PDA

View Full Version : richie evans.

rapidroman
09-29-2008, 09:27 AM
9/20/08 met dan with racing with Jesus ministries. what precious people. it was my first return to martinsville since 10/24/85. i stood in turn 3. wow. that was hard. then, i turned to all the activity. then wrenches going. the open headers. listen, like johnny cash said... "i've been everywhere man...," that's me. and i can say... n.e. modified racing is the only racing. i grew up standing next to richie evans in the pits. i was amazed at the drivers that would gather at his car before the race. and after the race. the most striking thing was the friendship he had with fellow competitors. even after 9 championships he was still loved. i remember people finishing second to him saying in victory lane, "well, if i had to get second to anyone, i am glad it was richie." i remember him standing toe to toe with nascar and fighting for what's right for the nascar drivers. an advocate. amazing.

after 10/24/85, i spent my racing time with nascar winston/nextel cup. in mooresville, at the race shops. visiting. going to races. pressing the flesh. every now and then i would get a breath of fresh air, like with bace motorsports randy's era. billy n. then, that faded into where nextel cup is today. and you know what? i wanted to throw up. i was sick of racing. sick of arrogant, prideful, money grubbing, hollywood seeking, p+l statement, driven people. i told my wife... "i am never going to another nascar sanctioned event."

then came 9/20/08. martinsville. i was Led to help racing with Jesus ministries. how Refreshingly Right. i went to martinsville and found that same passion that richie had. i saw it in their eyes. listen, i have spent lots of time with cup people and i would not exchange one minute with jamie tomaino for a day with them. the modified people are the best.

but, it's even deeper than that. the racing. listen, the modified racing is infinitely better than cup racing. i would love to get my hands on the throat (yes, i would give them the Gospel first) that decides what goes into the tv package. or even the planning of events. let's see, we have the trucks in vegas. busch in dover. and modifieds in martinsville. yes, i am not joking. 9/20/08. check it.

the night before martinsville i go into kohl's looking for an "evans orange" color shirt. the only thing i could find was a vintage hamburger shirt. i got it. get to the track. i see a car in the parking lot painted evans orange (yes, i want to meet you). i went through the tunnel. saw in the stands 5-10 richie evans shirts. wow, was that awesome. real fans. it was so refreshing to see real fans. not corporate hospitality psuedo fans. you know what i mean?

listen, i want to encourage the posters on this board. you have got the right one baby. modified racing is the only racing. and Jesus Christ is "the true God and eternal life." 1John5:20.

Jill
09-29-2008, 12:14 PM
Amen!

I didn't know him personally, but my husband and his cousin did. My husband's cousin, Johnny Hoek, owned Wheels by Bart at that time; later changed the name to Bart Wheels and was a sponsor of Richie's. I've heard stories about Richie, sorry I never got to meet him.

There is a tribute on You Tube in his honor:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMn0GOm6RK0

rapidroman
09-29-2008, 12:45 PM
jill, thanks for that. i remember the bart wheels on richie's car. thanks for the youtube. i wear the fingerprints off my hands looking everyday on the internet for richie stuff. that youtube is awesome. thanks. you made my day. my five year old last night is ripping around on a pedal-car, so fast the front left wheel was coming off the ground. he looks up and says, "look dad, i'm just like richie evans." it was a "hallmark" moment. his name is evan.

again, thanks for the touch.

Axel
09-29-2008, 12:56 PM
man, this thread is great.

This shows all of the things that is RIGHT about the modifieds-- especially how great the people are.

Jill
09-29-2008, 01:11 PM
jill, thanks for that. i remember the bart wheels on richie's car. thanks for the youtube. i wear the fingerprints off my hands looking everyday on the internet for richie stuff. that youtube is awesome. thanks. you made my day. my five year old last night is ripping around on a pedal-car, so fast the front left wheel was coming off the ground. he looks up and says, "look dad, i'm just like richie evans." it was a "hallmark" moment. his name is evan.

again, thanks for the touch.

Just noticed on Bart Wheels website they use Richie's car as the background for their biography: http://www.bart-wheel.com/about.htm. Cute story about Evan, sounds like he's ready for quarter midgets, you'll remember all those little moments as he gets older. My son's name is Richie, following in his grandfather and fathers footsteps: http://www.richkuikenjr.com

W. J.
09-29-2008, 01:22 PM
I spent one very special night after the races at Islip with Charlie J., later Richie came by and stayed, and Tom Baldwin joined the 3 of us later. It is still my favorite moment in racing that didn't take place on a race track.

All of them were just regular guys who loved racing, respected each other, and made the sport what it was in that era before 'factory' cars came along. Richie Evans was a joy to watch in a race car. If you watched him closely,as you could easily do on a small oval, it almost seemed as if he was out for a leisurely drive on the highway, rather than competing in a race. Yet he was intense about the mission at hand, winning, and as the record shows, he was good at it, absolutely the best of all time.

I've missed seeing him race all these years since, along with the other greats that the sport has lost over that time. Others have come along to fill the void, but they are as unique as Richie, Charlie, Tommy and all the others, with none being near the same as those 3 guys.

Yeah, it feels good to write something this good about racing, and it's still modifieds that I love to watch the most. "Vanilla" Cup just doesn't do it for me anymore.

rapidroman
09-29-2008, 01:46 PM
Just noticed on Bart Wheels website they use Richie's car as the background for their biography: http://www.bart-wheel.com/about.htm. Cute story about Evan, sounds like he's ready for quarter midgets, you'll remember all those little moments as he gets older. My son's name is Richie, following in his grandfather and fathers footsteps: http://www.richkuikenjr.com

amazing. i have been to your sons website weeks ago. i found it, because on it, he has a picture of a richie evans picture and quote that says, "we're just passing through, so while you're here, you got to leave your mark." i became a fan and follower of rich kuiken jr because he put that picture on his site. i love it.

i went to new smyrna speedway to speak with the owner. i told them to leave that painting of richie evans on the wall forever. amazing. thanks for the bart wheels site.

rapidroman
09-29-2008, 01:54 PM
I spent one very special night after the races at Islip with Charlie J., later Richie came by and stayed, and Tom Baldwin joined the 3 of us later. It is still my favorite moment in racing that didn't take place on a race track.

All of them were just regular guys who loved racing, respected each other, and made the sport what it was in that era before 'factory' cars came along. Richie Evans was a joy to watch in a race car. If you watched him closely,as you could easily do on a small oval, it almost seemed as if he was out for a leisurely drive on the highway, rather than competing in a race. Yet he was intense about the mission at hand, winning, and as the record shows, he was good at it, absolutely the best of all time.

I've missed seeing him race all these years since, along with the other greats that the sport has lost over that time. Others have come along to fill the void, but they are as unique as Richie, Charlie, Tommy and all the others, with none being near the same as those 3 guys.

Yeah, it feels good to write something this good about racing, and it's still modifieds that I love to watch the most. "Vanilla" Cup just doesn't do it for me anymore.

while in florida, i met dick anderson. florida short track legend. awesome person. love racing. old school. perfect. he said the same thing as you, that when richie came to town, they had the most fun together and then go and race each other. richie had that. i saw him many times let someone drive his teamcar and compete in the same race against them.

wow, those were the days for nascar. and i am so glad that even while nascar tries to squelch out the success of the modifieds, or at least the publicity of them, that it still survives. i only wish that the 100,000's that gather throughout the year and watch the taxi cabs would know what real racing is. only the few that find the modifieds will ever know real racing... and real people.

Jill
09-29-2008, 02:57 PM
amazing. i have been to your sons website weeks ago. i found it, because on it, he has a picture of a richie evans picture and quote that says, "we're just passing through, so while you're here, you got to leave your mark." i became a fan and follower of rich kuiken jr because he put that picture on his site. i love it.

i went to new smyrna speedway to speak with the owner. i told them to leave that painting of richie evans on the wall forever. amazing. thanks for the bart wheels site.

That panel was off of Eric Beers' car at New Smyrna back in 2007. Rich Jr. drove one of Terry Zacharias' cars there and Terry was helping Eric Beers. He happened to park near our car and they took the panel off that's when we took the picture. Eric had it on his car as a tribute to Richie for the Richie Evans Memorial Race. We thought that was pretty cool.

Here's the link to the picture: http://richkuikenjr.com/support/photos/2007/smyrna/DCP_0008.jpg

MOD JUNKIE
09-29-2008, 05:23 PM
I agree that this is a nice thread, I still picture the orange #61 passing on the inside or out to get to the front. Will always be the best I ever saw.

rapidroman
09-29-2008, 06:20 PM
I agree that this is a nice thread, I still picture the orange #61 passing on the inside or out to get to the front. Will always be the best I ever saw.

true. me too. the way he "diamonded" the track so he could get a run off the turn was amazing. the way he shifted gears at pocono. i still remember him at new egypt (1/4 mi oval), yes 1/4 mile, what a bull ring, what finesse getting to the front. john blewett III and i playing trucks in the sand behind the flagger as richie and john blewett jr raced with wayne anderson, fred h., alan h., bob park, jerry cook, tony siscone, jamie tomaino, spencer, bodine, sacks... wowee. those were the days. i loved it. what a rush to see the rapid roman. i loved to see that ford econoline roll in to the pits with the swamp holly orange pinto on the back. what a humble guy.

i always wondered why the blue on the later bodyworks in the stripes. gene had bought a new truck. was going to paint it evans orange. richie said, don't do it. i'll just put some blue in the stripes to match. so... blue truck it was in the later years.

recently i saw a friend i hadn't seen in a while. i said, "ken, how you been?" he replied, "good-n-you." yes, it was great to see my friend, but to hear him say in the same inflection... "good-n-you." that made my day.

TJ1976
10-11-2008, 06:50 AM
Modifieds are where the real racers and real people are at. I could care less about the cupcake series and their crybaby drivers. Its a shame the Modifieds don't have a voice like Richie Evans to go up against corporate NASCAR.

W. J.
10-11-2008, 12:53 PM
Richie wasn't the only one who spoke up. Tiger Tom Baldwin was widely known for expressing his opinion on what was right or wrong in the Modified series. What a shame both are gone.

TJ1976
10-11-2008, 10:57 PM
Is there anyone who would stand up to NASCAR now to get recognition for the modifieds?

randomrodder
10-12-2008, 02:39 AM
Put big butt wings on them for advertisering and NASCAR will listen to the $$$$$$. Money talks and NASCAR has big ears when it comes to money.

TJ1976
10-12-2008, 05:00 AM
ahh yes...the old money talks, b/s walks saying. I guess the modifieds must be considered b/s by nascar's standards

MOD JUNKIE
10-12-2008, 09:42 AM
I agree but the Martinsville race on speed was covered pretty good [except for not being a live broadcast] Its almost to a point that us Modified fans are part of a "cult" following. Going back to the Rapid Roman, have many here read "Richie!" by Bones Bourcier ? its a great read.

Tooner
10-12-2008, 03:10 PM
One of my favorite pics, Richie after winning at New Egypt in 1985, enjoying his champagne :cheers:

http://www.wallspeedway.com/richieevans_champagne_ne85.jpg

rapidroman
02-07-2009, 12:48 PM
speedweeks. new smyrna. does anyone know if the wall painting of richie is still there?

outlawfab
02-07-2009, 02:37 PM
yes it is .

rapidroman
02-07-2009, 02:59 PM
yes it is .

thanks for the quick reply.

mattphoto
02-07-2009, 07:08 PM
I was at the Frank Marietta show today and saw a Richie Evans custom bike. It looked pretty cool !!!! Former Riverisde Park Pro Stock Driver Lou Prior built the bike.

Luke S.
02-08-2009, 09:05 AM
Here's a few pics of Richie that I did a few years ago. It's airbrushed on a 24" X 18" aluminum panel. Sorry about the poor pic quality. Painting is clear coated. Glare is bad. Hard to get good photos of it.

MJProcko
02-08-2009, 03:00 PM
I got a nice Richie Evans T-shirt out of the CC trailer Friday night regarding the Richie Evans memorial race this Friday. A good idea might be a mod reunion shirt with some of the classic cars of some of the attendees!

jandj
02-10-2009, 10:20 PM
Richie was one of the greats and liked wherever he went.
I was lucky enough to be at Martinsville when he and Bodine got together coming off 4 and Richie rode the wall for the win, I don't think I heard the fans there cheer any louder than they did for him that day.
I can still remember hearing the sad news on the radio a few years later.
I was all revved up for another fall Martinsville and that just took all the joy out of the trip.

outlawfab
02-15-2009, 12:54 PM
here it is

Steve in NC
02-16-2009, 12:39 AM
the night before martinsville i go into kohl's looking for an "evans orange" color shirt. the only thing i could find was a vintage hamburger shirt. i got it. get to the track. i see a car in the parking lot painted evans orange (yes, i want to meet you).

I know who that man is!! He is a crew member that works on one of the vintage cars from the Southern Ground Pounders here in NC. He is originally from Stafford Springs, Ct. Phil should be at Orange County Speedway for the Frost Bite 100 if you are going to be there. If not he will be at the North/South Shootout in Nov. Or just about any other modified show somewhere close to NC.

Phil is a character. There is a picture of the hood of his RX7 with an airbrushed image of Richie in his Cavalier bodied modified on Speed 51 if you look in the archives for the NNS last fall.

"When modifieds ruled and Evans was the king"....... But to me that should read... "Modifieds still rule and Evans will always be the king!"

RIP Champ!

Steve

jandj
02-16-2009, 02:34 PM
Phil is a character. There is a picture of the hood of his RX7 with an airbrushed image of Richie in his Cavalier bodied modified on Speed 51 if you look in the archives for the NNS last fall.

I saw the car in the parking lot at Concord last fall, one cool ride!
I've always thought Ray Hendrick was the best mod shoe I ever saw, but I have the ultimate respect for Richie and what he accomplished.

rapidroman
03-02-2009, 08:48 AM
I know who that man is!! He is a crew member that works on one of the vintage cars from the Southern Ground Pounders here in NC. He is originally from Stafford Springs, Ct. Phil should be at Orange County Speedway for the Frost Bite 100 if you are going to be there. If not he will be at the North/South Shootout in Nov. Or just about any other modified show somewhere close to NC.

"When modifieds ruled and Evans was the king"....... But to me that should read... "Modifieds still rule and Evans will always be the king!"

RIP Champ!

Steve

thanks so much. our paths will cross. we have a 41k honda odyssey van i am leaning so heavily on my wife to let me paint it swamp holly orange. i give thumbs up to every "yellow" trucking co driver. and i love the new mustang with it too. i saw his car at martinsville. i believe the rx7. my thoughts and sentiment exactly. can't even see the iroc evans orange car anymore... no iroc.

stefanikfan
03-03-2009, 05:14 PM
Growing up in the late 70's and early 80's Richie was the best. There was no one better than he. Unfortunatey, I never got the chance to meet him. I feel that I got to know him through Bone's words in the book.

Through a good friend, Jeff Fuller sent a momento of Richie home to me. It's a Martinsville award given to Richie in '79 for the most laps led. It's old and tarnished but it sure looks beautiful to me sitting atop my shelf in my basement/kart shop! One of my most cherished items.

Rob,
aka, Stefanikfan:cheers:

rapidroman
03-03-2009, 05:24 PM
Growing up in the late 70's and early 80's Richie was the best. There was no one better than he. Unfortunatey, I never got the chance to meet him. I feel that I got to know him through Bone's words in the book.

Through a good friend, Jeff Fuller sent a momento of Richie home to me. It's a Martinsville award given to Richie in '79 for the most laps led. It's old and tarnished but it sure looks beautiful to me sitting atop my shelf in my basement/kart shop! One of my most cherished items.

Rob,
aka, Stefanikfan:cheers:

that is awesome. i saw a pair of richie's and billy's pit passes on ebay. i missed the close. i guess? i wish i bought them. all i have is a picture of richie and i when i was 9 years old. man, i love the way he "diamonded" the track to get a run. i remember just seeing the top of his roof on the outside of cook... ooh, baby. i remember morris metcalf asking repeatedly... "do we have a scorer for richie tonight?" richie was never big on details i guess. haha.