PDA

View Full Version : SPENCER SPEEDWAY: Cheetham Takes Modified Win Breaking A Long Winless Streak

RGeeProductions
07-19-2008, 01:04 PM
Terry Cheetham, from Sodus , NY , was finally able to break an eight year winless streak in the NASCAR Weekly Modified division at Spencer Speedway. Last Friday he picked up his first checkered flag in that division since July 28, 2000 .

Cheetham held off the challenges presented to him by both Buck Catalano and Andy Jankowiak. Jankowiak lost the handle and spun to the infield exiting the second turn on lap 29 of the 35 lapper. This put Catalano on Cheetham’s rear bumper for the remaining six circuits.

When asked about the use of the “chrome horn” bumping by the cars behind him, Cheetham responded, “Modified racing is about bumping the car in front of you, And that is the way we like it.”

Following Cheetham and Catalano across the finish line were points leader Jeff Hamman, Tony Hanbury and Phil Wehrheim.

In Street Stock action it was Dan Scott powering his Ford to a second win on the 2008 season in the 20-lapper. His first win of the season came on Memorial Day Weekend. Phil Alhart Jr., Don Stevens, Billy Semmler and Steve Greco rounded out the top five finishers. Alhart Jr’s second place finish kept him in the divisional points lead at the track.

The Super Six division saw a new feature winner. Skip Powers, from nearby Palmyra , NY, took the 20-lap feature win.

“I took nearly three years to build this car as I was in a ‘wait and see’ situation based on the future of this class,” stated Powers. “We even had a driver picked out to drive for us. But I am having too much fun and I guess I won’t turn it over to someone else.”

The start of the 35-lap NASCAR Weekly Modified feature saw Andy Lewis take the early lead, starting form the inside second row. As the leaders were exiting the fourth turn, Steve Malin drifted high, hitting the fourth turn wall. He was hen hit by track points leader Kevin Timmerman, who in turn was hit by Zack Shove. Timmerman limped to the pits, while the other two were towed to the pits, as the race went under the red flag.

When the racing resumed it was Lewis lead the way followed by Matt Lees and Cheetham. Cheetham was able to grab second on lap three and take off after Lewis. Andy Jankowiak was able to take third before the yellow flew, lap eight, when Lees looped around in the second turn.

The restart saw Cheetham take the lead. Two laps later it would be Jankowiak on Cheetham’s rear nerf bar. On lap 12 the yellow came out again when Lewis slide high off the third turn. This moved Buck Catalano into third.

Once under way again Cheetham had a “tag team” on his rear bumper. Constant bumping on Cheetham’s bumper saw Jankowiak and the Catalano taking turns as a battle for second raged. On lap 21 Catalano, who lost second to Jankowiak on lap 18, drifted high exiting the second turn to race side-by-side with Jankowiak. This took some pressure off Cheetham, but only for a lap or two.

Lap 24, saw Jeff Polaski coast to a stop on the front stretch to bring out the yellow again. The battle for the front three spots resumed once the green flag flew. As Jankowiak exited the second turn on the low side of Catalano, his car suddenly jerked towards the inside and began a long slide through the infield grass, causing the yellow to be displayed for the fifth time in the event.

The final six laps saw Catalano bumping the rear of Cheetham’s car, trying to take the lead. Cheetham never wavered and took the win. Catalano came home in second followed by Jeff Hamman, Tony Hanbury and Phil Wehrheim.

“One of our sponsors was in a bad car accident a couple of weeks ago and is not able to be here tonight,” stated Cheetham, who was joined in victory lane by car owner Tom Fecteau . “We wish he was able to be here with us tonight.”

The Street Stocks took to the track for their 20-lap main. The start saw Phil Alhart Jr. hop a wheel on the Mitchell Wright number 25 and get the nose of his car way up in the air, causing the start to be aborted. Wright remained in the pits, but Alhart was able to return.

With the green flag waving, Dan Scott powered his Ford Street Stock into the lead. It took multi-time feature winner, Alhart, only one lap to tag onto the rear of the Scott car. These two built up a seven car advantage over Don Stevens and Billy Semmler.

On lap 15, Alhart ducked low down the front stretch, but could not complete the pass. At the checkers it was Scott followed by Alhart, Stevens, Semmler and Steve Greco.

“About lap three, I pushed the mirror up so I could not see behind me,” commented Scott. “Every five laps I would drop it down and I would see the ‘eyes’ of his car right behind me. I think moving that mirror helped me.”

When asked about how it felt to win, Scott retorted, ”Winning is great and it doesn’t matter how many cars you beat it is just as great.”

The Super Six feature saw nine cars answer the call as the field of cars grows each week. Again the race got off to a shaky start, when Jesse Parks spun between the third and four turns, sending drivers every which way and the yellow flag waving.

Patti Davenport took the early lead with Kris Hillegeer in second. But it would a power move by third place Skip Powers on laps two and three that propelled the new comer into the lead by lap five.

Hillegeer was able to get by Davenport and took up the chase, but fell short as the remainder of the race went green-to-checkers. Powers took his first win of the season followed by Hillegeer, Davenport , Van Grant and Craig Butler. As Powers pulled into victory circle his radiator was showing signs of overheating.

SPENCER SPUTTER: Word around the pits is that Bobby Lippa and Roger Worden will be back in a week or so, helping to beef up the Street Stock field…A moment of silence was given at the start of the program for Daryl Lewis’s brother, who passed away. Daryl Lewis Jr. and Andy Lewis finished one-two for their Uncle Bud’s last race, a week ago week, July 12th…Preparations are underway at the track for the RoC Modified 100 coming to Spencer on August 1.

This Friday, July 25th will see a complete program of NASCAR Weekly Modifieds, plus Super Six and Street Stock action. The racing begins at 7:30 p.m. sharp. It will also be “Kid’s Bicycle Race” night. Kids are encouraged to register by 7 p.m. , with races, broken down into age categories, starting around 7:10 p.m. . Helmets are required to participate in the bicycle races.

Spencer Speedway is located just fifteen minutes east of Rochester , NY , along Route 104 in the Town of Williamson . Spencer Speedway is the local “ NASCAR Place to Race” for upstate New York . Points earned each week at Spencer are counted into the national NASCAR Whelen All-American Series championship.

WHELEN ALL-AMERICAN NIGHT SUMMARY
SUPER SIX
HEAT 1: P. Davenport, J. Parks, V. Grant, P. Cowell.
HEAT 2: S. Powers, C. Butler, K. Hillegeer, K. Butler, J. Bailey.
FEATURE (20-laps): SKIP POWERS, Kris Hillegeer, Patti Davenport, Van Grant, Craig Butler, Keith Butler, Peter Cowell, Joe Bailey, Jesse Parks.

STREET STOCKS
HEAT: D. Scott, D. Stevens, P. Alhart Jr., M. Wright, S. Greco.
FEATURE (20-laps): DAN SCOTT, Phil Alhart Jr., Don Stevens, Billy Semmler, Steve Greco, Mitchell Wright.

NASCAR WEEKLY MODIFIEDS
HEAT 1: T. Hanbury, T. Cheetham, M. Lees, E. Stritzel, B. Catalano.
HEAT 2: J. Polaski, A. Jankowiak, Z. Shove, K. Timmerman, S. Malin.
HEAT 3: J. Hamman, R. Beeman, D. Lewis Jr., A. Lewis, D. Lewis.
FEATURE (35-laps): TERRY CHEETHAM, Buck Catalano, Jeff Hamman, Tony Hanbury, Phil Wehrheim, Daryl Lewis, Eric h Stritzel, Matt Lees, Andy Lewis, Andy Jankowiak, Mark Cline, Tom Fecteau , Jeff Polaski, Daryl Lewis Jr., Ryan Beeman, Steve Malin, Kevin Timmerman, Zack Shove.

Gary M. Spaid