PDA

View Full Version : Update on Jimmy White Jr.

EricaR
07-10-2008, 02:22 PM
Hi all,
I just spoke to both Jimmy and his father, and Dad asked me to let everyone know what is going on. Jimmy has 2nd degree burns over much of his body. Thankfully, he was smart enough to take one deep breath, and close his shield on his helmet before climbing out of his car, and then was quick to roll to extinguish the flames. The doctors say that because of his thinking, he saved his eyes and lungs from any serious damage.

He was sedated today and given a body scrub, and will recieve skin grafts later this coming week. He is expected to be in the Stoney Brook Hospital for 3-4 weeks, and then endure weeks of physical therapy.

Jimmy is in good spirits and is amazing his PT's and his doctors with his amazing will-power in what is sheer agonizing procedures. He is making his normal wise crack remarks and making jokes, just trying to take things day by day.

Dad also told me that all of the negative remarks about Jimmy not using a firesuit is upsetting him, as it was Jimmy's decision not to wear one. It was in the trailer at the track, Jimmy didn't want to wear it....things happen unexpectedly. I'm sure that we are all guilty of not wearing a seatbelt 100% of the time, some of us even decide not to wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle on the roads. So please remember that we have a fellow racer here who is in tremendous pain, and who needs our thoughts and prayers for these next few weeks. Voicing our opinions about what he should/shouldn't have done does not change the fact that it happened. Think back to Dale Sr and remember how many drivers including Sr himself would not wear the HANS device because it was uncomfortable...they are now mandatory. Let's hope that Jimmy as well as others who choose not to use one will learn from it, and in the future make sure they are wearing all safety precaution items when they next get into any racecars.

Dad also told me that he prints all of the forum posts and takes them to the hospital to let Jimmy read them, and it makes him feel good to know others are thinking of him...so lets give Jimmy some reading material here guys!! Mountain Speedway style!!! SHOW HIM THE LOVE!!!

As far as from Frank and I...

Jimmy, you know you are in our thoughts and prayers buddy! After talking to you on the phone today and hearing your voice, i got off of the phone and cried. I'm thankful that you will be okay, but I am heartsick that you are going though so much pain right now. I know you are making light of a terrible situation, and I'm so happy to hear that. To hear that you are making jokes about the T-shirts that you want printed...BTW, I better get one! I always thought you were a hottie!!! Now I know it for sure! Hey, next time, take marshmallows out there with you for a toasty snack. You ate a hoagie during the last enduro at Mountain..think SMORES! Keep your chin up and know that we are thinking of you , and hope to get out there to see you soon!! Love, Frank and Erica Reakes

Geno
07-10-2008, 09:51 PM
Jimmy- First off, glad to hear that you’ll be okay. Not to make jokes, but I know that sort of thing will keep you in good spirits through some really rough stuff.

Like the enduro a few weeks ago, the demo drivers took a short break once half the cars were out of the race. That way you could have had a sandwich and possibly some ice cream to wash it down. Plus it keeps you a little cool!

I know that you have a long road ahead of ya, and you’ve always been diehard. How about rolling that car in the enduro, then finishing out the race with it? Now, there’s one for the history books!

The way you waved to the crowd after your accident on Saturday…that took a ton of strength right there! I’m sure they were ecstatic.

It appears that your father’s message on safety is getting across and in the past, people might have poked fun at the whole stop, drop and roll thing. But you knew what to do to save yourself. Not only a good racer, but a smart one too!

Trust me, freak things happen all of the time. A few years back my great aunt was hanging Christmas lights outside. She slipped on the ice on her sidewalk and fell. She hit her head and went in the house to relax. Later that night she felt funny, so she went to the hospital. She got there, and then passed away. Who would have thought? All I’m saying is that freak things happen and not just to people that drive race cars.

Rest up, take plenty of showers with the cute nurse (draw that out if possible :) ) and you’ll be smokin’ the field in no time. Well, you know what I mean!

Last but not least- if you wanted a ride in a helicopter, all you had to do was ask. I’m sure something could have been worked out!

Very glad to hear that you’re doing well and in good spirits, plus talking racing!

Rest up and keep up with the physical therapy,
Geno:wave:

pv18
07-11-2008, 08:47 AM
I tell this story because in my mind, this is a perfect summary of both Jimmy and how the White family treats people. I am not sure what year this was, but I can tell you that Jimmy was still in High School and definitely did not have a driver's license yet.
The week before I had blew the motor in my uncompetitive Thriller car and was not feeling all that happy with my racing season. During the week my brother Pete convinced me not to stay home and to bring one of the 4cy. Enduro cars out for the Sat. night show at Mountain. The car was outclassed, but by luck I was leading when a mid race caution came out. On the re-start, our dear Jimmy (who I had not yet met) re-started third and nearly turned me around taking the green. Unlike some, Jimmy backed out and I got the car back and life went on. I cannot remember where I finished, but at this point who cares.

The incident on the track was already out of my mind and I was at my trailer loading things up. A very angry looking young man came up to me and said he was sorry for what happened. I had no idea what he was talking about. Sorry about what? He explained what happened and I laughed. By this point I have been wrecked by all sorts of people, even family members, and he was the first to apologize.
We were then just standing around talking about racing, living in NY, and how each of us had issues with dear old Riverhead raceway when an older looking Angry man came up to us. (two real nice guys who just always look mad about something…) He looked at the two of us and said to me, "Did my knucklehead son apologize for driving like a maniac?" We laughed and that was the end of it.

Jim Sr. then asked why I was in the small car this week. I explained what had happened. He looked at me, smiled, and said give me a minute. At midnight 4 hours away from their home in LI, Jim Sr. didn’t hesitate, called back to LI and woke his buddy up who he thought Might have a motor for me. No hesitation, the Whites would help anyone anytime and are some of the best people I ever met in my life...Racing or Non.

Sorry to be long winded, but I am probably thinking about this almost as much as you Jim. Our family was challenged when Pete got hurt and life has never been the same. We hope with time he can too get back in a car, the place he is truly happiest. Jimmy, like Pete, is a great kid that just wants to race. No matter the division, track, or state, give him a shot and he will drive. Both you and Fluffy should be very proud of how your son has grown up. We are all thinking and praying for you guys...Time will heal all wounds. Be strong and lean on your friends, we are here for you.

Pat Verwys

kndgreen
07-11-2008, 11:48 AM
Glad to hear he's doing better, hope you have a speedy recovery.
Kevin Green and family