PDA

View Full Version : Hanbury Motorsports September Newsletter

RGeeProductions
09-01-2008, 06:40 PM
AUGUST REWIND

1ST – At Spencer on this night Tony was a busy driver as he did double duty. In the Wilson / Resus NASCAR Modified Tony finished second in his heat which placed him fifth come feature time in the starting lineup.

In the 35 lap feature Tony running an underpowered car on this night moved quickly into third by lap 3 and took second on a lap 4 restart. After being passed for second late in the race Tony hung on to a fine third place finish as he nipped Buck Catalano at the line.

“ Yea the car was under powered tonight as I had the throttle buried halfway through the corners. That is why I could stay with the guys when they got outside of me in the corners as I didn’t have to lift. Going down the straights is where I had a big problem. But the most important item from tonight is another top three finish that helps me not only in track points but also in points nationally. “

Tony raced his Modified in the Race of Champions Dart Asphalt Modified Tour event on this night. Tony finished second to Jan Leaty in the heat race and redrew sixth place starting spot in the feature.

At that start of the feature a big jam up caused by the outside pole sitter entering turn one almost stacked up the entire outside row. Tony lost many positions at that point but recovered to be running comfortably in the top ten during the early portions of the 100 lapper.

A little past the quarter mark of the feature on a restart Tony started to experience some problems with how the car was reacting. Tony pitted thinking the pan hard bar in the rear end was broke. The crew looked it all over and said everything looked good and sent Tony back out. The problem worsened and Tony was fighting the car every time he wanted to turn it. On lap 56 Tony spun the car out in the middle of the back straightaway due to the problem. He was hooked up by a wrecker into the infield pit stall ending his night in 18th position.

“ There is definitely something wrong as every time I wanted it to turn left the car would bolt to the right. It was disappointing as this car has been so good here when we raced it here this year. We’ll look at during the week and see if we can find the problem and get it ironed out for the next RoC show at Chemung on the 17th. “

2nd – Twin 25 lap features were on tap on this night at Chemung. Being these races are basically a sprint race compared to the weekly 40 lappers. Tony knew that you had to take your time and not abuse your equipment to come up with good finishes.

The first feature saw Tony starting 11th and with only 25 laps to work with he ended up fourth. Tony started the second feature in third and this feature was more of his liking as he got the lead on lap two from Josh Philpot and the rest was history as Tony went on to his seventh Chemung, 10th NASCAR Modified, and 11th overall feature win of the year.

9th – A 75 lap feature was on tap on this night at Chemung. Tony started 12th and moved quickly to the front however got into turn 3 a little too hot and made contact to spin out another competitor. Tony restarted at the rear and worked his way to a third place finish at the end.

“ It was another good points night “ said the frustrated driver afterwards. “ I’ll admit that I spun Bobby Osgood out, not on purpose either just that I got into the corner too hot. The problem we’re having is that we’re the fastest car here but having a rougher time each week getting too the front without being involved in an incident. “

15th – A special 75 lap feature was on tap tonight at Spencer and the tight point race got even tighter after the feature was completed. Tony ended up a strong third on this night which moved him into second in the track point standings and only four points out of first.

“ Tonight was the best the car has felt all year long “ said Tony. “ What a huge difference two new rear tires makes on this car as tonight you could really tell the difference. Only three point shows left and we’re right in the hunt for the Championship. “

17th – Chemung held special Sunday afternoon show which saw Tony do double duty. In the RoC Modifieds Tony won his heat with ease and redrew third for the feature. Tony missed a shift early in the feature but came right back on the outside as he took the lead on lap 50. Tony never pitted thinking he had enough tire left to win it but unfortunately the tire gave up and Tony led until lap 116 and slipped back to finish ninth.

“ I should have pitted “ said Tony. “ After I missed the gear I came right back and raced hard to get the lead and the tires felt good. But that is how things go at times but at least we brought the car home in one piece and got a top ten out of it, I’m happy.

In the NASCAR Modifieds Tony finished third in his heat and started seventh in the feature. With only 12 cars in the feature some drivers acted like there were 112 as plenty of unnecessary banging and bumping took place. Tony was involved in a lap three accident where he was stopped to avoid it but was pushed into the pileup by another competitor. Tony pitted and got the car repaired as best as they could. On the next restart Tony barely avoided another big accident. He pitted once again during the delay to clean up the wreck to work on the car more from the first wreck. Tony returned to finish third.

“ It was another one of those features of late where I can’t get a break “ said Tony afterwards. “ I was stopped for the first wreck and got pushed hard into it and I was lucky I had good brakes to miss the second one. But there was enough damage from the first one that the tow in was off and that was enough to hurt us for the remainder of the race. Overall another good point night for us. “

22nd – Spencer. The extremely tight NASCAR Modified point battle continued to get even tighter after the races on this night. Tony ended up with a fourth place finish.

“ It was another good points night for us “ said Tony. “ Now it all comes down to the final 2 weeks and we’re only 2 points from the lead so every position in the heat and feature counts. “

23rd – Chemung saw Tony start in eighth in the feature and end up second as he followed Zack Truesdail across the line.

“ I’m happy to see Zack win his first “ said Tony. “ The kid has worked very hard through the years and it was good to see him win. I wish it would have been on a different night as I would have loved to get back into winners circle but we’ll wait until next week. “

29th – Spencer saw their next to last race of the year take place. Tony Hanbury driving the Resus / Wilson co – owned NASCAR Modified took the lead in the 35 lap NASCAR Modified feature on lap 5. Tony held the lead for the next 5 laps until being passed for the lead. Tony ended up finishing 3rd in the feature and this enabled him to move up one position in the track NASCAR Modified point standings. Going into the final race of the year this upcoming Friday night Tony is only ten points out of the lead which is held by veteran Buck Catalano. Tony is looking for that elusive double track championship in the NASCAR Modified division.

“ It was another good night on Friday with a third and that helped us move up one spot in the points “ said Tony. “ We ran used tires all night long and they’re ok after a restart but a few laps into a green flag the tires give up. Buck is going to be real hard to beat for the title next week but we’re going to give it our best shot. “

30th – Chemung saw Tony Hanbury get back into victory lane with a very dominating performance. Tony started third and immediately bolted to the lead by the end of the first lap and was never headed after that. The win was Tony’s 11th NASCAR Modified win of the year and 12th overall and the win was number eight at Chemung in 2008.

“ It was nice getting back into victory lane at Chemung “ said Tony. “ The car was a little bit off in the stagger department and we were still fast. It’s nice to get the good finishes that we’ve been getting here lately but there is nothing like a feature win. The win also will help me move up in the National NASCAR points and although I don’t have a chance at getting into the money positions with those points it would be nice to finish in the top 15 in the nation as that would be quite an accomplishment for sure. “

31st – Tony competed at the Wyoming County International Raceway in Perry, NY with his dad’s car for a 100 lap SST Modified Tour show. Tony led some laps in the feature and ended up in second at the end.

“ It was a good day for us, we had some fun as there was no pressure racing for points on this day “ said Tony. “ If I were to put four new tires on the car for the feature we could have given the kid ( Erick Rudolph ) a run for his money. “

OVERALL SEASON STATS

36 starts, 12 wins, ( 4 ) 2nd, ( 7 ) 3rd, ( 4 ) 4th, a 6th, a 7th, ( 2 ) 9th, a 10th, a 12th, ( 2 ) 13th, ( 2 ) 18th, a 22nd , 26 top 5’s, 31 top 10’s, 5 DNF’s.

SEPTEMBER RACING SCHEDULE *schedule subject to change depending on weather and makeup races

5th – Spencer final points night 35 lap NASCAR Modified Feature and 30 lap Touring Modified feature.
6th – Chemung Twin 25 lap NASCAR Modified features.
13th – Chemung final points night, double points, 40 lap NASCAR Modified Feature.
19th – Oswego 58th Sunoco Race of Champions SST Modifieds 100 lap feature.
20th – Oswego 58th Sunoco Race of Champions 200 lap Modified feature.
27th & 28th – Dunn Tire Raceway Park US Open. TBA for car being driven.

JR’S MOTORSPORTS MEDIA
[edited by RGee to fit forum size]