PDA

View Full Version : Whata Race...

RichKeator
09-13-2008, 08:42 PM
so Im sitting in my best western hotel... with free internet so i had to post...i dont think Ive ever watched 2 drivers swap the lead back and forth as often as TC an $howtime did today.... had to move to the front stretch for the "2nd half" of the race... too bad the taxi cab series cant be that exciting

limodmaniac
09-14-2008, 04:07 PM
Come to think about it, I think Teddy was swapping the lead quite a lot back in June too.

kinserfan11
09-14-2008, 07:56 PM
Speed showed tonte on speed report a few clips; mostly frontstrech crash; passes and thats it:mad:

The Bullfather
09-14-2008, 08:02 PM
Hey atleast it was something in PRIMETIME! "Fuller....figures!" lol! A lot of Long Islands fans used that saying a lot at Riverhead,back in the day. Wish they showed more, but we still got press!:)

hollywoodmic
09-15-2008, 10:04 AM
Let me start by saying I love Jake Maroz and I root for him, but what was he doing on that final caution??? Jake should've been on the bottom out of the way. Instead TC had to pass him low because he drove right up in the groove out of turn 4. Then he ended up in a leaders sandwich. I think it would have been some race to the end. I just wish Jake would have gone to the bottom, instead it was a direct result of loosing Grigas, Beers, and Ryan Newman. Please let me re-itterate, I respect Jake and his team, I just feel either him or his spotter made a poor decision in this one and it changed the entire ending of the race. Just my 2 cents.

Goldy
09-15-2008, 10:21 AM
Agreed Hollywood... that was a shame..

Linda
09-15-2008, 10:42 AM
I knew somebody would post something about the incident but I am glad Hollywoodmic you didn't at least bash Jake. Our spotter did his job in letting Jake know but Jake didn't hear the spotter because something went wrong with the radio just before it happened, too much static he couldn't hear anything. You know Jake, Hollywoodmic, he would have gotten out of their way if he knew they were coming. Then he noticed them as just before entering turn 1 and tried to correct the problem by going down and it created an even bigger mess because TC dove under him. He sincerely regrets it all happening and if you personally know Jake, you know he is very upset about it. He tried to apologize but one team didn't want to hear it, which he understands. Everyone makes mistakes, like someone hitting the #77 at the start/finish line trying to go 4 wide and creating that mess before even one lap was completed, and some drivers even take others out intentionally, but this was a big mistake and he apolgizes for it.

hollywoodmic
09-15-2008, 10:46 AM
Yeah, bashing Jake for me was out of the question. Hearing their was a radio problem makes more sense. Well good luck in your next race.

Linda
09-15-2008, 11:04 AM
Thanks Hollywoodmic...hopefully Martinsville is better. And thanks again saying what you felt you had to about Jake, but being respectful at the same time. :)

uticamike
09-15-2008, 08:21 PM
The flagger also has to take some blame here. I was watching as the field came off 4 towards Jake and while the flagger motioned him over with the
flag stick, he never uncurled it to show Jake the colors. With the light the way it was that late in day its likely Jake didn't see it. Can't figure out why
he wouldn't wave the passing flag. Damn shame for sure as that was going to be an even better race ending than it was. That was awesome.

zoomcat
09-16-2008, 12:34 AM
I knew somebody would post something about the incident but I am glad Hollywoodmic you didn't at least bash Jake. Our spotter did his job in letting Jake know but Jake didn't hear the spotter because something went wrong with the radio just before it happened, too much static he couldn't hear anything. You know Jake, Hollywoodmic, he would have gotten out of their way if he knew they were coming. Then he noticed them as just before entering turn 1 and tried to correct the problem by going down and it created an even bigger mess because TC dove under him. He sincerely regrets it all happening and if you personally know Jake, you know he is very upset about it. He tried to apologize but one team didn't want to hear it, which he understands. Everyone makes mistakes, like someone hitting the #77 at the start/finish line trying to go 4 wide and creating that mess before even one lap was completed, and some drivers even take others out intentionally, but this was a big mistake and he apolgizes for it.

I don't think someone hitting the 77 on the initial start caused the mess, I pretty sure the 77 either missed a shift or just didn't go and that is what caused that wreck.

Groundpounder
09-16-2008, 10:32 AM
That flagger was totally useless. After one of the wrecks in turn 2, we're all looking at the flag stand wondering where the heck the caution flag is. Finally, the assistant flagger tapped him on the shoulder and pointed towards turn 2. Forget the flagger being in control of the race, this one wasn't even watching the race!

And I'm with zoomcat on the 77 deal. I didn't see anyone hit him until he started rapidly falling back. Cars were going 4 wide to try to avoid the 77.

RichKeator
09-16-2008, 11:43 AM
holllddddd onn... the STARTER in me has to go to bat for Bob Slate here for a sec... when it comes to the roll of starters these days, things are MUCH different then they usse to be. Days of putting on the show and running the show like we use to do isn't how it is. Now its the POWERS UP IN THE TOWER that make the calls on yellows... so the yellow that never happend wasnt Bob's fault. Read Shawn's Blog, cause Chad Little explains why a caution never flew for the Goodale spin(guessing thats the accedent you're talking about). Also I dont even know who the asistant even was. Normally most the tracks they go to the asistant is a WEEKLY official, but its New Hampshire and no weekly series, they probably went, "hm who just sits around during the race and would be whiling to go up there for 2 hours..."sad but thats basicly how it is now a days with the NASCAR touring series...(I could open up a whole can of worms on this one but wont....)

and finnally with the passing flag... consider a few things about New Hampshire and think about this...

1. The Speed at this track is unmatched anywhere for for the mods... I have had a discussion about things like this with other starters... when you're going that fast, not really going to know whats waving at you... even in the big leauges, with the black flag they just wave it at the whole feild and hope the driver sees his number on the board, while on a short track saturday night we point, and post the number.

2. Compare the hight of the starters stand at NHMS to most of the other tracks the mods go to... never thought it was possable to get a nose bleed going up the stand... if you dont have a flag out before the cars are comming out of 4, they aint gonna see you cause ur up so high...

and finnally 3 :applause::applause: If I could qoute the race director at Stafford... during one event while he was proceeding to yell at his son/ insturct him how to do something... " YOU'RE THERE FOR THE FANS, the rest can be taking care of over the radio" which is VERRRRYYY TRUE... think about it...

It aint as easy as it seems... and its not like the old days

JED
09-16-2008, 11:47 AM
Rick Fuller said the 77's motor just shut off. Fuller tried to restart it but it would not go.

Groundpounder
09-16-2008, 12:41 PM
holllddddd onn... the STARTER in me has to go to bat for Bob Slate here for a sec... when it comes to the roll of starters these days, things are MUCH different then they usse to be. Days of putting on the show and running the show like we use to do isn't how it is. Now its the POWERS UP IN THE TOWER that make the calls on yellows... so the yellow that never happend wasnt Bob's fault. Read Shawn's Blog, cause Chad Little explains why a caution never flew for the Goodale spin(guessing thats the accedent you're talking about). Also I dont even know who the asistant even was. Normally most the tracks they go to the asistant is a WEEKLY official, but its New Hampshire and no weekly series, they probably went, "hm who just sits around during the race and would be whiling to go up there for 2 hours..."sad but thats basicly how it is now a days with the NASCAR touring series...(I could open up a whole can of worms on this one but wont....)

and finnally with the passing flag... consider a few things about New Hampshire and think about this...

1. The Speed at this track is unmatched anywhere for for the mods... I have had a discussion about things like this with other starters... when you're going that fast, not really going to know whats waving at you... even in the big leauges, with the black flag they just wave it at the whole feild and hope the driver sees his number on the board, while on a short track saturday night we point, and post the number.

2. Compare the hight of the starters stand at NHMS to most of the other tracks the mods go to... never thought it was possable to get a nose bleed going up the stand... if you dont have a flag out before the cars are comming out of 4, they aint gonna see you cause ur up so high...

and finnally 3 :applause::applause: If I could qoute the race director at Stafford... during one event while he was proceeding to yell at his son/ insturct him how to do something... " YOU'RE THERE FOR THE FANS, the rest can be taking care of over the radio" which is VERRRRYYY TRUE... think about it...

It aint as easy as it seems... and its not like the old days

No, I wasn't referring to the Goodale spin. I don't remember which car it was now, but it didn't pull away, and the yellow was eventually thrown when like I said, the assistant flagger made the head flagger aware of the problem. If it's supposed to be someone up in the tower calling yellows, then whoever that was wasn't doing their job either. I do 100% agree with the nascar official's decision (omg, is it snowing yet?) to not throw the yellow for the Goodale spin and their reasoning behind that decision (as stated in Shawn's blog). That mess was 100% Mr. Goodale's fault.

modchick
09-16-2008, 01:11 PM
Thank god someone else thought that it was poor decision making on Goodale's part. I got ripped apart for saying that. I am obviously a huge Hossfeld fan, and therefore a little biased, but its good to know I'm not completely crazy! Thanks for confirming that for me. Who stays out on the track like that when something is visibly wrong - AND you already spun out? Just keeping the faith that Chuck can and will come back strong! ;)

Bob T. Racer
09-16-2008, 05:07 PM
The flagger also has to take some blame here. I was watching as the field came off 4 towards Jake and while the flagger motioned him over with the
flag stick, he never uncurled it to show Jake the colors. With the light the way it was that late in day its likely Jake didn't see it. Can't figure out why
he wouldn't wave the passing flag. Damn shame for sure as that was going to be an even better race ending than it was. That was awesome.

At the Thompson race 2 weeks ago, the starter would not throw the move over flag for lap cars in front of the leader, T.C. , for 14 laps. So after the race I asked him about it and he told me he did not have to throw the flag because those cars were still racing for position on the lead lap. That's why he only throws it for the 2'nd and 3'rd place cars. I told him 1 day there is going to be a wreck because he doesn't throw it and sure enough next race poor Chucky gets the shaft!!

Bob T. Racer
09-16-2008, 05:10 PM
I mean't ryan,eric,bobby not chucky

Sicklajoie
09-16-2008, 06:29 PM

In other words, the flagman's just a puppet.

RichKeator
09-16-2008, 07:47 PM
Its sad.... but thats basicly how it is now a days... the art of being a starter has gone... by the wayside. I could open up a can of worms on how i feel about this, but I'd probably need a whole page... and Im not going to bash anything or take that road... all i can say is i still enjoy doing what I love, but its not how it use to be when i was growning up... I got yelled at one night for almost getting off the stand just to tell a car where to line up... again think about it, starters dont even need to be on the stand, they can do all that stuff over the radio...

BOWATCHER
09-17-2008, 06:50 AM
In defense of Goodale as per Modchicks ramblings. If nascar threw a caution when they certainly should of and didn't. none of this damage would have never happeened. hence the extended cleanup after the fact. If you think he is just gonna sit there /get no caution/ think again /he had to get it back too the pit area for repairs. Fact of the matter isthe 4 hit the 58 and who should be mad at who here? What was your spotter thinking?????? looks like no head table this year!

Linda
09-17-2008, 09:20 AM
The same thing (no caution) happened to Jake at Thompson, Aug. 14th. He blew a rear tire and crashed into the wall. He was up against the wall for a short time and then was hit in the rear by two drivers, guessing because the caution was not thrown and spotters didn't see the crash either. Jake sustained a lot more damage from the two that hit him than from hitting the wall. He had to put a new rear clip and everything that goes along with it. Lots of money and time and it also took out a competitor who was running really well at the time. Nascar officials did apologize to Jake after the race, said they didn't throw the yellow because they just didn't see him up against the wall.

My daughter happened to take a picture of the start of the race at Loudon so I thought I would share it with you all. You can see the #16 hitting the rear of I believe the #28, and like someone posted before it does look like the #77 trying to get out of the way.

Howie
09-17-2008, 09:32 AM
Great shot Linda, she caught the moment. There is a video of the start on YouTube (Isn't everything that happens on YouTube?) Click HERE (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xNGtbXkhXHM). It is hard to tell anything from it except how quickly it all happened.

PitGirl35
09-17-2008, 08:53 PM
In defense of Goodale as per Modchicks ramblings. If nascar threw a caution when they certainly should of and didn't. none of this damage would have never happeened. hence the extended cleanup after the fact. If you think he is just gonna sit there /get no caution/ think again /he had to get it back too the pit area for repairs. Fact of the matter isthe 4 hit the 58 and who should be mad at who here? What was your spotter thinking?????? looks like no head table this year!

Then why did Goodale pull back onto the track when he could have stayed on the access road? That wreck was by no means Chuck's fault. Goodale spun right in front of Chuck and Chuck had no where to go. What was Goodale's spotter thinking? This isn't the first time that Goodale has cost Chuck a good run. 167 points isn't too far back and with 4 races left, anything can happen.

Groundpounder
09-18-2008, 07:06 AM

So what are you saying Bowatcher, that Goodale stayed on the track instead of pulling onto the turn 3 access road so he could bring out a caution? That's what it sounds like your saying, which is pretty funny because I said the same thing Sunday when they showed the replay on the big screen. You could see smoke coming off of all 4 tires like he locked up the brakes.

attituderacing
09-18-2008, 09:58 AM
:mad:I'm sure if the rolls were reverse, Chuck would have done the same thing. And WHY would Kevin want to wreck a brand new car???

gomodsgo
09-18-2008, 10:49 AM
:mad:I'm sure if the rolls were reverse, Chuck would have done the same thing. And WHY would Kevin want to wreck a brand new car???

ARE YOU SERIOUS???????????

You think that chuck would have locked his breaks and spin right in front of the leaders????????

I think Kevin had a couple of chances to take his car off the track... he could have stayed spun in turn 2 and waited for a caution, he could have used turn 3's access road into the pits, and he could have stayed low and turned into pit lane which it looked like he was going to do. I really don't know Kevin, BUT, I know that Chuck would have picked something else to do and NOT have done the same thing if the rolls were reversed. Sorry, I think you are wrong on that call attituderacing.

attituderacing
09-18-2008, 10:57 AM
Well being the front suspension was broken from Newman, maybe he didn't know the extent of the damage!!! When he got to pit row, the car wouldn't turn!!! I guess the caution only comes out for a select few.

Jaws
09-18-2008, 01:33 PM
Unless anyone here has spoken to Kevin Goodale, its all speculation what happened.

Maybe he was trying to get to pit road, even in turn 3 but maybe the cars steering was broken, maybe he missed the entrance in 3 and was trying to get to the turn 4 entrance, maybe he made a mistake! Maybe he was having steering and brake problems too, who knows.

All I know is Kevin is a good kid who would never want to wreck anyone else on the track.

Accidents happen in racing, I am sure Kevin feels bad for Chuck, Kevins spin could have wrecked anyone else in the top 5 as they went by.

Look, some fans were mad at Jake when when he was being lapped late in the race, his radio was not working and he got in the way. Was it his fault? Who knows but Jake would never want to cause a wreck and on the record he tried to apologize to a fellow driver.

These cars are fast and things happen fast on the track, it looks easy from the stands to say that this or that should have happened or not happened. Sometimes its just racing luck to be at the right place at the right time or the wrong place.

Its been a tough couple of races for Chuck, it could turn around real quick in 1 race.

No one was hurt on Sat and that should be the most important thing.