PDA

View Full Version : Civali Suspended For Riverhead Incident

WMT10
08-05-2008, 09:08 PM
Civali Suspended For Riverhead Incident
By Official Release
August 5, 2008 - 4:24pm DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – NASCAR has penalized James Civali, a driver who competes in the NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour, as a result of a rules infraction Saturday at Riverhead Raceway in Riverhead, N.Y.

Civali was found to be in violation of Section 12-4-A (actions detrimental to stock car racing; hitting another competitor’s car during a caution period) of the 2008 NASCAR rule book. The violation occurred during the Aug. 2 race.

As a result, Civali has been suspended from the next two NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour events, suspended from NASCAR until Aug. 15, 2008, and placed on NASCAR probation until Dec. 31, 2008.

Mike Fields
08-05-2008, 10:32 PM
The suspension really doesn't matter, since he was fired from his ride before he even got the car back to the pits, according to Shawn's blog. But since he's suspended from NASCAR until August 15th, that also means no SK Mod at Stafford until then.

Howie
08-05-2008, 11:06 PM
The suspension really doesn't matter, since he was fired from his ride before he even got the car back to the pits, according to Shawn's blog. But since he's suspended from NASCAR until August 15th, that also means no SK Mod at Stafford until then.

Mike, I'm not sure why you say it doesn't matter. It means he can't race another WMT car for the next two races either. I'm not saying there is one available, but if there is, he can't race it. If that were the case, it does matter. The NASCAR suspension does include all other NASCAR divisions. But then, if he's not planning on racing anymore, does it really matter? :confused:

RichKeator
08-05-2008, 11:15 PM
well if you read one of Shawn's newer blogs it says that James is hanging it up... so makes me wonder if the suspesnion even matters...

RichKeator
08-06-2008, 01:11 AM
I have to wonder if James has lost "his fire" does he really even care... thats more of what my last post ment... The ruling NASCAR put out had to happen. Punishment fits the crime, however the 2 race suspension i dont think will matter cause I dont think we'll be seeing him at the track... also keep in mind that Im only going off of what I have been reading in Shawn's Blog

phillie
08-06-2008, 06:38 AM
I wasn't there, but I have to wonder is spinning someone under caution really a 2 race penalty and 4 months of probation?? If that is the case then a bunch of people should be sitting from dumping people under green flag conditions. I am talking throughout the season not the Riverhead race. The few races I have been to I have seen guys knock other people out of the way when they couldn't make a clean pass but that is ok I guess. This is just another inconsistency that plagues Nascar. I also want to say I am far from a James Civali fan but give me a break.

beb
08-06-2008, 07:41 AM
I am sure this is an escalating penalty, I believe if he hadnt just been penalized a few races ago for being a meathead this penalty wouldnt have been as harsh
JMO

Tracy87BB
08-06-2008, 08:55 AM
Actions that take place under caution or after the completion of a race are normally handled differently. Things that happen under racing conditions are always open to interpretation. Was it a racing incident? Did one driver run out of room? Did someone's brakes fail? Was it just an aggressive move that went bad? Did their spotter tell them they were clear? Look on the forums during any given week...any time a car goes around, there's bound to be a debate between people sitting or standing in one location versus those in another location. Under caution or after the race is over...well, there is a lot less room for interpretation.

TMAC
08-06-2008, 12:11 PM
If i am correct with what happened,under CAUTION james civali pushed the heck out of some driver[can't remember the mod#]down the back stretch.He had to have that motor dam near pinned in rpm,causeing him after to go right up in turn 4 wall.I myself thought that was unsafe to do and when Mr King walked by me in turn 4,his look wasn't to thrilled to say the least when entering back into the pits.

Jaws
08-06-2008, 01:29 PM
If i am correct with what happened,under CAUTION james civali pushed the heck out of some driver[can't remember the mod#]down the back stretch.He had to have that motor dam near pinned in rpm,causeing him after to go right up in turn 4 wall.I myself thought that was unsafe to do and when Mr King walked by me in turn 4,his look wasn't to thrilled to say the least when entering back into the pits.

Yes, he was wide open and spun the 93 into the (very small) infield where are the track personel stand. The track announcer commentedit looked like the throttle stuck wide open.

Mike Fields
08-06-2008, 01:49 PM
Howie, part of my comment was because he was immediately fired from the ride by Don King, and partially because he said he was hanging it up as a driver, according to Shawn.

Teds Race Tours
08-06-2008, 02:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ANehAX46zc

Video Footage of the incident.Pretty much tells the story.

RichKeator
08-06-2008, 03:31 PM
now that I've seen whats happend... all I can really say is what the heck was he thinking....did the 93 get into him sending him to the wall?? is that why he nailed him.. while EVERYONE IN THAT PACK was checking up

W. J.
08-06-2008, 04:16 PM
Yep, originally it was thought that his accelerator stuck! Now we know better.

The Bullfather
08-06-2008, 04:28 PM
Better shot then me I had it around the 10 min mark. but I was following other action on the track. I did get him coming up after the spin. http://www.pitstoppitbull.com

Must have been a lot going on behind closed doors!

Teds Race Tours
08-07-2008, 11:10 AM
Yeah, Pete. Sometimes you're just in the right place at the right time.