PDA

View Full Version : Prejudice about victory lane???

Turbo
05-05-2008, 07:17 PM
Now I know we all discussed the whole situation about how many people in victory lane last year BUT it really seems like the officials really had it out for the TURBUSH victory lane?!?!?! Now I want everyone to all go take a look at all the victory lane pictures that is up on the jam from this past week and count the total amount of people in victory lane. If you count the Turbush victory lane there was 11 people, including me which Bob finan (thank you for that) had them open the gate for me to come out. Why did they not let a FEW people out from the stands for the TURBUSH victory??? There was only about 20 ppl out in the stands anyways that night!! LOLOL I see they let people out for every other victory lane that night EXCEPT the chargers! RIDICULOUS! Im gonna say this right now, if they dont let out all my family, sponsors, and everyone who helps me on my truck, out to victory lane, if I happen to actually win.. i will just drop the flag and head to the pits! I brought about 10 people to the track this past saturday night, 6 of em which were sponsors and the other 4 are affiliated with my sponsors in some way. There are about 10 more that want to come but the weather was nasty or they had other plans. So if they pull a stunt like that with my sponsors not being able to come out there to take pictures with me, what makes you think they want to be affiliated with Riverhead Raceway?!?! They are giving me so much money to race and be apart of Riverhead Raceway tradition and thats one thing I hope they will not have to experience. I think its all because of the past where my father always had tons of people in his victory lane shots... friends family and sponsors!! I think something has to be worked out where just IN CASE you happen to actually win, you discuss with the officials before hand to work out that you a certain amount of sponsors and crew members that help you get into that place where you WANT them to be there! I am not saying I want every single friend out there for my victory lane (if it ever happens) and cause a circus out there which causes so much time to pass by trying to get all these people in place but I would like a few out there at least! The bottom line to this is I dont like how they did not open the gate for my brothers victory lane from the grandstands where a few people could come out there and they opened the grandstand gates for every other victory lane. Lets please stay consistent for everybody and not just a certain few!

bulldozer
05-05-2008, 07:29 PM
I have to agree with my brother.I know the weather was bad and they wanted to push the show along.All i needed was one picture with everyone and then we would of got off .It doesnt take any longer if 10 or 25 people take 1 photo.Just 1 photo.Not seperate photos just 1.You getting this allen iverson just 1.Hope it is different next time around or i will just take the checkered flag into the pits and have my own group photo.Maybe then i can have more than 10 people.For us to have that many people in a picture tells you something.We are bringing in some fans and family to the race track even on a raining cold night.We are supporting our local track.We are bringing people into riverhead and then riverhead tells us just 10.16 people in the blunderbust picture 15 in the late model picture 21 in the figure 8 picture.I have more than 10 family members there not including crew and sponsors.Just let everyone out there and then just one photo any seperate photos can be done in the pits.I think it is privlege to walk out onto that track to go to victory lane lets not take that away.

btgoss
05-05-2008, 09:41 PM
Well I wasn't there... but from the opening night thread that was deleted, it sounds like there weren't that many people there... and with most of the Riverhead crowd being either a Turbush or a blood relation of some sort, maybe they didn't want more people on the track then in the stands? :)

RACENUT
05-05-2008, 09:58 PM
maybe they just wanted to get the show over with before it rained and i'm sure the fans appreciated getting out of the cold early. you can always take pictures by the car with your sponsors after the show.

nobandwagonhere
05-05-2008, 10:10 PM
maybe they just wanted to get the show over with before it rained and i'm sure the fans appreciated getting out of the cold early. you can always take pictures by the car with your sponsors after the show.
Yea...all 37 people in the grandstands.
Anyway, I was a little bothered when my 3 year old nephew (who by the way is a big Roger Turbush fan..lol) and his father whos name is ON that car was turned down at the gate. Pitiful.

modified_fan
05-05-2008, 10:13 PM
It was darned cold out there and we all wanted to compress the evening and get back to warmth.

I side with the Turbush's here. Sponsors and family are the blood flowing thru the veins of this racetrack.

Do the photo's and do them fast as you need to, but don't take the their fun out of this place in their moments of victory.

Turbo
05-05-2008, 10:32 PM
I agree with getting the show over quickly as I was happy to get outta there as well. Guess they werent worried about gettin the show over due to rain after the Blunderbust, late model, modifieds, and figure 8's??? That was the main point I was trying to get through in my first message, if they do something for one victory lane, dont change it for anothers victory lane!

Ka$h25
05-05-2008, 11:07 PM
you can always take pictures by the car with your sponsors after the show.

More importantly you can do that EVERY week. What we're talking about is celebrating a victory. It's a team effort, it shouldn't be the driver and the 10 random selected persons in victory lane, it should be the whole team.

allhailunc
05-06-2008, 03:25 AM
wasn't there a rule that they were "supposed" to enforce limiting the number of victory lane participants?I used to love when Rusty or Danny won for it was like half of Riverhead out there and i'd always be saying "they're smiling but so is the photographer" however if they are to enforce this "supposed' rule then they have to enforce if for all no matter who you are or who your sponsors are.it sucks but everyone complains when rules aren't enforced so why when rules are???

Ka$h25
05-06-2008, 08:10 AM
I'm sure there wouldn't be as much of a complaint if it was done right. I counted 15 plus for BB, and I think 20 for figure-8. I think it's obvious that they expected a large crowd and decided to prevent it, unjustifiably.

modprincess8x
05-06-2008, 08:43 AM
There are ways that the process can be sped up with 10 people on the track or 100...take a group shot first and if there are sponsors and family that the driver wants a picture with take those next while getting the rest of the crowd back into the stands. The track needs a picture of the driver alone and that should be the last picture taken while everyone else is getting off the track. The track also makes sure that there is a picture taken with their divisional sponsors because they send those pictures to the sponsors the same respect needs to be given to the drivers and their sponsors. Maybe limit the drivers to 4-5 pictures instead of limiting the amount of people.

hollywoodmic
05-06-2008, 09:51 AM
Here's an idea. You put a time limit on the races. Why not give the flagman a stop watch and you have to adhere to a time limit in Victory Lane to keep the show moving. If you choose to have 30 people in Victory Lane, we only have a certain amount of time to take pictures. Let the Flagman announce in a countdown format to the driver how much time is left in victory lane. If you're a long interview, you take less pictures. If you are a quick interview take 50 pics. If your crew takes their time getting out there, you get less. I just think time is time, it's up to you and your team how you manage your Victory Lane time. If you don't get the pics you want it falls on you not the racetrack. They are just trying to move the show along. Just a suggestion. Congrats on your win Chris.

Jeff T
05-06-2008, 09:56 AM
I've been saying this for a couple of years now, but I think that they should have an off track victory lane for pictures and interviews which borders the pits and grandstands. This way, you can get everyone in the picture that you want and need to have in the picture AND you don't have to worry about slowing down the show. I think that they should put a fenced in area outside of turn four in that big open spot between the pit gate and the Grandstands. Albany-Saratoga Raceway upstate has done this for years and it works great! JMO

Fkraft99
05-06-2008, 10:12 AM
thats what they do at waterford as well jeff. or at least used to. they allow the driver to do a victory lap, do and interview with the driver so he can thank everyone. and then there is a victory lane set up just outside turn 4. between the general admission stands and the pits, this way its not closed off to the people that arent in the pits.

another point to bring up as well in saving time is, lining the feature up before it hits the track. this way whenever victory lane is over, they can just roll right onto the track. without a need to stop on the frontstretch and line themselves up. that would save a good 5-10 minutes there. and i dont think it would be as hard as it seems. just need a little cooperatation from the drivers. if u know ur starting up front, get over there early... if ur in the back give the guys thats are starting up front a little time to get over there. and then just have an official stand somewhere around the middle of the schute maybe about the scales are and line the guys up 3-wide. so they can pull out in order, get themselves doubled up and never have to stop rolling on the front stretch. a side not to that is that i know there are guys that have to get over there early, bub turbush for example cause he goes up to watch roger race... just park that car in one of the opening parking spots there where they impound cars after time trials, and just blend in line wherever u belong... getting this accomplished should save about 5-10 min, and give you plenty of time to do your victory lane with 100 people if u wanted to.

Tower Man
05-06-2008, 10:56 AM
I saw one girl crying because she couldn't go out. Then she was on the cell phone hysterical asking to go home. Nice real nice.

I never criticize here, but this time I will. I know if my team wins I would be hard pressed to pick the"10". Geez, my driver has 5 sisters and 2 brothers. Two are married and two have significant others. There are 5 neices and niefews. Then all the sponsers. I count 20...that's a problem.

Consistency was not the case. Handled poorly by track officials. Hopefully it won't happen again.

W. J.
05-06-2008, 10:58 AM
Good idea, Fred, it's something I've considered suggesting for some time. Many tracks line the cars up in the pits for that reason; no reason Riverhead can't give it a try.

SuperShafts
05-06-2008, 01:12 PM
Paint checkers right outside the track exit just behind the pit seats and go there and take pictures till you can't afford the film anymore and laugh and talk and carry on without holding up everything else.

The simple problem is there is only 1 track for which it's purpose is to race on, so limiting and or just stopping the pictures on track totally should be the direction it's headed, and just have an area outside like most tracks have.

randomrodder
05-06-2008, 01:46 PM
It gives the growd some time to buy pizza. Ugh, did I just say, buy pizza at the track?

There is a checked flag pattern on the ground with a white background in the pit area. Perfect spot for the winner's photo, utilized it.

Turbo
05-06-2008, 02:38 PM
I do like the idea of victory lane being on the ramp for all the pictures. The driver can do his usual on track interview and picture with the race sponsors at the start finish line only to proceed with pictures with crew, family and sponsors in the designated area right by the ramp.

Fkraft99
05-06-2008, 03:00 PM
only problem with the designated spot in the pits, is that its in the pits. so now it still limits the people u have in your photo because they have to be signed into the pits. cant really have small kids running around back there when they next feature is heading onto the track.

modprincess8x
05-06-2008, 03:02 PM
The problem with having victory lane pictures off the track and as many as you want is there is only one photographer...cant be taking victory lane pictures and pictures on the track of the races at the same time. I know that we (Denise's Photos) do not sell enough pictures to pay to have 2 photographers taking pictures. So that eliminates taking Victory lane pics off the track as other races are starting or going on.

hollywoodmic
05-06-2008, 03:09 PM
In July of 07 I wrote this on the same topic:

I wrote that in a previous post, do the interview on the track and do everthing else over in 3 and 4. The only problem you may have is if one driver dumps another and the fans don't like it, then you may have a riot over there. On the bright side, you can have as many people over there as you like for pictures, and the driver can sign autographs, perhaps talk to the fans and one fan may even become a sponsor. Just a thought, I don't know how you would get the car out there unless they came in through the side gate between the Cromarty's office and the funnel cake stand. It could be [/I[I]]real interactive for the fans.

It was a good idea back then and it's still a good idea now.

DODGE99
05-06-2008, 04:28 PM
Die Hard race fans wont care if a winner takes what MAYBE 5 or 10 extra minutes on the racetrack ... ya cant blame EVERYTHING on the weather guys! i deleted my post because thats what it was coming to, the weather wasnt the only factor that ruined the night! TRUTH HURTS doesnt it??? but some things NEED to be changed thats all! And from what i understood when all the changing of managment over the winter all those STUPID rules would have been taken cared of, but it seems as if things are getting worse. I am a racecar driver and to be honest its not the end of the world to me if there are 10 or 1000 people in the stands, as long as im doing what i love with other people of the same interest! BUT after a victory i would definately like to celebrate AT THAT MOMENT with EVERYONE that has helped me get there! And i agree completely with Freddy, make a GENERAL area to take pictures with THE ENTIRE crew, friends and family AFTER an interview and victory lap ON THE RACE TRACK! And lining the field up in the chute before hand, great idea! But seeing how coordinated some of the drivers are on the race track saturday night, asking them to be in position in the pit too!! that might be asking a wee bit too much.

spabler
05-06-2008, 04:33 PM
This subject has been around and discussed for years, here is my take on it. Have the victory lane pictures and driver celebration on the track as per cup procedures.
The winner does his or her victory lap and hole shot, goes to victory lane gets the picture taken, proceeds to teck if the car passes it goes to the checkered wall with all the other winners of the night.
The races are over and the pit gates are opened, at this point the track photographer can be available to do victory lane photo opts with anyone. Much safer and will hold the crowds interest as they will get more at the end of the night, as it is now the fan has to seek out the winners in each division, grouped together they are more accessible. Also gives the track a group picture of all the nights winners to be used for marketing.
JMO

randomrodder
05-06-2008, 04:42 PM
only problem with the designated spot in the pits, is that its in the pits. so now it still limits the people u have in your photo because they have to be signed into the pits. cant really have small kids running around back there when they next feature is heading onto the track.

Good point.

spabler
05-06-2008, 04:45 PM
Thanks I think?

randomrodder
05-06-2008, 05:16 PM
Thanks I think?

I was in agreement, I hadn't thought of that, DOH. Plus the fact that the next feature cars would be driving right past that spot.

SuperShafts
05-06-2008, 05:24 PM
Lol this is only a problem here... only on long island.

How about this since everyone needs to be on the track...

Quick questions as to why that driver won...his usual answer with thanks to the ______ _____ car and crew... then off the track, the next venue on already in order since they had the last 5 laps of the race previously to get it together..any car not in place goes to the back... (imagine how great following rules are)

Then at the end of the night all the winning cars can come back on track and take those special pictures with no backdrop like the section in the pits...

The Bullfather
05-06-2008, 06:12 PM
backdrop???? The fence? The trailer is gone! Hey I do my Pitbulls there during the warmer weather months! lol :lol:

Turbo
05-06-2008, 06:31 PM
The only problem i would think if you waited until all the races are over is the fact that some sponsors live up the island and want to get home and or some friends and family for that matter. Good idea but stinks you have to wait until all the features are over. Its best felt and celebrated right after the race is done! Hopefully something gets done, its all good things with all these ideas being expressed. Keep the ideas coming and maybe , just maybe the management or officials will compromise and we can all be satisfied with a solution! :applause:

The Bullfather
05-06-2008, 07:12 PM
I'd like to see and it will never happen! Is, if you do something like Thompson has, victory lane off the track, but still near enough to the press box and the fans! There is a gate and it's a path for EMT to get to the east side of the stands! But this will never happen! :)

Tommyj16
05-06-2008, 07:33 PM
RHD has the perfect area at the gate to enter pits at turn 4 of oval they should piant an area w/ checked flag and then the driver can have all family members and fans,sponsors in photo's. the the driver can do interview on track go in pits over scales then to the designated spot of or go right to spot then scales

spabler
05-06-2008, 09:13 PM
Extend the spectator area to encompass the area in which the checkered wall is, one more gate and guard a little more fence problem solved

Jaws
05-06-2008, 10:11 PM
I feel for the people who did not get on the track, years back I was helping a driver in the pits and he won that night. It was pretty cool to be on the track.

Its not Daytona but it sure does feel pretty cool being on the track while the show is going on with all the fans in the stands, the excitement of just winning a race etc. I got to go out with my son after TC won a tour race, that was pretty neat.

As long as the next race is ready to go and the people get off and on the track quickly I have no problem.

How about the crew goes out in turn 3 while the next race comes on to the track in 4, that way both can happen at the same time.

W. J.
05-07-2008, 10:44 AM
How about the crew goes out in turn 3 while the next race comes on to the track in 4, that way both can happen at the same time.They do not allow race cars to be moving on the track when people (other than track crew and officials) are present for obvious safety reasons. It's a good idea, we don't want to see anyone get hurt because they wander to the wrong spot, or because some driver is being a 'hotdog'.

BernerMotorsprt
05-07-2008, 09:04 PM
I agree with Modprincess in her comment(There are ways that the process can be sped up with 10 people on the track or 100...take a group shot first and if there are sponsors and family that the driver wants a picture with take those next while getting the rest of the crowd back into the stands. The track needs a picture of the driver alone and that should be the last picture taken while everyone else is getting off the track. The track also makes sure that there is a picture taken with their divisional sponsors because they send those pictures to the sponsors the same respect needs to be given to the drivers and their sponsors. Maybe limit the drivers to 4-5 pictures instead of limiting the amount of people.) Everyone has good ideas but sometimes things would have to be adjusted that the track can not control there are a handful of drivers that race various divisions and situations are going to come up that are out of there control for example they have tried the pit line up situation they had to wait to give the mods a few extra minutes while waiting for Dave Brigati and Tom Rogers to both get out of there late models and into there modifieds. It is alot of time and money and the few extra minutes that they get to appreciate everyone who supports them should not be limited to the amount of people but maybe the amount of photos.

Ka$h25
05-08-2008, 11:00 AM
I kind of have to laugh at this. Every reasonable solution mentioned, sacrifices one aspect or another. When in reality, what is 5 minutes? If you really can't stand to sit there and watch the victory lane process, get up, walk around, go to the bathroom, do something to kill time. I think their are far greater wastes of time at Riverhead Raceway rather then photos being taken.

vsmidge68
05-08-2008, 03:38 PM
:applause:

voodoocadoo
05-08-2008, 04:52 PM
have you been to the track with several kids they cant stand waiting and want to know why some guys is talking for 10 minutes on the mic and taking a bunch of pics.We all want the same thing but there really needs to be a limit and as far as changing thind=gs around if the track has to spend money to do it I really dont see it happening so weather you bring 10 20 or a hundred people it shoukld take no longer than 5 minutes for pics and stuff then everyone would be happy

Tower Man
05-09-2008, 07:11 AM
Rich, I see your point. Been there, done that, while I was suspended in '96. However, when the day comes and you are in victory lane, 5 minutes will seem like 5 seconds.

LongIslandJam
05-09-2008, 10:07 PM
Well, tomorrow's a new race day and opportunity. There's been some great suggestions, but keep in mind you'll never make everybody happy.

Here's to a better day tomorrow:)