PDA

View Full Version : Galante pleads guilty

RGeeProductions
06-04-2008, 09:37 AM
Trash hauler to forfeit $100 million in businesses; headed to prison in deal

James Galante on Tuesday agreed to give up ownership in 25 of his trash hauling companies, worth about $100 million, and accepted a prison term of between 70 and 87 months as part of a plea deal reached with federal prosecutors.

The 55-year-old trash kingpin, who operated Automated Waste Disposal and other trash companies, pleaded guilty to three charges in U.S. District Court in New Haven.

On June 8, 2006, Galante was indicted as part of a widespread racketeering case and imprisoned. He has been living under house arrest in New Fairfield since June 30, 2006.

Prosecutors said he took part in a property rights system, which they said destroyed free enterprise, allowing those involved to artificially inflate their prices.

His sentencing on the charges - racketeering conspiracy, conspiracy to defraud the IRS and conspiracy to commit wire fraud - will take place Aug. 22.

Galante stood in the courtroom at a podium next to his lawyer, Hugh Keefe, and admitted to Judge Ellen Bree Burns that he engaged in the wrongdoing. She ordered that he stay out of the trash business, except for one company, EnviroSolutions Inc.

"Yes, your honor," Galante said politely in response.

EnviroSolutions Inc. as a waste collection, transfer and disposal business in Virginia, with subsidiaries in Virginia, Maryland, New Jersey, West Virginia and Kentucky.
When asked if he challenged any of the prosecution's statements about what he did, Galante said quietly, "No, your honor."

At his sentencing he could be forced to pay a $750,000 fine. He will also have to pay the government about $1.6 million in income taxes, according to the plea bargain.

As part of the deal, he will get $10.8 million from the government after the 25 companies are sold.

Jeffrey Meyer, a former federal prosecutor who is now a Quinnipiac University School of Law professor, said the case was "the largest forfeiture case I've ever seen."

"I don't recall a criminal forfeiture case of this size in Connecticut any time in recent years ... ," Meyer said. "That's extremely punitive."

After the hearing, Nora Dannehy, Acting United States Attorney, thanked all the organizations, including state police and the FBI, involved in the case.

"The government is satisfied with this guilty plea," Dannehy said.

In all, 33 people were indicted, including Matty "The Horse" Ianniello, who prosecutors said was a high-ranking member of the Genovese family of La Cosa Nostra. The cases of three people - Christopher Rayner, Eric Romandi and Paul Galietti - are still pending.

Prosecutors alleged Galante paid Ianniello $200,000 in 2001, then $30,000 every three months until 2005.

Galante faced 93 criminal counts, including witness tampering, mail and wire fraud. There were also allegations that he and others conspired to commit arson and kidnapping by damaging a truck owned by one of his competitors and by kidnapping the driver of that truck at gunpoint.

On Tuesday, he admitted that in 2005 he tried to fix a bid for the operation of a transfer station in the state. He also admitted he told a co-conspirator in this case to tamper with a witness scheduled to appear before a grand jury.

He also pleaded guilty to being involved in a scheme to defraud the IRS with regard to personal and corporate tax returns.

Galante, who was the owner of the Danbury Trashers, admitted to circumventing the United Hockey League's $275,000 annual salary cap by having other co-conspirators prepare and fax fraudulent salary reports to the UHL office in Iowa about 30 different times.

Besides having to forfeit ownership interests in the 25 trash companies, he must also forfeit a home at 530 Main St. North in Southbury and adjoining parcels of land, six racing cars, a Featherlite Trailer used to haul the cars and $448,153 seized from his business office and home.

Karen Ali / NewsTimes

ThE sHaDoW
06-04-2008, 11:35 AM
So...when's the auction?

RichKeator
06-04-2008, 11:02 PM
Shawn had an interresting article on what T.C. had to say about this

http://blogs.courant.com/autoracing/2008/06/fate-of-james-galante-owned-ra.html

art11758
06-08-2008, 03:11 PM
I was wondering when this would pop up here. It was a pretty involved plea deal, and I guess, good enough all things considered. I too am waiting to see when that "auction lot" shows up. Someone is going to be getting some potent stuff.

ThE sHaDoW
09-04-2008, 02:39 PM
Here's an update to this story.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5iCcVfZWp5QpdmRF2laGaGIPEnMiwD92VDFS00

curious
09-04-2008, 02:54 PM
Here's an update to this story.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5iCcVfZWp5QpdmRF2laGaGIPEnMiwD92VDFS00

I love how you take my article link, but don't reply to my email Mr. Shadow! :wave:

ThE sHaDoW
09-04-2008, 03:06 PM
I love how you take my article link, but don't reply to my email Mr. Shadow! :wave:

pay attention, I replied to your text.:confused::confused: credit for link to PITA above who doesn't come to the track anymore. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

curious
09-04-2008, 03:24 PM
pay attention, I replied to your text.:confused::confused: credit for link to PITA above who doesn't come to the track anymore. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

You do realize you call me a PITA every day right? Just because I'm not at the track anymore doesn't mean that I can't keep up with the news! Oh wait, I found that on a hockey site :angel:

Precision Auto
09-04-2008, 04:33 PM
I was wondering when this would pop up here. It was a pretty involved plea deal, and I guess, good enough all things considered. I too am waiting to see when that "auction lot" shows up. Someone is going to be getting some potent stuff.

Potent stuff: with regards to the engines, after a few years of sitting in storage, you have to wonder: were they stored properly for winter months, were they in a heated building? Then again, if the price is right, you may be getting a deal no matter what.

TnLRacing
09-04-2008, 10:13 PM
Linda I don't know about a heated garage, but I do know TC was allowed to go fog the motors, and back the valves off when the cars were seized.

Precision Auto
09-04-2008, 10:50 PM
Linda I don't know about a heated garage, but I do know TC was allowed to go fog the motors, and back the valves off when the cars were seized.

Hopefully that kept them in good condition.......sounds like the right thing was done.

Makes you wonder who will be bidding on the racing stuff............Linda

art11758
09-05-2008, 09:29 AM
Anyone with some cash!
Seriously though, you know how it can be. What was "state of the art" might be state of the ark by the time it sees freedom again. The basics will still be there, it will just take someone clever to utilise them.