PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Weather

wally28
09-04-2008, 09:37 AM
Not looking good at all!

catfish
09-04-2008, 09:42 AM
And that may be understating it !!!!!!!!!!!!

holleratme
09-04-2008, 11:32 AM
look likes it will be back to back thompsons at the end of year, camping for a week.

hollywoodmic
09-05-2008, 10:21 AM
Any update, I would hate to make the three hour drive to sit in the rain. Perhaps a promoter may do the right thing for once instead of making us drive all the way up there. We'll see.

CynthiaTork
09-05-2008, 10:30 AM
Of course "all systems are still a GO". If it rains out....

140 cars x 5 people per car x $60 = $42,000.

I'd open the gates too.

ThE sHaDoW
09-05-2008, 11:08 AM
11:30 am - Thursday, September 4th
All systems are a GO for this weekend's events.
Any changes to the schedule due to weather will be posted on this site immediately.

interesting, no update in almost 24 hours

RGeeProductions
09-05-2008, 11:33 AM
But it also says
"Any changes to the schedule due to weather will be posted on this site immediately."
SOOO, that means no changes!!!!
The jet stream shows a BIG loop through the center of the US (http://www.wunderground.com/US/Region/Midwest/2xpxJetStream.html) moving eastward. This MAY push all out to the ocean!!!
LET'S HOPE!!!!

Tooner
09-05-2008, 11:57 AM
That's the spirit Richie!:cheers:

RGeeProductions
09-05-2008, 11:59 AM
Well Hampton Jitney has windshield wipers anyways!!!!
And Mike, are you coming up? We MUST meet!!

Howie
09-05-2008, 01:12 PM
Thompson's web site has been updated and now says -

1:30 pm - Friday, September 5th
Any changes to the schedule due to weather will be posted on this site immediately.

Thompson's web site http://www.thompsonspeedway.com/

ThE sHaDoW
09-05-2008, 01:41 PM
But it also says
"Any changes to the schedule due to weather will be posted on this site immediately."
SOOO, that means no changes!!!!
The jet stream shows a BIG loop through the center of the US (http://www.wunderground.com/US/Region/Midwest/2xpxJetStream.html) moving eastward. This MAY push all out to the ocean!!!
LET'S HOPE!!!!

One slight problem with those thoughts.

TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 315 MILES...510 KM
FROM THE CENTER.

This thing is over 600 miles wide, just the wind field. From my house to Thompson is 250 miles and I live in Jersey. This thing is huge.

Axel
09-05-2008, 02:44 PM
The National Weather Service isnt sayin', they're just sayin...

randomrodder
09-05-2008, 02:53 PM
The only job in the world where you can be wrong so often and still keep your job and make great bucks...............Weatherperson. Or should I say, Meteorologist?

ThE sHaDoW
09-05-2008, 03:46 PM
The only job in the world where you can be wrong so often and still keep your job and make great bucks...............Weatherperson. Or should I say, Meteorologist?

that statement is not as true as you might like to believe. it's an old joke, and they are right more than people give them credit for. they cannot control the forces in nature, they just report what should happen based on past experience, and what the computer believes to be the best probability. you want someone who is overpaid and is only right 1 in 3 times? try baseball.

holleratme
09-05-2008, 06:39 PM
rir cancelled till sunday

randomrodder
09-05-2008, 06:42 PM
that statement is not as true as you might like to believe. it's an old joke, and they are right more than people give them credit for. they cannot control the forces in nature, they just report what should happen based on past experience, and what the computer believes to be the best probability. you want someone who is overpaid and is only right 1 in 3 times? try baseball.

Geez, lighten up dude, some people take things too seriously.

ThE sHaDoW
09-05-2008, 07:44 PM
I think you took me as being serious. After reading all week about rain coming, then hearing on 3 different message boards that weather men get it wrong more than they get it right, I figured it was time to defend them. Maybe you are the one who needs to lighten up and not "read" more into my post than you did? if you are referring to my baseball comment, that was truth, and the way I feel about the sport. you don't have to like my opinion, you just have to respect my right to have one.

Precision Auto
09-05-2008, 08:43 PM
I think you took me as being serious. After reading all week about rain coming, then hearing on 3 different message boards that weather men get it wrong more than they get it right, I figured it was time to defend them. Maybe you are the one who needs to lighten up and not "read" more into my post than you did? if you are referring to my baseball comment, that was truth, and the way I feel about the sport. you don't have to like my opinion, you just have to respect my right to have one.

To: ThE sHaDoW: Long overdue to tell you that both Norm and I love your "best friend test".....it's priceless.........Linda and Norm, Precision Automotive, Inc. :cheers:

ThE sHaDoW
09-05-2008, 09:01 PM
To: ThE sHaDoW: Long overdue to tell you that both Norm and I love your "best friend test".....it's priceless.........Linda and Norm, Precision Automotive, Inc. :cheers:

it's funny you say that today of all days, you are the second person to tell me today that it made them laugh. my wife does not!! share our sense of humor at all. I still laugh when I read it.

Teds Race Tours
09-05-2008, 09:29 PM
it's funny you say that today of all days, you are the second person to tell me today that it made them laugh. my wife does not!! share our sense of humor at all. I still laugh when I read it.

JBax doesn't find it humorous at all, but I chuckle everytime I read it.

randomrodder
09-05-2008, 09:34 PM

I respect your right to have an opinion. Now concerning weather people. I have check the weather reports and it doesn't look bad this weekend. Not more then 20 minutes ago I received a call from LIPA because I am on O2 24/7. They wanted to give me an emergency number to call in the event we lose our electric this weekend. Do they know something we don't? I don't know, even though I have a phone number on file, I have never gotten a call from LIPA concerning any upcoming rainfall, ever. They are calling all customers with disabilities. And, though I respect your opinion, I stand on my original opinion. Seems more often then not they cause a panic that fills supermarkets. A 2 inch snow fall is always a threat of a blizzard. There is drama in everything today.

The Bullfather
09-05-2008, 09:37 PM
dolla dolla dolla..... mo money! lol More money in other's pockets more money in my pocket!

rabbid1
09-05-2008, 10:14 PM
I sold a lot of milk today. lol

CynthiaTork
09-05-2008, 11:30 PM

I'm the other one who loved it. I think it's hilarious!

Weatherman or no weatherman, I'm staying home tomorrow. I'm not driving 90 minutes and paying $60 to stand in the rain and watch tires being dragged by push trucks.

MandyB
09-06-2008, 02:28 AM
I got my excitement from Stafford Friday night. And that's probably it for New England, unless a miracle occurs.

I know there's not going to be a lot going on this weekend in terms of racing. I might as well find other things to do that are local and cost efficient. (Did I spell that right? My spell check went to bed.)

I would have thought that tracks would cancel/postpone shows yesterday rather than hold off until the last minute. Well, I guess I'm wrong.

Teds Race Tours
09-06-2008, 06:21 AM
I just wish they would call it. I mean the infield is gonna be soaked. people may have to drive long distances in what may be horrible driving conditions to get there, and i am sure they won't have the crowd that this awesome event deserves no matter what. Rather go back in October without the hurricane.

The Bullfather
09-06-2008, 07:47 AM
AMEN! But driving back home might be even more dangerous!

Howie
09-06-2008, 07:50 AM
Not the news I expected. :confused:
From Thompsons website http://www.thompsonspeedway.com/

8:00 Am - Saturday, September 6th

RGeeProductions
09-06-2008, 08:08 AM
Not the news I expected. :confused:
From Thompsons website http://www.thompsonspeedway.com/

8:00 Am - Saturday, September 6th

Yup, actually does look clear........for about 4 hours then havoc!!!!

raceaddict24
09-06-2008, 09:56 AM
I live about 15 minutes from Thompson and its been on and off showers and sprinkles all morning...this sucks, we need some sunshine!!

Mike Fields
09-06-2008, 10:12 AM
I called Russ about a half hour ago at Thompson. Track drying was in progress when we spoke. It's a crap-shoot between the cells. However, there going to roll the dice and go ahead today, until weather forces them to pull the plug.

raceaddict24
09-06-2008, 10:13 AM
Revised schedule for today on Thompson's website, looks like heat races at 1:30 now.

stefanikfan
09-06-2008, 01:17 PM
Just got off the phone with oilman. Other than being lonely with no race buddies to hang with, he said that practice had been going on but was halted due to a shower. The dryers are out there right now. I had decided to wait it out and head up in the morning but what the hell, I think I'll go up and join him this afternoon rain, wind, or shine!

He said there were a handfull of campers there. I presume everyone will show in the morning for a day trip.

Rob,
aka, Stefanikfan.:cheers:

ThE sHaDoW
09-06-2008, 01:34 PM
Revised schedule for today on Thompson's website, looks like heat races at 1:30 now.

updated again, heat races at 3:30

also FYI to the fans, the pit party was canceled for tomorrow morning.

schedule #1
http://www.thompsonspeedway.com/schedules/ModMania.htm
schedule #2
http://www.thompsonspeedway.com/schedules/ModMania-2.htm

World Series schedule
http://www.thompsonspeedway.com/schedules/world-series.htm

Bullfrog
09-06-2008, 09:54 PM
I must take a moment to appologize. Every time I fly up from Georgia, usualy once a year to a race, it rains. So i must be bringing it with me. And if you look at the hurricane path, it looks to be a true statement. Last time I came up was last year's Mod Mania and I got to see only a few races before the rains came. Oh well!! Fortunately we did get some practice today to shake the car down after a wreck last week. And we scuffed stickers in the heat race and made some final adjustments for tomorow's feature. That is an SK update though. I hope to see a Mod Tour race tomorrow. Weather looks much better for tomorrow.:applause:

BF

Howie
09-06-2008, 10:10 PM
There is another schedule change since the #2 ThE sHaDoW posted above.

Schedule #3
http://www.thompsonspeedway.com/schedules/ModMania-3.htm

It was good to see you today, BF. We won't blame the weather on you. But if the storm name started with "J", we might have to rethink that! :wave: