PDA

View Full Version : Thompson and Waterford team up!!

ThE sHaDoW
09-02-2008, 01:45 PM
From the Speedbowl website:

For Thompson Fans:
Fans showing a ticket stub from this weekend's Modified Mania at Thompson Speedway will be admitted to the Speedowl Saturday night for $10.

Only 45 mins down the road. Where's the LongIsland Madman? He's gotta be all over this.

Here's what you're getting for $10:

Double Down Resumes; Plus Legends, X-Cars
The SK-Modifieds will be counting by twos Saturday night at Waterford Speedbowl. One guy may wind up counting by fives when the Double Down Shootout presented by Mohegan Sun, cut short last week by fog, resumes.

Both 25-lap SK-features are on the schedule amounting to a double dose of points. The $5,000 “sweep” bonus remains in affect as well. Winning both SK features is worth a cool five grand. To do that the first-feature winner must come from the last starting spot in the second.

The second features for Late Models (25 laps), Sportsman (15) and Mini Stocks are also on the schedule. A 25-lap Legends feature and a command performance by the Wild n’ Wacky Wednesday X-Cars increase the excitement. Feature racing begins at 6 pm.

Rain checks from Aug. 30 will be honored. Regular Saturday night prices will prevail for others.

Should a SK “sweep” occur, five adults will get away with $1,000 apiece. Fans can sign up for that right inside the gate.

Race director Steve Harraka has also announced that points will be awarded for Saturday’s Late Model, Sportsman and Mini Stock (15) features. Last week’s winners – Bruce Thomas Jr. (Late Model), Walt Hovey (Sportsman) and Randy Churchill (Mini Stock) – will be starting last in their respective races.

Dennis Gada takes a 32-point edge on Keith Rocco into the SK action where a seven-way battle for a coveted top-five spot in the final standings rages. Rob Janovic Jr., Jeffrey Paul, Ron Yuhas Jr., Tyler Chadwick and Jeff Pearl are all involved. All are among the 10 different SK winners this season.

The point standings in the other NASCAR Whelen All American Series hardly reflect the record competitiveness the Speedbowl has enjoyed this year. There have been 40 “Saturday night” winners and the battle for top-five point spots is actually nine deep in the Sportsman group.

Hoping to add to their leads with be Thomas, Al Stone III (Sportsman) and Ken Cassidy Jr., the latter 36 ahead of Churchill.

The Legends struggle is the exception. Shaun Buffington takes a slim six-point edge on defending champ Michael Gervais into Saturday action. Jason Palmer is 18 behind.

Led by champion Brad Voglesong and runner-up Patrick Williams lead the X-Cars which have never failed to respond favorably to Saturday night opportunities. Other contenders include Steve Violette, John Bowes, Richard Hume and Michael Trask.

Goldy
09-03-2008, 11:50 AM
Now that’s refreshing..

RichKeator
09-03-2008, 06:20 PM
I tell you guys something... if you lookat Howies pics from "FOGBOWL 2008" the first 3 races of the double down before the fog rolled in were some of the best races Ive seen all year... Sportman race was closer that the Mod tour finish at New Hampsire that had us all :mad:

SIModified
09-06-2008, 01:15 AM
I've got to add my thoughts here....

I hadn't been to the Speedbowl in nearly 20 years since I raced a Pro4 modified. But, I made an appearance last Saturday night compliments of an invitation from Late Model driver and friend, Tim Jordan.

I was really impressed with the competiton level and was looking forward to the double SK features before the fog rolled in. Those who know me, know I despise SK Modifieds but after seeing Tim run nearly the whole Late Model event side by side with the eventual race winner (sorry, his name escapes me right now) gave me hope that the double SK features might have been worth the 13+ hour drive up from Charlotte.

I met up with Fran in the grandstands and even he commented how it was a "Mini Tour Night" with Myself, Fran, Howie, Ben Dodge, Eddie Flemke, Jr., Doug Coby, Chris Pasteryak, Shadow, Crowley, Jen and a few more tour faces in attendence. Seekonk's True Value event was rained out, so surely that helped things.

After the fog out. some of us went to dinner and discussed possible solutions and with the tour at Thompson this weekend, any true diehard modified fan would make a 45 minute trip south to catch a Saturday night nightcap.

Kudos to Thompson and Waterford working together to make this happen....Let's just hope the rains stays away!

Axel
09-06-2008, 09:54 AM
I agree Charli-- Waterford is one of my favorite tracks. I wish I got there more often. I've never seen a bad race there.

ThE sHaDoW
09-06-2008, 11:14 AM
I agree Charli-- Waterford is one of my favorite tracks. I wish I got there more often. I've never seen a bad race there.

Waterford has canceled this evenings events.