PDA

View Full Version : Hanbury Motorsports May Newsletter

RGeeProductions
05-01-2008, 08:10 AM
The racing season for Tony Hanbury and the Hanbury Motorsports Team goes into full swing during the first weekend of May. As Tony starts defending his Whelen All – American Series NASCAR SST Modified Chemung Speedrome track championship. Along with his Whelen All – American Series NASCAR New York State Championship. During the month of May Tony will also make his Modified debut at Spencer along with driving the John Resus owned SST Modified at Spencer in Friday night racing action.

APRIL REWIND

12th – Tony drove his second SST Modified that is owned by his dad, Bob at the Mahoning Valley Speedway in the Frost Free 100. Sponsorship help for this car came from Owego Sanitation, NAPA Auto Parts of Owego, Raytech Security, and Fastech Race Car Bodies.
It was a frustrating day for Hanbury Motorsports at Mahoning Valley . Tony never really did get a good opportunity to hot lap as the car never seemed to be getting enough fuel to power it. The float in the carburetor was changed, cleaned, and changed once again.
Tony timed 19th quick of the 21 cars who took time and his fast lap was 10.539. This put Tony into the heat race where he started last and ended up third but it seemed for the most part that the car was getting all the power it could handle.
In the 100 lap feature Tony lined up in 19th place starting spot. Knowing that patience and racing luck would be a big key in how much success a driver would have in this race. Tony settled in behind veteran driver Pete Brittain during the early portion of the feature.
After 10 laps, the field got strung out Tony started to make his move to the front. When the caution appeared on lap 18 Tony was already up to 8th position and the hopes of a good finish was riding high.
However the hopes of a good finish started to diminish on the restart as Tony got caught in the outside groove and this saw him drop back to 12th in only a few laps. On lap 31 and in 11th position Tony was forced to pull the car into the infield with an overheating condition, ending his evening of racing.
Afterwards Tony commented on the day of racing. “ I’m happy that the car didn’t get wrecked and it is going into the trailer in one piece. I can fix the problems that we had all day long as I think we’re having a distributor problem as the car would go good for a few laps and start sputtering again. We’re not sure why the car overheated but as soon as I got into 8th I noticed that the temperature gauge was at 240 and I didn’t want to blow the motor up and that is why I pulled it in. Another positive on the day was the fact that we didn’t buy one new tire at all today and that saved us some money for sure. “
Tony continued on about getting laps on his backup car. “ I feel we’re one step ahead of everyone else who has a backup car. We got some laps on this car, had some problems but figured them out; we know how the car is reacting to changes. The biggest thing is if we have to run this car we know what we got already and it won’t take much for us to get it as good as the primary car.
19th & 20th – Chemung Speedrome Arnot Mall Car Show. One of the perks of winning the Whelen All – American Series NASCAR SST Modified track championship is getting the prime location for the Arnot Mall Car show the following season. On Saturday and Sunday Tony had his winning SST NASCAR Modified on display in the Center Court of the Arnot Mall.
“ Sure I would have loved to be racing this weekend but having my car displayed in the Center Court of the Arnot Mall for the Chemung Speedrome Car Show was more important “ said Tony. “ It’s important for me but also just as important for my sponsors because if it wasn’t for them I more than likely wouldn’t be racing. Plus the non racing people who come to the Arnot Mall know from previous years that the best car at Chemung the year before is always in Center Court . So it was pretty neat seeing people looking over my car and commenting how good it looked and also saying that because of where it was located it was the best car at Chemung last year. “
26th – Chemung Speedrome Test & Tune. Tony used this Saturday afternoon test and tune session basically to see if everything was all set to go on his primary mount.
Tony had this to say about the test and tune session. “ We ran between 20 and 25 laps just to see that there was no leaks in the motor and nothing fell off the car. The plan coming into today was to shake the car down along with breaking the motor in and that is exactly what we did. “
Tony commented on his overall thoughts from the day. “ I was pretty happy as everything went according to plan. It was a very low key day for me we did turn some quick laps on used tires which was encouraging. I can’t wait for this Saturday night. “
Marketing and promotional sponsorship opportunities with Hanbury Motorsports are now available by contacting either Tony Hanbury at tonyhanbury@lycos.com or JR Kennerup at JR’s Motorsports Media mkennerup@hotmail.com. Media who wish to interview Tony can either contact him personally at the above e – mail address or contact JR’ s Motorsports Media to set the interview up.

2008 STATS AS OF MAY 1, 2008

1 Modified start at Mahoning Valley , 18th place finish, DNF due to overheating.

SPONSORS
Hanbury Motorsports would like to thank the following sponsors of their 2008 racing season. Papa Johns of Johnson City and Owego, Gail Clark Race Engines, Kolba Construction, Dave Jackson, Mr. Koffee, Scott Smith and Son, Chuck Talcott Well Drilling, NAPA Auto Parts of Owego, John’s Fine Foods, Nelcorp, Chandler Race Products, Raytech Security, Family Fitness Center of Nichols, North 40, PDG Graphics, P. J. Byrne Restoration Company, Parts Plus of Owego, Fastech Race Car Bodies, Owego Sanitation, Hanbury Sanitation, Harris Diner, and Tri County Refrigeration.

MAY RACING SCHEDULE
3rd – SST NASCAR Modified at Chemung Speedrome Season Opener 40 laps.
10th – SST NASCAR Modified at Chemung Speedrome 40 laps.
16th – NASCAR Modified at Spencer Speedway Whelen Engineering Season Opener 50 laps. SST NASCAR Modified 35 laps.
17th – SST NASCAR Modified at Chemung Speedrome Whelen Night 40 laps.
23rd – SST NASCAR Modified at Spencer Speedway VP Race Fuels Night 35 laps.
24th – SST NASCAR Modified at Chemung Speedrome 40 laps.
30th – SST NASCAR Modified at Spencer Speedway USG Night 35 laps.
31st – SST NASCAR Modified at Chemung Speedrome VP Race Fuels Night 40 laps.

*Schedule is subject to change depending on weather related postponements and rescheduling of postponed events.

JR’S MOTORSPORTS MEDIA / HANBURY MOTORSPORTS