PDA

View Full Version : Way to mess things up guys

RacinRob
06-08-2008, 12:13 AM
Ok im not usually the one to complain or air stuff out on here but after being basically told tough crap by an official im a little upset. When the caution came out tonite on the last lap, I was entering turn 1 running in 5th place. They yellow light on the pole was flashing yellow. Any racer will tell you that when you see that light your instructed to slow up...which I did. The Yellow checker came out at the same time as the light starte flashing yellow. My beef is that if the yellow checker is coming out at the flag stand thats behind me and I cannot see, how can i know to race to the checkers when the track was blocked by debris and a car? They said that it was a mistake that the yellow light came on. Well guess what where im from when people make mistakes they fix it. So I went from 5th or 6th the worst to 10th and lost point to people that never even passed me! Awsome job guys. Glad that all this talk about respect is going one way...and not towards the drivers. 4 people protested that finish and look where it got us.

Ka$h25
06-08-2008, 01:50 AM
Yeah, unfortunately that's the way it goes in racing. There's not much they can do about mistakes other than an "I'm sorry -- we'll get it next time." But I think it's safe to say mistakes happen and you'll be the benefactor of it sometimes, and get the shaft other times.

allhailunc
06-08-2008, 06:05 AM
well if a yellow/checkered came out thats how the race should have finished but knowing the Riverhead rule book nothing is surprising Rob-best thing is to let it go,come back next week,and do what you gotta do:wave:.complaints fall on way too many deaf ears:rolleyes:

W. J.
06-08-2008, 08:09 AM
I wasn't there, but from the way you describe it, Rob, here's the deal: If the leader of the race has taken the white flag (crossed the start/finish line) and then caution comes out, you are supposed to 'safely' maintain your spot as you continue to race back to the finish line.
I know, it sounds a little ridiculous, but I saw this happen at a WMT race in Flemington in 1992, and the NASCAR rule is to continue the lap that started. Now, since Riverhead doesn't count caution laps, something different may apply here, so I'm not sure what the ruling should have been. At least this situation has created something that needs to be thought about and addressed, and hopefully, that will happen so no future problem like this comes up.

Dennisc
06-08-2008, 09:27 AM
so let me guess rob the officals pretty much shruged you right off like no big deal. its BS same thing happend to me last year when I asked if I can run a small block in my car after I blew my motor. They wouldn't even look at me...Oh well I guess this what happens when theres only 1 racetrack on long island...:(

Wheel Racing
06-08-2008, 10:58 AM
Last night was a tough night all around with questionable decisions in almost every race.

Tracy87BB
06-08-2008, 11:14 AM
Terry, you started 19th and finished 13th, according to the finish that was posted on the board. That was a simple oversight on MY part (having nothing whatsoever to do with the track) in trying to get all of the results entered after a long and very hot day yesterday. Realistically, it was probably around 2 am when I entered the BB results. I apologize.

tstiles
06-08-2008, 11:22 AM
no prob thanx for fixing it

RacinRob
06-08-2008, 07:30 PM
This is why we need one way radios with the track frequency!! How am I supposed to know that there is a yellow checker if im in turn one and the flag man is behind me?! other track use the one way RACECEIVER lets do it too to avoid this issues!

W. J.
06-09-2008, 07:37 AM
This is why we need one way radios with the track frequency!! How am I supposed to know that there is a yellow checker if im in turn one and the flag man is behind me?! other track use the one way RACECEIVER lets do it too to avoid this issues!
Very good idea. Now you need to take your case to Jim and Mike. This is a perfect example of why they would be useful.

Tower Man
06-09-2008, 08:14 AM
W.J....WMT flag rules and Weekly Series Flag Rules differ. In the WMT all laps count, (except on special occasions like Flash races), and the field is "frozen" once the caution is diplayed. At Riverhead the scorers go back to the last completed lap, unless it occurs on the white flag lap. Then it's at the"discretion of the Official in charge".

Wheel...no matter what the sport, racing, baseball, football or hockey...officials will call it the way they see it. Call it questionable if you may. They don't see everything and they are human.

Rob...I'm with you on this radio thing now. Maybe I wouldn't have a bent up race car if I could have told my driver to go high on that last lap.

Allhail...how you been man...miss ya.

And KA$H25 you are 100% correct. Sometimes they say that you eat the bear, but sometimes the bear eats you.

Tracy87BB
06-09-2008, 09:11 AM
Tower Man, the radios Rob is talking about would not allow you to tell your driver anything. They are one-way receivers that would allow your driver to hear what is being said on the track frequency, the same thing they now require for Enduros at Mountain and which are permitted for Grand Enduro cars at Riverhead.

You make some very good points, Tower Man. The officials, be it in racing or any other sport, are only human. And humans all have different opinions. What one person may think is absolutely right, another may see as completely wrong. So, yes, there will be calls made that one person will see as questionable by THEIR standards and their opinions. And that's something we are all entitled to. Very rarely will you see a call made that benefits EVERYONE in question - in my experience, most calls that are made are going to make one person happy and another unhappy. And I'm sure if you've been around racing long enough, you've had calls made that have been good for you and also calls that haven't. And some of those calls you really have no control over - it isn't something that you intentionally did or didn't do. This is one of those cases.

Nothing in life is perfect, and the best we can do is face each day as an opportunity to do things better. Time to move on to next week and put in the best possible effort to do better, I think. JMO.

Wheel Racing
06-09-2008, 07:04 PM
Wheel...no matter what the sport, racing, baseball, football or hockey...officials will call it the way they see it. Call it questionable if you may. They don't see everything and they are human.

I agree with you, but I also was disapointed with a few calls,strictly as a fan. I understand that there is no exact science to "opinion" I don't claim to have the answers either.I was just frustrated by calls in other divisions as well. I do however like that Mike and Jim seem to alternate on the infield to try to see more of the track.The job is not nearly as easy as some think/thought.Like Tracy said,someone will always feel like they are on the short end of the stick.

W. J.
06-09-2008, 08:00 PM
W.J....WMT flag rules and Weekly Series Flag Rules differ. In the WMT all laps count, (except on special occasions like Flash races), and the field is "frozen" once the caution is diplayed. At Riverhead the scorers go back to the last completed lap, unless it occurs on the white flag lap. Then it's at the"discretion of the Official in charge".
I understand that, that was the point I was trying to make. I know it's at the discretion of the officials, and since the white flag had been given to the leaders, that's the decision they made. I only cited the WMT race because that's the only other case like this that I've seen. I also understand how upset the drivers are in this case because there is no radio communication in BB's.