PDA

View Full Version : Parker Bond

rob
07-13-2008, 06:23 PM
Just read on race new york that he died today RIP.

Captain History
07-13-2008, 06:29 PM
Parker Bohn won the 1953 Wall Modified title and four consecutive Wall Old Sportsman titles from 1965-1968 along with the final year for that class in 1973. Parker won 22 Wall Modified features from 1951-1977.
Parker's son Eddie won the last Wall Modified title in 1992 and ran #54 and #659 Modifieds. Eddie won 12 Wall Modified features from 1982-1992. Eddie also ran dirt Modifieds.
Danny Bohn ran a #659 Modified at Wall too.

Parker's grandson Parker Bohn, III is the nationally-known bowler.

Dwight Clock
07-13-2008, 07:09 PM
I scarcely know where to begin. Parker was a true short track legend in the NJ - NY region. The Parker Bohn - Tom Skinner team was a force to be reckoned with for a couple of decades and they had the respect of everyone. My first memory of Parker Bohn is from 1963. Rene Charland had won the first three modified - sportsman events of the season at Islip and promoter Larry Mendohlson had the #659 come to Islip to see if they could put a halt to the winning ways of Charland in the Smith #3. Parker beat him twice and then went back to NJ to run Wall. He returned a little later in the season and Charland promptly put him in the fence causing Parker to flip down the main straight. A sight I will never forget ensued in the pits afterwards as Parker, Charland, and Bob O'Rourke were all atop the flatbed truck of Tom Skinner with O'Rourke using his substantial girth to keep Parker from ripping Charland apart. Another time at Old Bridge a Novice driver flipped on his side and was rendered unconcious. Despite the driver being at least 180 lbs, Parker jumped on the car, reached down and pulled him out with one hand. Another time at Islip Charlie Jarzombek, frustrated in his inability to pass Bohn, started banging on his rear bumper. Going into turn 3 Parker lined up the exhaust oh his GMC powered car so that when he backed off the flame that always shot out when he lifted would go right through the cockpit of the Charlie J #1J. No more banging ensued after that. Although the car was best suited for bull rings with it's GMC 302 c.i. straight six, it held it's own on the big tracks. Parker had at least one top twenty finish in the annual Trenton 200 on the mile track. Parker was a class guy that raced hard but fairly and always had time for his many fans. He will be sorely missed. RIP Parker and thanks for all the wonderful memories.

RickFigure8
07-13-2008, 08:52 PM
Great stories Dwight. I had heard of Parker but really never knew anything about him.

Rick

randomrodder
07-13-2008, 09:08 PM
RIP Mr. Bohn. Sorry I never had the privledge to see you race.

Thank you very much for the history lesson on what sounds like a very talented short track chauffeur.