PDA

View Full Version : Got A Question

voodoocadoo
04-22-2008, 06:47 PM
what would you guys recomend for rear gears for a SBC i am running 273 now and its dead would you use 303 or 323:confused: any help would be great

Russ

Wheel Racing
04-22-2008, 08:28 PM
All things considered you can run the more popular 308, but 273 will work. The 273 allows more room for error with the handling and although they feel "dead" the SBC will not have the same feel as the Caddy. The big block will always feel stronger. 2 different animals. Good Luck

j-rod
04-22-2008, 08:56 PM
Any car that can run a big inch motor, should use a big inch motor. You cant beat the torque. 425 472 500 427 454 455 460: any of these has to have an advantage. While conforming to the 'rules' this division is making id say about 1 hp per c.i.,,,due the math 350 chevy(if built right) = approx. 350 h.p. 500 caddy(if built right) = approx. 500 h.p. Its been a few years since i ran my 425 caddy , but i think theres only 100 lb. difference between 350 and 500.. ????

RGeeProductions
04-22-2008, 09:31 PM
j-rod hit it on the nose exactly...
When we raced BB, we had a 500.1 caddy motor and the horsepower vs the added weight is well worth it. And a WHOLE different feel in the car.

Tracy87BB
04-23-2008, 06:18 AM
I guess the whole discussion of motors is off-topic from the question Russ had, but I'd just like to be the devil's advocate for a minute. In our BB car, we ran both big blocks and small blocks. The preference - the small block. When Chris finished 3rd in points, he had a small block in the car. When he finished 2nd in points, he had a small block in the car. When he won the championship...well, you guessed it...small block. And he finished 8 points ahead of Bobby Gardner, who - to the best of my knowledge - had a big block Caddy in the car. Proof that the small block can be just as competitive as a big block. You can have all the motor in the world, but if you can't stick it to the track, it does you absolutely no good. With straightaways as short as they are at Riverhead, it is NOT a motor track. Yes, having a competitive motor is important, but handling is the only thing that's going to really get you up front. Just my two cents.

Back to Russ' question...if you're running 273 and you feel like you're "dead," you might want to look into the cam or the timing...one of those may be off base. You could try 308 gears, but as Wheel said, the 273 should work.

Tower Man
04-23-2008, 09:35 AM
Remember the staights are only 300 feet long. Riverhead is not a horsepower track. You need tourque. You need to pull off the corners and be at top RPM quickly. Smoking the tires and reving over 6000 rpm's with a 4000 lb car is not healthy. You still have to make the turns.

chris061
04-23-2008, 09:34 PM
Russ,
The 308's will help a 273 for me would never be enough.But one thing to check into is who built that motor cause they will be able to get you in the right direction.what rpm's are you turning? From what i have felt if you are turning less than 6400 rpms you will have the "dead" feeling.You shouldnt need any more than the 308's, If you are still having problems look into a cam change !
chris

Tower Man
04-24-2008, 07:14 AM
Chris my engine builder disagrees with you on the 6400 rpm's. Basically it's what you are accustomed too. You can run 5700 - 5900 rpm's and still be fast. Your engine does not have to scream to be fast.

There are so many other factors, such as corner speed, weight transfer and even the line you run.

j-rod
04-24-2008, 04:36 PM
2.42 gears are the way to go,,5000 rpm. With a big motor lol

voodoocadoo
04-24-2008, 07:22 PM
Hey thanx every one ,and I know what ya mean Chris its just differnt from the caddy and the road coarse viper I drive ,it just seems to have no pull.I was just wondering if the 323 would be too much.I will ask The guy I bought it from for some more info I am still having a lot of fun out at RR I thought about a late model maybe next year.Again thank you all for your help and I will see ya at the track :cheers:

Russ

nobandwagonhere
04-25-2008, 12:18 AM
Lets not forget, tranny size plays a factor here also. But Im going with J-Rod on this one...lol:help::p

RickFigure8
04-26-2008, 08:42 PM
You need to see if you can find out any info on the camshaft you are running and find out what the horsepower range of that cam is. If the car is doggy off the turns and seems to come on near the end of the straightaway you need more gear, if it's flattening out halfway down the straightaway it needs less gear. If you have the cam specs and the power range peaks at 6,500rpm Then you'd like to have gearing so that you reach 6,500 just as you lift for the turns, while also making sure you are dropping out of the power range of the cam in the turns.

art11758
04-27-2008, 02:24 PM
In keeping with what Rick is getting at, remember too that you are running single valvesprings. (6500 sound like a lot of r's to me on single stock appearing valvesprings) If you are lacking in grunt,the less expensive way out is gear. As deep as you dare considering what I just mentioned. A long conversation with your cam grinder with details about the cam rule and other specifics will go a long way towards optimizing the overal performance. Just my $.02

RickFigure8
04-27-2008, 05:44 PM
We have to run oem stock single springs on the figure8 V8's and we're up around 6,800rpm. A few years back we ran the 100 lap White lake race turning 7,300, lol.

Tower Man
04-28-2008, 08:33 AM
Ah yes...White Lake...I remember it well. A true run what ya brung race. Dirt Mods, Aspahlt Mods, Figure 8's, Sprint Cars Late Models etc...

And who could forget the party at the hotel? Oooopppss, sorry. I forgot...what happened at White Lake stayed at White Lake.

But yes there are many factors in providing umph to a motor.