PDA

View Full Version : Evergreen Reunion

Geno
05-19-2008, 04:14 PM
Evergreen Reunion taking shape for June 14

In conjunction with round #3 of the PA Asphalt Modified Champ Series, Mountain Speedway, Formerly known as Evergreen Raceway will host its first annual “Evergreen Reunion” on Saturday, June 14. Also on the card for the evening are the late models, street stocks and thrillers. The Eastern Museum of Motor Racing will also be on hand.

After the 1999 season, Evergreen Raceway became Mountain Speedway, under the promotion of Hazleton’s Joe Callavini.
Currently, the speedway is going through the archives and attempting to gather a group of past racers and champions from Evergreen Raceway for the first annual affair.

After approval from speedway staff, any past division champion will be able to enter the pit area, free of charge. Past competitors are encouraged to participate, and are asked not only to support the speedway at present, but also to help preserve the rich racing history at the popular racing venue.

All champions prior to the 1999 season are eligible and are asked to contact Gene Ostrowski, the speedway media relations person at gjtost@verizon.net for the proper sign up form. Drivers of the past who would like to participate will need to fill out the form as well. Prior to the reunion, forms will also be available at the track on race day.

Any drivers who have won a championship prior to 1999, yet are still racing and plan to compete on June 14, will need to purchase a pit pass for the evening. However, those drivers will receive one free grandstand pass for a family member.

Both past champions and competitors of the past will be introduced throughout the evening. They will also meet and greet the fans and sign autographs.

Don’t let it pass you by. The reunion begins in less than a month. With plenty of the speedways past talent present, along with a full slate of racing planned, the Evergreen Reunion should help bring back many memories to any racing fanatic- fan or racer.

Geno
05-19-2008, 08:30 PM
And the list begins…….
So far, in attendance will be:

Past Champions
Richie Jensen
Dale Fey
Dave Reynolds
Chuck Schartzer
Roger Heffelfinger, Jr.
Kirk Buchanan
Steve Clark
Barry Callavini
Brian DeFebo
Mike Hosier
Rod Aton
Roy Kunkel
Gordy Buchman
Mike Uhrin
Brian Wozniak
Eric Eigeldinger- Good possibility
Jeff Rex- Good possibility
Jim Yamelski- Good possibility

Past Competitors
Billy Walker
Homer Keinert
Chris Ammon
Kenny Sones

There’s plenty more to contact. I’ll be posting a list of past champions soon Below), or you can click on the past champions link on the Mountain website. If you know how to contact the drivers on the list, please pass it along to gjtost@verizon.net

thriller 34
05-26-2008, 01:09 AM
i know that he now owns wheels bar and grill in nuangola pa and the phone number is 868-3114.....i have no idea if he would be interested but its probibly worth a shot at calling the bar and asking for dale......everytime ive been in there he has been there

Geno
05-26-2008, 09:09 AM
Thanks...I'll give him a call.

Geno
05-28-2008, 12:32 PM
Thanks to everyone who helped out with hunting down some of the past champs.

Here is a list of the folks that I need contact info for yet. Everyone else is either coming, or have plans that weekend. One thing for certain is that EVERY past champ and competitor that I have talked with are very happy about coming out to the track for the first annual get-together.

Dave Sarno
Johnny Yerger
Dennis “Gus” Lewis
Tommy Dawson
Glenn Ujvary
Todd Stele
Freddy Hamm
Mike Berger
Dave Hower

Thanks again for your help and interest.
Geno

Grandstand
05-28-2008, 02:11 PM
Geno... Todd Stehle and Todd Geist are racing down at Mahoning still... doubt they will be able to miss a week down there....

Geno
05-28-2008, 02:29 PM
I know, but thought it would be rude if they didn't receive the proper invite anyway.

Grandstand
05-28-2008, 02:35 PM
Maybe they would come if their division wasn't racing....
:)

Geno
06-02-2008, 04:45 PM
Throw this one back to the top for a while.:lol:

kinserfan11
06-02-2008, 09:38 PM
Geno; what about Russ Frantz #110 Modified Champion:cheers:

Geno
06-02-2008, 09:45 PM
Talked to Paul & Russ might be there, just not definite yet. Talked to all of the past champs with the exception of the ones listed above. If they're not on the list, either they have other plans or are undecided.

I do have to say that everyone that I've spoken with is looking forward to it even if they won't be able to attend.:)

There's nothing "super special" planned for everyone- just want to get them all out to meet the fans and hopefully share a few stories when we have a few minutes. Espicially during intermission and caution periods in the races.

BlingxBling
06-02-2008, 10:51 PM
My memory seems to be failing as old age sets in, was Frank Greco ever a champion? Not sure why he stands out in my mind...

White Lightnin
06-02-2008, 11:03 PM
Yes, in 2000. He won it in something called a Pro Stock.

Grandstand
06-03-2008, 12:51 PM
Now Frank was exciting to watch!!!

BlingxBling
06-03-2008, 02:47 PM
Yes he was! That black number 11 stands out....

Geno
06-03-2008, 04:27 PM
The black #11 car was once the 17C of Steve Clark in 1990- finished 2nd in points. He sold it to Kirk Buchanan at the end of the season. Kirk finished 2nd in points in ’91 & won the title in ’92. Sold the car to Chuck Schartzer at the end of ’92 and Chuck won the ’93 title. Chuck sold the car to Frank and he won the title at Mountain Speedway in 2000.

What do ya think Bob and Chuck, does that sound right??

White Lightnin
06-03-2008, 05:11 PM
It actually started out as a Buick Grand National #47 and yellow in color. Built by Gary Ritter from New Jersey way back in the early 1980's to run the 3/4 mile track at Pocono. In 1989 the first Evergreen car show was held at the Wyoming Valley Mall and for some reason the #47 car was on display there. It sat right next to Steve Clark's Thriller and Gooch Gallucci's Street Stock (Clark's original #17 from 1988). It had no success with Ritter at Pocono - it sure looked good though. Maybe Frank still has the car but if you ask Mike O, I'm sure he will tell you that the original Street Stocks/Pro Stocks were only a rumour anyway.

White Lightnin
06-03-2008, 05:20 PM
Geno, do you remember why Steve Clark came in second to Dale Fey in 1990? It was of his own doing, if you recall.

Geno
06-03-2008, 05:58 PM
Hmmmm, to tell you the truth, I always assumed it was because he had sold the car before the last race.

White Lightnin
06-03-2008, 06:16 PM
The last race of the season rained out and the SS title was the only one left to be decided. The SS drivers voted to come back during the running of the open show that ended the season and decide it then. I was there when Clark protested running one more race. The next week Dale showed and Clark didn't. Did Kirk take posession of the car right after that rained out race date?

Geno
06-03-2008, 06:29 PM
I wasn't on Kirk's crew then, but I do remeber the annoucer saying that Clark had sold his car. Guess we'll find out on June 14 :)

Chuck Schartzer
06-04-2008, 07:40 AM
Frank still has it and its still on the trailer from the last time he ran it years ago

White Lightnin
06-04-2008, 07:47 AM
That would be the Frank Greco Memorial, I would be guessing. I'm still having flashbacks to that one.:disgusted

Grandstand
06-04-2008, 07:51 AM
He should dust it off and run it again!!!