PDA

View Full Version : Stafford Speedway handicapping system.

Sicklajoie
06-28-2008, 06:26 AM
For years, Stafford's handicapping has been based on a 3 week money won system.
Woody Pitkat was dq'ed a 2 weeks ago for low frame height.
In the past, a dq was scored as a win and a half for your handicap. Being dq'ed should be penalty on your handicap.
For some strange reason, Woody started 4th.
Why?
Seems now that if you get dq'ed, instead of getting a win and a half (like you weren't even there), you get last place money instead, which works to your advantage.
So now, if you get dq'ed, you get rewarded on your handicap.
If that's the way it works, then someone could get dq'ed 3 weeks in a row, and on the next week, could start the feature from the pole... Woo Hoo!
Woody pretty much got a gimmee last night, which wasn't right.
I think Stafford should look at this and go back to the old way.

jonker
06-29-2008, 12:27 AM
Sicklajoie is right. He is one of the few who totally understand the handicap system. Why reward someone who has an infraction?

MandyB
06-29-2008, 04:44 PM
Being dq'ed should be penalty on your handicap.

I agree. If you get disqualified in Tech, you pay the price. Reading what you've written, I too believe that one should be penalized in the next week's heat/feature/whatever as well as after Tech.

Rewarding someone for not following the rules is like me telling my two dogs "you ran away again; but here's a cookie/treat for not getting hurt out there". If they're bad, they don't get a reward. It's as simple as that. They want to run away when they're let out of the house? They don't get anything when they get home.

Precision Auto
06-29-2008, 05:47 PM
Straight from The Stafford Motor Speedway 2008 Rulebook:

Section 9.5: Handicapping:

"Any driver disqualified from a feature event will be credited with a regular feature win plus 1/2-feature win in money for handicapping purposes. The top 18 drivers in points will be handicapped ahead of drivers not in the top 18 for the main feature only." :help: :help: :help:

If someone can explain the second sentence to me - in the English language I will donate $25.00 to www.autismspeaks.org, as there is no way I understand this sentence.

Thank you. Linda Case

RGeeProductions
06-29-2008, 05:58 PM
Seems handicapping is by money won.
If you didn't race the first few weeks but have since , your money won may put you qualified for, say, a 10th starting position. BUT, since you missed a few races at the beginning of the season, you are not in the Top 18 in points so it gives preference to those [I]who have been to the most races for the year.
Kind of a bonus for those racing there EVERY week.
How's that Linda!!!

Precision Auto
06-29-2008, 07:42 PM
Richie: I understand, at least I think I do, you reasoning. But Woody was D/Q'd, and according to the rules in the 2008 Rulebook, he should have been penalized as stated, in which case, he would not have started last week's feature where he did.

After spending the better part of 25 years with Norm going through tech, not just Stafford, but other tracks as well, it's amazing how a "rule" can be read many different ways...........that says it all for me...........Linda

RGeeProductions
06-30-2008, 10:15 AM
The Woody thing I can't answer, I just tried to answer what you asked above......:wave:

Sicklajoie
07-07-2008, 06:54 PM
for some information on what I can give you... I can tell you that Woody WAS NOT DQed but was put to THE FINAL CAR IN THE RUNNING ORDER of the race in question.. There IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN being DQed and credited with last place...

If anyone is still unclear on the issue, Im sure the offices at SMS would more then gladly answer them for you... you can contact by phone, email, or MYspace
Well, according to >>>this<<< (http://staffordmotorspeedway.com/Pages/News/pr061608.htm), he was disqualified. The word "disqualified" is used twice in the article. Seems like there's a difference in definition of being disqualified. To me, it means it should be treated as if you weren't even there. No points, no nothing.
Regardless, as Linda pointed out, this is what it says in the Stafford RULE BOOK.
Any driver disqualified from a feature event will be credited with a regular feature win plus 1/2-feature win in money for handicapping purposes. The top 18 drivers in points will be handicapped ahead of drivers not in the top 18 for the main feature only.

And that wasn't done.

W. J.
07-07-2008, 08:10 PM
The article you linked indeed said he was disqualified twice. It also added he was disqualified from 2nd place and put to the rear of the field. That is a big difference from: DQed, no money, no points. I hope this helps you all understand the difference.

Sicklajoie
07-07-2008, 08:43 PM
The article you linked indeed said he was disqualified twice. It also added he was disqualified from 2nd place and put to the rear of the field. That is a big difference from: DQed, no money, no points. I hope this helps you all understand the difference.
Nope, cause they still didn't follow the procedure outlined in their rule book.

W. J.
07-07-2008, 09:05 PM
Let's try explaining it this way. He was not DQed from the event, according to their story, just his finishing position, and he was placed at the rear of the finishing order (less money, less points), which is different than being DQed totally (no money, no points).

Sicklajoie
07-07-2008, 11:15 PM
Let's try explaining it this way. He was not DQed from the event, according to their story, just his finishing position, and he was placed at the rear of the finishing order (less money, less points), which is different than being DQed totally (no money, no points).
Still don't buy it.
So he was partially disqualified instead of totally disqualified??
Why do I feel like I'm in the middle of a Seinfeld episode?? :)

W. J.
07-08-2008, 08:16 AM
I'm not defending it, only trying to offer an explanation. Maybe they shoulld have worded it differently, something like 'penalized and placed at the rear', instead of saying he was disqualified. You'd have to ask them.