PDA

View Full Version : Racing movie on HBO

Duke22
11-14-2008, 08:47 AM
Dirty driving-Thunder cars of Indiana: I caught this movie late, late last night on HBO. It follows a couple of drivers in the Thunder car division of Anderson Speedway in Indiana. The cars are strickly stocks. The story follows a couple of teams who deal with the rough economy while racing. The racing people featured in this film, wholly smokes, what hillbillies! It looks like they were all dragged out of the deep woods of Georgia and relocated to Indiana. Features are no teeth, kids running all over the place, lots of smoking, cursing and drinking and drunk girls fighting in a bar. A non racing person who views this film will think that all racers are rednecks. It was fun watching them race towards the championship but I really didn't feel like it promoted our sport in a good way. Check it out, you'll get a few laughs.

Jaws
11-14-2008, 09:40 AM
Those guys (and women) were crazy!

Anyone complains about the rough riding at Riverhead should watch that movie!

The fights, the rough riding, the horrible wreck caused by a driver that admitted she closed her eyes!

The track itself almost reminded me of Riverhead (Just the track, not the drivers or racing).

Looking at the economy in Anderson Indiana, (And this was filmed before the stock market crashed) shows how bad things are in some places across the country and how bad people want to race.

It was crazy movie, not academy a award winner by any means but I would recommend it to any short track racer or fan.

W. J.
11-14-2008, 10:02 AM
...and the title of the movie is????

RGeeProductions
11-14-2008, 10:05 AM
Yes, a title would be nice....LOL
This sounded interesting, so I went through HBO's schedule and could not find anything.

W. J.
11-14-2008, 10:13 AM
I just found it. It's called "Dirty Racing: Thundercars I". It will be on HBO-E next Tuesday, Nov 18, at 1:05AM.

DishTV search is a wonderful thing! :)

RGeeProductions
11-14-2008, 10:33 AM
Thanks WJ!!!
DIRTY DRIVING: THUNDERCARS OF INDIANA (http://www.hbo.com/docs/programs/dirtydriving/synopsis.html)
Also ALL the showing times (http://www.hbo.com/apps/schedule/ScheduleServlet?ACTION_DETAIL=DETAIL&FOCUS_ID=620228)

Duke22
11-14-2008, 11:51 AM
The movie title was the first words in my post!!!

W. J.
11-14-2008, 01:59 PM
The movie title was the first words in my post!!!
Yes it was, but you didn't specify that it was the title.

rabbid1
11-15-2008, 05:22 PM
Makes you appreciate the drivers we race with ! Those drivers have zero respect for each other . Must see though , I was flipping between that and the Jet game , But then I figured I'd better leave the Jets on being they blew their whole lead while I was watching those "Thunderbust" cars.

capitalcity300
11-16-2008, 07:58 AM
After reading the "Interview with Jon Alpert" article. :cheers: :wave:
I'm wondering if in near future, if there is going to have Thundercar races at Jalalabad Speedway, Afghanistan ??? :rolleyes: :lol:
Or is Jon Alpert filming a new documentary for HBO on U.S. Armed Forces Thunderhelicopter racing in Jalalabad, Afghanistan??? :rolleyes: :lol:

http://www.hbo.com/docs/programs/dirtydriving/interview.html

At the time of this interview, Jon was in Jalalabad, Afghanistan filming a new documentary for HBO. He brought a DVD of 'Dirty Driving' with him, and reported that film subject Sammy Hawkins had become a cult hero among the American soldiers, especially the helicopter pilots who have to do some pretty dirty driving to stay alive. The soldiers all want to thank HBO for letting Jon document life in Anderson, Indiana, and for letting Jon film in Afghanistan. Jon sent in these comments.

Which one is the correct way???
#1. Gentlemen (and Ladies) start your engines!
#2. Ladies and Gentlemen, Start your engines!

capitalcity300
11-16-2008, 08:26 AM
Anderson Speedway information. :cheers: :wave:

http://www.andersonspeedway.com/contact_us.htm

After checking the Anderson Speedway photo gallery.
Anderson Speedway have both directions (clockwise and counter clockwise) racing.
http://www.andersonspeedway.com/gallery.htm

http://www.andersonspeedway.com/a_look_back.htm

http://www.andersonspeedway.com/media_links.htm

SuperShafts
11-19-2008, 10:09 PM
I don't know, but im thinking some people must be wearing dark sunglasses and blinders...

I can even see the same characters, especially the part with the girl being spun out, even the nicknames....

Matter of fact only thing i didn't see was fighting....

TMAC
11-20-2008, 12:20 PM
I watched it,thought it was pretty good.But its a shame all those companies[gm,etc]packed it in and left,that was an eye opener.Funny though the personalities of those drivers can be seen in a lot of pits in the united states..Also it was nice to see them actually pulling parts to replace where as just going out and purchasing them...

W. J.
11-20-2008, 12:46 PM
Yes, it was a good movie. The American auto companies pulled out because their business is shrinking. I guess that's because so many don't 'shop at home' anymore.
It is a true picture of a lot of what we see at the tracks we all go to, it just doesn't reflect everyone that I've come to know in the pits. Most are good, decent people, who wouldn't pull some of the antics shown in this movie.

Golf Guy
11-20-2008, 01:14 PM
Tommy Walkowiak is Billy Riddle
Sammy Hawkins is Scott Sepe
Scott Maliszewski is Brandon Tompkins

SuperShafts
11-20-2008, 06:18 PM
Tommy Walkowiak is Billy Riddle
Sammy Hawkins is Scott Sepe
Scott Maliszewski is Brandon Tompkins

I disagree... the wild child = wild wild willie...

Watch it again, 1st or 2nd race when he intentionally hits the girl... lets call her Jessica.

Dan814
11-20-2008, 08:25 PM
Do you think we can really call Tommy Walkowiak Wild Willie since we never saw him crying to the officials or kissing their butts?But you did have a good idea there Golfguy.

Jaws
11-20-2008, 09:15 PM
I forgot I Tivo-ed it and watched it again tonight.

This was so much more than a racing movie.

I must have missed more at the beggining of the show than I realized.

The hardships of all the families after GM pulled out, this show shot I guess last year was a prelude of what is now happening across the country.

There is a lot of racing in this movie but its far from the main point.

Golf Guy
11-21-2008, 11:11 AM
I got an email from Slammin Sammy Hawkins Thundercar #26. He wants us to go to HBO.com and write how much we liked the movie/documentery- they are thinking of making a mini-series out of it.

W. J.
11-21-2008, 02:56 PM
I guess they need them to make it a series. That way, they would be paid 'actors', which my be the only jobs left in that town, besides the race track workers.
The movie itself should serve as an example of what happens when we good citizens buy from foreign companies, and the effect it has on our fellow citizens (and taxpayers).

SuperShafts
11-22-2008, 01:35 AM
I guess they need them to make it a series. That way, they would be paid 'actors', which my be the only jobs left in that town, besides the race track workers.
The movie itself should serve as an example of what happens when we good citizens buy from foreign companies, and the effect it has on our fellow citizens (and taxpayers).

AND when govt thinks it's doing the right thing with free trade.....

All it did was allow corps to move and help the few, at the expense of turning the US into a 3rd world country....

Look around and you can find the same thing happening here...

Problem is know 1 has there eyes open...

Just look at RHT, phil is doing a great job of lying to them... did it during elections and know 1 listened, now there 6mil in the hole and losing there 911 ops...what's next..