PDA

View Full Version : Tire Question

KickItUp
08-18-2008, 06:16 PM
Isn't the top 12 or 15 in points suppsed to start on stickers? Isn't that the rule? If it is the rule, and I thought it was, why were there only like 9 cars starting on stickers, and the rest of scuffs? It is not really fair that some of the guys in the top 10 in points have to spend the money to buy stickers each week in order to race, yet others in the top 10 don't have to.. How is that fair? The last 2 weeks, the 6 car was one I spotted not starting on stickers.. If I am not mistaken, he is in the top 10 no less..

Has anyone else picked up on this?

W. J.
08-18-2008, 07:00 PM
I believe the 'start on stickers' rule has been replaced by a tire impound.

nflobster
08-18-2008, 09:01 PM
i will call it wait and see. but on another note if you thought the features were boring because as someone put it "the cars are equal" then the heats will be a real sleeper because who wants to run their tires to death in the heats?
hmmmmmm:-| third change this year with the procedure.
1. no rule
2. impound
3. impound some

and soon next season begins as this one winds down.

Tracy87BB
08-18-2008, 09:56 PM
From the original handout distributed at the track to all Modified drivers on July 12:

1. Top 15 in points must start the main on new sticker tires.

These tires will be purchased and mounted at the Raceway the day of the race.

Exceptions to this rule will be entertained on a case by case basis and may be granted at the discretion of officials.

There has not been a third change in procedure.

jeffrey
08-18-2008, 10:01 PM
what can you do about the tire issue.every track is going threw it.not just Riverhead.you have guys that can put new tires on every week and some that cant.whats fair.not everyone can buy 4 sets of tires like the 98 mod can.its the low buck guy thats really getting hurt here.and this is why allot of tracks not just Riverhead is loosing cars.shouldn't make these drivers buy new tires every week.but it looks like no one has answer to this tire issue that all tracks are going threw.

W. J.
08-18-2008, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the clarification Tracy. I guess I misinterpreted what was going on, and I stand corrected.

Turn2Guru
08-18-2008, 10:35 PM
The #6 had to give up starting spots at the begining of the race for not being able to buy four new tires. He started 11th behind Bill Park who started ninth. The #6 team along with many others in the pits this season are underfunded and doing what they can to keep racing. As far as handicapping the last three weeks, using Bill Park as an example only because he is the point leader therefore must have earned the most points or close, 77 lap feature July 19th, Bill finished 2nd, Tommy 17th, July 26th, Bill Park 6th, Tommy 11th, Aug. 9th, Bill 3rd, Tommy 4th. Now I guess I am the only one who figured it out that as far as handicapping goes Tommy should have been well in front of Bill in Saturday nights feature, not two spots behind him. The reason, Tommy had to run on old tires. If anyone thinks this is an advantage I welcome you to not buy tires and start in front of the non qualifiers too. Everyone is so fast to yell foul that they seem to miss the obvious. Noone is trying to get away with anything here people, sponsors promised money and didn't deliver, Poop happens. His tires are checked as often as everyone elses if not more, and believe me the last person to get any favoritism at this track would be the #6, one of the few with the nuts to call a spade a spade. Tommy is a good hard driver with alot of talent, just in need of a good sponsor. I applaude the whole #6 team for still showing up when you are definately handicapped with the tire deal. Alot of teams would just stay home. Not once has Tommy cried about starting further back for running on old tires, a rule is a rule and that is what we have. If some other teams didn't have money to buy four tires one week and had to start in the back, this board would be on fire with how unfair the ruling is. Haven't heard a peep from the #6, they just wanna race.

nflobster
08-19-2008, 06:42 AM
Isn't the top 12 or 15 in points suppsed to start on stickers? Isn't that the rule? If it is the rule, and I thought it was, why were there only like 9 cars starting on stickers, and the rest of scuffs? It is not really fair that some of the guys in the top 10 in points have to spend the money to buy stickers each week in order to race, yet others in the top 10 don't have to.. How is that fair? The last 2 weeks, the 6 car was one I spotted not starting on stickers.. If I am not mistaken, he is in the top 10 no less..

Has anyone else picked up on this?

also if you noticed that one of those 9 sets in impound was for marrissa

Fkraft99
08-19-2008, 09:23 AM
turn2guru is correct tommy had to give up his handicapped starting position to use older tires. not only did he start behind billy, but he also started behind chuck, the previous weeks winner.

and if im not mistaken, i do believe i saw tommys crew in impound after the race breaking those tires down to be checked by nascar officials.

Tracy87BB
08-19-2008, 11:50 AM
Yes, Fkraft99, you are absolutely right. I saw that as well.

briggs34
08-19-2008, 12:42 PM
forcing everyon to buy 4 tires is not a good idea. they will definitely lose cars in the end. they need to figure a way to get this done. not everyone can afford 4 every week. comeon guys, get this figured out!

Tower Man
08-19-2008, 04:07 PM
Some tracks, series and classes actually LIMIT the number of tires purchased for competition, therefore, regardless of budget, all teams are on the same page in the tire department.

A rule forcing the top 10 or whatever to purchase 4 tires weekly could hamper even a medium budgeted team. And cause some to stay home if they cannot afford stickers.

DIRT
08-19-2008, 05:52 PM
.......let them run whatever they want whenever they want. That's a level playing field.
Oh yeah one other thing................let them soak the snot of them too. Some teams are soaking now, some aren't. Some teams can afford to buy stickers every week, some can't. Those that can't buy stickers are penalized by having to start further back, and here's the kicker------the teams that say they can't afford stickers are running soaked scuffs anyway..........like it or not!

So in short,enough of the banter and the finger pointing! Open up the rule and let them run whatever they want. There's your level playing field which leaves zero point zero room for any cry babies,sore losers and chumps. It also gives the team who "can't afford" stickers a legitimate shot without being penalized.

Whattaya think?

catfish
08-19-2008, 09:01 PM
Save alot of time and trouble as well, No impound, No breakdown after the race, No sniffers, No durometers. Seems like the easier way to go, because it seems every year they come up with better less detectable juice.Ah there was nothing like using "BALLZ" on Friday nite and getting a 2 day contact high with 8 wrapped in sheets and bags.

BOWATCHER
08-19-2008, 10:39 PM
I agree with the last 2 guys comments. Lets bring back 2 groove racing again. It would cost the track less money by not having tire tech guys.Let the racer alone he hardly has any freedom anymore. 2 groove racing in every division would be fun too watch again. JMO

catfish
08-20-2008, 10:30 AM
Also the "softener" they use now is so much better then he softener back in the day, you were pretty much guaranteed to barely get a feature and maybe the following weeks heat race, now i understand they prolong the the wear of the tire while still softening it, which would help the lower buck teams save $ and maybe bring some back. Not to mention as Bo stated 2 groove racing!!!!!!!

Hollywood
08-20-2008, 02:45 PM
Everyone is forgetting one thing...... Riverhead is a NASCAR sanctioned track, therefore everyone is supposed to follow the NASCAR rule book.... It's not that easy to just say "go ahead and soak." If Daytona found out about it they might not be very happy.
PS
If the track wasn't sanctioned by NASCAR you might have more mods there every week. The costs of the engines alone is detrimental to the modified division. Other modified tracks let you use steel heads and other components that NASCAR does not let you use. A good steel head engine is $12,000.00 new. A new 18* aluminum head engine is going to cost you 30,000. "He who has the most money, goes the fastest." Simple as that.

catfish
08-20-2008, 04:25 PM
I may be wrong but policing tires is up to the track and I do not believe there is anything in the rule book about it, although I may be wrong(and I have been before and will be again) Again allowing soaking is JMHO.

Tower Man
08-20-2008, 04:30 PM
Not only is it in the Riverhead Rulebook, it's also in the NASCAR Rulebook.

jeffrey
08-20-2008, 08:02 PM
didn't we talk about soaking the tires in the beginning of the year here.Its not going to happen.first I believe the track gets money for every tire they sell.and if they do they would lose allot of money at the end of the year for letting the drivers soak there tires.and no one is going to put there hands in there pockets.and there where drivers soaking in the beginning of the year and ts haulers was *****ing because he was getting stuck with allot of tires .thats why they came out with that the top 12 had to start the main on stickers.so aid it up 4 times 12 thats 48 tires a Saturday night.how much is a mod tire.id dont now.but times that by 48.thats allot of money.so again ill say it all comes down to the money.Riverhead has not tried that i know of to try to keep the cost down for these drivers.it just looks like its costing more and more to race there.and thats why allot of cars are sitting. and i believe the drivers had a meeting about the tire issue and they agreed to the top 12 in points had to start on stickers.because there where drivers *****ing about other drivers soaking there tires. so there will be no soaking tires.

W. J.
08-20-2008, 08:37 PM
From the little I know about soaking tires, one thing puzzles me: the solution they are soaked in is expensive, I've heard something like as high as $200 for a gallon, so where is the savings? I don't know how far a gallon goes (like, how many tires it will 'treat'), but it would be just another added expense. I thought the idea was to try to save people money?

jeffrey
08-20-2008, 08:53 PM
it would still be cheaper then what they are spending now for a new set of tires every week.drivers wouldn't have to buy a new set every week.you would just soak them.and if you can make your own softener its even better.200 is better then lets say 5 or 6 hundred a week i think.