PDA

View Full Version : Speedway Illustrated Quotes

hollywoodmic
08-12-2008, 10:52 AM
First of all, I want to say JA the magazine is great. I think you have done a great job, thanks for making me get a subscription. Dr. Dick has a gem of a publication there. Now with that said, they just celebrated their 100th issue. In this issue in no particular order they put quotes from drivers, owners, promoters, writers anyone that had contributed to their magazines 100 issues. Some started with a little bit of a back story or a set up to then give the quote. I read some great ones in their, but I have heard a bunch more between, Big Bob O'Rourke, Tom Baldwin, Fred Harbach, and many others. I wont start with all of mine, I'll just give you one Baldwin one and I will add stuff as we go along.

I think it was 1991, we were in Richmond another car owner who will remain nameless came over to ask TB some advice on how to get around RIR. At the time Tommy was running up front on the tour and always ran well at RIR. The car owner told him they just couldn't get the car through the corners. TB folded his arms took one of those deep breaths and said, " there is nothing wrong with this car, it turns, it's fast, has a great motor..... You wanna know what the problem is with that car," the car owner waiting with baiting breath, " the problem is between the seat and the steering wheel, that guy sucks not your car"

Just quotes like that, if you've got some or you've heard of some put them on this post we can have some fun with it.

Like every time it rained like a monsoon at Riverhead and we were in the announcers booth Bob O'Rourke used to call us and say, "It's sunny in Glen Cove" so optimisticly, and he did it every time it rained.

You may have fun ones, sad ones, whatever you want to post I just think it could be some fun, I have plenty I'll keep adding.

randomrodder
08-12-2008, 11:17 AM
The year was approximately 1978. My wife and I were standing jut outside of the pit entrance of Islip Speedway talking with Charlie J. after the evening's racing was over.

My wife looks back into the pits and sees two guys fighting and says.

"Two guys are fighting in the pits"!

Charlie says, "We don't fight at Islip". Then turns around and looks.

He says something to the effect of, "Yipes"! And runs back into the pits and jumps into what has quickly become a mêlée.

My wife and I still get a chuckle over that one. I have no recollection on how or why we went out on the track with Charlie that night.

Hollywood
08-12-2008, 08:55 PM
1998.. when Earnhardt sr. drove the "Peter Max" chevrolet (The ugly yellow and pink car) in the all star race at Charlotte, Steve Park was squeezed by Mark Martin and on the following lap Steve took himself and Martin out between turns one and two....... Earnhardt said....... "That was stupid, he took HIS SELF OUT! " We were listening in on Earnhardt's frequency.... Too Funny, for a car owner....
Forever Earnhardt fans!
:applause::applause::applause: