PDA

View Full Version : Not Modifieds-- But a Very Sad Loss

KyleMac45
06-21-2008, 07:22 PM
Scott Kalitta passed away today at Old Bridge Speedway... the official press release below

ESPN2 Has coverage on now... they showed the crash... very scary... RIP

http://www.nhra.com/content/news/30033.htm

RIP Scott Kalitta

randomrodder
06-21-2008, 08:05 PM
Link isn't working for me, anyone else?

KyleMac45
06-21-2008, 08:45 PM
Here is a new link and bigger Press Release:

http://www.nhra.com/content/news/30033.htm

If this does not work just go to www.nhra.com and scroll down you will see the press release

randomrodder
06-22-2008, 12:58 AM
Thank you Kyle. I got more then enough news through watching ESPNews. They even showed the video which I thought they weren't going to show.
Another sad day indeed.

RIP Scott.

Steve O
06-25-2008, 10:21 PM
I was there and I was standing right at the finish line when Scott's accident happened. I was taking pictures, and while I don't ever want to see something like that happen again, I think I was fortunate enough to take photos that might help teams make the cars safer in the future.

All of my photos are here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sdowen/sets/72157605784026379/

-Steve

chrome horn
06-25-2008, 11:14 PM
Steve, those are some moving photos. I also think the statement you wrote with them shows class and sincerity.

Jaws
06-25-2008, 11:47 PM
Those are unbelievable pictures.

I hope they help lead to some changes that make the cars and tracks safer.

We were there on Sunday and it was a very somber day.

Precision Auto
06-26-2008, 08:34 AM
I was there and I was standing right at the finish line when Scott's accident happened. I was taking pictures, and while I don't ever want to see something like that happen again, I think I was fortunate enough to take photos that might help teams make the cars safer in the future.

All of my photos are here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sdowen/sets/72157605784026379/

-Steve

Steve: Norm and I watched the replay of the accident on NHRA on Sunday, of course, it was in real time. These pictures are so telling of what each and every Funny Car driver faces each and every run down the quarter mile.

After Eric Medlin, a John Force team member and son of longtime John Force crew chief John Medlin, was killed during a test session when the car went into a violent tire shake, John wasted no time in enlisting help, albiet money or time, from his sponsors to take a look at what could be done to lessen the chance of Eric's type of accident again.

Race after race, there was always a Funny Car driver who experienced a similar problem, who walked away and went straight for John Force to thank him and his "team" for not backing down and doing what they felt was a necessary step to make the cars safer.

As Norm and his partner Dale Hall raced on the NHRA circuit in a Top Alcohol Dragster, I marveled at the encapsulated Funny Cars. "Encapsulated" being the operative word: In the event of a blower explosion, there is no place for you or the fire to go. As time went on, I found myself holding my breath each time there was any type of fire in a Funny Car.

For those who watchd the broadcast on ESPN2, Sunday June 22nd, you learned that there is one major adjustment that is being made to the Funny Cars. Should the driver be knocked out during the incident and is unable to hit the parachute release, it is automatically done for them.

I'm not saying that this would have had any impact on what happened to Scott, but, in the future if it saves one life, it will have been a wise change to the Funny Cars.

I go back to your decision as to whether or not to post the photos. I, too, believe that you made the right decision for all the right reasons:

1. We hope against hope that NHRA will gain information from pictures and
video taken to implement new safety measures.

2. We have made our contribution to Scott's favorite charities.

There are those who will say that Scott knew the dangers each time he strapped into his car, as all racers do. But it doesn't lessen the sadness we experience of losing another member of our "racing family"

Thank you Steve..........for your photos and your sensitivity.
Linda and Norman Case, Precision Automotive, Inc.

Chris
06-26-2008, 09:04 PM
Sunday I picked up the New York Daily News. It had a full page photo of the car engulfed in flames with the head line "Death at 300 miles per hour". the story inside was less then half a page basically a copy of the NHRA statement. those of you who reed this paper know they usually don't cover motor sports. I was so enraged with the tabloid journalism I fired off a letter to the editor. Steve I have to commplement you on taking the time to think about posting the photos. Comming from you a member of the "racing family" and the thoughts and concern for the family and drivers I see the photos in a diffrent lite.
Thanks again, Chris