PDA

View Full Version : Hanbury Motorsports June Newsletter

RGeeProductions
06-01-2008, 02:12 PM
Just like the weather Tony Hanbury and the Hanbury Motorsports team started out the month of May a little cool. Also just like the weather the longer the month went the hotter Tony became on the track and ended up the month of May with winning the last 2 NASCAR Modified races of the month he participated in.

The strong ending to the month has helped Tony out quite well in the track point standings. At the Spencer Speedway the feature win from May 30th has enabled Tony to move into fifth place in the point standings. Down at the Chemung Speedrome Tony with his feature win back on May 24th allowed him to go from seventh to first in the point standings.

With the 2 latest feature wins that gives Tony 54 career wins in 9 years of racing and he now has 23 career NASCAR Modified / SST Modified feature wins.

All that Tony needs cooperation from is the weatherman as he looks to defend his Whelen All – American Series New York State Championship and his Whelen All – American Series Chemung Speedrome NASCAR Modified Track Championship.

MAY REWIND

10th – Opening night at Chemung after a week delay due to rain. The defense of the championships started on this evening with plenty of anticipation from the camp of Team Hanbury. Tony didn’t let his faithful followers down with a dominating heat win and he redrew ninth for the 40 lap feature.

The feature was a 40 lap exercise in frustration for Tony as he realized what he was going to face week and week out at Chemung this season. Tony expected before the season that every driver was going to race him hard all season long. That is exactly what happened on this night as one particular driver Tony had a very hard time passing him during the feature. Each time Tony got to this driver something negative happened to Tony. All of this resulted in Tony having to restart at the rear on three separate occasions and he finished a very hard earned seventh with a bent up racecar to boot.

“ It was a frustrating night for sure “ said the disappointed driver afterwards. “ I think we proved by my heat race performance that I still have the fastest car here weekly and if anyone is going to take the championship away from me they’re going to be in for a real battle for it. Because I want 2 Whelen NASCAR Modified Chemung Speedrome track championships in a row. “

16th – Opening night at the Spencer Speedway saw Tony do double duty as he raced his self owned Modified ( non NASCAR sanctioned ) and the Joshua Wilson / John Resus co – owned NASCAR Modified that Tony will be racing weekly at Spencer this year.

Tony in his self owned Modified had a good evening as he finished second in his heat and finished fourth in the feature. “ The car was very good but the driver was a tad rusty on how to conserve the tires and that cost us in the end “ said Tony. “ I can’t wait for the next Modified show at Spencer. “

In the NASCAR Modified feature Tony ended up 13th. “ We need to get a couple of bugs worked out of the car “ said Tony. “ One the flip side the car handled perfectly and that is a big key to racing here at Spencer. Once we fine tune things we’ll be better. “

23rd – The second week at Spencer found improvement for Tony as he ended up ninth in the feature. “ We’re getting closer to finding that perfect setup for Spencer “ said Tony. “ I mean we’re just that close ( holding 2 fingers close together ) to being perfect here. “

24th – The second week of racing at Chemung found Tony right back to where he left off 2007, in victory lane. In a performance reminding everyone just how dominate he was last year. Tony lined up in sixth after winning his heat race and took a mere 5 laps before taking the lead and marching on to his first win of the year at Chemung.

“ Last we raced here I might have been a little antsy “ admitted the 9 year driver. “ That more than likely cost me a top 3 finish. Tonight I knew that I had to get to the front first and after I did that I put it on cruise control after that. “

30th – Sometimes race car drivers have to be a meteorologist and on this day Tony figured that more than likely Chemung was going to suffer their 3rd rainout of the year the following day. Tony wanted to get some laps on his car and try out some new ideas. So Tony took his self owned NASCAR Modified that he races at Chemung on Saturday nights to Spencer on Friday night.

With what transpired on this evening Tony better go play the lottery as he hit the jackpot on this night. After winning his heat race Tony literally had the sea part in front of him as he avoided the front row of cars spinning together in front of him on lap nine of the feature. This moved Tony from fourth to second and on the restart he took the lead and survived a late race rash of yellow flag fever to claim his first Spencer feature since June of 2006.

“ We made it through the wreck and that was the key as that enabled us to get to the front first “ said the excited driver. “ I decided at the last minute to bring my own car tonight and I’m sure glad I did as I learned some things worked that we tried on the car. Anytime you get a feature win its special. “

2008 STATS AS OF JUNE 1, 2008

NASCAR Modified Starts; 2 wins ( 5-24 Chemung, 5-30 Spencer ), a 7th, a 9th, a 13th. 5 races, 2 wins, 2 top 5’s, 4 top 10’s, 0 DNF’s.

Modified starts; 4th, 18th ( overheating DNF ). 2 races, 1 top 5, 1 top 10, 1 DNF.

JUNE RACING SCHEDULE *schedule subject to change depending on weather and makeup races

6th – Spencer Craftsman Night NASCAR Modified 35 laps.
7th – Chemung Craftsman Night NASCAR Modified Twin 25’s.
13th – Spencer Modified Twin 25’s and NASCAR Modified 35 laps.
14th – Chemung NASCAR Modified 40 laps.
20th - Spencer NASCAR Modified 75 laps.
21st – Chemung Pack the Track Night NASCAR Modified 40 laps.
27th – Spencer NASCAR Modified Twin 20’s.
28th – Chemung NASCAR Modified 75 laps.

SPONSORS

Hanbury Motorsports would like to say Thank You to their sponsors of their 2008 racing effort. Papa John’s of Johnson City and Owego, Gail Clark Race Engines, Kolba Construction, Dave Jackson, Mr. Koffee, Scott Smith and Son, Chuck Talcott Well Drilling, NAPA Auto Parts of Owego, John’s Fine Foods, Nelcorp, Chandler Race Products, Raytech Security, Family Fitness Center of Nichols, North 40, PDG Graphics, P.J.Byrne Restoration Company, Parts Plus of Owego, Fastech Race Car Bodies, Owego Sanitation, Hanbury Sanitation, Harris Diner, and Tri County Refrigeration.

CONTACT INFORMATION

Marketing and promotional sponsorship opportunities with Hanbury Motorsports are now available by contacting Tony Hanbury at tonyhanbury@lycos.com or JR Kennerup at mkennerup@hotmail.com. Media wishing to interview Tony are encouraged to contact Tony or JR at their above email addresses to set the interview up.

JR Kennerup