PDA

View Full Version : BB Rules

Tower Man
05-28-2008, 07:26 AM
Okay, I got out the BIG spoon and the BIG pot, cause I'm gonna stir it up a bit.

The Blunderbust rules for 2008 still state that this is an entry level division. At what point do the local NASCAR officials step up and address this issue? Back in the Islip days in the Novice division, which was entry level, if you won 2 features in a single season, you had to move up to Street Stocks, (ala Paul Galvin).

Don't give me the cost factor or this is what "we" can afford. I run 2 cars and I am involved with 6 others in various divisions through my business. Between tires, fuel, pit fees and license fees, it cost the same, (except for replacement parts).

The division has cars in it which are 4200 lb Late Models/Chargers. In my opinion there are only 5 or 6 true Blunderbust cars in the division.

Not complaining, just stating fact as I see it.

nascar071
05-28-2008, 07:41 AM
Stir It Some Where Else

h.p.
05-28-2008, 09:03 AM
WHEN THE CARS PULL ONTO THE TRACK YOU HAVE TWO OPTIONS, GO WITH THEM, OR WAVE GOODBYE TO THOSE WHO GO ALONG FOR THE RIDE lol,:wave:

Tower Man
05-28-2008, 09:42 AM
It's funny how no one wants to address the issue.

H.P., we're going for the ride. All the way 110%.

Tracy87BB
05-28-2008, 09:54 AM
Well, Tower Man, I have to respectfully disagree with you as far as the cost factor is concerned. Keep in mind that I have owned both a BB car and a Charger car. We spent considerably more on a motor for the Charger car to run the Race of Champions and a few shows at Riverhead than we spent on the motor (and yearly maintenance, which was nothing more than valve springs) that ran in the BB car for four complete seasons. If I'm not mistaken, you were the man in charge for at least two of the three complete seasons that Chris ran on a total of 26 tires...winning a championship and collecting 2nd and 3rd place points finishes in those three years. And I can tell you right off the bat that we never soaked a single tire. Are you suggesting that you could do that in a Charger car and be competitive? Or in a Late Model? And who is going to come up with the intial investment to purchase the car? Chances are, you are not going to sell a BB car and get enough money out of it to buy something comparable in another division. There may be exceptions to the rule, but I'm speaking in broad terms. I will admit that maybe things have changed since we last ran the BB car, but I just don't see where it could be reasoned that a BB car costs the same amount to run as any other car. We had a BB car. We sold it so that Chris could move up a division. We ended up going back to the BB car because we simply did not have the backing to be competitive in a Charger car. So I'm not blowing smoke here...I've been there.

rydogg97
05-28-2008, 10:19 AM
you said you wanted to stir the pot!okay lets.you bought the best bb ride hands down but the car doesnt perform!!could what your stirring be that you are frustrated by this!!most drivers have years of time doing this.cost does matter it still is the cheapest to run but costs are climbing.just a suggestion instead of complaining why dont you strap in and see what it is really like!!ive done it and i wasnt very good i must admit but i did it.go out and stir the pot for yourself instead of someone else doing it for you.or as ron said [who by the way joins the bb fromm time to time and is fun to watch ]stir it somewhere else!!

h.p.
05-28-2008, 11:22 AM
tower man i hope its the ride we discussed at stafford let me know ready willing and able

KickItUp
05-28-2008, 12:35 PM
Every division has their top few. Look at the Chargers for example. You got 3-5 guys that don't compare to the rest of the class. It's all about budget in some cases, not just about the 'car'. It isn't about experience either, some guys choose this class for the racing, which very few other divisions have these days. Some, it's is budget. You can't run a competive charger on a shoestring. To me, entry level means entry level as in most affordable to get into racing. It's at the level someone with little money can run. If you have a little bit of money, or a few little sponsors, and want to race, you can.
So Tower.. are you gonna tell the 28 figure 8 car he has to get out of it cuz he has so many wins? Or the 39 LM? Those guys win a lot, that doesn't mean they should have to run something else. Run what you love, run what you can afford, and have some fun. If you aren't having any fun, you shouln't be behind the wheel at all. Go go kart racing..
And if you think all of these other non 5 or 6 guys are runnng LM's or charger's, protest, you boast about all the money you have, put it to better use then.

Golf Guy
05-28-2008, 04:09 PM
Not that I agree with Joe, but his post is that the BB are an entry level division as stated in the rules. Thus to compare the drivers and costs in other divisions is not fair. I do think the BB's have grown into something more than an entry level racing division and the enduro or go cart divisions are a better place to learn racing...

RACENUT
05-28-2008, 04:41 PM
golf guy that's a good idea, if joe wants to run in an entry level division, maybe he should take his car and driver and race in the grand enduros until he is competitive there, then move up to the blunderbust.

vsmidge68
05-28-2008, 05:08 PM
Correct me if I am wrong (which I'm sure someone will) but I don't think the BB division is even NASCAR sanctioned.

randomrodder
05-28-2008, 05:22 PM
I recall when the BB started. They had like 3 cars. A couple of tank Caddies and an Imperial or something. THAT was entry level racing.

fisherman
05-28-2008, 05:28 PM
:cool:when they allowed racing tires thats when the division got out of hand that and the chevys. just my opinion:applause:

Golf Guy
05-28-2008, 06:16 PM
golf guy that's a good idea, if joe wants to run in an entry level division, maybe he should take his car and driver and race in the grand enduros until he is competitive there, then move up to the blunderbust.

Read my post, I never said Joe should have his car or driver in a different division. Like I wrote, I believe the BB's have grown into more than a entry level division and the enduro's are probably a better fit for entry level racing if that is what you are looking for. This is just my opinion and I am not here to say who should or should not be in any particular division.

Gravel
05-28-2008, 09:24 PM
you said you wanted to stir the pot!okay lets.you bought the best bb ride hands down but the car doesnt perform!!could what your stirring be that you are frustrated by this!!most drivers have years of time doing this.cost does matter it still is the cheapest to run but costs are climbing.just a suggestion instead of complaining why dont you strap in and see what it is really like!!ive done it and i wasnt very good i must admit but i did it.go out and stir the pot for yourself instead of someone else doing it for you.or as ron said [who by the way joins the bb fromm time to time and is fun to watch ]stir it somewhere else!!

Joe, I just want to make myself clear to start with, I'm not defending Joe, but his statement.
Joe Larsen HAS strapped into a car in EVERY DIVISION that races at Riverhead except the Legends that I know of. He almost lost his life in a Fig. 8 car. He can drive.
The Blunderbust division was originally created as a entry level division. Things got out of control in a few years. While I was an official there, we tried to get it back to where it was intended to be. [i.e. blocking off the secondary's] We heard tons of uproar about that. So we decided to limit the cam to a .290 lift, which wasn't recieved to well either. Going back to street tires is one thing I'd like to see. We tried to keep costs down,[i.e. allowing nerf bars to protect the bodies so the drivers can save on paint, decals, body parts.] The cars need to be slowly back to where it started. Not all at once. Slowly. Thats how I feel.

chris061
05-28-2008, 09:46 PM
well as far as having to move up , that is a bunch of crap. i for one had a choice buy a house and race a bb or get out of racing. i would love to run a charger or late model but i dont have sponsors to make that happen! if a sponsor came foward , then i would move up tommorow. as far as the division being out of hand, what division isn't? its not just that some cars are better than others, some people spend more time on set ups and going over the car during the week. so as far as making people move up, i think it is a bad idea cause alot of people could never afford $20,000 a season on tires gas and parts alone to run a charger not including the 25000 for the car.if someone would do that, then i am sure all the old men would move up, i for one will go buy a car tommorow.
chris busick :mad:

Wheel Racing
05-28-2008, 10:08 PM
Entry Level went away years ago. Maybe I am crazy,but I don't even see it written in the rules(I could be wrong,but I don't see it). I do however agree that some cars have gotten out of control. There are certain cars that make the casual racer feel like they don't have a chance to ever win.That's fine,but dissapointing.There are certain rules that could use some tweaking. I would be all for a tire rule where there was a limit on the amount of tires you were allowed to purchase.That is a rule that could even the field a bit.That carburetor rule from a few years back was crazy and only going to cost the drivers more money. Most of the extra's that could be eliminated are in the tranny's,rears, and suspension. The motors do seem pretty equal for the most part.I am not going to lie, my car sits home because I can't afford to be as competitive as I want.I don't have the time or money to be a top 3 car right now and I don't want to just "show up" and drive around.I think the division still puts on a great show and yes there could be some adjustments just not the radical changes that some feel are necessary. I also am tired of hearing "entry level" associated with this class.Those days are gone.If we really wanted to go back to the past then all modifieds would be coupes and the Figure 8's would be 55 Chevy's. Let's work on today and stop worrying about yesterday so much.

RacinRob
05-28-2008, 11:02 PM
you cant take steps backwards...if you start taking things away than alot of cars would be 4100lb flower pots. The best car doesn't always go the fastest. The driver pays a big part also. Take it from me. I struggle to place in the top 10 with the best of everything. As my enduro family used to tell me its all about SEAT TIME!! :wave:

Tower Man
05-29-2008, 07:19 AM
Gravel...I drove the Jim Pape Legends car twice.

Gravel
05-29-2008, 08:58 AM
I'm talking small steps. Actually, if the rules were enforced across the board,[and I'm talking the book, not favorites]. For example, pull the tranny and inspect it. Check the length of the connecting rods. But if they do that, people will complain about money to put their engines back together. Now I'm not saying that the officials are selectivly enforcing some rules and ignoring others. It's just a time and cost issue. I still feel that if they went back to a street tire, one that would get weeks out of a set, and limit the amount of tires that a competitor can buy per week will help. The officials there are really in a tight spot. I hope it works out.

Joe, I didn't know about the Legends ride.

nascar071
05-30-2008, 03:13 PM
There's a reason they dont have that rule: IT DOESNT WORK. I know it was always my dream to watch Charlie J win 2 Features then move up to-------------------------------- UHHH, something he couldn't afford ! Then never race again!

Ka$h25
05-31-2008, 01:43 AM
There is no medium here, no one can be happy. There's several ways to handle it, yet each would be a headache for someone else. So the easiest thing to do-- is nothing.

As for towermans driver being the problem, I've seen a couple other "more accomplished" drivers sit in that car and do no better then the current driver.

voodoocadoo
05-31-2008, 08:45 PM
It just needs a little more work on set up it seems,its time thats needed and a driver who has seat time to tell a crew chief what it needs.

smiley27414
05-31-2008, 10:59 PM
i give the driver of the 29 great credit for drivin!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i think the driver is doin great!!!!!!

tstiles
06-01-2008, 08:57 AM
me too. i think she takes alot of crap.but she is a real racer for dealing with all of it the way she does. good job jessica.
i give the driver of the 29 great credit for drivin!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i think the driver is doin great!!!!!!

dbl-take
06-01-2008, 03:42 PM
me too. i think she takes alot of crap.but she is a real racer for dealing with all of it the way she does. good job jessica.
Amen to that, she is okay!

maestri fan 1
06-01-2008, 03:56 PM
This is why I stopped racing. Too much whinning and other crap. Just stop complaining and race.... Have fun.... And be safe....

RacinRob
06-01-2008, 07:18 PM
massive amounts of credit to whoever straps into a racecar...male of female no matter what gender or race. It takes guts.

voodoocadoo
06-01-2008, 07:57 PM
Atta Boy ( or Girl ) she learning and its hard with guys that have been doing this for a long time much credit is due to her persistance