PDA

View Full Version : No LATE MODELS!!!!!!

jemalfano
10-17-2008, 04:26 PM
I have just heard....LATE MODELS HAVE BEEN DROPPED from the schedule at Riverhead and ARE NOT BEING REPLACED BY ANY OTHER DIVISION!!!! I know that some people may be happy and some may be upset about this. I don't really care about that. What I care about is that now is the time we need to stick together as a racing community, or more to the point as a family. We all need to make as much noise as we can about this decision to the track office. If the late models have been dropped, who is next. The writing is on the wall folks, and unless we do something about it we will all loose out in the end. Please get everyone you know to send e-mails to the powers that be at the track office. You can find the e-mail link at the bottom of the riverhead raceway web site. PLEASE DON"T LET THIS DIVISION DIE!!!

Kenny Alfano

maestri fan 1
10-17-2008, 04:35 PM
WOW...... didn't think this would happen.... It's ashame, this is a great division, too bad the car counts weren't up, otherwise this wouldn't have happened.

unowho243
10-17-2008, 05:46 PM
that is complete Bull$hit if u ask me

Ka$h25
10-17-2008, 06:57 PM
Scratch that. :-\

KnK Racing
10-17-2008, 07:07 PM
sorry to say it but i heard during this past season that they were going to drop either the late models or the figure 8's for 2009

W. J.
10-17-2008, 08:49 PM
I guess I need to retract this afternoon's statement.

What a sad day for local racing and local racers if this comes to pass.:mad::mad::mad:

Jeff T
10-17-2008, 09:54 PM
It's a sad day for Long Island racing. Why does Riverhead feel they need to drop the Late Models, so they can add more circus acts???? It's very unfortunate that we don't have the support of the track management to continue the division. We have put on some of the most competitive races, even with a small field of cars. If we had some solid backing and consistant officiating from our Chief Stewards, maybe there would not have been so many cars that have left the track. Just ask Mighty Mike Mortimer, Greg Kelila, Sean Case, Mike Coll, Kenny Matlach and Bobby Baker just why they have not returned to the track. I'm sure each of them will mirror just what I have stated above. I don't want to put these other divisions on the spot, but for years, the Figure 8's and the trucks have had dismal car counts similar to this years Late Model fields, yet for years the track has supported them and kept these divisions alive. Now these two divisions, especially the trucks, have rebounded to having healthy to semi heathly car counts each week. Shouldn't the track management give the Late Model division the same chance? Why throw us under the bus when you've been so patient with the trucks and F-8's.
Give us the same opportunity. The division as a whole took great strides in trying to build a healthier division this year with the winter meetings. I saw more cooperation this year both on and off the track between all the Late Model teams. Even if the division got 2 shows per month, it still would be a place for us to race and it would still be a place for our sponsors to stay involved on a local level. Now if we are forced to travel out of state to compete, we will most certainly lose any sponsorship that we have because a local to Long Island sponsor isn't going to support a team that is not racing someplace where his money will draw customers to his or hers businesses.
This much I do know as fact: If Riverhead definately does drop the division, I for one, will not be spending my 33rd season in racing at Riverhead, as I have for the past 32 seasons. My children, both who have been joining me at the track weekly, have also decided on their own, that they also will not patronize Riverhead Raceway if the division is dropped. So it seems that if there is no Late Model division at Riverhead Raceway, that this Tuthill family will not be at Riverhead Raceway either. That also means that this is $1500.00 less that the Cromarty's will be making this year. It may not seem like much, but if you multiply that same $1500.00 that my family spends each year at Riverhead Raceway by the amount of crew members, their families, friends, sponsors, and fans, it's going to add up to a whole lot of $$$$ that they won't be making this year.

RacerGirl39
10-17-2008, 10:21 PM
All i have to say is that this is totally ridiculous. i dont understand why you would think that by taking the latemodels away it will benefit you. From where I'm standing i think that the track will lose money. They will lose fans. In my opinion the latemodels were one of the most exciting races on saturday nights. It wasn't one of those races where you knew who the winner would be before the race even started. There are many talented drivers in this division and i dont understand why you would basically throw them away, expecially after all the effort with the meetings to try to make the division better. I hope that the managment of riverhead raceway decides to change there minds because if they dont i know for a fact that my family will not be back.:mad:

Turn2Guru
10-17-2008, 11:21 PM
Let's do some simple math here, Figure 12 teams average 4 members per team. $30 each to get through the pit gate, anyone, anyone, thats $1440 per week. Now lets figure each team averages 6 fans in the stands, thats another 72 people, don't get ahead of me here, that is another $1800 a week.
Tires, yup the tire guy loses money here too. Say 6 out of 12 teams buy 4 tires a week, $564 a set or $3384.00. The other 6 teams only buy 2 tires a week, still another $1,692 a week. Lets see how much we lose dropping the late models so far, and we haven't even bought gas yet, WOW, thats $8316.00 a week for a division that gets $475 to win. I know that the track doesn't get all the tire money, but I would think Ed Partridge would have a say about the money he spent to get into the tire business and they just took $5076.00 a week out of his pocket. I know it is not all profit people, just making an observation here. For a division that pays out so much each week to get back so little, what is the possible reasoning for dropping them? It can't be that the Late Models were costing the track money, I just showed you with minimal numbers of people how much they pay in each week. I am sure there are alot more people on teams and in stands not accounted for here too. The Late Models have the least amount of fights in the pits, all the cars are kept relatively nice each week. It make no sense to me, why drop this division. Can anyone explain this decision? I think we at least deserve an explanation on how they came to this point. Low car counts, BS. They kept the Trucks & Figure Eights when their counts were down. I recall when the trucks started there were only like two or three trucks for the season. How do you justify disolving a group of people who pay you each week to come and race at your track, burn their own gas driving hours to your track, maintain all their own equipment so you have a decent show each week that you can sell tickets to the general public to come and watch them race at your track. The purse to win in a Late Model doesn't even come close to what each team pays out each week at your track. They aren't in this to make money, they do it because they love it, and you killed them, Why? Has anyone asked Oval Speed, or TS Haulers, or Sunoco what they think about this decision, after all they have many years of dedicated service at the track and now they are losing money also. Bad all around. Two thumbs down on this people, no matter how you look at it, this makes no sense.

maestri fan 1
10-18-2008, 12:15 AM
Who knows, maybe Riverhead has some bigger and better ideas up there sleeves. Now I will also say, i'm very upset to see this division go. They for the most part have had great racing, and as an observer, i've noticed how much effort Roger Oxee has put into this division. He did turn this division around in a good way. Unfortunatly though, the car count was very poor as all people noticed. Money of course was a big issue, this economy as all of you know has taken a turn for the worse. As far as those who run the track, I can't see that being too much of an issue, that has taken a pretty decent turn for the better. And as far as those who race, I can only think of 1-2 drivers that may have pushed others away. With a miracle, this economy could take a turn for the better and who knows, maybe the Late Models will be put back on the schedule, and hopefully a higher car count. Hey who knows, the glass is half full, not half empty.

smiley27414
10-18-2008, 01:33 AM
thsi is bs!!!!!! we love to go and watch scott run. this really sucks!!!!!!!!!!! so now they need to add teh legends or do something.

jeffrey
10-18-2008, 08:09 AM
you late model guys had to see this coming.they have been talking about dropping the late models for at least 3 years now.and I'm going to say this now if the charger car count docent go up this year they will be next to go.they are going to bring in the sk mods. 2010 the sk mods will be there.the late models where great in there time.but now its time for change.:applause::applause:

outlawfab
10-18-2008, 09:07 AM
:disgusted:mad::disgusted:mad::disgusted:mad:

RacinRob
10-18-2008, 09:22 AM
ok so now say you guys get what you want....you will have 10-12 sk cars that will show up from time to time and they will be racing for lets say around what the late models got paid...which was what 600 bucks? I honestly dont know correct me if im wrong. Anyway back to my point if you can go to Connecticut and race for over a 1000 dollars and race with 20+ cars than who the heck is gonna race an sk car at riverhead. I am not opposed to trying them out but atleast alternate them with the late models so these poor guys with cars dont have 20,000 dollar trophies and souveniers. Let them race.:disgusted

jeffrey
10-18-2008, 09:38 AM
to all that think Riverhead is going to lose money by dropping the late models.you are all wrong.if you look up SEC 317 in the 700 billion bail out plain that was just past.you will see that all motor sports racing track facility's get a seven year cost recovery period.this plain helps out Riverhead in a big way.so they can afford to let the late models go.and try to bring something else in.if its the sk or another.but Riverhead will be there for at least another 7 years.:wave:

Golf Guy
10-18-2008, 10:06 AM
Well I guess you all know how I feel about this. I feel it is absolutely a terrible decision by Riverhead. Guy's like Roger Oxee, Sean Patrick, Kevin Metzger, and Buzzy Eriksen to name a few support the track for so long and now it is bye, bye. If indeed this is Riverhead's decision, I for one am done with spending my money there.

Dennisc
10-18-2008, 11:08 AM
So when will the official news be up? I checked riverheadraceway.com and it looks like it's hardly ever updated.

chris061
10-18-2008, 11:52 AM
I know it sucks! But go run mountain a week or two out of the month,You actually get paid there and you will actually spend less money going there with tolls,gas, and such then running at the favortism drome! Listen it sure is upsetting to see a division that i have been watching for ever get dropped like that, but from a drivers standpoint, its alot less stress when you go to a track and all the cars are treated equal, then coming here and getting a headache! I hope it all works out in the end! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Turn2Guru
10-18-2008, 11:57 AM
Jeffrey,
If you read what it states the Motorsports Facilities have been on this 7 Year Tax Depreciation Classification for 7 years now. What was "passed" was an extension for another 2 years. The worry is, that if this Tax-Relief is not extended, the amount of capital flowing into the racetracks will diminish, the tracks will become less active, and all the money that they bring into the surrounding communities will be reduced. I don't think the Cromarty's reason for dumping the Late Model Division was because they will be getting a Tax break for another two years. If they do plan on replacing them with the SK's this makes no sense either. People stated that the LM and Chargers look to much alike. Hey, LM used aftermarket bodies long before Chargers. So now you want to replace them with cars that look exactly like the Mods, pay them the same as the LM, and start out with less of a car count. When was that decision made, 4:55pm on a Friday. Still makes no sense. Bring back the Late Models or every devision will be in line for extinction. They have Raindates for Enduros and Demos, but no rain date for Championship night in the LM or Modified Divisions, supposedly the two top divisions at Riverhead. Keep the letters and Emails flowing, LM deserve to race as much as any other division out there. No division is going to magically come on board and fix all the problems with the track. Keep this in mind though, If they do bring in the SK's how long will they put up with the BS before they leave and race at other tracks that they will be legal at? Once they start getting the bad calls and frustration sets in they will leave, and why not, they are racing out of state now and for alot more money.

catfish
10-18-2008, 01:05 PM
The amazing part is they are talking about bringing in the SK's, well if i am not mistaken most guys who bought SK's did so to race less frequently at more facilities, to race at a larger track and to get away from the Riverhead B.S.. And now what makes people believe that they(all 7 or 8) will come running back to the same old B.S. and race on a bullring for spit. Personally I could care less what they do as the place is a joke and always will be, but the drivers for this division are not new comers most of them have supported the track for years, many years at that, and this is the way you show them respect. Fiqure 8's, Chargers and even to an extent Mod's have struggled with car counts recently but they are still welcome. W T F :confused:

catfish
10-18-2008, 01:08 PM
PS: And one more thing, how long before they change the rules on the RR SK's so they can compete nowhere but at RR, think about it they have done with almost every other division and then you are back in the same leaky boat.

Hotsauce
10-18-2008, 01:12 PM
I don't see any cold hard evidence that the Late Models are done. Until we see proof in a press release from Riverhead Raceway, than this is all speculation. Maybe JA or Tracy can e-mail the track for verification.

top row crew
10-18-2008, 02:01 PM
all figure eights drivers please come to the guillitine area ur next good ridance have a nice life. :cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

top row crew
10-18-2008, 02:06 PM
all figure 8 haulers please head to route 495 west immeadiatly and dont come back:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

nflobster
10-18-2008, 05:06 PM
perhaps they (sk type) will put on the quality shows like at stafford:rolleyes:
they wreckem worse than the lm's at the head. and on another note i really don't think too many would show up to race for the same purse ($425?). would that cover a set of tires for a grand enduro ? time will tell

jemalfano
10-18-2008, 05:13 PM
It's true, if you don't believe, call oval speed. He got it from the one person who would know before anyone else.

RACENUT
10-18-2008, 06:57 PM
This Year The Late Models And Chargers Had A Poor Showing Of Cars, Makeing Both Divisions Very Boring, If Only The Head Could Come Up With Away To Combine The Two Divisions To Make One Good One.

Tom Rogers
10-18-2008, 08:32 PM
Riverhead raceway strikes again:mad::mad: You know I have grown up at this track and love to be there every sat night but with the track politics and the track owners that don't care about the racers, owners, and fans it is hard to keep going back every year. I am tired of hearing everyone say on here that we the owners and drivers would race for free!!! Thats BS!!! Why don't you go to work for free? The way this track treats its drivers, fans, and sponsors is the reason why you have low car counts and no track sponsors. You think that a sponsor doesn't see the politics at the track? They do and most likely won't return for another season which might be the sponsor or sponsors needed to keep that team racing. We have about 12 Modifieds that don't race at Riverhead because of the politics and BS that goes on there. We had a LM driver that no one even knew about that was racing at Mountain Speedway most of the year in 2008 that came out to Riverhead the last 4 weeks or so. Why was he not racing at Riverhead the entire year?? Hmmmm, maybe because of the crap and nonsense that goes on at Riverhead. Now if you are going to add a division (like SK's or any other), then put the Enduros back on Sundays. Sorry guy's the track makes more money that way, ya know for those really great pay-offs we get and those nice point fund checks. Oh I'm sorry that we didn't get. :mad::mad::mad: You could have the the LM, Chargers, Trucks and (SK's if added) all run 12 races a year if the schedule was done properly but then again who am I kidding the track can't even make a rule book or consistent calls:mad::mad::mad: Tech officals can't make a call unless they discuss it first with someone that doesn't know the rule book at all. But that's well known fact why brake track tradition. Why not bring back some people like Bruce Noll, Gravel, and Mike Scaritto. O there again they did what they thought was right and got fired for it! We need a chief stewert that will make consistent calls (would love to see someone like Robin, Don Howe or Paul Dodorico). I like the post about how well Chris was treated at lee. (Riverhead better take notice). I have been to many tracks, have been treated the same as Chris, if not better!!! And you wonder why these teams travel:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: O and bye the way I was never charged more than 20 dollars to get in, with bigger pay-offs too imagine that!!! I have also had track owners call me personally to find out if I would be back (about once a month). Don't hold your breath on Riverhead raceway ever doing that! As u can tell I am not happy with the way the track is being run into the ground. I am not happy with the politics with the track and will be traveling next year since there will be no LM (thank you Riverhead for relieving my stress in 2009). I'm not the tracks favorite person in the world no matter how much i tried to help them (there is no talking to these people they know what we all want).:disgusted

DriveitinDeep
10-18-2008, 08:55 PM
well this is great news to receive when you're 11,000 miles from home. So much for the word of the officials that we would be back 2009 and that you have nothing to worry about. We'll discuss everything at the winter meetings. Yeah right.
Well Riverhead it's been fun. It will be very different taking the green flag elsewhere but what can you do as nothing stays the same. Yes I do believe that the powers at be have made a great error in judgement, but it is their sandbox.
Have I totally given up, no way. If you want the LM's back, now is the time to ban together. We need a flood of pleasant non threatning letters and calls to the track asking for the LM's back. These calls must be from everyone not just the drivers and crews but EVERYONE

thanks

Roger Oxee

W. J.
10-18-2008, 09:12 PM
It's $475 to win, Rob.

The race tracks that get the govt. giveaway of OUR money will not be the small Saturday night ones like Riverhead. It will be the newer and bigger ones. Places like Riverhead have been around long enough that they are already 100% depreciated.

Jeff T
10-19-2008, 10:03 AM
For those who wish to let the Riverhead Raceway owners and management know how we feel about their decision to drop the Late Model division can call them at (631) 842-7223, or write them at:

RIVERHEAD RACEWAY
P.O.BOX 148
LINDENHURST, NEW YORK 11757

RovinPromotions
10-19-2008, 12:32 PM
Ok as some of you know,i've been responsible for sponsors on not only roger oxee's car,but 5 other cars as well.The decision to axe the late models is real shot in the a$$. I fought hard with sponsors to spend their money even in this economy.But as the state of the economy deepens into the abyss,one can only wonder who can prosper through adversity.I can only tell my guys to keep their chins up,and hope for the best.:wave:

Vinny/ Rovin Promotions

allhailunc
10-20-2008, 05:19 AM
Gee what else is new Riverwreck making bonehead decisions.Late models,while declining in attendance,have always been a staple of the track-but when you get 10-12 cars on a regular basis it's a wise decision(Riverhead making a wise decision now that's funny:lol:).sorry to see this happen.what next?the beer stand in turn 1 closed?:(

hollywoodmic
10-20-2008, 10:49 AM
As Roger said if you don't want to loose this division, email the racetrack, constructivley. An email like Brian's (post) or Tommy's (post) will not work. Great points, by both guys but it's that old "you get more with honey than vinigar". I do again want to say I don't disagree with what either guy said, I just know how it works here. Sometimes people need to hear how important to racers this division is. Just a small example two years ago you couldn't bring anything into the racetrack, everyone read on this forum to send emails & letters, they changed the policy. I know this is a much bigger fish, but as Roger said don't give up. Hey maybe if the fences could have been mended with the drivers that Jeff T spoke about, we wouldn't even be having this discussion. It is a shame to see this division end, but try to get it back before loosing the fight.

Steve Halpin

jeffrey
10-20-2008, 05:34 PM
I'm giving Riverhead two Thumbs up for this one.its time for change.maybe Riverhead read my posts from last year about the late models.hey wheres all the guys that said last year that they would run for free.HEY Tom Rogers I told them that they where full of BS to.no one runs for free.but hey guys heres your chance.I bet they would let you all run for free now.and by the way there is politics at every track.just have to run there long enough to see it.and this is not here to bash the drivers.great drivers just dont like the division.the late model guys would make great SK drivers.you all now tom Rogers would be great in one.and you all now oxee can win in anything he drives.so come on guys sell the late model and get your self an SK.the late models where great in there time.but now its time to move on to bigger and better things.good bye to the late models.:applause:

fisherman
10-20-2008, 06:07 PM
somebody should make a list to give the track of all the guys that left in the last 5 years i bet if you count all divisions its about 50 or more full time guys:lol::lol::lol:and i bet about 90 percent left for the same reason

Golf Guy
10-20-2008, 06:15 PM
I'm giving Riverhead two Thumbs up for this one.its time for change.maybe Riverhead read my posts from last year about the late models.hey wheres all the guys that said last year that they would run for free.HEY Tom Rogers I told them that they where full of BS to.no one runs for free.but hey guys heres your chance.I bet they would let you all run for free now.and by the way there is politics at every track.just have to run there long enough to see it.and this is not here to bash the drivers.great drivers just dont like the division.the late model guys would make great SK drivers.you all now tom Rogers would be great in one.and you all now oxee can win in anything he drives.so come on guys sell the late model and get your self an SK.the late models where great in there time.but now its time to move on to bigger and better things.good bye to the late models.:applause:

Jeffrey since you are good at spending other peoples money, why don't you buy an SK and drive it or have someone drive it for you. Oh, and don't be surprised if the SK's are not there next year and you have to sell it to drive something else. But don't worry, it's just money.

Fine Line
10-20-2008, 06:21 PM
The Late Models basically do race for free. Weekly expenses far outweigh any purse offered at Riverhead. I for one ran all last season out of my own pocket, no sponsor help at all, I did 4 tires a week and my car did not go without anything that was needed. It would make no difference to me if there was no purse, it is not like winning would even pay for your night anyway. I believe the drivers and owners who field cars at Riverhead do it for the love of racing and not the dollars, why else would we throw money at these cars to keep them going. I started racing again this year after 3 season off to help this division out, I AM A LATE MODEL DRIVER, not a SK driver or a Charger driver nor would I want to be. Being negative toward this division will not help in us trying to stop the management at Riverhead Raceway from pushing us away. I for one hope they see their wrong doing and give us some shows. We did not put on that many bad shows last season, and some of the drivers are outspoken but no more that any other division.

The Late Models do not deserve to be pushed away.

Chris La Spisa #7 Late Model

Jeff T
10-20-2008, 06:23 PM
Jeffrey, it's easier said that done to "sell the Late Model" and buy an SK. For one, most Riverhead Late Models are just that-RIVERHEAD LATE MODELS. The track had set up the rules in such a way that many years ago that the cars that run at Riverhead will stay at Riverhead...a captive division so to speak. But now that they feel they have no need for the division, we have a bunch of cars that can not run legally at any other track without costly changes to them. So the "Sell The Late Model" idea just doesn't fly here. You will either be selling a car for pennies on a dollar to get rid of it, or spending more money to try and make it legal to race elsewhere. If you should chose to run elsewhere, then you not only do you pay for costly conversions (mainly engine components), then you are now looking at the added expense of traveling on a regular basis. Go to Mountain-4 hours, plus tolls and additional fuel, possibly meals and hotels. Go to Thompson, Lee or Seekonk- Better add the cost of $150 each way ferry ride from Orient Point, or additional fuel costs and travel time if you drive around. Which either way any Late Model team chooses to go, it is a severe lose, not to mention the loss of local sponsors who we all have supporting our teams. We built these cars to race at Riverhead, we have supported the track for 20+ years, yet we have no say in our future. One driver was told a week before the ax was swung by one of the Chief Stewards that "Yes, he was 99% sure that the Late Models would return for 2009". I guess that 1% won out, Huh? It would have been nice if they had come to the division as a whole and said that they would be phasing the division out in a certain time frame, but I am guessing that they never took that option into consideration. They have done the same thing to the Late Models that they did to the Mini Modifieds many years ago-killed the division without consideration for those who brought paying customers to your front door every week (Bob Finan should know what it feels like to have your division chopped out from under you since he was the official announcer for the Mini Modified division).
Now for buying an SK theory. Although they car is called an "SK", it is still more expensive that a Late Model to run. A friend of mine drove an SK at Stafford several years ago in a deal in which he owned the motor, and the other person owned the car. He said that the motors needed to be freshened about 2 times in a season at a cost of about $7000 per freshen up. Because of the stock based parts in the motor, you needed to replace more than just rings and bearings. The initial cost of the motor at that time was $16,000. Let's look at this factor also....everytime you tear a right front corner off the car, you will owe Dennis at Oval Speed another $800-$1,200 for parts to replace the damaged ones, depending on how much you can salvage. Whether it is a full blown Tour Type Modified, or an SK, the bottom line is this-a modified is more expensive than a Late model to run, period. With that in mind, ask yourself this question...can you see people like J-Rod, Shawn Patrick, Chris LaSpisa, Artie Peterson, and Mike Bolongna being able to afford a modified, SK or any other type, on the limited budget that they have to race on? Even if they could sell their Late Model's, and say they get more that pennies on a dollar for that car, would they be able to financially support a Modified? Tire bills will be more expensive, parts are more expensive, everything about them is more expensive, period. (I should know, I worked with a Modified team for 7 years)
I hate to pee in your Cheerio's Jeffrey, but your theory of "Sell & Buy", just doesn't work in this case. The only thing that is truly financially feasable for every team competing in the Late Model division, that is to return to Riverhead Raceway to compete, even if it is on a limited schedule.

P.S.-You've made it very clear that you do not like the Late Models. I think it's time to stop beating that dead horse. Not everyone is a fan of every division. Please give us the courtesy to let us people who do like the division a chance to try and salvage something without negative comments being present.

RacinRob
10-20-2008, 07:33 PM
Guys its not even worth wasting your time to respong to Jeffrey all he does is ruffle peoples feathers and type irattional garbage. Just another person from the sidelines. :mad:

RacinRob
10-20-2008, 07:35 PM
also the late models were great in there time? You act like late models are a vinatge division lolol....:disgusted

DriveitinDeep
10-20-2008, 07:38 PM
Well said Jeff.
You all know my feelings about the Late Models. They are a division worth saving.
I want to thank all the guys who tried to make this division stronger by coming out this season. The racing for the most part was good with only one bad night coming to mind. You guys raced hard and for the most part clean, putting on some good side by side racing which doesn't always happen in the other divisions
Thanks to Kenny, Scott, Doug, Artie, Tommy, Shawn, Chris, Mike B. Mike C. & Sean ( wish you hadn't gotten pissed off and left, Buzzy, occasional Kyle,
Dave (only if it was once) Bob Baker,Rob T for the visit from down South.
Who knows if it would have made a difference if Mighty Mike & Greg had returned but it sure wouldnlt have hurt.
I know I left someone out but ... sorry.
Keep those phone calls, email and letters going to the RR office. Our back gate pays for our purse so we really don't cost them much if anything to run.
Don't give up. Oh yeah one more thing, Jeffrey....keep your negative opinions to yourself. I truly don't think the powers at be paid any attention to your mispelled ramblings so don't keep patting yourself on the back

Roger Oxee

wayne
10-20-2008, 09:14 PM
lololololo

nobandwagonhere
10-20-2008, 09:23 PM
Jeffrey Jeffrey Jeffrey!:help::help:

W. J.
10-20-2008, 09:46 PM
This is not a totally done deal, from what I was told yesterday by a Riverhead Track official. There is still an opportunity to save something here, no matter how small it may seem. As Hollywoodmic pointed out in an earlier post, respectful conversation and dialog can help change people's minds. It seems most on here would like to see that happen, and the few who don't, well, if the LM's are saved, they can always use that racing time to visit the concession stands, grab a burger, golden Riverhead fries, and an ice cold Miller Lite, then go watch the unsupervised kids playing in the sand by the scoreboard until that race is over.
The rest of us that truly appreciate the quality of racing that has and could continue to take place if the matter is handled like adults should handle situations like this. A campaign of emails, letters, or phone calls just might help turn it around, but threats and irresponsible rantings will get you nowhere. Think about it, then do your part to help undo what many of us think is a big mistake. The choice is yours.

sobe
10-20-2008, 10:41 PM
wj there is always someone watching "the unsupervised kids" so dont write something that you know nothing about this is about saving the late models

wayne
10-21-2008, 05:13 AM
WJ,There are plenty of drunk people watching my kids over there.lol. Seriously , you know how many racecar drivers grew up playing over there!! And we are only 10 feet from our kids. We stand right there.

rydogg97
10-21-2008, 07:07 AM
quick question...whos going to watch jefferey while he plays in the sand unsupervised??:D

tstiles
10-21-2008, 09:21 AM
rob. i could not have said that better... this kid jeffrey seems to be quite " the $hit stirrer" . almost every time there is something negitive posted , this hater chimes in to exsaserbate the issue..... ,
Guys its not even worth wasting your time to respong to Jeffrey all he does is ruffle peoples feathers and type irattional garbage. Just another person from the sidelines. :mad:

Ellracin17x
10-21-2008, 09:29 AM
:mad:HATE TO HEAR THIS .IT HATE TO SEE LATE MODELS GO.I DONT THINK THEY HAVE TO. LET THE CHARGERS COMPETE WITH THE LATEMODELS!!!!!WE ALL LOOK TO STEP UP. JUST RUSH THE DICISION .YOU PUT ROGER OXEE ON AN 8" TIRE 4 RIMS @ $100.00 A PIECE = $400.00 GIVE ANY COMPETIVE CHARGER TODAY 81 89 37 66 17 ETC A FOUR 4 BARREL CARB COST 469.99 AND YOU WOULD HAVE A RACE.LOOK THE TRACK ALREADY STARTED TO CHANGE RULES FOR CHARGER FOR NEW OVER THE COUNTER FRONT CLIPS AND PARTS.THINK LIKE A RACER.THINK SMART.IT WILL WORK. THIS YEAR LET US COMPETE AND WE WILL ADJUST TO WHAT WE NEED FOR 2010 I PROMISE JIMMIJON 17X
:applause::applause::applause:

DriveitinDeep
10-21-2008, 07:33 PM
JJ, please send in your thoughts to the powers at be. We sort of did the same thing back in 1987 when the Street Stocks were converted into the LM's

The Bullfather
10-21-2008, 08:52 PM
If Jeffery keeps it up he'll be buried in the sandbox in turn 1, someday Wayne's kids will find him there, maybe the late model drivers will be nice and only burry him up to his neck. lol Besides I always see him in turn 3 looking into the pits to see all thoses beautiful late models! I feel a Bad News Bear chant coming on..."LET THEM PLAY, LET THEM PLAY, LET THEM PLAY!" I don't believe anything is final till the drop of the first green flag!

CheckerWon
10-21-2008, 09:54 PM
All I have to say is I hope this is NOT true... I guess we shall see if and when Riverhead make an announcement... Everyone in this Division are good people ... I was a rookie this year and they all treated me with RESPECT... I tried to race clean ,had a few incidents but for the most part tried to do a good job out there...When I wrecked the car in warm-ups I can't tell you how many people offered help!!! We missed opening night and finished every race from then on... with aot of help and advise along the way. I want to personally Thank all of the people drivers and crews in this division, and John Matlach for the help/sponsorship.and last but not least Dennis F. from Oval Speed and Fred from Sunoco were all terriffic. My point being is in this Division and all of the pit area People are willing to help each other anytime it's needed... Well folk's the time has come and it's needed ...Please take Rogers advise and write,call and speak to whoever you can to Save this division...I have been coming to this track ever since I was 7or 8 yrs. old ,running up the front strecth with my brothers and friends racing each other on feet ... I looked up to Roger Oxee and Buzzy Eriksen and Dan Turbush and Robin Vollmoeller, ect... back in the day and now finally had a chance to compete with some of them.... I am personally going to get a petition going to save this division I hope this will help keep it going for years to come.. Thanks Artie P.

Hollywood
10-22-2008, 12:41 PM
It costs money to make money... I've said it from the beginning... Raise the purse and the cars will follow... When the cars follow the front and back gate will follow, In turn, the sales of that Ice cold Miller lite will increase as well as the sales of the golden french fries and delicious Hot dogs. ETC ETC ETC.. Spend it to make it!

fisherman
10-22-2008, 05:41 PM
It costs money to make money... I've said it from the beginning... Raise the purse and the cars will follow... When the cars follow the front and back gate will follow, In turn, the sales of that Ice cold Miller lite will increase as well as the sales of the golden french fries and delicious Hot dogs. ETC ETC ETC.. Spend it to make it!

not a good time seek a pay raise just try to get races back

jemalfano
10-22-2008, 07:17 PM
I just recieved word that as of now, due to poor car counts, bad racing and negative e-mails to the track, the cromarty's decision stands. We need to make sure when we e-mail the track that the e-mails are on a positive note about keeping the late models. If we can't do this, the division is dead. Please don't bash people in our e-mails or the officials or the track. Just the decision to get rid of late models. I do know for one, if I am not racing a late model there, I will not race my modified there either. What ever happens, I will be purchasing a new race car for the 2009 season, where ever it may take me.

fisherman
10-23-2008, 03:59 PM
I just recieved word that as of now, due to poor car counts, bad racing and negative e-mails to the track, the cromarty's decision stands. We need to make sure when we e-mail the track that the e-mails are on a positive note about keeping the late models. If we can't do this, the division is dead. Please don't bash people in our e-mails or the officials or the track. Just the decision to get rid of late models. I do know for one, if I am not racing a late model there, I will not race my modified there either. What ever happens, I will be purchasing a new race car for the 2009 season, where ever it may take me.

jeffery stop your emails:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::help::help:

jeffrey
10-23-2008, 04:55 PM
i have not sent any emails to Riverhead about this.only sent one to ask them to please fix the score board.would you really like me to send one.i can tell them how much the late model guys like to be sh$t on.ever hear of the saying sh$t on me once shame on you.sh$t on me twice shame on me.sorry guys but they just took a big dump on you.and even if they let you back.you all would be the biggest a$$ i have ever seen.you can call me anything you like.but i now for one I would not let them sh$t on me again.I would tell them the big f.u.no late model guy in there right mind would come back after this.why waist more money knowing it would just be a matter of time before you all would be talking about this again.but hey fisherman if you would like me to send e-mails to them.ill send one every day just for u.maybe you guys should just close the late model thead anyway.what is there going to be to talk about.by by late models.sorry Jeff T i really liked your post.and i wasn't going to say anything more about this.was just going to let it go.but when you have the bullfarther saying what he said.and now people thinking I'm sending them e-mails not true.they couldn't read it anyway i cant spell.

fisherman
10-23-2008, 05:05 PM
:wave::(:cheers::cheers:
i have not sent any emails to Riverhead about this.only sent one to ask them to please fix the score board.would you really like me to send one.i can tell them how much the late model guys like to be sh$t on.ever hear of the saying sh$t on me once shame on you.sh$t on me twice shame on me.sorry guys but they just took a big dump on you.and even if they let you back.you all would be the biggest a$$ i have ever seen.you can call me anything you like.but i now for one I would not let them sh$t on me again.I would tell them the big f.u.no late model guy in there right mind would come back after this.why waist more money knowing it would just be a matter of time before you all would be talking about this again.but hey fisherman if you would like me to send e-mails to them.ill send one every day just for u.maybe you guys should just close the late model thead anyway.what is there going to be to talk about.by by late models.sorry Jeff T i really liked your post.and i wasn't going to say anything more about this.was just going to let it go.but when you have the bullfarther saying what he said.and now people thinking I'm sending them e-mails not true.they couldn't read it anyway i cant spell.

JEFF YOUR FUS HAVE NO MERIT OR YOU WOULD HAVE FU THIS FORUM ALREADT:applause::applause::applause::lol::lol::lo l::lol::lol::*-(:*-(:*-(:*-(:angel::angel::angel::cool::cool::drool::drool::h elp:

LeadingEdgeFab
10-23-2008, 06:39 PM
I guess i don't have to worry about finishing the new car ?

W. J.
10-25-2008, 12:16 PM
Strange, but with all that has been said here, there is NO announcement on Riverhead's website. Bob Finan's last "Eye on Riverhead" said the new schedule would be announced soon. I wonder when that is exactly?

Rubbin&Racin
10-27-2008, 12:42 PM
After reading all 5 pages of this and from page one and the first announcement I was shocked and so disappointed that they would end the Late Models....as WJ said nothing has been posted so to me it's hear say. Let's hear it from the C's or Bob Finan before everyone gets so up set. Keep those letters on a positive note going to the Track & Mr. & Mrs. C....you get a lot more with honey, so spread it thick. I would hate to see no more Late Models, what a shame this would be so until you hear from higher up think positive....We want the Late Models to Race at Riverhead for 2009 and forever.....Rubbin is Racin so lets keep the Late Models Running. PLEASE!!!!

Jo & Andy Lokkeberg
LM #84

DriveitinDeep
10-27-2008, 12:50 PM
I just got an email from Barbara & Jim in response to a email I sent them asking to meet with them. They said they would gladly speak with me but their decision on dropping the Late Models is final.
Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. Hopefully there will be be a new 5-6 race Nelma series next season to fill the void.

s

Golf Guy
10-27-2008, 12:51 PM
Everyone please go to Riverheadraceway.com and state why you want the Late Models to remain at RH. No bashing, foul language. Come on lets get as many as possible- but keep it positive!!! We can save the Late Models.

Jaws
10-27-2008, 06:19 PM
I just got an email from Barbara & Jim in response to a email I sent them asking to meet with them. They said they would gladly speak with me but their decision on dropping the Late Models is final.
Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. Hopefully there will be be a new 5-6 race Nelma series next season to fill the void.

When do they plan on announcing it officially? Teams have bought equipment I am sure for next year and if they want to race other places will have to spend a bit more (Except many be Mountain) Mountain gave the Wall guys a place to run maybe they will do the same for the Riverhead teams.

I know their numbers shrank but they still put on a pretty good show when I was there.

DriveitinDeep
10-28-2008, 08:24 AM
I would imagine Finan will give the official word today on the Eye

WEEZER
10-28-2008, 10:31 AM
This weeks area auto racing news has a article in dave sammons column about sk's at riverhead doing 6 to 10 races possibly.

W. J.
10-28-2008, 02:22 PM
This weeks area auto racing news has a article in dave sammons column about sk's at riverhead doing 6 to 10 races possibly.
S-K type Mods is a done deal for Riverhead, has nothing to do with LM's running or not. Now they need a name, since S-K belongs to Stafford Motor Speedway.

Gee, I bet we could start a thread with ideas for what people want to call them, huh? :-B

mrhotrod
10-28-2008, 02:47 PM
S-K type Mods is a done deal for Riverhead, has nothing to do with LM's running or not. Now they need a name, since S-K belongs to Stafford Motor Speedway.

Doesn't matter what you call 'em; it won't put any more people in the grandstands.

jemalfano
10-28-2008, 03:20 PM
the latest idea riverhead has is to now look at combining the late models and the chargers into one group. It could work, if it was looked at with an open mind and the right give and take between the divisions.

DriveitinDeep
10-28-2008, 03:26 PM
boy, that phone call got around quick

bulldozer
10-28-2008, 03:40 PM
I think you got a better chance of combinding the chargers and blunderbust.Differences wheel base,tube chassis, big motor difference,msd boxes,electric fans,quick change,clutches,headers,exaust,coil overs,adjustable trailing arms,spring trailing arms.I want the late models at riverhead dont get me wrong but the late models are more like modifieds than the chargers.I really dont want to spend any more money to make my car more like the late models.These are BIG differences with front end geometry.I would be willing to listen to the ideas but its far fetched in my eyes.81

hollywoodmic
10-28-2008, 03:44 PM
I like the SK type idea but I do find it funny that alot of the folks that purchased "SK's" purchased them to race off the island and travel. To not support Riverhead, and now they would like a division. Very odd to me, and they want a big purse as well. You can't tell me any of them bought them to race here because we've never had a division.
As for the combination of the divisions, I've been saying that for two years. It just has to be done diplomatically. If the Late Model guys need to buy rims, buy em' because in the end your tire cost will go down and you'll still be racing, which I hope can happen. Your cars may have to get a little heavier as well. If the Charger guys have to buy carburators, buy em' or we may have the same posts next year only it'll be titled "No CHARGERS". Hey 81 if you put a bigger carb on your car could you go 1/2 a second faster?? If the get heavier and put smaller tires on them, could they slow down a 1/2 a second?? If so you guys will be in the same ballpark, No?? Then you can beat then late Model guys with your Charger car,lol.Good luck to all of you guys and gals in getting the Late Models back in some capacity.

chris061
10-28-2008, 06:29 PM
I remember a bunch of years back the late models tried to run a "low compression" motor with a weight diffrence and buzzy and quinn volgraff ran them and they got bet up, when they put the big motors in they were right back up front.So i cant see the chargers having a chance,its just a big motor and suspension diffrenece.I think the charger cars are going to a gun fight with a slingshot. :D:D

DriveitinDeep
10-28-2008, 09:23 PM
not for nothing Chris, it was Buzzy and Ronnie Theil who ran the small motors and combined to win 7 features. Sean Patrick also ran the small motor as well.

Hi Bub,
remember last year when we (LM's)were running those crappy tires and running 13.1's to 13.4's I believe you turned at least a 13.5. In fact you turned faster times in your Charger car then some of the Late Models.

Jaws
10-28-2008, 09:41 PM
Whatever they do, I hope to see most all of the Late Model drivers on the track in one division or another.

Some of the Late Model teams have supported the track as long as i can remember.

Its funny, the trucks brought about 10 12 trucks to the track for years and there no talk of dropping them.

The fact the trucks are up to 20 or so trucks probably has something to do with tihs decision, this will also get them more races.

I have a name for the SK's how about Sportsman (Thats what they called limited Mods when I was a kid)

You know this decision can not be good for Nelma. will cost them a few cars.

There is new 1/2 mile track they are building up state running Sat nights and late models are 1 ofd the divisions.

Ellracin17x
10-28-2008, 10:10 PM
Roger O Think bulldozer is too used to racing with the strickly stocks at lee.lololo:D:D

The"Roof"Rider
10-28-2008, 10:22 PM
No I think bulldozers being logical:cheers:

WEEZER
10-28-2008, 10:33 PM
If you could find a way to combine the chargers with the LM's and the BB with the grands it would be like a flash back with two divisions running consi's to qualify for the feature race, imagine that!!!!

RGeeProductions
10-28-2008, 10:43 PM
Then Modifieds with SK's and Figure 8's with Spectator Drags and we will have it all covered!!!! LOL

Fkraft99
10-28-2008, 11:46 PM
and when the late models and chargers combine what are we gonna do for the charger guys that are already .5 sec slower then the 81, 89, 66 etc... You've got guys out there turning 14 even 15 second laps... and now we are gonna give them even MORE motor to work with??? :help::help:YIKES:help::help:

id love to see the late models back, but i really dont see a way to make the 2 comparable without the late models going to a stock suspension, or the chargers going to a tube clip, coil over set up. People look back to Tribuzio winning a late model race with his charger motor, and he did... but he also did it from the pole and that motor was in a late model chassis. i think you can add all the weight you want, but the late model will still get through the corners better then any charger car. And giving a charger car more motor is only gonna hurt them even further in the corners.

Wanna talk about putting 2 divisions together? Maybe the late models and this new SK deal is the way to go. the fenders do come off those late models after all. and they are both comparable under the hood within 20-30 hp, and the suspensions are similar. just food for thought.

DriveitinDeep
10-29-2008, 06:55 AM
listen, it's is not my first choice and I didn't like the idea either when people started suggesting this a year a go but there are other things to consider.
Except for the last charger race, the car counts were almost as slim as the LM's. The Chargers could be looking for a place to race themselves after 2009. Chances are if the two are combined in some way they would be running for the Late Model purse which they (the Chargers) wouldn't be getting otherwise. The 2 divisions are basically 1 second a part in time per lap. The LM's can be slowed up and the CHR's speed increased without a ton of money spent on both sides. It can be accomplished if you are open minded. It's better then the alternative. JMO

Turbo
10-29-2008, 08:46 AM
Time to get used to sandbaggin :lol::lol: but on the serious note its better to let them cars get a chance to run so all the ideas should be taken into consideration. It would be better than to convert them into expensive lawn orniments.

LongIslandJam
10-29-2008, 08:56 AM
On the topic of NELMA - the series (and overall racing as a whole) would be best served if late models continue at Riverhead in some shape or form.

As far as the differences between chargers and late models - it can be done. Mountain's rules incorporate a division they had called pro stocks, and a pro stock has won a late model race and they can run competitively provided that they are given some concessions (some of which Freddie recommended). Besides, the days of stock frames are going by the way side. Either way it's up to the competitors.

And Roger's right - it's better than sending an entire division home.

catfish
10-29-2008, 09:38 AM
Jaws, At Shangrala II are the Late Models you speak of "Riverhead/Mountain Late Models" or "New England Late Models".

Ellracin17x
10-29-2008, 09:42 AM
There will be a place for us racers to race!!!!!!! .5 sec slower or not you can race to a 20 + car field .Lets face it!! Good charger cars are going to be a little fish in a big pond again like in late 80 and early 90 .But if you eat and sleep racing YOU WILL be competive.Thats an option everyone has DURING THE WEEK and when they pay to get in on saturday night.The rules can be made so both partys can adapt well.Mind you,with very little out of pocket!:applause: :applause::applause:
You have nothing to lose but growth,and by 2010 we have a great class of late models at the head.

Jaws
10-29-2008, 11:47 AM
Jaws, At Shangrala II are the Late Models you speak of "Riverhead/Mountain Late Models" or "New England Late Models".

Don't know, thay are having a rules meeting coming up, I think in Dec.

They have a web page. http://www.shangrila-2.com/

Jaws
10-29-2008, 11:50 AM
listen, it's is not my first choice and I didn't like the idea either when people started suggesting this a year a go but there are other things to consider.
Except for the last charger race, the car counts were almost as slim as the LM's. The Chargers could be looking for a place to race themselves after 2009. Chances are if the two are combined in some way they would be running for the Late Model purse which they (the Chargers) wouldn't be getting otherwise. The 2 divisions are basically 1 second a part in time per lap. The LM's can be slowed up and the CHR's speed increased without a ton of money spent on both sides. It can be accomplished if you are open minded. It's better then the alternative. JMO

Roger,

On that subject, has the track even brought that up? From what I am reading they are just dropping the Late Models. Maybe they think those guys will just go out and get Charger cars then they still only pay the Charger purse.

randomrodder
10-29-2008, 12:30 PM
Roger,

On that subject, has the track even brought that up? From what I am reading they are just dropping the Late Models. Maybe they think those guys will just go out and get Charger cars then they still only pay the Charger purse.

I think you nailed it on the head right there my friend. You are being given a choice. Go; SK, Modified or Charger, or go race somewhere else, we don't care.

Seems it's the way things are going everywhere today. :mad:

DriveitinDeep
10-29-2008, 12:56 PM
Hey Jaws,

this started yesterday as a result of a phone call from Bob Finan to Oval Speed telling Dennis that discussions were now going on into the possibility of combining the two divisions. Supposedly they are to make this determination before Thanksgiving. This is also why no formal announcement has supposedly not been made of the dropping of the LM's. The rest is all speculation.

Teds Race Tours
10-29-2008, 01:49 PM
I'm all for it with the LM's and Chargers. If sandbagging goes on, who cares. You could change weight rules (among other cheaper adjustments)from week to week until you get a good level of fairness. You dont need a division thats completely 50/50, just one that is fairly close. And with weekly handicapping, most of the stronger cars, no matter which division they are in, so It could produce some good racing either way.

WEEZER
10-29-2008, 02:44 PM
From a business stand point you'd think the track would love not losing 10 to 15 late models that bring in back gate money and instead join the two divisions.

randomrodder
10-29-2008, 02:45 PM
I'm all for it. :applause::applause:

bulldozer
10-29-2008, 03:04 PM
I thought that 17x was a strickly stock out there.LOL.See you forget we have a late model and a charger in our garage and there is no comparison.None.I know i spent 6,000 for my rolling chassis car and my dad 23,000.His motor about 15,000 and mine 7,000. I wonder why its more exspensive.Its basically a modified with a body.My favorite two divisions are the chargers and the late models but combining them we will get eating up. If i was a late model i would say hell yea ill run with the chargers too.lol.I think the figure eights are more like the late models than the chargers if im not mistaking.It just sucks for the late models because that is the main division down south and here we cant get 15-20 cars.If this ever did happen you are telling a charger guy there car is junk because no one is going to buy a charger car over a late model.No one is going to run a charger over a late model. THere are just so many things more you can do in the late model than the charger,to many differences to make one big class.

Roger i also was turning 15.5 with truck at mountain and you guys were turning 14.9-15.0 was there much difference?Heck yea.So you are saying if you added weight and switched to our tires we would be able to run with you guys?

fisherman
10-29-2008, 04:16 PM
hey chris just make the oldman retire and use his car. there will never be a complete fairness between the 2 cars what you gonna take from the late models there clutches, rears , rims,carbs,wide 5 hubs,and add 400lbs put the weight on the right front and they will all cry . good luck on this deal:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::cheers::cheers: :help::help::cool:

Teds Race Tours
10-29-2008, 06:18 PM
Just make a grandfather rule that any new cars must be Charger Legal. Only Late Models that ran X amount of times in 2006/2007/2008 are elligible to run with the Chargers with weight and/or other restrictions. This way, all existing LM's could still run, and all new purchases would be chargers.

Could a restrictor plate work/help in this situation?

MERCHANT
10-29-2008, 07:14 PM
I Have Noticed Some Of The Late Model Drivers And Crews Have A Tendency To Complain Too Much About Thier Cars Touching,bumping And Trading Pain,but That's Racing.If Your Going To Run Aroud Like A Freight Train In A Small Circle It's Boring.The Lms Need To Get The Spectaters More Involved In Order To Have It Profitable To The Track.The Lms Seem To Race For Themselves And Not For The People In The Stands. The Fans Go For A Beer Or Fall Asleep When The Late Models Go Out.I Remember Freeport When The Lm Came Out, It Was Intermisssion Time,same At RR.Fans Want To See Action Like All The Other Divisions.You Need Personalities,good Guys,bad Guys,etc.The Div Is Way To Bland And Has No Gate Draw,people Can't Wait Till They Get Done.I Can Understand The Promoters Point,no Draw, No Money,no Div. Sorry:

W. J.
10-29-2008, 07:35 PM
LOL, we need to introduce you to jeffrey. Your description of the races sounds like you were flashing back to a Cup race or something like that. Good guys, bad guys? If you can' t think of any, I'm not going to help you out. They're out there, stay away from the beer stand and watch a race or two, you'll see them.

DriveitinDeep
10-30-2008, 09:42 AM
I guess that reply must have touched a nerve with a few people

btgoss
10-30-2008, 12:47 PM
Change is going to come, the best you can hope for is change that happens on your terms. That is rarely the case however.

The divisions that run at Riverhead should be changed. Classes that are under performing should be dropped, old classes should be re-tooled, and new classes will need to be added to meet the current realities of the time. The main goal should be to create an entertaining program that brings in more fans in the stands, and promotes more teams to be become involved as racers.

Had there been some plan to gradually move the Late Models and Chargers into a new class, perhaps there would have been less upheaval. What appears to almost be a last minute attempt to merge the two classes may end up being almost as bad as cutting the class outright.

It is a tough time to be a track operator, and it is clear that Riverhead is not going to be able to make everyone happy. They are going to lose people from both gates. I just wish this had been more pro-active, perhaps as early as the middle of last season, so that a solid plan could have been formed. (That may have happened, but for us on the outside this appears to be a reflex action. Those rarely work out well.)

I doubt this is going to be the last major change we see at Riverhead, I can only hope that next time that the announcements are made earlier, and the people involved are more actively engaged in that process.

SuperShafts
11-04-2008, 06:54 PM
The Late Models basically do race for free. Weekly expenses far outweigh any purse offered at Riverhead. I for one ran all last season out of my own pocket, no sponsor help at all, I did 4 tires a week and my car did not go without anything that was needed. It would make no difference to me if there was no purse, it is not like winning would even pay for your night anyway. I believe the drivers and owners who field cars at Riverhead do it for the love of racing and not the dollars, why else would we throw money at these cars to keep them going.
Chris La Spisa #7 Late Model

I would say people don't race because of the money

I don't, could care less about the money on track, im sure a lot of others also don't.....
However the money can help make it a little easier on some things....

LOL, we need to introduce you to jeffrey. Your description of the races sounds like you were flashing back to a Cup race or something like that. Good guys, bad guys? If you can' t think of any, I'm not going to help you out. They're out there, stay away from the beer stand and watch a race or two, you'll see them.

I'll agree there... lol

I think maybe the issue might be with the officials....we all ***** when we watch umpteen hundred excruciatingly blinding super fast caution laps..waiting and waiting and waiting for that car not going to win... not going to challenge no longer for the win.... just a jam car
After recently kinda having a discussion with RR on a different but somewhat similar issue i wonder if the same reasoning is/was used in this decision... if so write responsibly..

In all honesty i am one of those people that can't stand waiting around under some of those forever/never/ending cautions...

DriveitinDeep
11-04-2008, 08:52 PM
????????????????