PDA

View Full Version : Get your heads out of your A$$

DriveitinDeep
06-29-2008, 10:53 AM
Good Morning Gentlemen,

it's time to start racing like the professional Late Model drivers you are, not the guys that took to the track last night. This is too good a division to be acting like were in a demo derby.
How about a little give and take instead of trying to bulldose to the front in one lap? Show some patience and respect so you don't end up having to repair and spend a lot of dollars you don't have on your car?
Keep your cars on the track and not under the white line.

Have a nice day. I am now going to pull my wreck out of the trailer.

j-rod
06-29-2008, 11:03 AM
I have to agree with rog 100%. I'll point out that it's a certain 3 gentleman(not to name names, but us guys who constantly are wrecked by them know) are the cause 95% of the time, and there is never any penalty for them. This is one of the reasons the 08 is resting in the garage.

Jeff T
06-29-2008, 11:15 AM
Well said. It amazes me that the Late Model division can put on some great shows as they did earlier this year with 15 or 16 cars, but drive like a bunch of in experienced non drivers when we have a smaller field. What is also frustrating is the FACT that it is the same cars are causing the same problems every week. How many weeks in a row does someone have to be put to the rear of the field for rough riding in order to figure out that you are being over aggressive? How about when you are the first driver causing a wreck every week? Shouldn't that tell you that you are driving over your head?
Guy's, it's time to wise up a bit. Rumor has it that two teams are not returning for the rest of the season because of all of this B.S., and we lost two teams from last year because of the same thing. The Late Model division was putting on the best races of the show for the first 5 weeks,and the last few have been questionable, at best. I think it's time to wise up and go back to how we were racing at the beginning of this season.

RPMcGrellis414
07-01-2008, 09:02 PM
I was glad to see that a driver, (who im not going to name), was sent to the back of the feild for his "rough" driving hes been doing it for the past 2-3 weeks it was good to see the officials taking notice of it. But the whole race in general was a bit ridiculous, people need to try to pass on the outside instead of just pounding the other driver out of the way

smiley27414
07-01-2008, 11:36 PM
Last year the latemodels lost greg and mike and its a shame.this week i saw the 98 take out a few cars and nothing was done to him.WHY?the 23 also takes out the 61 and nothing is done to him.quess it depends on who you are. roger that was a shame what happened to you. you are a great driver keep ur head up.

catfish
07-02-2008, 09:35 AM
Why would they start doing something now the 23 has been taking out cars for 15 years and they haven't done a dam thing to him other than on a rare occasion, and the 98 well I think everyone has seen him spin all on his own in front of a pack of cars, miss a shift repeatedly and or generally drive like he was blindfolded for weeks at a time and all he is is a hero in RR's eye's for all the sponsoring he used to do.

jeffrey
07-02-2008, 05:25 PM
Why would they start doing something now the 23 has been taking out cars for 15 years and they haven't done a dam thing to him other than on a rare occasion, and the 98 well I think everyone has seen him spin all on his own in front of a pack of cars, miss a shift repeatedly and or generally drive like he was blindfolded for weeks at a time and all he is is a hero in RR's eye's for all the sponsoring he used to do.

you are 100% right.why would they start doing it now.:applause:

daracer10
07-02-2008, 07:23 PM
The 98 took no one out this week...when a car is on the outside and consistently comes down when a car is to the inside the outcome isn't too hard to figure out. When lap after lap you chop the nose of another car, sooner or later you will be going for a spin. This isn't a one lane track, when you get shuffled to the outside run the outside, don't come down on the car. This happens in every division, spotters are for a reason.. Use them!!!

Ace
07-02-2008, 07:46 PM
Couldn't have said it any better myself daracer10. :applause:

catfish, The past year and a half I haven't seen the things you say about the 98. Not since Chris Turbush has been setting the car up. When was the last time you were at RR?

As far as the 23, he HAS been black flagged/set down for the night for rough riding atleast 2 times this year, if you guys were at the track you'd know this.

catfish
07-02-2008, 07:50 PM
Ace you very well may be correct, I guess I should delete my post but I won't as I have a long memory.

jeffrey
07-02-2008, 08:56 PM
ok if the 23 was blacked flag and set down for rough riding at least 2 times this year how could he be in 3 place in pionts 42 out of first.if he was set down for the night dont you lose your pionts for that night.even if he was set down once this year I still cant see him 42 pionts out of first.even with his win.so i dont think he was ever set down for the night.I read he was fined one night for rough riding.mabe long island jam can fined out if the 23 was ever set down.

Ace
07-02-2008, 09:10 PM
Jeff

1.I know he was sent down to the last car on the lead lap which may have been 9th on one night after getting into the 98.

2. When you spin someone and the caution comes out, if you were the cause of the wreck you get put back to the rear of the field and continue to race. This happened on another night to the 23.

He also won a double point show.

How many times have you ever been to RR?

With only 12 cars in the last feature there shouldn't be many yellows. When a guy gets under you run the outside line!

The chargers last week with 12 cars in the feature I believe ran green to checker.

jeffrey
07-02-2008, 09:41 PM
yes i know he was sent down to the last car last weak .but you said set down for at least 2 times this year.set down and sent back are two diffrent things.when you get sent back to the last car.yes you do still get pionts.but when you get set down for the night you lose your pionts.for thats how it was when we ran are car.mabe it changed i dont know.and yes i do go to riverhead evrey saturday.

Ka$h25
07-02-2008, 11:02 PM
Well first of all, you don't see drivers set DOWN for rough riding very often, regardless of who they are.

Secondly, there is way too much whining from non-drivers going on. I think the moderators need to step up and eliminate the fans bashing the drivers. If you have something to say about a certain driver's style, you know you're welcome to visit them in the pit area. Don't speak from the safety of your computer chair about drivers who more then likely don't even visit the site.

Golf Guy
07-03-2008, 07:22 AM
Well first of all, you don't see drivers set DOWN for rough riding very often, regardless of who they are.

Secondly, there is way too much whining from non-drivers going on. I think the moderators need to step up and eliminate the fans bashing the drivers. If you have something to say about a certain driver's style, you know you're welcome to visit them in the pit area. Don't speak from the safety of your computer chair about drivers who more then likely don't even visit the site.

Ka$h I agree with you it is easier for many people to write from their computer negative stuff instead of talking in person (this is why I do not like computers). But regardless if we agree with it or not, this is an open forum to discuss feelings about the racing at Riverhead. Everyone can either choose to write back or ignore the posts'.

Tower Man
07-03-2008, 08:20 AM
Bashing of anyone should not be tolerated. Yes this is an open forum. People should take ownership of what they say. And Ka$h25 is right, most of the bashing is by non-drivers.

Many times it's to stir up the nonsense. It's okay to say "I feel this..." or "I think that..." or "I saw this..."

But to bash....no need. Everyone works hard to do their best. I don't feel any team comes to the track to crash or create havoc.

LongIslandJam
07-03-2008, 11:36 AM
First, this is a forum for the fans, drivers, teams, and others in the racing community.

Secondly, people should feel free to express their thoughts and opinions, as long as they do so in a constructive manner.

Thirdly, one of our objectives here is to set facts straight. And from what I see, we have a bit of that.

And from there, we all come up with a better understanding of the situation and each other. That's the fundamental basis of a discussion. I believe it was you (Towerman) that always had the saying let's agree to disagree, but at least we know where each other is coming from.

I see this thread conforming to the aforementioned.

Feel free to email or PM me if you feel differently.

Thanks,

allhailunc
07-04-2008, 05:17 AM
maybe you guys better face the fact that between the Late Models and the Chargers you might be able to fill a fill field. think long and hard about combining the two. way too many good drivers/teams have called it a day due to both the drivers out there that are like ping pong balls and the, as usual, track politics(Christmas list). as for two aforementioned cars-we used to work with Mighty Mike and we had our own fair share of run ins with the23. as for the 98 i think the only thing he hasn't hit on that track, in all the years i saw him drive,was the beer stand in turn 3. like i said,and remind you this is "JMO" think about combining the divisions. maybe they can learn from each other

WEEZER
07-04-2008, 10:06 AM
In bob finans eye on riverhead he hinted strongly about the low car counts in lm and ch divisions and something that it won't be tolerated???

LongIslandJam
07-04-2008, 10:22 AM
Any division where there's a 12-car field, that's not a feature, that's a heat race.

Healthy car counts always helps ensure a division's future.

Ultimately it's upon driver's interest in a division to ensure the division's health. Don't point fingers at certain cars. Three to five years ago we had full fields in the late models (with many of those getting the blame, still there back then).

It's a difficult market out there. But raising car counts can be done, it just takes time and a lot of hard work.

Let's focus on viable solutions to improve the division rather than blaming people.

Tower Man
07-04-2008, 10:32 AM
Yes, I have always said, "Let's agree to disagree", it's a term used to show respect to the other person's belief or feeling. But remember these thoughts or feelings should be based on fact not hearsay.

Six or more years ago there were full fields in most divisions. Many factors have caused a "watering down" affect. For one there are way too many divisions. Starting new divisions, in my opinion, does not attract new drivers or teams, it just causes drivers and teams from other divisions to move up or down or across for that matter.

Combining the Late Models and the Chargers is not the answer. They are not even close. A Riverhead Late Model is closer to a modified and when the rules were written, way back when, it was to make them Riverhead legal only.

I feel the Raceway PR people need to send out a questionarie to ALL teams not competing that used to compete and ask, where are you and why. Have the responses go directly to Barbara and Jim. This way there is no cover up and no protecting of officials, past or present.

Golf Guy
07-04-2008, 10:43 AM
Car counts are down everywhere, not just Riverhead. Did anyone notice how many cup car are entered this weekend-45!! They almost do not need qualifying.

More economy related than anything...

jeffrey
07-04-2008, 08:24 PM
thats not true waterford speedbowl has 23 to 24 late models evrey week.and about the same in the sk mods.why is that track doing better then RR.when the track was almost closed 3 years ago.now i know the cars are alittle cheaper.why does riverhead have to have a class that the guys are almost spending as much as your mods.mabe they should run the crate motor.or a true value motor which is an sk motor with a bigger carb and steel heads.there or alot of things you can do to make the class grow.but your going to have to want to change some things.if not i dont see the class around much longer.and i now alot of you guys will say you cant do that or that.so keep evreything the same.there are tracks out there growing in car counts.orange county speedway gets 28 big block mods.23 to 26 late models.because these tracks have rules that keep the cost down for there drivers.it like i say all the time it all comes down to money.and no one runs for free or you would have 23 to 24 late models.

LongIslandJam
07-04-2008, 10:20 PM
Jeffrey,

Car counts are either flat or down across the nation. I'm virtually at a different race track (sometimes more than one) every week. There are a few that are doing well, but a select few.

Jeffrey, what races at Waterford have you been going to? Waterford Late Models had 14 last week, 14 the week before, and 12 in the race before that.
Their SKs have had full fields. They might be the one shining division in the Northeast. But comparing an SK to a Late Model is comparing apples to oranges.

Orange County is doing very well car count wise, as is virtually every dirt track in upstate NY. Dirt is doing very well, and expect that trend to continue.

I do not feel that the initial cost of the vehicle is hindering anyone buying one. There's plenty sitting now because of the weekly costs. Lessen the weekly costs and you'll suddenly see more cars - and that goes for every racetrack in the country. Maybe I'm wrong, but Tower Man's idea of a survey may be a good way to test my theory. Surveys can be slanted, though, and it would have to be written well to capture the true environment out there.

jeffrey
07-04-2008, 11:07 PM
sorry i looked at the wrong class on there web sight.you are right only 14.and tower man"s idea is a very good one.they should do that.and i have gone to the bowl 2 times this year going again another 2 to 3 times this year.for the true value and for the super mods.they run the late models last so i dont stay to watch.because you all now how i feel about late models.so sorry long island jam for the mess up.

WEEZER
07-06-2008, 09:01 AM
Hey J.A., why is dirt doing so well, are the cars that much less expensive or is it the cost of operating a dirt track cheaper then asphalt?

Ka$h25
07-07-2008, 02:12 AM
I don't have much input, but I would think a dirt track might need even more maintenance then an asphalt track.

j-rod
07-07-2008, 06:40 AM
two thing i do know about dirt is that 1. the cost is much lower do due to less strict rules, for example a dirt lm motor i believe can be bought for 25-30 thousand and make 800 h.p.-and a asphalt mod motor is around 50 thousand and make at best 600. this is just because of rules. 2. for some reason dirt has a much higher payout than asphalt.

W. J.
07-07-2008, 08:29 AM
2. for some reason dirt has a much higher payout than asphalt.That's because the track doesn't contribute to the point funds. Instead, the track runs a 50/50 raffle weekly for the fans, with their 'half' going into the point fund.

Golf Guy
07-07-2008, 05:06 PM
I am really tired of the combine charges and Late Models talk. I could be wrong but I have yet to see one Charger or LM driver/owner write or talk about this. And there are plenty of racecars sitting in garages.
I have a suggestion. How about anyone who has a Charger or LM get it out and race it. I know costs are high and things are tough right now. But Riverhead Racetrack has been there for us to play/race for all these years, and now needs our cars to help support them. One, two, or more race's will help make for better racing and hopefuly bigger crowds.
One day if the track is not there from lack of support, I know all the critics are going to come out of the wood works and say "it's not there anymore because -fill in the reason-." Forget that.
If you have a racecar and you are letting it sit because you can't afford, don't like politics, are stubborn, or some other reason- you may one day soon be able to let it sit for good and have some drinks around it and talk about the good ole' days.
I love racing and Riverhead Raceway, so this is all just my opinion- feel free to agree or disagree, but get out and support it!!!

DriveitinDeep
07-07-2008, 05:15 PM
here here, Golf Guy for President!

jeffrey
07-07-2008, 05:28 PM
the dirt tracks do put money into there piont funds.if the dirt track is dirt sanctioned they have to put money into the pionts.or they wouldnt get a dirt sanctioned race at there track.its runned almost like the way nascar is.yes they do use some of the 50/50 money.but i think some nascar sanctioned tracks do the samething.why dosent riverhead have a 50/50.they could use some of that money for the tour show thats comming up.and alucky fan could win some money also.2 dirt tracks pay more money to win.and they have bigger shows that pay more then 10.000 to win.more tracks to race at.more tracks to race at means more money to win.ill end with this.its like i say all the time its all about the money.and there is more money to be won in dirt right now then in asphalt.

maestri fan 1
07-07-2008, 05:44 PM
I was at Thunderroad Speedbowl last Thursday and there car counts were great. I beleive 28 ACT Late Models started the main, and the rest of the classes had somewhere in the 20's as well. Oh and not to get off topic but $9.50 for an adult, $3.50 FOR Child and 20.00 for family of 4.

Car counts are down everywhere, not just Riverhead. Did anyone notice how many cup car are entered this weekend-45!! They almost do not need qualifying.

More economy related than anything...

RGeeProductions
07-07-2008, 05:48 PM
I was at Thunderroad Speedbowl last Thursday and there car counts were great. I beleive 28 ACT Late Models started the main, and the rest of the classes had somewhere in the 20's as well. Oh and not to get off topic but $9.50 for an adult, $3.50 FOR Child and 20.00 for family of 4.

23 - ACT Late Models
26 - Tiger Sportsman
30 - Street Stocks
20 - Junkyard Warriors
not bad at all....

LongIslandJam
07-07-2008, 07:44 PM
There's a couple of reasons dirt is doing well.

1) IMCA and DIRTcar are two really strong sanctioning bodies that have unified the rules in their areas. They defied convention track wisdom by promoting a set standard of rules across the tracks in the areas they cover. This didn't deplete cars, instead it increased them.

2) Top Cup drivers have dirt experience and are giving back to their dirt heritage, especially Carl Edwards, Clint Bowyer, and Tony Stewart. How many Cup drivers are giving back to their asphalt heritage?

Some notes:
* Costs can be lower (if you run in IMCA events), but in DIRTcar sanctioned events, the costs are still there.
* Purses are about the same as asphalt or, in the case of IMCA, lower. But the costs are lower so it equals out.

Thunder Road is a track with very basic facilities, with not much finesse, but they nail the basics, which is all you need for a successful track.

RACENUT
07-07-2008, 10:43 PM
Ray Evernham Was On Serius Radio Last Week And He Stated He Is Very Interested In Buying A Track. He Has A Backer From New Jersey Looking Around For Him Also. I'm Sure He Would Try To Keep The Cost Down For The Drivers And Help Make It Fan -friendly. Hopefully The Track Will Not Be To Far Away.

Wheel Racing
07-07-2008, 10:45 PM
Ray Everham Was On Serius Radio Last Week And He Stated He Is Very Interested In Buying A Track. He Has A Backer From New Jersey Looking Around For Him Also. I'm Sure He Would Try To Keep The Cost Down For The Drivers And Help Make It Fan -friendly. Hopefully The Track Will Not Be To Far Away.

Maybe he'll step up and buy Wall after all.Just a day late and a dollar short