View Full Version : 24 years ago Today

Fast&Legal
10-24-2008, 04:42 PM
Take a moment to remember Richie Evans, he left us 24 yrs ago today
Richard Ernest "Richie" Evans
July 23, 1941 - October 24, 1985
Rome, NY
NASCAR Modified Career: 1963-85

And post any stories that you have that will let the new fans know a little about the Big Orange

Precision Auto
10-24-2008, 05:40 PM
For me, it was an honor to have known Richie, to stay at his home, to party :cheers: after races at Riverside.

He may be gone, but never forgotten.......Linda Case

MOD JUNKIE
10-24-2008, 07:07 PM
Sad day, R.I.P. #61

randomrodder
10-24-2008, 07:40 PM
Time stands still for no man.

R.I.P. Richie, one of the all time greats of modified racing.

ModTourMan
10-24-2008, 08:17 PM
It was truly a pleasure to get to watch him race - especially up close while pit side at NES all those years ago. I never had the pleasure of chatting at length with him but I was always impressed that he would take the time to say or nod a quick hello to a no-name, local hobby-stock racer like me - no matter how hectic a night he may have been having. The way he handled that tight 1/4 mile track - snapping that car straight exiting turns 2 and 4 - was something else to see! The next weekend, I would sit in the grandstands at Staffords 1/2 miler, Islips bull ring oval, Pocono's 3/4 mile track...WHEREVER! He was always fast and the class of the field. He was simply the BEST Modified driver I have ever...and probably will ever seen. Thanks for the memories Richie!

Jaws
10-24-2008, 08:19 PM
Wow, 24 years!

Its hard to belive.

uticamike
10-24-2008, 11:00 PM
RE won 9 NASCAR titles and I don't know how many track titles but no matter
if he won 109 he'd a still been that kid from Westernville as humble as they come. Save for G Bodine EVERYONE liked Richie. Simply the best there
ever ways in a Mod. He'd talk to anyone and like those that helped him he returned the favor many times. Had he not died he certainly would have continued to "own" the Modified division thru the 80's and maybe into the 90's. Maybe 15-16? titles I believe. His passing opened the door to Jimmy Spencer winning 2 titles and launching his Cup career. 1985 was the year RE
left us and the Tour was born. Mods have not been the same since. Glad I had a chance to meet him a couple of times and watch him dozens more. Miss ya Rich!!

JEFF
10-25-2008, 02:37 PM
I remember when the mods used to come to holland. RE ran the whole track up by the outside wall . the other guys looked like they were going in reverse, when he flew by them . he was the greatest ever, no contest !!!!! Hello to everyone as i am a new register. Jeff in Buffalo.

mattphoto
10-25-2008, 08:31 PM
The story you hear about Richie Evans are just amazing. I wish I got to meet him when he was racing.