PDA

View Full Version : Hanbury Motorsports July Newsletter

RGeeProductions
06-30-2008, 07:15 PM
June was a rough month weather wise for Hanbury Motorsports with half of their scheduled racing programs getting rained out. When it wasn’t raining Tony Hanbury was busy winning feature races at Spencer and Chemung. If Tony would have had any racing luck on his side he could have had at least three more wins this month. Tony and the entire Hanbury Motorsports team is looking forward to the month of July and a bit drier weather pattern that will allow some more racing to get in.

JUNE REWIND

6th – The hottest night of the racing season saw the hottest NASCAR driver in New York State win his third consecutive feature start and his second consecutive win at the Spencer Speedway. Tony started 11th in the feature aboard the Wilson / Resus co - owned NASCAR Modified. Tony took his time getting to the front and he took the lead with 10 laps to go.

“I really feel good for Joshua and John because they work so hard at getting this car ready for me week in and week out “ said Tony. “ I know I was excited to win my second in a row but I know both of them are really excited with the win. “

“ By having the Super Modifieds here tonight really helped the track as they put some rubber down and that helped me in the feature. Plus putting 1 new tire on for the feature was a big difference too. “

7th - The next night the winning streak continued at the Chemung Speedrome as Tony won his second consecutive feature here and fourth win in a row. Tony started 12th in the feature and took the lead with 19 laps to go.

“ I slowly worked my way to the front tonight “ said Tony. “ Then I ran the car hard on the outside of Danny Kurzejewski for three laps until I cleared him and after that it was easy sailing. “

20th – After some rainouts the first extra distance race of the season at Spencer saw a good finish go by the wayside but there’s optimism after the performance of the car in the 75 lap feature.

Tony started 13th in the feature and was promptly spun out just three laps into the feature. Tony restarted at the rear ( 22nd ) and started his run back up through the field. With caution coming out with two laps to go and Tony in fifth, spirits were high after this run. But as rotten luck would have it the car ran out of fuel under the yellow and Tony had to settle for a disappointing 12th place finish.

“ It was frustrating after being spun out and then working ourselves all the way back up to fifth, only to run out of fuel “ said Tony. “ But I was happy and so were Joshua and John ( co – owners ) as the car showed potential in the extra distance race and that is something to build on. We’re right there with this car and all we need is some breaks weekly for some top five finishes. “

27th – This evening of racing at Spencer saw Tony compete in three different features and with any luck he could have had three wins. But as racing luck would have it Tony only ended up with one win, a very important win for Tony. By winning the second Modified feature of the evening Tony was able to accomplish one of his season goals. That goal was to win a Modified feature with his own self owned equipment and that is what he did on this night.

The first Modified feature was the 1st of two postponed June 13th features. Tony and Terry Cheetham went at for the lead for a majority of the feature. One the final lap contact between the two saw Cheetham spin out while Tony went on to the feature win. However Spencer track officials made the correct call as they penalized Tony two positions for rough riding. The penalty found Tony finishing in third position officially.

“ I screwed up “ admitted Tony. “ I got into Terry and I apologize to him, we were racing really hard and I got into him. That is not the way I race and that is not the way to win a feature. “

The second Modified feature saw an invert of the top six finishers from the first feature being used in the lineup. This placed Tony in fourth for the second feature postponed from June 13th.

The winning move occurred on lap seven as Tony went from fourth to first with a thrilling outside move. Once in the lead Tony left the competition in the dust as he recorded his first Modified win of the year and his first career Modified win as a car owner.

“ I accomplished one of my goals at the start of the year by winning tonight “ said a very happy Tony Hanbury. “ Many people said that I could never win in a Modified without the help of a major big dollar sponsor. Well I proved to everyone tonight that I can win in a Modified by racing my self owned equipment and the best part of this win was that it was a total team effort by the Hanbury Motorsports Team. “

Tony continued on about the win. “ I have to thank the Lewis crew for getting this car working this good at Spencer. Finally I have to say a big Thank You to all of my sponsors who support my racing effort, without them all of this success wouldn’t be possible without them. “

The NASCAR Modified feature for the second week in a row saw a top five finish go away in the final laps of the feature. Tonight while racing comfortably in second and with four laps to go and under a yellow flag period Tony was sent to the pits as his car was leaking fluid on to the speedway. The culprit for the second time this year with his dad’s car was an overheating issue.

“ It was a real bummer being sent to the pits “ said Tony. “ I think I could have had a shot at the win because it was a driver who was going for his first win that was in front of me. I know from my prior experience when going for that first win, you do get a little nervous. I think I could have taken advantage of that nervousness but we’ll never know now. It’s too bad because I lost two top five finishes in the last two weeks. Those two lost finishes have really taken an impact on the point standings. “

After Friday night’s racing program at Spencer Tony is leading the Touring Modified point standings. Over in the NASCAR Modified division Tony is fifth in the point standings.

29th – Chemung first extra distance race of the year on a special Sunday afternoon show due to the High School graduation of track owner Bob Stapleton’s daughter on Saturday.

This show run under threatening skies saw another dominating run by Tony Hanbury to claim his third consecutive Chemung feature. Tony started 11th and took his time working up through the field until taking the lead on lap 28. Tony had to survive five restarts until the rains came making the race official at lap 68 of the 75 laps that were scheduled.

“ This was a big win for us because we haven’t raced here in a few weeks due to the awful weather “ said Tony. “ Plus with this race being an extra distance, Sunday afternoon race, the track conditions are a little different than they are on Saturday nights. I was pleased how the car worked for the first afternoon show of the year. We’ll take the notes from today and put them in the back of our minds until the next Sunday afternoon show here at Chemung which is August 17th. “

With the win Tony kept the lead in the NASCAR Modified track point standings at Chemung where he has won three out of four features this year.

2008 STATS AS OF JULY 1, 2008

NASCAR Modified Starts; 5 wins ( 5-24 Chemung, 5-30 Spencer, 6-6 Spencer, 6-7 Chemung, 6-29 Chemung ), a 7th, a 9th, a 12th, ( 2 ) 13th . 10 races, 5 wins, 5 top 5’s, 7 top 10’s, 2 DNF’s ( ran out of fuel, overheating ).

Modified starts; 1 win ( 6 – 27 Spencer ), a 3rd, a 4th, a 18th. 4 races, 1 Win, 3 top 5’s , 3 top 10’s, 1 DNF ( overheating ).

OVERALL SEASON STATS

14 starts, 6 wins, a 3rd, a 4th, a 7th, a 9th, a 12th, ( 2 ) 13th, a 18th. 8 top 5’s, 10 top 10’s, 3 DNF’s.

JULY RACING SCHEDULE *schedule subject to change depending on weather and makeup races
4th – Spencer Double 35 lap NASCAR Modified features, 1st feature rained out from June 13th. Fireman Appreciation Night
5th – Chemung NASCAR Modifieds 40 lap feature.
11th – Chemung SPECIAL FRIDAY NIGHT SHOW. NASCAR Modifieds 40 lap feature.
12th – Spencer SPECIAL SATURDAY NIGHT SHOW. NASCAR Modifieds 35 lap feature. Tony is currently trying to line up a Whelen NASCAR Modified Tour ride for this night also.
18th – Spencer NASCAR Modifieds 35 lap feature.
19th – Chemung NASCAR Modifieds 40 lap feature.
25th – Spencer NASCAR Modifieds 35 laps.
26th – Chemung Mid –Season Championship Night NASCAR Modifieds 50 lap feature.

SPONSORS

Hanbury Motorsports would like to say Thank You to their sponsors of their 2008 racing effort. Papa John’s of Johnson City and Owego, Gail Clark Race Engines, Kolba Construction, Dave Jackson, Mr. Koffee, Scott Smith and Son, Chuck Talcott Well Drilling, NAPA Auto Parts of Owego, John’s Fine Foods, Nelcorp, Chandler Race Products, Raytech Security, Family Fitness Center of Nichols, North 40, PDG Graphics, P.J.Byrne Restoration Company, Parts Plus of Owego, Fastech Race Car Bodies, Owego Sanitation, Hanbury Sanitation, Harris Diner, and Tri County Refrigeration.

JR’S MOTORSPORTS MEDIA