PDA

View Full Version : Sad News - One of Riverhead Pits' Mainstays Passes

LongIslandJam
11-26-2008, 10:10 PM
Roy Schelin passed away this afternoon, Nov. 26.

The wake for Roy Schelin will be held at Defreist-Grattan Funeral Home 51400 Route 25 in Southold on Saturday from 7PM to 9PM, Sunday 2PM to 4PM, 7PM to 9PM.

Funeral will be at 11AM Monday at St. Peter's Lutheran Church - 71305 Main Rd in Greenport.

Burial will be Stirling Cemetery in Greenport.

On behalf of LongIslandJam.com, we send the Schelin family and friends our sincerest condolences.

Tracy87BB
11-26-2008, 11:30 PM
My deepest condolences go out to the entire Schelin family, and to all of those whose lives Roy touched in one way or another.

For me personally, it is a tremendous loss. My friendship with Roy goes back many years, and I will truly miss his smile, his hello, and his willingness to stop and talk. I am deeply saddened by the loss, yet thankful to have had the opportunity to know Roy.

Turbo
11-27-2008, 10:15 AM
My deepest Condolences , his presence will be missed

Jaws
11-27-2008, 10:24 AM
Roy was one of the friendliest people I ever met.

From the first time you met Roy you were a friend.

Rest in peace Roy.

Our Prayers go out to Roy and his family.

RGeeProductions
11-27-2008, 10:32 AM
My condolences to the Schelin family.
He will be greatly missed.

modprincess8x
11-27-2008, 11:07 AM
Our condolences go out to Roy's family. He is a great man and will be missed greatly by all, especially our family and team. Rest in peace.

randomrodder
11-27-2008, 01:08 PM
My condolences to Roy's family and friends.

maestri fan 1
11-27-2008, 01:48 PM
My condolences to Roy's family and friends.

*rAcIn CuTiE*
11-27-2008, 04:09 PM
Roy was the sweetest man and it wont be the same without a trailer full of candy to munch on all night! Ill never forget all the nights we spent at Denny's when i was too young for pub 44... you'll truly be missed!! :*-(

Condolences to his family!

BOWATCHER
11-27-2008, 08:30 PM
My condolences go out to all his family and friends.

capitalcity300
11-28-2008, 01:42 AM
Deepest condolences go out to the Schelin family.

Can you post an photo of Mr. Roy Schelin.

Did Mr. Roy Schelin have any racing history like winning car races or driving race cars??? :cheers: :wave:

http://www.defriestgrattan.com/main.htm

The Bullfather
11-28-2008, 06:53 AM
You will be missed Roy, enjoyed our talks. Godspeed:angel:

Jeff T
11-28-2008, 08:57 AM
I've known Roy for close to 25 years, and I know that he will be missed by all. Roy would aways be there to offer a hand to anyone who needed it. He was always a pleasure to be around and talk to, and was liked by all who had the honor of knowing him. Roy has been a part of racing at Riverhead since the earliest days of the track. He first came as a driver, and was the first to carry the number 1 at the raceway (something that he was very proud of ). He got involved in racing again in the 1980's when his son Todd got involved at Riverhead first with a demo car, then a Blunderbust car for several years, and finally with a Charger car. Even though Todd retired from racing, Roy still stayed very involved at the track. I remember there was one season several years ago when the track stopped giving out winners trophies for some divisions as a cost cutting measure because of lack of sponsorship. Roy paid for the trophies out of his own pocket for the divisions for the entire year with the simple explaination of "...if somebody wins a race, they deserve to get a trophy". He would often help out local racers he knew with little or no fanfare, simply for the fact that he was a racer, and he wanted to help. He was dedicated to the sport and loyal to those who were honored to be called his friends. People like Roy are a rarity in these times, and he has set the example for all of us to follow.
To the Schelin family, I wish to express my condolences for your loss. I know that he may have been a dedicated racer, but more so, he was a dedicated family man who loved his family more than anything in this world.

So to the original number 1 at Riverhead Raceway, God's Speed, Roy. You will be missed by all, but never forgotten.

Jeff Tuthill

capitalcity300
11-28-2008, 08:59 PM
I've known Roy for close to 25 years, and I know that he will be missed by all. Roy would aways be there to offer a hand to anyone who needed it. He was always a pleasure to be around and talk to, and was liked by all who had the honor of knowing him. Roy has been a part of racing at Riverhead since the earliest days of the track. He first came as a driver, and was the first to carry the number 1 at the raceway (something that he was very proud of ). He got involved in racing again in the 1980's when his son Todd got involved at Riverhead first with a demo car, then a Blunderbust car for several years, and finally with a Charger car. Even though Todd retired from racing, Roy still stayed very involved at the track. I remember there was one season several years ago when the track stopped giving out winners trophies for some divisions as a cost cutting measure because of lack of sponsorship. Roy paid for the trophies out of his own pocket for the divisions for the entire year with the simple explaination of "...if somebody wins a race, they deserve to get a trophy". He would often help out local racers he knew with little or no fanfare, simply for the fact that he was a racer, and he wanted to help. He was dedicated to the sport and loyal to those who were honored to be called his friends. People like Roy are a rarity in these times, and he has set the example for all of us to follow.
To the Schelin family, I wish to express my condolences for your loss. I know that he may have been a dedicated racer, but more so, he was a dedicated family man who loved his family more than anything in this world.

So to the original number 1 at Riverhead Raceway, God's Speed, Roy. You will be missed by all, but never forgotten.

Jeff Tuthill

Mr. Jeff Tuthill, Thank you very much for sharing the racing history on Roy Schelin. :cheers: :wave: :cheers:
Do you have any photos of race car #1 or any racing photos of Roy Schelin???
Relatives and friends of Roy Schelin would enjoyed seeing them. :help: :cool:

Bullet09
11-29-2008, 08:28 PM
Our condolences go out to all of Roy's family and friends.:(

kart34
11-30-2008, 09:14 AM
Our condolences to Roy's family and friends. he is part of reason why I started racing go karts and he will greatly be missed from the Zeh Family

jaFor
11-30-2008, 02:37 PM
I knew Roy since the early 50's. He never changed. He was a nice guy then and he was right up to the end. If you weren't a friend, it was your loss! It didn't matter where you saw him... at the track... in town... while working... it was always the same smile... and it was genuine. To Joanne and the kids... my wife and send our heartfelt condolences. He WILL be missed!

Tracy87BB
12-01-2008, 11:08 AM
Here you go, capitalcity300... Rest in peace, Roy.