PDA

View Full Version : Thompson 6/19

Goldy
06-11-2008, 12:11 PM
Sorry if this has already been talked about - but I haven't been paying attention - I'm I the only one balking at this 75 lap show for $40 at the front gate?

I'm pretty sure I've paid $35 in the past for a 150 lapper.. and I understand the 75 laps is green flag racing - but this doens't feel right to me..

I imagine the purse is smaller? is this the "Flash" thing again, re-packaged?

Help me out here - thoughts?

Thanks,
Goldy

WMT10
06-11-2008, 01:50 PM
The purse is smaller
If we have to race for less they should charge less to get in

MOD11RACER
06-11-2008, 03:04 PM
I agree 100% with WMT10. I am all for cutting the race from 150 laps to 75 laps green flag laps. I am totally against cutting the purse. The owners and drivers on the WMT deserve more respect than that. I never see NASCAR cutting the purse for the CWES and those races are total garbage JMO.

Thompson should reduce the admission from $40.00 to $30.00, but with most Modified race fans 16 races for real Modifieds is never enough and with all of the traveling they do we can not make all of the races and track owners know that. With that being said the fan of real Modifieds is willing to pay almost anything they charge us to watch the most exciting division that NASCAR has to offer.

CTC Photos
06-11-2008, 07:37 PM
Look at it this way Chris. When it sprinkles at lap 40 and they call the race complete (only to have the track naturally dry an hour or so later) you'll have paid $1 a lap.
Ticket prices for the $10,000 to win Lucas Oil Dirt Late Model 50 lap feature at the Talladega Short Track is $25 stands and $35 for the pits. Keep an eye on the SPEED TV schedule later this summer for this race on tape delay.

Jaws
06-11-2008, 07:52 PM
Sorry if this has already been talked about - but I haven't been paying attention - I'm I the only one balking at this 75 lap show for $40 at the front gate?

I'm pretty sure I've paid $35 in the past for a 150 lapper.. and I understand the 75 laps is green flag racing - but this doens't feel right to me..

I imagine the purse is smaller? is this the "Flash" thing again, re-packaged?

Help me out here - thoughts?

Thanks,
Goldy

Probly because they can and they will get a decent crowd that make them lots of money.

I don't mind the $40 to get in, its the $100.00 of gas to get there from LI that really bugs me.

Sicklajoie
06-11-2008, 10:33 PM
Think of the poor saps that race the regular Thompson divisions.
It's a regular point show for them.
They're running no heats, just features.
$50 to get in the pits.
And they offer no season pass.
Highway robbery if you ask me.

Goldy
06-13-2008, 04:05 PM
Well then – after reading Shawn’s article and blog – I’d just better shut up and pay up my $40 that Thompson wants - so they keep the Tour shows there..

I’ll just say this – these days, Promotion should be a joint effort – consisting of track, sponsors AND sanctioning body.. So maybe it’s been $40 for a couple years now and I’m just numb to it – but for the record – it really wasn’t the $40 it would have cost me to enter the front gate that made me scratch my head (even though I feel its too much), it was the thought of bringing my family (which I’d really like to do) that quickly turned Thursday night into something I can’t afford.

I remember the option of visiting my local Dodge Dealer for a test drive and a coupon, or filling up at my Sunoco gas station for the same – Charter is on board?, how bout $5 off for Charter customers? - you want to charge me top dollar in this economy, then you better make it feel like you care about what the fan is paying.. Waterford did something with Big Y a couple years back… come on – I’m not asking for a free pass here…

It’s all about perception, and my perception is they (the Promotion collective - or lack thereof) aren’t doing enough to make fans want to go or tolerate the cost – threatening to dump the tour as a scare tactic probably won’t work and changing the program for their benefit and packaging it as something the fans wanted, I don’t buy - and Don’s contemplating pulling the tour all together? I wonder how long Thompson would actually survive without the tour shows? Will their weekly program really pay for that lighting upgrade?

If the thought here is - I charge the fans top dollar, run less laps and pay the competitors less – more will turnout? Sorry Don, I don’t think that’s really going to work…

You want to try something new, something with a “throwback to the old days” feel – how about reducing the admission to see if more fans show up?

End of rant…

:cheers:

WMT10
06-13-2008, 05:51 PM
From what Hoenig said. "It doesn't draw people." (meaning the tour)
How long can some of these teams last if we keep running these reduced purse races? (Thompson,Spencer,and Riverhead)

SteveS
06-13-2008, 06:42 PM
From what Hoenig said. "It doesn't draw people." (meaning the tour)
How long can some of these teams last if we keep running these reduced purse races? (Thompson,Spencer,and Riverhead)

It's that old business comedy routine - Yeah I'm losing some money (racing) but I'll make it up with volume. In other words let's travel further, more often, to demographics less interested in modifieds. Nascar raises the price of member licenses, fuel has doubled, front gate admission is as high or higher and now we are going to reduce the purse too. THANK YOU SIR, MAY I HAVE ANOTHER. Maybe someday, someone will have the nads to organize all the fans to show up and protest at the gate for something like this or maybe the team owners just show up but refuse to enter the gate........oh that would require unity and courage, aw hell just pay up and be thankful they haven't thought to add a fuel surcharge- yet.