PDA

View Full Version : E85

2crew
12-17-2008, 05:26 AM
I was just reading a post for a thriller on racing junk and the guy stated he runs a mix of E85 and pump gas. Anyone know why this would be?

I dont know of any more power being avail using it and doing some research it burns 1 and 1/2 times more than gas. 13 gal of regular gas would get you a lot further than 10 gal of E85 and 3 gal of gas. Joe will be trucking in a tanker of e-85 and a mini tanker of gas!!!

Any comments welcome. i am not trying to start a new trend or anything so dont get scared. I just found it interesting.

jeff

Tracy57
12-17-2008, 09:20 PM
E85 has an octane of 100 - 105 octane, and has about the same power output from an engine, some studies indicate it lubricates as well... Maybe the motor runs cooler, or maybe he has ethanol confused with methanol.

For those of you that have ever wondered about why methanol makes more power in a race engine.

Ethanol has 76,000 BTU of energy per gallon.
Methanol has 60,000 BTU of energy per gallon.
Gasoline has 116,000 BTU of energy per gallon.

So 1 gallon of ethanol has about 65% of the energy that a gallon of gasoline has, and 1 gallon of methanol has about 52% of the energy that a gallon of gasoline has -- but that's not the whole story.

If you want more horsepower you need to either burn more fuel or burn it more efficiently to unlock the energy in the fuel.

Gasoline requires 14 parts air per 1 part gasoline to burn complety (stoichiometric ratio). Dumping more gas in is easy as changing jets, it's getting more air in that's the key to more horsepower.

Ethanol requires 9 parts air to 1 part ethanol to burn. So for the same amount of air going into the engine, you can put about 50% more fuel in.
so the power output gain is 150% more fuel x 65% of the energy content
= 97.5% of the power

Methanol requires 6.5 parts air to 1 part methanol to burn. So for the same amount of air going into the engine you can dump about 210% more fuel in. so the power output is 210% more fuel x 52% of the energy content
= 110% of the power.

so methanol = more power ... ethanol = less power.... but

ethanol is the type of alcohol in beer, wine and liquor.
Methanol is wood alcohol and will make you blind if you drink it.
In conclusion, ethanol =good
:cheers:

-Larry

2crew
12-17-2008, 10:39 PM
$3,100
1981 Chevy Monte Carlo SS
Street Stock/Thunder Car
This car is a multiple time track champion and has many feature wins
Complete Roller with extras
Car has a just refreshed metric turbo 200 tranny.
Lots of extras
10 gal fuel cell
holley 4412 Carb rebuilt for e-85 we run 60%-E-85 and 40%-Premium gasoline
Kirkey racing seat
full roll cage
Aftermarket upper A-arms IMCA Legal
Screwjacks in the rear
9- 2" offset wheels, Aero and Bart
5- 1" offset wheels all wheels 15x8
complete spare guts for tranny
optima racing batttery
extra tie rods, brakes, rotors and hubs
This is a very fast car that is in mint condition. Perfect body with no flaws and a proven race winner.Hate to lose this one but selling everything to move up. You wont be dissapointed with this one.
Also I have a nice wood deck trailer with tire rack, new tires and still solid platform,
Trailer= $1,500
Take trailer and all for $4,200

So you could potentialy slow the car down or depending on how much fuel you dump into the motor you could have the same amount of power? is that correct?