PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Preece Named Winner Of Whelen Modified Tour Race At Martinsville Speedway

ShawnCourchesne
09-21-2008, 09:35 PM
Ryan Preece Named Winner Of Whelen Modified Tour Race At Martinsville Speedway (http://blogs.courant.com/autoracing)

kinserfan11
09-21-2008, 10:03 PM
Ryan Preece Named Winner Of Whelen Modified Tour Race At Martinsville Speedway
By
Shawn Courchesne
on September 21, 2008 9:30 PM | Permalink | Comments (0)

Yes, you read the headline correctly.

Ryan Preece.jpgSeventeen year old Ryan Preece of Berlin won his first Whelen Modified Tour event in Saturday's Made in American Whelen 300 at Martinsville Speedway in Martinsville, Va.

Preece, who has been a threat to win numerous times this season on the Whelen Modified Tour, is now the youngest winner in the history of the division, bettering former youngest winner Tom Cravenho Jr., who won his first race in 1995.

The historic victory comes for Preece in a milestone event for the division. It was the 500th race in the history of the Whelen Modified Tour, which ran its first season in 1985.

Oh by the way, Preece's "victory" has nothing to do with anything that is going on with "race winner" Burt Myers.

A NASCAR spokesperson did confirm Sunday that Whelen Modified Tour inspectors confiscated parts from Myers' car after the race and that those parts will be further inspected at NASCAR's research and development center. An announcement concerning that issue is expected by Wednesday.

But then there's the NASCAR lunacy that is Preece's "first career victory."

No matter what happens regarding the further inspection of Myers' car, Preece, who finished second to Myers, will still go down as having won a Whelen Modified Tour event.

Because Myers was representing the Whelen Southern Modified Tour in the combination event, Preece was awarded "victory" for the Whelen Modified Tour.

Simply, it's an idiotic system that awards a "victory" to a driver that finished in second place, and probably not the way Preece wanted to "win his first event."

Leave it to NASCAR to screw up even the most simplest of record keeping. Can't wait for that trivia question years from now. Who won the 500th Whelen Modified Tour event? Ryan Preece? Well, he finished second, but he really won.

Coming up next, NASCAR explains how Dale Earnhardt Jr. really has won 28 Sprint Cup Series events this season, they just haven't told us yet that they came in the double secret Junior Only Sprint Cup division.

Jaws
09-21-2008, 10:31 PM
"Simply, it's an idiotic system that awards a "victory" to a driver that finished in second place, and probably not the way Preece wanted to "win his first event." "

Yes is it unusual, but its the rules a they have always been in the combo race, so why take away from the win.

Good job Ryan, you have come a long way this season and especially in the last month, man are you sure you are only 17!

RichKeator
09-21-2008, 10:51 PM
this is JUST MY OPINION so dont rip me open on this... I have to agree with shawn.... its very screwy

I would think that someone's first career win would much rather be a WIN where you are the first car across the line...not the first car of ur "region" or "class". Too me just doesn't have the same luster(i think thats the word im looking for) as one would want for a first career win...

think about this....Someone other than you sitting in victory lane with the liquid flying, crew sreaming around flash bulbs going off and TV camera's around him(o wait its the mod tour so there is no TV camera)...yet you're being told you are still "a winner" of the race...

SIModified
09-21-2008, 11:06 PM
Don't blame Shawn for pointing out the obvious..

The format of this race has always been this way.

Burt won the Southern Tour, while Ryan won the Northern Tour. If Burt is stripped of the win, Ryan Preece would win the overall, instead of Burt Myers.

The latest I've heard (from a Burt Myers crew member) is that Burt Myers' Crew Chief Scott Weidner was no where to be found when there were questions about the transmission. Apparently, (as seen elsewhere on this forum) there was an extra gear in the transmission which acted like "overdrive." If Scott was no where to be found, then what is NASCAR supposed to think??

If that's the case, the transmission would circumvent whatever gear rule was in place for the Martinsville event...thus making Burt's transmission illegal.

The bottom line is simply this....I'm thinking Burt isn't going to care as long as he gets the $8,000 winner's check. Eight thousand dollars is basically winning the purse of FOUR NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour events.

I guess we'll all know the answers on Wednesday.

As far as Ryan winning the race.....whoever took home the Ridgeway grandfather clock is the winner of the race.

That's how I see it.

Jaws
09-21-2008, 11:26 PM
Was it the reverse the last 2 years? If it was I never heard any *****ing the last 2 years.

Silly maybe, but it is what it is, maybe there should be 2 clocks!!!:wave:

By the way yes there were TV cameras, the race will be on Speed in Oct.

Brian Hawks
09-22-2008, 06:41 AM
This race has been like this for 3 years. The person who finishes 1st gets the trophy and grandfather clock. The "highest" finishing driver from the other series is awarded 1st place points.

And you are correct, No one has said a word for the past 3 years. It's now that a Southern car has made it to victory lane and he has the potential to be "illegal" everyone is making these remarks.

catfish
09-22-2008, 12:28 PM
If the shoe fits, also as you stated it appears as the only way the southern car was able to win and to this point it is only a rumor not fact, is that they had to cheat.

Teds Race Tours
09-22-2008, 01:52 PM
This race has been like this for 3 years. The person who finishes 1st gets the trophy and grandfather clock. The "highest" finishing driver from the other series is awarded 1st place points.

And you are correct, No one has said a word for the past 3 years. It's now that a Southern car has made it to victory lane and he has the potential to be "illegal" everyone is making these remarks.

The reason nobody said anything the last 3 years is probably that we don't nearly have as much interest in the Southern Tour as we do about the Northern Tour. Give the top 5 Southern Finishers a "Southern" win, we wouldn't flinch. If Ryan Preece doesn't cross the checkered flag 1st, he shouldn't get a win. The "combo" partof the event is ridiculous. Yes, it an awesome race at Martinsville, but no race should have 2 winners. JMO.

Brian Hawks
09-22-2008, 02:54 PM
Sorry, I'm interested in Modifieds in general. I agree 2 winners are dumb. But we never did a Press Release when we got a 3rd place finish overall and was credited with a Southern Win. It's more attention to it now because the South won. Oh well. We also dont have full time crew guys either but that's another subject.

It's just sad that you come here as a Southern reader and see this stuff on here.

RGeeProductions
09-22-2008, 03:25 PM
Not more attention because a southern mod won, attention because Ryan is a youngster and doing well for himself.
The combo race has always been this way and that's that.
And if anyone asks who won the WHELEN MODIFIED TOUR AT MARTINSVILLE, the answer is Ryan Preece.
And if anyone asks who won the WHELEN SOUTHERN MODIFIED TOUR AT MARTINSVILLE, the answer is Burt Myers.
And if anyone asks who won the WHELEN COMBO EVENT AT MARTINSVILLE, the answer is Burt Myers.
Also Brian, please note, from what friends have told that live down there, not one newspaper even mentions anything about the Whelen Modified tour in regards to Martinsville, only the Southern Modified Tour. At least here, at TCH, we post ALL touring news, and I am based in New York. And that's the way it is and should be everywhere....

Teds Race Tours
09-22-2008, 03:26 PM
Brian.
We're all interested in Modifieds in general. Any Modified race is better than any taxi cab race, period. In general, us northern folks don't follow the Southern Tour nearly as much as the southerners keep track of the Northern Tour. Thats the main reason there are 792 threads in the Northern Forum, and only 43 in the Southern here at TCH.

No disrespect is meant(by me anyways) to the Southern Drivers/Tour. I understand they don't have the money/crew members/resources that many of the teams up north have. We know it isn't truly level playing field yet. I Burt Myers legally won that race, I think it would be awesome. It would be cool to have the rivalry kick up a few notches. It would be great getting Richmond back on the Schedule, so anything that helps that would be good.

Brian Hawks
09-22-2008, 03:48 PM
RGee - You are right. I think the Winston Salem Journal is going to finally mention it in tomorrows paper. The Press down here sucks. You bring up the Mod races and everyone talks about the Baily's 300 down there. It's a crashed filled couple heat races and a boring main event late model race.

From the discussions down here, I dont think we will worry about that combo show anymore. We didnt bring enough fans to watch the race so they are going to drop it for 2009.

No one advertised anything down here either. A local radio station was advertising us racing at Caraway on Sep 20... I mean come on.

And thats what I am talking about, so many people talking about the format of the race and I think Ryan is doing a heck of a job. He wheeled the heck outta the car and impressed me. Just a lot of attention being taking off his talent because of the combo show.

RGeeProductions
09-22-2008, 03:56 PM
Martinsville is a LONG travel for all involved, fans and teams.
If they added a Truck race or a Nationwide race with it, the fans would be there I guess. It's a shame.....

Linda
09-22-2008, 07:04 PM
My husband also made a good point as to why the crowds were not there. It used to be on Labor Day weekend and being a long weekend it would make it easier for some of the mod followers from the north to come down to VA. Also, with the gas prices I am sure that didn't help either if you are traveling from the North. With all these north/south "issues" going on from this race, I would like to think that we are all from the same mod family (Whelen). JMO

The Bullfather
09-22-2008, 08:00 PM
Does Ryan get a grandfather clock? Don't all the winners at Martinsville get a clock fro every race run there? Did Burt get one?

Goldy
09-22-2008, 08:05 PM

Brian - you got it right there and its as simple as that. In my book, calling Ryan anything but the 2nd place finisher is just plain wrong - no matter what the Press Release says. If they have to have a winner for the race from both the North and the South, because of the point system - I suggest they go back to the drawing board on that one.

I'd have to go back and look but I don't remember the PR around the "other winner" in the past - shining the light on it because Ryan is young seems too Media machine driven too me - I doubt it has anything to do with a car from the South winning and the North finishing 2nd.

Great run by Ryan though, the kid is impressive. I look forward to his first real win.

RichKeator
09-22-2008, 08:55 PM
My last post about this and thoughts on this had nothing to do with who won what... I think it kinda lacks excitement getting your "FIRST WIN" and not truly winning the race... YES I know he was first across the line for the Whelen Mod tour and gets first place points and etc....

Jaws
09-22-2008, 11:07 PM
My husband also made a good point as to why the crowds were not there. It used to be on Labor Day weekend and being a long weekend it would make it easier for some of the mod followers from the north to come down to VA. Also, with the gas prices I am sure that didn't help either if you are traveling from the North. With all these north/south "issues" going on from this race, I would like to think that we are all from the same mod family (Whelen). JMO

Thats a great point, I went to the first one (With a huge crowd I might add) that was a long weekend and a night race too. They should move it back and make it a night race again(and let the ROC have its own weekend too). I believe gas prices were high that year due to a hurricane if I remember right. But this year add in the crappy economy which has touched many people more than it ever has in the past. Unless the economy comes back over the winter 2009 is going to be a challenge to the tour to attract cars and tracks to attract fans.

catfish
09-23-2008, 09:24 AM
From the promoters view, don't forget that he will have to RENT lights again as he does not have them and Musco I am sure is not cheap. So without a guarantee of a good crowd i don't believe he would lay out that kind of $$$$ again.But that is JMHO

Linda
09-23-2008, 02:47 PM
RGee - You are right. I think the Winston Salem Journal is going to finally mention it in tomorrows paper. The Press down here sucks. You bring up the Mod races and everyone talks about the Baily's 300 down there. It's a crashed filled couple heat races and a boring main event late model race.

From the discussions down here, I dont think we will worry about that combo show anymore. We didnt bring enough fans to watch the race so they are going to drop it for 2009.

No one advertised anything down here either. A local radio station was advertising us racing at Caraway on Sep 20... I mean come on.

And thats what I am talking about, so many people talking about the format of the race and I think Ryan is doing a heck of a job. He wheeled the heck outta the car and impressed me. Just a lot of attention being taking off his talent because of the combo show.

As far as the advertising, my husband was telling me that after the race they went back to Dutch Inn (with the race car hauler) to eat and a gentleman came over and asked Wade and Rick if they had a race this weekend. They said it was earlier today and he said he didn't know about it, hadn't heard anything on it. And he lived right in the area.

Axel
09-23-2008, 03:35 PM
There was a lot of energy and interest in the first race. Being that it was Labor Day Weekend also helped I am sure. If they don’t wanna pay for the lights they could still do a big Labor Day combo race during the day on the Sunday of Labor Day. It would give people the chance to get home as well (and selfishly would not compete with the RoC at Oswego).

Howie
09-23-2008, 04:09 PM
One thing I don't think I've seen mentioned in this thread is how huge football is, especially down south. Going against high school and college football on Saturday must have caused some loss in fans at the race.

We bought a Martinsville paper either Thursday or Friday. Wish we'd kept it, but as we remember, on the front page of the sports section there was a story about the upcoming Whelen 300, complete with 3 photos. It told all about how L.W.Miller won the race last year and gave the finish of the race. All southern drivers. Not a mention of the northern "part" of the race or that Donny Lia won the "over-all" race. I looked on their web site for the story and couldn't find it. I really do wish we still had the paper.

Jaws
09-23-2008, 07:06 PM
Now that the 1 has been disqualified............Nevermind!!

LOL