PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Question Wall Speedway?

Rich Mergl
12-03-2008, 04:40 PM
Did anyone approach any of the folks attempting to build racetracks on L.I. about buying into (AVAILABILITY OF ) Wall Speedway? TOP GUN etc?
Such a great facility it would be a shame to see it go.

Teds Race Tours
12-03-2008, 05:01 PM
I'd be happy with 3 or 4 Special Events in 2009. WMT, ROC Tour NYS mods and TD. But to get to your question, I don't know.

W. J.
12-03-2008, 07:21 PM
Did anyone approach any of the folks attempting to build racetracks on L.I. about buying into (AVAILABILITY OF ) Wall Speedway? TOP GUN etc?
Such a great facility it would be a shame to see it go.Might cost too much to move it here. The bridge tolls are going up soon!!! That would also mean it would cost more to go there!

WEEZER
12-03-2008, 09:09 PM
Four big events only at wall would be a money maker, the owners are probably drooling as we speak, it's the bristol of short track racing, I'm glad I was part of turkey derby's record crowd. With this economy, less is more.

cerckl'm racing
12-04-2008, 02:12 PM
I was impressed with that place - from what little I could see it looked pretty modern, and was in great shape for a place that was closed all season. One of the reasons I went was to see it before it's 'gone' - hopefully that crowd will persuade someone to keep it alive.That bus/buses shuttling folks to that distant 'parking lot' was definitely a classy touch and much appreciated.

Lugnuts
12-04-2008, 09:49 PM
:( Pretty sad that Ray Everham went and purchased a dirt track in North Carolina. It would have been nice if he had purchased Wall Speedway. He probably would have turned the place into a real nice facility. I do believe he raced there for a number of years prior to his making it into the Cup arena.

Howie
12-04-2008, 09:58 PM
I saw on another board that apparently Ray said he felt the asking price (for Wall) was as so high that he didn't think anyone could make a go of it.

catfish
12-05-2008, 09:50 AM
On the other hand he also stated that he may purchase more than one "local track" to try and help save the sport, so there still maybe hope

art11758
12-05-2008, 09:58 AM
Exclusively my opinion here.....

I think the partners that bought Wall paid a premium price and invested heavily in the facility. Which is all good. The downturn in the economy in 07 (you know the one we all felt but no one in Washington would admit to) combined with the projected down turn this year, led the partners to limit their losses. They made a smart (yet unpopular) business decision. For them to sell, they would like to at least get a fair price given their investment. (probably would stiill be a short sale) Cannot say I envy their position. And I can understand Evernham's choice for the same reason(s).
Jim Morton took a chance. I'm glad it worked out. Perhaps he will again.

And to stay on topic, what would buying a racetrack in NJ do for a Long Island company??

RGeeProductions
12-05-2008, 11:41 AM
And to stay on topic, what would buying a racetrack in NJ do for a Long Island company??

Make them money?!?!

art11758
12-05-2008, 12:02 PM
Make them money?!?!

I suppose. I was under the impression that the reason TopGun and others were looking here on Long Island is that it is an underserved market. New Jersey, on the other hand seems to be a bit better off in that regard.

Jaws
12-07-2008, 10:19 PM
Whatever happened to Top Gun, they pack it in?

I don't think the Wall property would be big enogh for what they were planning to do.

Also NJ has a brand spanking new facility in Milville NJ.