PDA

View Full Version : Newsday Page 2.

Jaws
07-07-2008, 08:31 AM
Typical, week to week the track does not exist (Yes I know Tuesday results) but have a demo car explode and bang.....Page 2!

Get well soon to James White!

Tracy87BB
07-07-2008, 08:53 AM
The media is driven by what attracts attention. Very often, sad as that may be, that means that sensationalism sells.

Thankfully, Jimmy is apparently on the road to recovery, thanks to his own quick thinking and the actions of everyone on the scene, as well as those who attended to him afterwards.

Also, it is good to hear that Mike Rommeney is home recuperating.

rabbid1
07-07-2008, 06:35 PM
I want to know what kind of morons would possibly think that that was part of the show ???? As per the article

Jaws
07-07-2008, 08:09 PM
I want to know what kind of morons would possibly think that that was part of the show ???? As per the article

No one would have thought that!

The Bullfather
07-07-2008, 09:11 PM
Who the heck sent them the video??? Sick Bast!#$$ I'm sorry, but thats crazy. I have the video that WILL NEVER see the light of day ever! How the heck can they show a human on fire, Newsday should have made a better decision! Jimmy went through a lot of pain and is going to suffering through a lot more. This video is distasteful I had the shut it off, My camera was shut off because of humanity. No camera should have been running after Jimmy came out of the car, the track crew helped put him out, but the stupid camera kept rolling footage. I'm tired of seeing videos like this on Youtube or on TV, people think it's entertaining, it's not! People don't care for the well being of others anymore, well some people don't! Newsday should have some respect and remove it!

modified_fan
07-08-2008, 02:29 PM
The past few months have made me wonder if Newsday has decided that objective journalism does not sell, and tabloid journalism (such as The New York Post) is the only way to survive in a declining newpaper industry.

After Monday and Tuesday's editions (NOT to mention that sick video) that viewpoint was cemented.

Thank god these competitors appear to be on the road to recovery. My sincere best wishes go out to them and their families.

On a different note, Riverhead raceway just received huge free publicity. I realize to our racing community, it makes us feel sick to out stomachs. But perhaps, perhaps this coverage (however morbidly slanted) is a good thing for the track in general. It has been sad seeing all these empty seats this year.

Jeff T
07-08-2008, 03:09 PM
As for who provided the video, if you read the Newsday article, they reference Richard Todd. They mention that he video's the events at the racetrack and then they have a quote from him in the article. For those of you who do not know who Richard Todd is, he is better known as "Capt. Video". I'm not saying that he did or would provide the video, but only he has the option to tell the Riverhead Raceway community whether he did provide the footage of the accident or not.
The one thing that bothers me about the article is Jim Cromarty's quotes in the paper where he doesn't see where more safety measures will be needed and that some drivers won't wear firesuits because they will get hot. His comments seemed very cold and uncaring in my opinion.
There is always room for improvement when safety is involved. Many of these drivers in the demo's are seasoned. They have seen many a demo. There are very few newcomers as far as I can see. So what is the problem with mandating at least a 1 layer firesuit which is fairly reasonable ? I would also like to see the use of some sort of reasonably priced 5 gallon fuel cell mounted to the floor of these demo cars to prevent such an accident from happening again.

nitros77
07-08-2008, 04:15 PM
That really sucked for him glad he's ok.as far as showing the video why not real tv shows stuff like that all the time it happens its part of everyday life.especially racing, accidents happen.

The Bullfather
07-08-2008, 04:44 PM
Sal, your kidding right? How could anyone post a video of someone's pain and suffering and show it as entertainment????It's low class, I have many names right now in my head, but I can't write them down! You know anyone who has been in a fire, burned? I'm sure you have, in fact someone close to us has been! It's not entertaining to watch someones pain and suffering. How many times did you see Dale Sr. accident after they reported he died, not too many times after the fact. This young man is going through a lot right now, and someone has to capitialize on his pain! IT'S HORRIBLE, Richard Todd should be ashamed that he would let Newsday use it and use it as an entertainment factor! Jimmy White it's about you bro, I pray for a quick recovery my friend. The racing videos use see on TV such as Kalita video should have never been shown either, think of the families who have had love ones go through that pain. Always something for the almighty dollar and another rating or hit! Sickens me!!

randomrodder
07-08-2008, 06:48 PM
Pete had the full video and he told us about it but made me swear that I would not tell anyone he had Jimmy White on tape. He said he'd never put out that tape for display. I take pride in the fact that that is my son's stand on what could have been a very tragic incident. Not that it wasn't one. It could have been much worse if it were not for the track crew and the EMTs there.
I was shocked to see the video on the Newsday site. I don't care for Newsday as it is, the only reason we get it 3 days a week is for the coupons lol. But, Newsday just dropped down another notch on my list of print or on line media.

Get well soon Jimmy. I had a best friend that had 2nd and 3rd degree burns and he healed very well. You've got a lot of people pulling for you.

W. J.
07-08-2008, 06:54 PM
Maybe the video was posted for a different reason besides entertainment. It also shows how quickly and efficiently track workers handled this dangerous situation. I'm sure Capt. Video was likely paid for use of the footage (Newsday and all papers do that). Why not wait and see what happens to that money. Perhaps he will donate it to Jimmy to help out with what will be huge medical expenses associated with this tragic accident.
The video should also serve as a wake up call to all competitors that they need to rethink safety, whether a safety item is mandated by the rules or not. As Jeff said, a single layer fire suit sure would provide better protection than what most demo drivers are mandated to wear up until (and after) this incident.

nitros77
07-08-2008, 07:12 PM
I wasn't saying it's good entertainment.but bad vids are out there hopefully they learn from this tragic event and jim will be good to go soon and race another day.

randomrodder
07-08-2008, 07:43 PM
Newsday basically saw it as NEWS, nothing more, nothing less. Everyone knows, bad news and tragedy sells papers. The outcome for the media is not as important as the shock value of what they "put out there".

Take Iraqi for instance, when our boys were dieing in droves in was everywhere you turned, now with the Surge, casualties have dropped signifacently, you don't see Iraqi in the news much anymore do you?

Prior to Saturday we were lucky to get much of any coverage from Newsday, think they will be out this week or when the demo derby is on schedule again.

Blood, fires and death bring out the best in the media. What a shame.

Jaws
07-08-2008, 08:17 PM
As for who provided the video, if you read the Newsday article, they reference Richard Todd. They mention that he video's the events at the racetrack and then they have a quote from him in the article. For those of you who do not know who Richard Todd is, he is better known as "Capt. Video". I'm not saying that he did or would provide the video, but only he has the option to tell the Riverhead Raceway community whether he did provide the footage of the accident or not.
The one thing that bothers me about the article is Jim Cromarty's quotes in the paper where he doesn't see where more safety measures will be needed and that some drivers won't wear firesuits because they will get hot. His comments seemed very cold and uncaring in my opinion.
There is always room for improvement when safety is involved. Many of these drivers in the demo's are seasoned. They have seen many a demo. There are very few newcomers as far as I can see. So what is the problem with mandating at least a 1 layer firesuit which is fairly reasonable ? I would also like to see the use of some sort of reasonably priced 5 gallon fuel cell mounted to the floor of these demo cars to prevent such an accident from happening again.

I agree with the that saftey always comes first, if any class needs a firesuit its those guys, they have no saftey equipment except a helmet, very dangerous.

As far as Jim's comments, even if they have no plans to do something, say you are looking into it, Newsday loves to keep stories like this alive for a while until some goverment agency is breathing down your neck.

Too bad they don't talk about all the saftey features in all the other divisions.

Wheel Racing
07-08-2008, 08:50 PM
Who the heck sent them the video??? Sick Bast!#$$ I'm sorry, but thats crazy. I have the video that WILL NEVER see the light of day ever! How the heck can they show a human on fire, Newsday should have made a better decision! Jimmy went through a lot of pain and is going to suffering through a lot more. This video is distasteful I had the shut it off, My camera was shut off because of humanity. No camera should have been running after Jimmy came out of the car, the track crew helped put him out, but the stupid camera kept rolling footage. I'm tired of seeing videos like this on Youtube or on TV, people think it's entertaining, it's not! People don't care for the well being of others anymore, well some people don't! Newsday should have some respect and remove it!

Sal, your kidding right? How could anyone post a video of someone's pain and suffering and show it as entertainment????It's low class, I have many names right now in my head, but I can't write them down! You know anyone who has been in a fire, burned? I'm sure you have, in fact someone close to us has been! It's not entertaining to watch someones pain and suffering. How many times did you see Dale Sr. accident after they reported he died, not too many times after the fact. This young man is going through a lot right now, and someone has to capitialize on his pain! IT'S HORRIBLE, Richard Todd should be ashamed that he would let Newsday use it and use it as an entertainment factor! Jimmy White it's about you bro, I pray for a quick recovery my friend. The racing videos use see on TV such as Kalita video should have never been shown either, think of the families who have had love ones go through that pain. Always something for the almighty dollar and another rating or hit! Sickens me!

I just got off the phone with Captain Video and here is his version of the story. First things first he wanted to send his best wishes to Jimmy and the entire White family on a speedy and complete recovery.

Newsday contacted the Captain and asked if he had any footage.They said the track directed them to him. He said that he did have some footage,but didn't know if it was right to release. He was told by Newsday that Jimmy White supposedly was doing a story with them and actually had an in car camera for this particular demo which was obviously destroyed. They told him that they wanted to do a positive story about the quickness of the track crew and the efforts that possibly saved even further injury.The intentions were not to sensationalize the situation nor make any money,in fact Captain Video turned over the tape for FREE.He is not trying to make any money and as a matter of fact has turned down numerous requests for copies. He said he will not be making copies or selling any out of respect for the family. The White family are the only ones that he will provide a copy for if they want it, but thats it.

You make a few contradicting statements in your own post about "I have the video that WILL NEVER see the light of day ever!" but then say "My camera was shut off because of humanity. No camera should have been running after Jimmy came out of the car" . I am confused, which one is it? You also mention the Dale Sr video that was not shown much after he was officially pronounced dead. Apples and Oranges here, Jimmy, although going through an incredible ordeal is thankfully not at that stage of injury. This video could be viewed as a courageuos effort and rescue as well as show Jimmy's fast thinking to get out quickly and then stop,drop and roll. There is the possibility of some good coming from the video release,(Safety enhancements,more awareness of dangers in these events, not to mention a reality check for some people that may want to participate in future demos etc)

Everybody is entitled to their opinion whether you think it is "low class" or just reporting of the news,etc.I think when you said "Jimmy White it's about you bro, I pray for a quick recovery my friend" ,you had the best intentions in mind,but in reality you made this incident more about YOU and your opinions ! You also mentioned the Kalitta video among others we have witnessed.I am not saying right or wrong,but these are the news worthy events that get the air time and press in todays society. I think you should have directed you anger and opinions more towards Newsday since they were the ones reporting the incident and less towards Capt Video who truly felt that he was doing the right thing.Never once was there a mention of "Captain Video" in any article.Every spot that mentioned him specifically only named him by his real name of Rick Todd.There was no interest in shill or drawing any attention to himself or his tapes. He made sure of that.

Pete, we have become pretty friendly the last few years and I respect your journalistic ambitions,I just think there were a few cases of "ready,fire,aim" here on a few peoples parts.

randomrodder
07-08-2008, 09:11 PM
I'm not going to say much on this matter but, WR, when you say that you think it's more about Pete, you are completely mistaken. I live with him and he is still quite upset that Newsday ran the video, it has/had nothing to do with any money that might or not have been involved. As a matter of fact, I brought that matter up and Pete said, No way, he didn't think Richard Todd would ever sell a tape like that. He was amazed angered that it was released.

Believe what you will but I live with this kid and see him work with teens when he's not at the track. He takes it to heart. So please, don't think what he said, especially after his best wishes to Jimmy, that it's all about Pete.
As a friend of a few years, I would think you'd know better.

W. J.
07-08-2008, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the clarification, Wheel, now we know the true intentions behind the publishing of the video. And I agree with you, it is also about the quick thinking on Jimmy's part to stop, drop and roll, and the great job done by all who helped him after the fire broke out.

wayne
07-08-2008, 10:20 PM
Hey Random, Are You Saying Pete Still Lives Home With His Dad? Lol, Just Kidding! Jimmy Was Joking Around, In Good Spirits, Say's He's Getting Back In A Race Car Asap And Even Making T Shirts. I Don't Think He Cares If Anyone Made A Video, Why Should Anyone Else Care? I'm Sure He Saw It And Made Some Funny Comment. I Could See If Someone Lost Their Life In The Tape But That's Not The Case. In Less Than 15 Seconds The Car Caught Fire He Got Out And Was Put Out. A Few Seconds Later He Was Loaded Into The Ambulance Giving A Thumbs Up To The Crowd, Not Some Gruesome Video Of Someone Burning To Death!! I'm Not Making It Seem Like It Wasn't Bad, I Know He's In The Hospital For A Few Weeks But You Guy's Are Turning This Thing In To Something Its Not!!! Jmo

Pete, you wanna know how anyone can post a video about someones pain and suffering... THEIR (THE WHITES) MAKING T-SHIRTS ABOUT IT!

randomrodder
07-08-2008, 10:29 PM
So, let's just call him Smoke from now shall we? :wave:

The Bullfather
07-08-2008, 10:33 PM
It's been used for all the wrong reasons, bad news is still good news for the new industry! I don't care why it was used, it shouldn't have! I've heard this from many people the past two days in and out of the racing community. I have a bridge to sell if you think Newsday wanted to show that video because of the track crew response time! Someone's injuries are being used for the wrong reasons. Newsday doesn't want to better the sport, they want to open all the small holes, it creates more news for them! I think of all the familes who have to deal with this issue from Angel Flight to all thoses in same unit as Jimmy and across this country. I care about them and what they have to deal with, Newsday could give a damn. Look at all the kid drownings they have covered the past few weeks. It's a ashame. If it was about me, I would have posted the video myself, but it will never see the light of day. I don't want to exploit the pain and suffering that Jimmy has to go through to get a rise out of people. It's message board, everyone writes from their opinions, but doesn't mean it all about them!

SuperShafts
07-09-2008, 12:21 AM
Newsday could give a damn. Look at all the kid drownings they have covered the past few weeks. It's a ashame. If it was about me, I would have posted the video myself, but it will never see the light of day. I don't want to exploit the pain and suffering that Jimmy has to go through to get a rise out of people. It's message board, everyone writes from their opinions, but doesn't mean it all about them!

Wow so you see all the news channels harping on peoples carelessness as to why there are so many child drownings and only see it as a exploit...
Now i see where the voice is screaming from....

The more they show and report incidents on kids drowning the more it makes you open your own eyes to the problem, and them reporting it makes you more aware...

Yeah lets hide the fact that Jimmy got burned from a fire...

Great idea, then people who do not know what happened and do not think it can happen won't have the judement of there own to view and say....

Maybe i should buy that fire suit....

Do something about that voice kid, it is clearly clouding your judgement on many levels..... From a accident or tragedy more often then not comes insight and learning....

Ka$h25
07-09-2008, 01:43 AM
I see PB's point, but I have to agree with Wheel 100%. Neither are wrong. Pete is a journalist and I'm glad to see him taking the anti-journalist view here. Most would be selling the video to the highest bidder for Ripleys or RealTV.

PB's 100% right with Newsday's intentions. Thats why the cover of Newsday this morning doesn't read "Safety crew acts fast". instead, it's -- "Demolition Derby Inferno: Family calls for tougher rules." That's why everything in the news is negative, and nothing short of super heroism will ever make the papers. That's why Wedding announcements get a 2x2" ad, while high profile divorces get the front page. It's just the way it is.

James White
07-09-2008, 03:50 AM
Everyone has a right to an opinion about this video and its placement on the web.I can only say this. as much a HORROR as this is there has been talk of little kids saying he did the right thing STOP.DROP and ROLL (let them learn)
adults want driver side door bars(LET THEM LEARN)I'll always wear a firesuit(LET THEM LEARN) and it goes on with every phone call and visit.Anyone that knows Jimmy (THE KID)White/called THE KID because everyone knew he was at a track somewhere doing any competitive race there was from Street Stocks in PA,Enduros anywhere or whatever he could squeeze in at Riverhead.
On Monday morning the common question was HOW DID THE KID DO.
Racing is a huge part of his life from the time he gave it his first shot.This is truly not a thing i would wish on anyone but this is THE GAME WE CHOSE TO PLAY and what has happened has happened a tradgedy yes,but a tradgedy doing what he loved(RACING) not on the road drinking and driving at 19 killing a freind or any other horrible story you hear of on the news.We have to be strong and upbeat as a family (RACE FREINDS INCLUDED)being miserable or beating ourselves down in front of him would be no HELP.He had no camera in car, NEWSDAY blows all comments out of porpotion, we were never asked about video going online(there is no yes or no to that) and any other questions anyone has just ask.I hope this clears up some doubt i haven't been sleeping good lately so I thought I would put a few words up I LOVE this KID we race together as well as he works for me in our buisness and he is an awesome KID with a great attitude and LOOK OUT HE WILL BE BACK.Just don't tell his mom where LOL.

P.S. We can all learn from this and he is upbeat and this family will be to !sorry to ramble

HIS DAD JIM SR.

RickFigure8
07-09-2008, 07:58 AM
I agree mostly with Wayne, Wheel, and of course Jimmy's father. Jimmy loves all aspects of the sport. He knows what could happen. What he did saturday, and what the track crew did saturday could not have been done better. He wasn't lucky, there was no luck involved, it was the very worst case situation involving fire you could possible have, and it was Jimmy and all involved who made it have the best possible outcome. I too wish him a speedy and complete recovery from the injuries, and from what I have heard about him in the past few days I know he will.
News is what it is, always has been and always will be. If its not sensational, tragic or of importance to the reader it's really not frontline news. If this had the outcome it could have had then I would agree on any video being tried to be kept private. The video as it stands now I don't feel is that big a deal to be released. I didn't see the paper, only the online article and I thought parts of that were out of context and worded wrong. Reading the article, if I didn't know any better, none of the racing at Riverhead required a firesuit. And then right after that Jim was quoted as saying he didn't expect any changes. I'm sure it was his quote but I bet it was said in reference to something totally different.
My feelings all demo drivers should be required to wear firesuits. Same with all Enduro drivers if they don't have to already. I also feel all enduro cars should have some sort of cage with drivers side bars. They are a street car. You turn sideways and get hit by another car doing 50mph and what could happen. No different than someone running a light or stop sign and how often is there not an unjury or worse? We have been very lucky in my eyes over the years. Every racing division we have has to have a fuel cell, mounted a particular way, inside a frame, with an X under it and straps and we have to wear a firesuit. Demo cars have whatever kind of container, held down by whatever means, inside the passenger compartment and they are not required to wear a firesuit. Make sense to you? Changes should be made. People who go back some years should remember all the early demo derby ads back then. Death Defying, Demo Drivers Cheat Death. That was the crowd draw. I know I'll have some who don't agree with me but I have never felt the racing I have done, oval or figure8, death defying. Dangerous to a degree, of course, but not death defying. I feel safer in a racecar than I do in a street car on the street, and that's the whole idea of it, the reason we have the rules that make our racercars as safe as they are so we can have fun tearing them up and putting them back together. A few changes would make the demo cars that much safer.

SuperShafts
07-09-2008, 11:17 PM
Any demo drivers, or other drivers thinking they need a fire suit.

Give the shop a call and we can get you a suit... I do not believe in selling safety items and making a profit..
We carry simpson/impact

Ka$h25
07-09-2008, 11:59 PM
Any demo drivers, or other drivers thinking they need a fire suit.

Give the shop a call and we can get you a suit... I do not believe in selling safety items and making a profit..
We carry simpson/impact

Wow, thats really impressive.

SuperShafts
07-10-2008, 06:22 PM
Thank you, that is one area i feel very strongly about.

Sometimes people skip safety items because that helmet, suit, hans might be just a bit to expensive and hold them back from buying it because another part for the motor, trans, rear or suspension is needed...

I myself have many times skipped safety and even tooling because of the expense, it took a learning curve for myself also to do things differently...

W. J.
07-10-2008, 06:45 PM
Good for you, Supershafts. Safety is something I always pushed to be the number one priority for every racer. If you can't afford the safety gear, you shouldn't be racing. Finding out the hard way is not the way to go.

CJfilms
07-10-2008, 08:38 PM
I hate to jump in a bit late here, but better late than never!

I was on the phone with the Sr. Critter Gitter, Jim White, and he was the one who told me to "watch the video, it is a real eye opener!" He is right about that... Whether you watch it and go ooohhh or go OMG...this isn't something to take lightly. This can happen to any driver at any time.

Supershafts, send me an email...joe@neetsracing.com...I have had a few drivers asking about renting fire suits for the upcoming NEETS event...I think we might be able to work something out.

After seeing that video, I rightfully am making it mandatory for all safety equipment to be equipped on each and every driver AND CHECKED...and for next season, plan on increasing safety standards within NEETS. Whereas items such as safety gloves are highly recommended, they will become mandatory.

Jim has definitely reached one person in this battle and I asure you that changes will be made within NEETS...we have always been focused on safety...now we just need to turn up the volume to make sure everyone is listening...

Quoting the Busy Bee himself: "It's sad that a 19 year old boy had to have this happen to him to wake people up."

I'm awake Jim! Just keep the boy cool...even though we all know he is HOT HOT HOT!!!

SuperShafts
07-11-2008, 05:46 PM
If you can't afford the safety gear, you shouldn't be racing. Finding out the hard way is not the way to go.

On that note let me say.... Sometimes you only get that 1 chance...

Sometimes you don't get lucky as i did and a few others and get the chance to learn from it and then go and actually buy the safety equipment...

I argued with my Father and other Racers and Machinists on many issues and theories, some i was right on, and some i was way off...

This is one issue that i can find faults before they happen...

The hans device was something i thought of and had a crude working han device way back in 1984...
I had always thought... if the car doesn't stop from a mechanical failure and i go sailing off to the end of the track or turn 2 into the trees and the 5 point harness does it's job and keeps my chest and myself in the seat but the wall and trees stop the car in 1" from 160...what happens...

Well i found out thru some figuring that my trusted helmet will kill me by instantly turning into a extremely heavy object and quadrupling x2 it's weight, and will try and remove itself by taking my head with it...
The Dr. that came up with the hans device found out this theory thru watching and using crash testing and made a working piece in 1990 or so.

Keep in mind you don't have to get a 2nd chance, and that is what keeps me from sometimes doing things i would like to when i know i shouldn't....

capitalcity300
07-12-2008, 08:49 AM
[QUOTE=SuperShafts;103981]

The hans device was something i thought of and had a crude working han device way back in 1984...
The Dr. that came up with the hans device found out this theory thru watching and using crash testing and made a working piece in 1990 or so.QUOTE]

During the early 90's, Kyle Petty was testing and using an hans like neck restaint (it used cable system) device while racing the #42 Mello Yello sponsor Pontiac in NASCAR races.
I don't know the name of doctor involved with this project???
I thought he was killed in an racecar or car accident???
Maybe this was an General Motors - NASCAR Project???

Remember using the bowling alley's bowling ball and bowling shoes and turn them back in to the owner after you finished your bowling games.
How about Richard Petty Driviing School come to the local tracks and drivers borrowing or renting their race helmets, nomex underwear, nomex socks, nomex race suits, and nomex race shoes and turned back in after (demo)races.

SuperShafts
07-12-2008, 10:45 AM
During the early 90's, Kyle Petty was testing and using an hans like neck restaint (it used cable system) device while racing the #42 Mello Yello sponsor Pontiac in NASCAR races.
I don't know the name of doctor involved with this project???
I thought he was killed in an racecar or car accident???
Maybe this was an General Motors - NASCAR Project???

Remember using the bowling alley's bowling ball and bowling shoes and turn them back in to the owner after you finished your bowling games.
How about Richard Petty Driviing School come to the local tracks and drivers borrowing or renting their race helmets, nomex underwear, nomex socks, nomex race suits, and nomex race shoes and turned back in after (demo)races.

Having a rental of safety equipment at the track is an idea ...

Dr. Robert Hubbard was the inventor of the hans device, he was a bio mechanical doctor involved in crash testing... He invented it for road racing and primarily in IMSA back in the late 80's early 90's.

The reason the hans device is here is really not from Dr. Hubbard, but because of the IMSA racer Jim Downing, Jim as i seen a issue with what happens with the head when the car comes to a forced full stop accident, he, Jim is Dr.Hubbard's brother-in-law... Hubbard researched his theory and they came up with the han devices used today.

I also don't like the extreme laid back seats, as i believe it leaves the heart to much room for downtravel and can seperate the aorta