PDA

View Full Version : Family Sections

Jeff T
06-29-2008, 12:46 PM
This is an open request to the management of Riverhead Raceway:
Would you please consider making sections of the Grandstands (both front stretch and back stretch) "Family Sections"?
At last nights events, I sat with my two children on the front stretch grandstands by Captain Video's booth. In front of me and beside me were some young families with children as young as 5 years old ranging to about 13 years old. Behind us, there were a group of adult men whoo obviously took on etoo many trips to the Miller stand throwing around the "F" word about 5 times per sentence spoken. These "men" were not concerned, nor cared enough, that there were young children in the area . As the one "man" was leaving, he anounced to his buddies and the entire crown in this section that he was going to go home and "get l@!d" not once, but 3 times as he walked down the grandstands. Many of these people around me with their families looked back at these "gentlemen" many times as their vularities became more frequent. I know that for some of this group around me, they were first time attendee's to Riverhead Raceway. I talked with several of these people after the group left, and they were very upset with what had transpired during the night with these people. Because of this type of behavior by this group, it will remain to be seen if they will return to Riverhead Raceway again due to these unfortunate "men".
For this reason, I feel that of the management of Riverhead Raceway wishes to have return customers with famililes, they need to create "Family Only" sections on both sides of the raceway so that young families are not subject to this type of drunken and vulgar behavior. Most other racetracks have adopted this practice to keep the family coming back and enjoying their visits to their local racetrack. In my opinion, this would be a Win/Win situation for both the raceway and young families who wish to spend an evening out together enjoying the races.

randomrodder
06-29-2008, 01:45 PM
I mean this with no disrespect at all. I also agree that such vulgarity should not be displayed in front of children but, why didn't you stand up and say something? I have in the past and I know if it were to rear it's ugly head again, I would stand up and ask them to Please refrain for lower their voices for the children's sake.

I know most people that act the way you discribe can't understand what is being asked of them but, I have also seen it work first hand. I know there are those that will counter with, Yeah and get your face busted. That's ok, you have a lawsuit going for you then.

This is the problem now a days. Everyone wants the establishment, read that government, to do our jobs for us. Stand up and be counted. Speak up or get over run.

My children grew up at the track, they heard foul language but when it got out of hand, I spoke up and was respected enough by the foul mouths that they toned it down. Try it. But, please use the right tone of voice and attitude.

maestri fan 1
06-29-2008, 02:08 PM
I have been to a few tracks with a setup like you were talking about. It is a fun time for everyone. Thunderroad Speedbowl has "BUDWEISER" HILL and that is the only place where alcohol is permitted, and when Friendship was around in NC there was a no swearing rule. I think this would be a positive thing for the track if they did this.

Jeff T
06-29-2008, 02:59 PM
Hey Random, I know my kids have grown up around it too. They are both teens now, so they have heard it all. My concern is with what kind of impression is it making for newcomers? I could see their displeasure in how they were looking at the group. When you are trying to get new people in the front door, you want to keep them coming back. Actions like this chases them away. We should not have to remind adults to watch their actions around young children and young families, no matter how much they have had to drink. It's a little thing called "Common Courtesy".

randomrodder
06-29-2008, 03:14 PM
I see and agree with your point. The problem being is, not enough people in the past have spoken up often enough to put civility back into human nature. Ergo, the smut and filth that fills not only the grandstands but TV and movies also.

jeffrey
06-29-2008, 04:27 PM
I sat in the same section last night with a family and there 2 boys.and had to lisson to the same junk you did.I agree with you a 100% riverhead should have a family section.why should we have to move or say something to a drunk or someone who dose not care what they say.alot of other tracks are doing the same thing.they have a no alcohol section.so riverhead should put in a family section at the track.

Jaws
06-29-2008, 05:25 PM
I mean this with no disrespect at all. I also agree that such vulgarity should not be displayed in front of children but, why didn't you stand up and say something? I have in the past and I know if it were to rear it's ugly head again, I would stand up and ask them to Please refrain for lower their voices for the children's sake.

I know most people that act the way you discribe can't understand what is being asked of them but, I have also seen it work first hand. I know there are those that will counter with, Yeah and get your face busted. That's ok, you have a lawsuit going for you then.

This is the problem now a days. Everyone wants the establishment, read that government, to do our jobs for us. Stand up and be counted. Speak up or get over run.

My children grew up at the track, they heard foul language but when it got out of hand, I spoke up and was respected enough by the foul mouths that they toned it down. Try it. But, please use the right tone of voice and attitude.

I agree that there should be family sections for all the mentionsed reason. Why not in turn 2 with an area under the score board where the little kids can play. I know they play there now but its no more than a dirt pit now.

Also as for standing up to a drunk fan may not be the smartest move. Its not like asking a rational sober person.

randomrodder
06-29-2008, 05:32 PM
I agree that there should be family sections for all the mentionsed reason. Why not in turn 2 with an area under the score board where the little kids can play. I know they play there now but its no more than a dirt pit now.

Also as for standing up to a drunk fan may not be the smartest move. Its not like asking a rational sober person.

I've done it for years, since tending bar at 17. Intimidation is just that. Back down and you get nowhere in life.

Try it on the race track some day. You'll never win a race. I'm not saying, go smack down some drunk fool but when you are surrounded by like minded folk, it just might give that drunk something to think about before security is called.

Geez, let's take back what is rightfully ours and not let "government" dictate everything for us.

W. J.
06-29-2008, 06:34 PM
Taking Randomrodder's idea and running with it, maybe it's worth a try to stand up during a quieter time during the night and loudly announce, "Hey, am I the only one who is offended by this bad language? Will everyone else who is please stand and join me." There is safety in numbers, and I'd bet many will stand and join you, letting the 'idiots' know they better change their ways or move.
It would be nice for the track to designate areas for these 'yahoos' to congregate, but that would just mean they have another area to have to beef up security, as I'm sure these drunks won't stay in their pen. J/M/O

randomrodder
06-29-2008, 06:54 PM
Right W.J. Taking back America, one grandstand at a time! LOL

RGeeProductions
06-29-2008, 07:01 PM
Taking Randomrodder's idea and running with it, maybe it's worth a try to stand up during a quieter time during the night and loudly announce, "Hey, am I the only one who is offended by this bad language? Will everyone else who is please stand and join me." There is safety in numbers, and I'd bet many will stand and join you, letting the 'idiots' know they better change their ways or move.
It would be nice for the track to designate areas for these 'yahoos' to congregate, but that would just mean they have another area to have to beef up security, as I'm sure these drunks won't stay in their pen. J/M/O

WOW, so you really think it would be right to stand up to a bunch of drunks versus asking the track for a section to avoid trouble?
Sorry, as much as I would stand up and say that, I don't think it would be a wise decision.

randomrodder
06-29-2008, 07:02 PM
I was just going over this thread with my wife. She became a fan while we dated going back to the days of Islip Speedway.

She confirmed to me that I did indeed speak up often and not only did they listen, they often appologized for their behavior. They were being caught up in the moment, as we often do. And, as children, if not reigned in, they tend to get out of hand.

One either stands up for one's beliefs and standards or runs for cover to something larger that can protect them from what they fear might happen to them. The thing is, in most cases, NOTHING is going to happen to them. Too many witness for one, too many lawyers for two.

Now, let's enjoy the races.

randomrodder
06-29-2008, 07:08 PM
WOW, so you really think it would be right to stand up to a bunch of drunks versus asking the track for a section to avoid trouble?
Sorry, as much as I would stand up and say that, I don't think it would be a wise decision.

How long do you think the drunks will abide by these rules? Standing up does not mean asking for trouble. As I said before, if you have an attitude of smaking down the drunk, THEN you are asking for trouble. They don't want trouble either. Just a good time. They get carried away and need to be reigned in.

I've seen it often in my many years of life and experience.

W. J.
06-29-2008, 08:00 PM
Sorry, as much as I would stand up and say that, I don't think it would be a wise decision.You, as usual, misinterpreted my post. I didn't say stand ALONE, I suggested enlisting the help of the sober MAJORITY around you. I've seen it done, and it works.
There is no section where you could avoid trouble, they'd be in the one right next to you anyway, still causing a problem.

The Bullfather
06-29-2008, 08:02 PM
I've spoken up MANY times before at races, music shows and events. I just whooooaaa buddy got little kids here! Most times they back down and stay quiet for the most part. Have fun, enjoy the show but have a little respect too for people and yourself!

randomrodder
06-29-2008, 08:33 PM
I know it will work better then waiting on the track to do anything like open up a special section. How many of you would like to move so the drunks can take over YOUR favorite seats. Yes, the ones you have been sitting in for years.

I was an Islip fan that frequated Riverhead. When Islip closed and Riverhead was the only show in town, we went to Riverhead. I didn't like it anywhere near as much as I loved Islip. Main reason? All the drunks there. That's right. Islip was more a family track and the patrons saw it stayed that way. I saw kids grow up there. Mine did. From a year old in 1974 till the track shut down. Now you have my youngest with you at the Head. Pete is part of Riverhead and he loves the place.

I for one would do all I can to keep the track going and being a family place for as long as I can. Just don't wait on the track to do a thing about it.

BOWATCHER
06-29-2008, 08:39 PM
Hey Jeff bring the family to turn 2 up in OXEEVILLE you guys are welcome anytime and anyone else for that matter. The kids have a blast pickin the cars to win and taking home $$$$ LOL

The Bullfather
06-29-2008, 08:44 PM
It won't be a family secontion if Jeff shows up in OXEEVILE! lol Just kidding. The backstretch usually has a more tone down family section. Think most families walk through that gate and sit down.

randomrodder
06-29-2008, 08:57 PM
Hey Jeff bring the family to turn 2 up in OXEEVILLE you guys are welcome anytime and anyone else for that matter. The kids have a blast pickin the cars to win and taking home $$$$ LOL

That's where I am with my scooter when I get to the track.

RGeeProductions
06-29-2008, 09:56 PM
You, as usual, misinterpreted my post. I didn't say stand ALONE, I suggested enlisting the help of the sober MAJORITY around you. I've seen it done, and it works.
There is no section where you could avoid trouble, they'd be in the one right next to you anyway, still causing a problem.

Nope, I fully understood. A group of sober people and a group of drunks. You can't tell me that it's 100% that it would go well. It COULD turn haywire and why take that chance. It could really ruin a good family night.
And I disagree about where a place could be had. Under the announcers tower OR BOWATCHER's area.

randomrodder
06-29-2008, 10:23 PM
OK, let's work on it. Who's going to the powers that be first?

Scotty Wolf
06-30-2008, 12:11 AM
Jeff, your 100% right, I have been to many tracks that do have a family section, I think it is a great idea. Hey Jeff, did you email the track about this idea? I hear that the owners do read and respond to positive emails.

randomrodder
06-30-2008, 12:32 AM
If you can get them to do it, I'm all for it. But I think it's easier said then done. Imagine going to your seat of several years and seeing, No Drinking Section up one day. Bet you hear a lot of cursing as they stomp up the grandstand with beer in hand.

Security doesn't do anything with minor things as it is now. How are they going to enforce this? Management? The track has gone on this way for decades, they won't change it now. Unless everyone boycotts the track.

Now if it were a brand new facility then it would be an easy thing to accomplish and enforce.

randomrodder
06-30-2008, 05:55 AM
Mary and Joe Smith goes to the races every week and have been for the past 6 years or more. They sit with the same group of 10-15 people every week. They also enjoy having 2-3 beers while enjoying an evening of stock car viewing and sharing with their friends.

The evening ends and they say their, good nights and have a good week.

Next Saturday comes and they pick up their two beers a piece and walk to their regular seats only to find a sign that says, No Drinking Section. What? We can't sit with our good friends? They look down the stands to see, "Drinking Section". They stroll down and find seats.

They do not enjoy the show because they are not with their friends and because now they are in a section with 50 drunken, foul, loud mouth idiots that no one will do anything about.

Is this fair to Mary and Joe? And what of all the other one or two beer drinkers. Should we have a; 1-2 Beer Section, 3-4 Beer Section, 5-6 Beer Section, 8-falling down Drunk Section?

Come on. Get rid of the Security who are never there when you need them, Hire Rent A Cops or off duty cops and report offenders and have them tossed if they don't shape up.

It's going to cost the track one way or another one of these days. Let's be realists and not idealists.

allhailunc
06-30-2008, 06:51 AM
I on many a night broke up fights between drunks on the frontstretch-The beer stands ate notorious for not stopping sale of alcohol to obviously inebriated individuals.we had a Bozo that we used to call "beer muscles"because after a few beers he'd try to start with everyone(he used to sit on the front stretch wearing his muscle t shirt and downing many many a miller beer.(i remember getting in between him and someone from Lutz's group and almost paying the ultimate).my son,whom many of you know as being quite a "docile" character-never wanting a conflict,was set upon by four such individuals to whom he requested that they lower their voices and language level-until i stepped in and being the "unstable" person i am(no laughing walter) went for the largest one and "explained" that it would be in their best interest to either calm down or be removed.until responsible people are put into the stands that sell the beer this kinds of obnoxious and unwanted behavior will continue.Kids get enough of this kind of BullS**T elsewhere-why expose them to a good night out with such behaviour.besides doesn't the track/beer sellers realize that while they are "supposedly" not responsible for the actions of those to whom they sell alcohol God forbid if these individuals cause serious accidents on the way home-trust me the track/beer vendors can and will be held responsible:mad:

leah28racing
06-30-2008, 08:20 AM
Should try sending an email at Riverheadraceway.com

Or even calling.. 631-842-RACE.And speak to someone there.

Hollywood
06-30-2008, 09:57 AM
How about if the security gaurds stepped up and did their jobs? This is exactly what they are there for.... To make the track a safe and comfortable place for EVERYONE

JMHO

randomrodder
06-30-2008, 10:21 AM
Turn 2, usually a security guy there. Last year, two little kids start fighting, one starts hitting this woman, really goes to town on her. Security guard disappears. Not a yellow shirt to be seen anywhere around turns 1 or 2. The kids was only 4 years old at best. And you want these guys to handle drunks? Get real security not minimum pay guys there to watch the races.

Jeff T
06-30-2008, 10:24 AM
Yes, I did send a copy of this post in an email to the Riverhead Raceway office. As for changing my seats , I spend most of my time in the pits, but do go out and join my kids to watch the races when my work is done in their. As I stated before, they are both teens, they have grown up there, and are unfortunately familiar with the behavior of the drunken race fan. My concerns for this whole matter is watching the horror on the faces of people who are parents of young children. I recently went to Dover with both of my children, and the people in the stands there were as nice as could be. Were they drinking, Yes. Were they in control, Yes. Everyone was repectful of everyone else there. The same can be said for many other tracks I have attended-Albany Saratoga, Wall, Riverside Park, Thompson, Stafford, and so on. Most of these places (except Dover of course) also have (or in some cases had) Family sections in their grandstands. If a parent chooses to have 1 or 2 beers while at the track with their children, that is their priority, but if you have a people who are wishing to keep their children from the drunken behavior and rudeness that occurs quite often when alcohol is involved, they should have an option available to them to be able to be seated in a Family Section. Chances are that they will have an enjoyable time for that evening and will more than likely become a return customer.

PitGateCowboy
06-30-2008, 10:55 AM
Years ago (more than I'd like to remember)I was a security supervisor at Islip and later at Riverhead. That was uniformed security (rent-a cops)' we had people in the parking lots actually parking cars in neat rows, and others in the grandstands. There is no security at rvrhd raceway now. They are Event
Staff and only a few if any have any experience in crowd control or handling drunks or obnoxious people. It's a shame, but that's how it is. The response time for Event Staff personel is poor at best. You are better off dialing 911.

Hollywood
06-30-2008, 11:07 AM
Turn 2, usually a security guy there. Last year, two little kids start fighting, one starts hitting this woman, really goes to town on her. Security guard disappears. Not a yellow shirt to be seen anywhere around turns 1 or 2. The kids was only 4 years old at best. And you want these guys to handle drunks? Get real security not minimum pay guys there to watch the races.

This is EXACTLY my point... Get REAL security

FERGBIZZ
06-30-2008, 02:49 PM
We drink (excessively maybe) in turn 1 (cowboys) but I believe for the most part we are well behaved. We are definitely loud but very little or no cursing (maybe the occasional flipping the bird). I agree w/ making the family seating optional. It would not be right to make several non-drinking sections at the track, I say allow drinking everywhere except the bleacher set up for "optional family seating", best bet for that bleacher would prob. be the one coming off of turn 4. JMO

:cheers:

randomrodder
06-30-2008, 03:38 PM
I can dig a non-drinking section, it might displace some long time fans that have sat and drank in those seats but, you can't please all of the people all of the time.

Though, my feelings are the same as Hollywoods because security takes in a lot more then some drunken fools.

top row crew
06-30-2008, 07:25 PM
the guys are a blast and such great entertainment, take your kids to the circus. haters

Jaws
06-30-2008, 07:36 PM
the guys are a blast and such great entertainment, take your kids to the circus. haters

I thought going to Riverhead was a circus!! (Some weeks!! lol)

top row crew
06-30-2008, 07:37 PM
those guys by captain video are there all the time. first timers go home.

randomrodder
06-30-2008, 08:04 PM
There goes any sanity to this thread. Some people have such wisdom, dare I say, lack thereof? it astonishes me.

W. J.
06-30-2008, 09:22 PM
First timers go home.
And when they no longer come, and the track loses money, where will you go? :disgusted :rolleyes:

fastgal
06-30-2008, 10:26 PM
the grandstands coming off turn four would be good because it is pretty far from the beer stand

allhailunc
07-01-2008, 01:02 AM
those guys by captain video are there all the time. first timers go home.

heck of a lot of "old timer's" don't go anymore so one had better pray for the first timers to take up the slack and take up all the fans dressed as empty seats

Ka$h25
07-01-2008, 01:31 AM
While I agree with what most of you are saying, compare it to concerts, baseball or football games, and Riverhead is more like church. In general it's tough to police swearing, especially if it's being used in general conversation - dirty or not.

As for hiring better (real) security, thats really not a logical option. It's not worth shelling out the money to have a "real" security guard dealing with drunk men who are cursing.

And as for standing up for yourself, some of you sure sound like you recommend challenging the loud mouths, and thats a super philosophy. Don't let your kid's mind be polluted with garbage talk, without teaching them how to start a confrontation. If you're worried about the kids, then say something casually -- if it's ignore you get up notify security and sit somewhere else. We all know there's plenty of seats out there.

Tower Man
07-01-2008, 07:23 AM
Pitgate, you are 100 % correct. And so is the Ramrodder. Many people have sat in the same area for years and will not move. Beer is a high profit item for the track, so don't expect them to curtail the drinking.

It's a shame how a few can ruin something for the many.

W. J.
07-01-2008, 08:09 AM
Perhaps a few reminders over the PA, when people are reminded of where to buy beer. Something like, "When you consume Miller beer, remeber the folks around you and please act in a polite manner." I know it won't work on all the drunks, but it can't hurt to try and reach a few of them with a reminder to be sensative to those around them.

leah28racing
07-01-2008, 08:54 AM
WOW! W.J. and i have an agreement on something lol!!!!
That is a good idea.. to have Bob Finan make announcement, whick i'm sure he will.

Hey listen we all want Riverhead to be around, It's somewhere to race where we don't have to travel toooooo far. Got to stick together people on a situation like this....

W. J.
07-01-2008, 10:48 AM
WOW! W.J. and i have an agreement on something lol!!!2 things; don't forget Cove Haven..LOL!

leah28racing
07-01-2008, 11:55 AM
lol!!:):lol::lol:
yeah thats true everyoneshould go there. but i don't want t oget in trouble for going off topic....

randomrodder
07-01-2008, 01:50 PM
While I agree with what most of you are saying, compare it to concerts, baseball or football games, and Riverhead is more like church. In general it's tough to police swearing, especially if it's being used in general conversation - dirty or not.

As for hiring better (real) security, thats really not a logical option. It's not worth shelling out the money to have a "real" security guard dealing with drunk men who are cursing.

And as for standing up for yourself, some of you sure sound like you recommend challenging the loud mouths, and thats a super philosophy. Don't let your kid's mind be polluted with garbage talk, without teaching them how to start a confrontation. If you're worried about the kids, then say something casually -- if it's ignore you get up notify security and sit somewhere else. We all know there's plenty of seats out there.

If you know my son Pete, the Pit Bull, you know he is not confrontational. Yet, he grew up watching me stand up for what I believe is right in life and not backing down. He also never saw a punch thrown by either party but, he did see results. When I say, stand up, I am NOT saying, be as big a jerk as the drunk. Come on, I think people here have more sense then that.

I think Walt's idea wouldn't hurt a bit. Reminders will not only help advertise but maybe keep a few in line.

SuperShafts
07-01-2008, 08:29 PM
As the one "man" was leaving, he anounced to his buddies and the entire crown in this section that he was going to go home and "get l@!d" not once, but 3 times as he walked down the grandstands. .

You should have tripped him....and gave a little push

big502cubes
07-01-2008, 08:47 PM
I really think this thread is great because i was one of the guys up in the top row. For this guy to call us drunks he must have been drunk. While I was at the track I had 2 beers with my friends in the top row and the other 2 guys had 1. I understand that we are loud but we are just there to have fun and watch the racing. As far as the cursing if we were cursing to much all you had to do was turn around and ask us to quiet down and we would of stoped we are not there to start any trouble. As far as the guy saying he was going to get laid thats wrong on his part. The thing that gets me is that you wait to get home and write on a computer and start bashing people. If you had a problem you should have just asked us to stop. Just to let you know I also to church on sunday and asked for forgiveness for cursing.

Hollywood
07-02-2008, 07:43 PM

You're right!

So here you go..... Would you guys in the "Top row" please watch your mouths?

Being loud is fine! Enjoying yourself is fine! Look at the turn 1 guys! They are revered for their ability to have a lot of fun and not make anyone mad.

Over on the karting side I have a 6 year old driving and My mother in law comes to the races and I have on more then one occasion asked more then one person to "watch their mouths" Guess what, we never got in any fights.

Lets have fun while we can still have fun....... :wave:
HW

LongIslandJam
07-02-2008, 08:53 PM
And that's the moral of the story Hollywood. It's all about the fun. If someone's rowdiness intrudes on your fun, let them know. If they don't listen, then take it up with security. We're all here to have fun and we just got to keep in mind that our fun might not be the same fun that others want to share in.

OK, we've voiced our thoughts... Let's move on to next week - hopefully a happier week in the stands.:cheers::)