PDA

View Full Version : En-door-o question

cerckl'm racing
09-25-2008, 06:58 PM
The last races we spotted a couple of people exiting and re-entering their vehicles via the driver's side door, and I don't mean the window. Is there something in the rules I didn't see? Didn't look as though they unbolted/unchained/un-welded anything on the infield.

art11758
09-26-2008, 08:49 AM
My doors were always chained from the inside. It was possible, provided there wasn't excessive body damage to open them that way. I never did so though except to remove stuff before recycling. I cannot imagine a car made it thru "tech" without the door being secure. Unless things have really changed.

richardpetey
09-26-2008, 09:02 AM
Hey! They let drivers run with no flame suits.....................:eek:
Safety doesn't seem to be their forte!.....................:rolleyes:
UNCLE PETEY.....................:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

cerckl'm racing
09-26-2008, 09:57 AM
How do you chain the doors from the inside, thru the door jamb? Mine were chained thru the door lock hole and thru the rear quarter window. Then I was "introduced" to 'welding insurance'.....

"...provided there wasn't excessive body damage.." THAT'S pretty funny.......

art11758
09-26-2008, 10:09 AM
I used a hole saw. Four holes in all. Two where the frame and the door meet and two more perpendicular to those on the inside of the door and the body.
To do a four door car is a little trickier but still easier than threading chain through door locks,handle holes and whatnot.

cerckl'm racing
09-26-2008, 10:31 AM
Ahhhhh......the old "hidden chain" trick. Noted.

art11758
09-26-2008, 01:52 PM
I dunno if it was a trick per se. It actually came about when a certain official didn't like the way my seat was installed and I needed to secure the back of it in such a way that it couldn't move. I also never chained bumpers. I thought that to be a huge waste of time. I could accomplish the same action cleanly with a piece of flat stock (1/8 or so) from the bumper to the end of the frame rail and some welding. If the bumper gave you trouble after that, typically you had bigger problems. :)

fisherman
09-26-2008, 02:32 PM
The last races we spotted a couple of people exiting and re-entering their vehicles via the driver's side door, and I don't mean the window. Is there something in the rules I didn't see? Didn't look as though they unbolted/unchained/un-welded anything on the infield.

well think of your own safety some guys have no sense of safety i for one safety was always number1 with me. i walked away from some bad wrecks