PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on mod race at NHMS?

Axel
06-29-2008, 08:07 AM
I was not there and only got to read the race transcript last night. Sounded like the classic races of old! Loads of passing, few cautions, high drama. Just what the mods needed after lots of discussion of yellow fever. Also nice to see the mods get the full race in.

Wished I was there. Anyone there wanna share their thoughts? I’d love to see this race – I only hope that SPEED changes their mind.

Rabbit504
06-29-2008, 08:19 AM
Yes, Great showing for the Modifieds.
Alot of give and take, not much blocking.
The scramble at the end was classic modified racing.
Good crowd, a little chilly but not too bad.
Won tickets from Carey and Coffey, but ticket prices were fair for what you got.

Can't beat that BIG Hutter Power!!

Matt Carey went above and beyond for me when I didn't get the tickets in the mail I won.
I want to Thank him very much for that!!

Teds Race Tours
06-29-2008, 10:23 AM
MY thought, is, that I really hope Bruton was watching this race.

hollywoodmic
06-30-2008, 09:59 AM
I thought it was a classic, a fantastic race. Great run for Eric Beers it was great to see him battling for the lead for a while. The Mystic Missle is the Mystic Missle, they did a great job. I almost felt bad for TC he cleanly fended off everyone and battled to the end. TC ran a great race, you just have to wonder if the tires made that little difference. I did have one problem with the end of the race. I have a lot of respect for Ed Flemke Jr. but he could've hurt someone and could've destroyed a ton of cars. Todd gave him room all day, and in my opinion Eddie should've gone for one car, instead he went for 2 and body slammed Todd out of a great finish. Again only my opinion, just think he drove in over his head on that final corner. How Szegedy didn't wreck I don't know?? It was great to see that 7ny up front battling at the end. As TBax said, I wasthere for all the pre -Cup racing and the only time the fans stood up was during this race, I don't recall them sitting much. I too hope Bruton was watching.

P.S Hi Howie.

Rabbit504
06-30-2008, 11:13 AM
I listen to Szegedy on my scanner.
Now I wasn't in either of those racecars but Segedy was complaining of a skip in the motor.
His spotter told him on the last lap "clear the 2 lapped cars and BLOCK".
Again, I wasn't in the cars, but I can't help but think Szegedy was doing what his spotter told him to and paid the price.
Flemke was fast all day, he deserved a good finish.

ThE sHaDoW
06-30-2008, 11:31 AM
I listen to Szegedy on my scanner.
Now I wasn't in either of those racecars but Segedy was complaining of a skip in the motor.
His spotter told him on the last lap "clear the 2 lapped cars and BLOCK".
Again, I wasn't in the cars, but I can't help but think Szegedy was doing what his spotter told him to and paid the price.
Flemke was fast all day, he deserved a good finish.

interesting twist to the story.

hollywoodmic
06-30-2008, 11:39 AM
I was standing on the top of a hauler in 3 and 4 Szegedy was up high the 10 came from the bottom and into the side of him. At least that's how I witnessed it.

Rabbit504
06-30-2008, 03:42 PM
From where I was sitting I couldn't see the contact.
I was way down almost in turn 1 in front of James Civali's pit.
I'm only going by what was said on the scanner.
What I did see was the 28 pit crew change right side tires, fuel the car and rejack to pull a left rear spring rubber and get James out of the pit first.

Great job by the 28 crew.

hollywoodmic
06-30-2008, 03:51 PM
Nobody else witnessed this?? I'd love to hear someone elses take on it. If and when they broadcast the race you'll see it, it was pretty bad in my opinion. The shame of it was Eddie ran a great race all day, he was definatley in the mix for a top 5. I just thought that particular move was not needed at that time. I know it's the last lap but we could've had some torn up racecars, or worse someone could've been hurt.

Axel
06-30-2008, 04:06 PM
I only "Witnessed"' it by reading the CHrome Horn live race update:

2:07 final lap with lapped traffic
2:07 they clear the lapped traffic
2:07 10 dives under the 46 and 2 and runs the 2 high
2:08 4 dives under the 36 in turn 4
2:08 and the 4 has won

CareyandCoffey
06-30-2008, 04:19 PM
I thought it was a GREAT Race.

Coffey and I and our lovely ladies were sitting high up in the grand stand between the start-finish line and Turn 1. We can't stand watching the Mod race from the infield, to much excitement can be missed.

I was going back and forth between several teams radios on my scanner, but I DID hear what Rabbit heard; Don Barker Todd Szegedy's crew chief and spotter did tell him to clear the lap cars at the end and then "Block" and protect his position. Szegedy did just that. I didn't SEE the wreck, I was watching TC and Hossfeld cross the line, but I looked back and saw Szegedy in the wall.

People in the stands around me were saying "Flemke wrecked Szegedy, what the hell"....that is how I knew what happened.

Congrats to Chuck and the 4-team, great job!

Also, thanks for the kind words Rabbit. I appreciate it.

Matt Carey

CareyandCoffey
06-30-2008, 04:21 PM
when they broadcast the race you'll see it, it was pretty bad in my opinion.

I'm sorry to say, the race will NOT make it on TV. We were discussing it in the media center on Sunday. I'm not a reporter and I don't understand all the details, but I was told that the race will not be televised on Speed TV.

MC

hollywoodmic
06-30-2008, 05:40 PM
How sad is that. It was by far the best race of the weekend. Is there a # of lead changes they had at the start finish line and a number of the lead changes all over the racetrack?? It's a shame I can watch PASS TIME and the 5 week old pit crew challenge, but I can only have "my memory" of the best race all weekend.

MOD11RACER
07-01-2008, 10:54 AM
What a GREAT WMT race.

Lets hope NHMS adds another Modified race to go with the 2 they already have. The Modifieds could use another race on the big stage to go along with another big payday. The best show on earth are the MODIFIEDS.