PDA

View Full Version : I hate to ask the question.....

14SMOKE
08-13-2008, 11:42 PM
I was talking to a couple of people and I was told that the head was sold to a developer and this would be the last year.. can anyone shed light on this, I know we hear it all every year but Im just hoping to god its not true.

thank you
eric

W. J.
08-14-2008, 08:04 AM
Ah, the annual "Riverhead Raceway is for sale" rumor. So easy to start, just on the speculation of one person saying it to another, and then it gets passed along to still others.

Think about what could be done with the property, which has been used as a race track for many, many years. Who wants to pay the remediation costs of cleaning up a property that has been used that long for that type of thing in this day and age of Environmental Impact Studies that must be done.

I'm betting it will be a race track for a bit longer.

14SMOKE
08-14-2008, 08:13 AM
Yeah thats what I was thinking, I did not want to start a rumor just get some clarification from people who might know better then I. I am building a truck for next year and was not too sure if I should continue doing so in fear of the place closing, but with all things I totaly understand what you are saying and truly hope that it will be open for a while longer.

hollywoodmic
08-14-2008, 10:57 AM
Also anything new built on Rt. 58 must be level with the road whoever bought it would have to fill it in from the road back. That's a lot of dirt. It just comes up every year.

randomrodder
08-14-2008, 11:58 AM
Also anything new built on Rt. 58 must be level with the road whoever bought it would have to fill it in from the road back. That's a lot of dirt. It just comes up every year.

And that fill needs to be clean and sit there for a Long time to settle before any work can even be started. And, as stated before they have to contend with the EPA and DEC first and the contaminated soil will have to be removed first, another very costly measure.

And before it's mentioned by anyone else. Prior to the removal of the contaminated dirt, the asphalt and concrete will have to be removed and taken to a recycling plant.

catfish
08-14-2008, 03:49 PM
Thirdly the part that is also important is they only own up to the entrance road so the property is really to narrow for much of anything as EVERYONE now wants and has to have roadside frontage not be a 1/4 mile back next to the RR tracks. So really what you would end up with after parking is a 75ft deep but 1000ft wide Storefront, and that won't fly with most retailers

LongIslandJam
08-14-2008, 07:52 PM
I went directly to the source. Bob Finan has informed me that Riverhead is already planning for 2009. So, expect the track to be around next year (and most likely even longer).

SuperShafts
08-14-2008, 08:16 PM
And that fill needs to be clean and sit there for a Long time to settle before any work can even be started. And, as stated before they have to contend with the EPA and DEC first and the contaminated soil will have to be removed first, another very costly measure.

And before it's mentioned by anyone else. Prior to the removal of the contaminated dirt, the asphalt and concrete will have to be removed and taken to a recycling plant.

I know 1st hand of several NEW upscale neighborhoods built in Riverhead....

That #1, have used much fill
#2 was anything but not contaminated
#3 i can't believe it hasn't been discovered already and or someone hasn't put in a inground pool and were amazed at what was dug up....

That's not the 1st time such activities have taken place on this island.

The dec and epa aren't as great as you might think

14SMOKE
08-14-2008, 10:07 PM
I went directly to the source. Bob Finan has informed me that Riverhead is already planning for 2009. So, expect the track to be around next year (and most likely even longer).

Well thank god for small favors, thats great to hear so im gonna keep pluggin along getting the truck ready for 09

Teds Race Tours
08-14-2008, 10:46 PM
I heard a rumor the track is going to be there another 50 years. :cheers:

14SMOKE
08-15-2008, 12:06 AM
I heard a rumor the track is going to be there another 50 years. :cheers:

Sweet hampton now thats a rumor worth being the truth!!

randomrodder
08-15-2008, 12:23 AM
I know 1st hand of several NEW upscale neighborhoods built in Riverhead....

That #1, have used much fill
#2 was anything but not contaminated
#3 i can't believe it hasn't been discovered already and or someone hasn't put in a inground pool and were amazed at what was dug up....

That's not the 1st time such activities have taken place on this island.

The dec and epa aren't as great as you might think

Yeah, ok Marty. I only spent 20 years in the concrete supply industry overseeing major LI projects. But as always, you are right.