PDA

View Full Version : Will the current economic times make for a better NASCAR

TJ1976
12-11-2008, 07:50 AM
Instead of joining NASCAR.com to post my opinions, I thought the old copy and paste job would do much better. Besides, where else can you go to really let the people speak really their minds. My opinion - I think NASCAR has gotten wayyyyyyyyyyy to greedy, fogotten its roots , driven the cost beyond sky high, and pushed many of its grassroots series *cough - THE MODIFIEDS * aside!

Rgee...please don't shut this thread down...I'm sure there are plenty of people here who want to vent on this issue

Sound off...what do you guys and gals think???

Will the current economic times make for a better NASCAR?

Now that the last top has been popped on 2008, the question must be asked: Where does NASCAR go from here?

"Here" is a troubling place, one wrought with a United States economy laid lower than Jacques Villeneuve, rumors of mergers, not to mention the cold hard facts of buy-outs and lay-offs. "Here," it seems, is not what anyone envisioned while the NASCAR bubble filled with air in recent years.

Nonetheless, here is where we are: numerous industry workers toting pink slips instead of wrenches (you know who you are and we feel for you); teams on the brink of shutting their doors for lack of sponsorship, or reducing their race schedule; icons as nothing more than figureheads, and now in danger of losing the family business.

Hey, it happens; everyone wants to take advantage of the good times -- and NASCAR has enjoyed some very good times -- but inevitably comes The Reckoning.

Everyone knows Gordon Gekko's "greed is good" mantra. It was the sound bite that propelled 1987's Wall Street into the public consciousness:

"The point is, ladies and gentleman, that greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right, greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind."

Would a starting lineup with less than 43 cars be the death knell for NASCAR? Would a season without Petty Enterprises be the end of the road for NASCAR? Of course the answer to both questions is no -- the green flag would fall on the race and the sport would roll on, even sans a standalone Petty Enterprises.

In the end, greed should make NASCAR a better sport: only the best should be on the track each week -- and isn't that what big-league racing should be?

Precision Auto
12-11-2008, 09:28 AM
Rather than reference the entire article posted, I'm going to pick two paragraphs to comment on:

"The point is, ladies and gentlemen, that greed, for lack of a better word is good. Greed is right, greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through and captures the essesce of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms: greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind."

If the above statement is how we are to view ourselves or how we wish others to view us, then I feel ashamed for us as a nation. To me, greed brings nothing more than an "at any and all costs" mentality, which has been proven time and time again, to lead to places that have this nation in the mess that it's currently in.

"In the end, greed should make NASCAR a better sport: only the best should be on the track each week -- and isn't that what big league racing should be?"

If the above statement were true, who gets to define "only the best"...NASCAR, the fans, other teams? NASCAR, from the grass roots short tracks to Daytona, should be an equal opportunity sport. Obviously, performance wise, one tends to do better with more money backing them, but that's not always the case.

How many times have we read on this very board, after a race has been completed and we see a name not usually in the top ten: "way to go...a boost for the little guy." Without that, where would we really be today. I believe the sport needs such positive reinforcement.

Overall I look at greed as taking a ride on an escalator: you do all you can to take all the steps, sometimes two at a time, to reach the "top." But once you've reached the top of "greed", are you ever able to take the escalator the other way, should the need call for it?

JMO........Linda Case, Precision Automotive, Inc.

Jill
12-11-2008, 03:35 PM
Rather than reference the entire article posted, I'm going to pick two paragraphs to comment on:

"The point is, ladies and gentlemen, that greed, for lack of a better word is good. Greed is right, greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through and captures the essesce of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms: greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind."

If the above statement is how we are to view ourselves or how we wish others to view us, then I feel ashamed for us as a nation. To me, greed brings nothing more than an "at any and all costs" mentality, which has been proven time and time again, to lead to places that have this nation in the mess that it's currently in.

"In the end, greed should make NASCAR a better sport: only the best should be on the track each week -- and isn't that what big league racing should be?"

If the above statement were true, who gets to define "only the best"...NASCAR, the fans, other teams? NASCAR, from the grass roots short tracks to Daytona, should be an equal opportunity sport. Obviously, performance wise, one tends to do better with more money backing them, but that's not always the case.

How many times have we read on this very board, after a race has been completed and we see a name not usually in the top ten: "way to go...a boost for the little guy." Without that, where would we really be today. I believe the sport needs such positive reinforcement.

Overall I look at greed as taking a ride on an escalator: you do all you can to take all the steps, sometimes two at a time, to reach the "top." But once you've reached the top of "greed", are you ever able to take the escalator the other way, should the need call for it?

JMO........Linda Case, Precision Automotive, Inc.

Well said Linda.

Greed is a selfish, excessive desire for wealth/things, usually at the expense of others, and is (at least partially) the reason our economy is in such bad shape at present. Less than 43 cars may not be the death knell for NASCAR, but it sure isn't a good thing. I think Mr. Cross (who wrote the article) needs to read his Bible. It's not "greed is good" it's "God is Good".

randomrodder
12-11-2008, 07:26 PM
Let's roll the clock back to, let's say, 1965 and go Cup racing again. :applause:

Axel
12-12-2008, 08:50 AM
TJ1976- Do you know who wrote that article?

I agree with everything that Linda and Jill stated. Greed leads to sector “bubbles”, which leads to sector collapses. Just look at the internet boom of the late 90’s and the housing bubble of 03-07 if you want to put some context around it. Look at the Wall street fat cats and overpaid CEO’s.

It's about time more people really begin to look at nascar's greed so they can expose themselves as the evil empire they really are. Smaller regional and touring series should exploit the evil empire moniker as a way to complete.

Greed is most definitely not good.

My thoughts…
-Axel

Howie
12-12-2008, 09:30 AM
Here's the link to the original article on NASCAR.com LINK (http://www.nascar.com/2008/news/opinion/12/10/cross.words.greed.is.good/index.html)

Give me the days when anyone with the desire race and willingness to bust their butts working on their car could race. Good drivers or not so good drivers, good equipment or not so good equipment, in my opinion made for the best races - not to mention lots and lots of cars.

Now, especially in upper divisions you only see the best of the rich kids. There are lots of more talented kids that aren't in Cup or Indy cars because of money, or I should say lack if it. They say money buys speed, but you can't say money buys talent.

There is nothing good about greed. The only people that should think greed is good is the greedy.
(The above is JMO)

mattphoto
12-12-2008, 11:58 AM
Here's the link to the original article on NASCAR.com LINK (http://www.nascar.com/2008/news/opinion/12/10/cross.words.greed.is.good/index.html)

Give me the days when anyone with the desire race and willingness to bust their butts working on their car could race. Good drivers or not so good drivers, good equipment or not so good equipment, in my opinion made for the best races - not to mention lots and lots of cars.

Now, especially in upper divisions you only see the best of the rich kids. There are lots of more talented kids that aren't in Cup or Indy cars because of money, or I should say lack if it. They say money buys speed, but you can't say money buys talent.

There is nothing good about greed. The only people that should think greed is good is the greedy.
(The above is JMO)

Howie I agree with you. The sport is not what it used to be. It's sad in what it has become. I think it has become more coporate then anything else.

W. J.
12-12-2008, 04:16 PM
Let's roll the clock back to, let's say, 1965 and go Cup racing again. :applause:
AMEN! That would absolutely solve all the problems that exist at the top level of the sport, and it would trickle on down to the lowest level quickly. GREAT IDEA. :applause:

Sadly, it probably won't ever happen. :*-(