PDA

View Full Version : Remembering Ernie Maynor

Dwight Clock
04-30-2008, 10:10 PM
Tomorrow, May 1st, will mark 26 years since we lost our good friend Ernie Maynor. It's hard to believe that it has been that long. And I don't know what I miss most. His ever present smile, his willingness to help others, his amazing energy, or his competitiveness on the track. All were integral parts of what Ernie was made of. I know that my world was made a better place because of Ernie and I'm sure many others as well. And I know that Ernie and Luigi are having a great time together right now. Rest in peace, good buddy.

RickFigure8
05-01-2008, 12:36 AM
So true Dwight, and don't forget Willie and Johnny Zell, they'd be right there too. 71, 72 I spent most of my time in the pits after the show by Jimmy Hendrickson. In 74 I started going down by Ernie. Why Ernie out of 70 or 80 drivers, who knows, I think I just enjoyed watching him on the track. In 75 I started going by Ernies house and helping him work on the car. In early 77 Ernie asked me if I wanted to race, that he could get me a good deal on a good car. I told him I had no place to keep it or work on it and he said I could keep it by him. I had many good times with Ernie, as I did with Willie, Johnny, and Luigi.
Rick

RickFigure8
05-01-2008, 12:48 AM
Ernie was killed the night of close friend Barry Estler's wedding.

Teds Race Tours
05-01-2008, 05:07 AM
Still Remembering the Wrench.:)

Dwight Clock
05-01-2008, 06:24 AM
Thanks so much for that photo, Rick. I had forgotten that detail of Barry being married that night. I went to school with Barry and I lived a short ways from Ernie, on S. Clinton Ave. near the marina.

Tracy87BB
05-01-2008, 08:43 AM
Just a reminder (thanks BF) that the annual Ernie Maynor Memorial race presented by Barasso & Sons Mason Supplies will be held on Saturday, June 21st as everyone continues to "Remember the Wrench."

leah28racing
05-01-2008, 09:00 AM
May 2nd is when he passed.
Rick great pic. My dad is going to like this one. Im printing it out for him. He doesn't have that one.