PDA

View Full Version : Say its not true

bulldozer
08-13-2008, 02:36 PM
I just got word from someone that we lost lou maestris crew chief joe.I hope im wrong joe was an awsome person who ALWAYS had a smile.If this is true he will forever be missed by many people.My thoughts and prayers go out to his whole family and louie.My heart is racing and broken as i write this because joe was a friend to me and many at the track.Love the ones you have and never take a day for granted.You never know what tomorrow will bring.81

Tracy87BB
08-13-2008, 02:47 PM
I have just confirmed that this sad and tragic news is true. Joe passed away this morning after suffering a heart attack. I will post details of the arrangements as soon as they become available.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends, as well as the many people he touched in one way or another in our racing "family".

The Bullfather
08-13-2008, 02:58 PM
NOOOOOOOO aw, man this is such a lost. Joe was a good friend, I always took time out to talk with him. Joe, you are in my heart, Godspeed. My prayers are with his family and Lou and the crew.

randomrodder
08-13-2008, 03:04 PM
My condolences to Joe's family, friends and the racing community at Riverhead. We lost another part of our racing history today.
Godspeed Joe. RIP

RGeeProductions
08-13-2008, 03:32 PM
Joe was a great person. My condolences to his family.
When we raced Chargers about 18 years ago, we had been parked next to Lou and Joe when they raced Late Models. We had gotten very close with them and Joe ended up being a great friend to us as well as help with our set-ups. He will be greatly missed.

maestri fan 1
08-13-2008, 03:38 PM
My dad and me really have no clue what to say....... This hurts like hell and he will be missed by us all.....

Love You Joe

GOD SPEED

wayne
08-13-2008, 05:51 PM
Soooo Damn sad, Joe was a sweetheart. Even though Lou and I are battleing for the points if I had a problem Joe would offer advice or help. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.
Meyer Racing.

99racing
08-13-2008, 06:10 PM
Our thoughts and prayers go out to Joe's family and friends, as well as the many people he touched in one way or another in our racing "family".

God Speed Joe..

Jason,Kim & Kailey Carpenter

Wheel Racing
08-13-2008, 08:13 PM
One of the smartest guys in the pits for years. What a shame. God Speed Joe

Turbo
08-13-2008, 09:48 PM
Definitely a great guy and very sad loss! My condolences to his family and close friends

slice
08-13-2008, 10:16 PM
our condolences to Joe's family and friends. we have all lost a good friend

god speed Joe

Bryan, Joe Sescila

smiley27414
08-13-2008, 11:13 PM
another one gone to early!!!! sorry to joes family and friends. hang in there louie everything will be ok!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RickFigure8
08-13-2008, 11:31 PM
My condolences to Joes family, Lou, your family and crew.

Rick

LaFilms
08-14-2008, 02:06 AM
My sincerest condolences to Joe's family and friends. He will be truely missed.

vsmidge68
08-14-2008, 07:04 AM
Our thoughts and prayers are with Lou and Joes family during this difficult time...

On another note, I wish you guys would start taking care of yourselves as well as you take care of your race cars....This type of tragedy is happenning way too often lately.

From all of us at Flanders Automotive and OC Racing.

RacinRob
08-14-2008, 10:03 AM
My condolences go to Joes family and to Louie. Rest In Peace

Robert Bader 19 Blunderbust

Tracy87BB
08-14-2008, 12:43 PM
I do not have access to the front page of the Jam until I get home from work, so I will temporarily post the arrangements here.

Viewing Friday, August 15th
2 p.m.-5 p.m. and 7 p.m.-9:30 p.m.
Mangano's Funeral Home, Deer Park Avenue, Deer Park
(south of both Northern State and the LIE, on the east side of the road)

Services Saturday, August 16th
11 a.m.
Our Lady of Lourdes, West Islip

Scotty Wolf
08-14-2008, 01:02 PM
What a shame, what a loss, god bless.

Charlie's Angel
08-14-2008, 01:55 PM
I heard about this yesterday and was waiting for it to be posted before I said something. We are truly sadden by this news. We counted Joe among our friends. He will be sorely missed. The smile and hug I was greeted with each time I saw him, I don't have words to express the sadness that I feel at this time. Again.. heaven gets a real good man. Our loss is their gain!

Tracy87BB
08-14-2008, 02:42 PM
The following was sent from Bob Finan.

The news of Joe's passing still has not totally sunk-in yet, but it hit so hard, like somebody hitting you in the gut and you couldn't catch your breath. Joe was among the "old guard" who loved this game to it fullest, but also respected it just as much.

I especially feel for Lou Maestri, they are more like brothers. They worked together for the Town of Babylon, socialized together and of course spent countless hours racing together. As I said earlier Joe was "old school", aside from Lou Maestri I remember his days with Chris Young among others. Joe might have been Lou's crew chief but he also helped anyone who asked or helped them without them asking. Just ask Timmy Solomito who asked us to thank Joe on the P.A. a few races ago, there of course were many, many others who Joe touched.

On behalf of Jeff Bressler, Bill Finan, Steve Halpin and myself, rest in peace Joe, we will miss your soft spoken style and ever present smile, but never forget you.

Bob Finan

Curious Candles
08-14-2008, 05:42 PM
I got the call yesterday morning and am still in shock. I had the honor and pleasure of knowing Joe and his family over 40 years. As anyone who knows the man as he was. A very passionate and devoted person. If Joe pursued anything he was always over the top. If he couldn't figure something out(which was rare!), he would not rest until he got it done. Joe originally started out as a drag racer. He owned an Opel rallye cadet with a 427 big block chevy motor in it. He would light this thing up on his street(with Mom yelling on the front lawn) so much you thought the "bug sprayer" had just past. He started working on cars with a fellow named Ed Fisher at his shop across from now what is Gershow's. Ed now works for G.M. here on Long Island and to this day is still used by Detroit to solve problems for them. Ed is a mechanical genius and Joe sucked up all of Ed's knowledge like a sponge. Joe went to work for the Town and at that point we got into the "roundy rounds". I purchased Charley Puleo's falcon when he retired and Joe was the only choice for a crew chief. We only ran for one season with no success. One of Joe's fondest memories was when I told him to take the car out to see what it was about in a warm up. The green dropped and here comes Chris Young in his magic 49 behind him and starts to pound him thinking its Charlie who at the time was the previous years track champion. When Chris got next to him and realized it was Joe he immediately came over after the warm up to apologize to Joe. They both laughed it off and a new friendship began. Joe's legacy at Islip and Riverhead grew rapidly. To know him you couldn't help but love and admire him. As everybody has said he was the go to guy. He helped everybody with a respect and passion that is rarely found these days. His personal family was small and thats why people have to realize that the race track and the people that fill it was Joe's family. Of course if Lou wasn't racing on Sunday you could go to Joe's house for a homemade Italian meal and a seat on the couch to watch the cup races. As Bob Finan had mentioned Joe was old school. He never used a computer and I would tease him about using his hand as a pyrometer to check the tires when Lou would come off the track. He was a natural. He always knew what was wrong and how to fix it. He could make a dump truck handle on any track he was at. He was that kind of person. I could go on for days about Joe but I think I've got my point across. This is definately a case of the good dying young. I think in honor of Joe we all should try our best to be just like him... Giving...Loving... and always Happy. I'm sure right now he's probably telling Charlie J and Richie E how to set up their cars for the next main! Just remember Lou, Joe will never leave us, he's just in a different dimension. You know you were his first priority and always will be brother. Get that threepete for Joe. We are all behind you no matter what. Love Chrissy and Doug from C C Candle.

maestri fan 1
08-14-2008, 06:43 PM
AMEN Doug and Chrissy!!!!!

furdogg
08-14-2008, 09:33 PM
Our condolences go out to joe's family and to louie.

Chris and Melissa McGuire

smokey 98
08-14-2008, 10:19 PM
Joe, you accepted this awkward hick kid from Riverhead, gave your friendship. You let me hang on Peters Lane in N. Babylon with the older guys, it was like the city to this hick. We sat in the stands at Islip after its final race, lights off, already missing the track. We won races with Chris Young, You should have been his crew chief. Instead, Louie got ya, and in the LM’s and then the trucks you became the crew chief to beat. I was lucky to be up at Riverhead to stand next to you when you won your first title with Louie. TY Joe, for so many good times. I fear it will be a long time before my eyes dry. My best wishes to Joe’s family, Louie and his crew. Godspeed Joe, I love ya man.

Sam Young

Tower Man
08-15-2008, 09:53 AM
I cannot remember a time when Joe wasn't in the pit area. Growing up in Babylon I worked with Lou's Dad. So when Lou started racing I took a liking to him. From the beginning, Joe always said hello to me. Whether I was just another driver, an official or a car owner. Didn't matter to Joe, I was just another person doing what we all love to do, just like Joe.

Life isn't a dress rehearsal. And when you're time is up, there's no looking back. Enjoy each day, each memory and never miss an opportunity to help someone.

Our prayers are out to Joe and his family and anyone Joe has touched.

JTL Enterprises Motorsports LLC
29 - BB
37 Fig 8
20 4/6 Truck Enduro

bearsjd5
08-15-2008, 03:14 PM
We here at Teddy Bear Racing would like to extend our deepest sympathy to
Lou and Joe's families and friends. He will be missed by all.

Jimmy Strup
08-15-2008, 03:33 PM
Words can't express the loss. Knowing Joe for more then 30 years the memories are many. Whether it was at Islip when he helped Chris or later at Riverhead Joe was always there to help. Lou and Joe were great friends on and off the racetrack. More like brothers then friends. We love ya Joe and always will.

The Strup Family:*-(

Tracy87BB
08-15-2008, 04:06 PM
Quite a few people have asked me about putting some sort of tribute together for Joe. Many people have a funny story or two that they would like to share. What I would like to do is ask for anyone who wants to contribute something to email it to me at tchirico@longislandjam.com. I will collect people's tributes/stories/memories for one week, put them together and get the collaboration of them posted late next week or the beginning of the following week.

unowho243
08-15-2008, 05:53 PM
My thoughts and Prayers are with Joe's family as well as Louie and the whole #1 crew he will be missed:(

Hank Kramer
08-16-2008, 11:39 AM
A better crew chief can't be found. Whether with Chris or Lou or anybody else Joe helped everyone. God bless Joe see you in heaven!

h.p.
08-16-2008, 04:51 PM
what a loss to the riverhead raceway family deepest sympathy to joes family and to lou . never forget many years ago at the oakwood inn (across from the track) joe "tyson'n" a guy who just wouldnt take no for an answer .......he will definatly be missed

John Cozza
08-18-2008, 06:35 AM
Our thoughts and prayers are with Joe's family and friends, especially you Lou. Hard to believe another of the Riverhead family has been taken from us at such a young age.

Rest in peace Joe.
John, Janet, and Emily Cozza
Cozza Racing
59 Grand Enduro
5 Truck Enduro

:*-(:*-(:*-(