PDA

View Full Version : Thompson

limodmaniac
01-08-2009, 05:09 PM
Article in Area Auto Racing News got me to thinking...

Thompson cuts back from 5 to 3 shows because they aren't happy with the attendance. I read somewhere that Thompson says they lost 55,000 bucks on running the September race last year. I'd love to see the math on that one. I agree the crowd wasn't the best, but it did come the day after a horrible storm.

Yet, Thompson decides to run the East Series. This too, despite, supposedly less than great attendance. I've never been to one of these races at Thompson, but I can't see them packing in a better crowd for the East Series than the modifieds.

And how come if Thompson is willing to place the East Series on a Saturday night, why don't they do that with the Modifieds. A big paying modified show on a Saturday night in Summer? Wouldn't the place be packed??

What are some people's opinions on this subject?

BigMac
01-08-2009, 06:29 PM
In theory, a Saturday show would be great but both Seekonk and Waterford run on those nights and that would have an effect on the crowd.

I can see Thompson's position here. The 300/Mod Mania weekend is tough. Its usually the first weekend of the NFL season as well as the last full weekend of summer. Folks have a lot of options for entertainment in early Sept. If Thompson was to do something they would be better off doing a one day Sunday show in May, June or July.

johnd62
01-08-2009, 06:57 PM
Thompson's schedule was posted today. This is from the tracks's website

Thompson Speedway - 2009 Schedule

MONTH DATE DAY EVENT INFO ADULT JR's PIT
March 21 Sat. Practice, Test & Tune Session 11-6 pm (Rain Date Sun.) $25
March 28 Sat. Practice, Test & Tune Session 11-6 pm (Rain Date Sun.) $25

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 4-5 Sat.-Sun. ICEBREAKER - Season Opener - (Rain Date 18-19) $40 $10 $50
WHELEN MODIFIED TOUR Special Event 150L
6 NWAAS + Twin Sunoco Modifieds & Late Models

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 7 Thurs. Practice, Test & Tune Session 12-7 pm (Rain Date Sat.) $25

May 14 Thurs. Practice, Test & Tune Session 12-7 pm (Rain Date Sat.) $25

May 21 Thurs. Thursday Night Thunder Kick Off! 6 NWAAS Div. $15 $5 $25

May 24 Sun. EVE OF DESTRUCTION - (Rain Date 5/25) $18 $10 $25

May 28 Thurs. TNTT Special 50L Ltd. Sportsman Feature $18 $5 $30

June 4 Thurs. TNTT 6 NWAAS Divisions $15 $5 $25

June 11 Thurs. TNTT Special 50L Late Model Feature $18 $5 $30

June 18 Thurs. 'TOUR TYPE MODIFIED OPEN' - 100 Laps $6500 to Win $35 $10 $40
Tour Type Mods - True Value Type - ROC & Independents
Plus Sunoco - SK - Wall Mods 50 Laps $2500 to Win
LTD - Dare - Strictly - Mini Stock Roadrunner 25 Laps
(Non-NASCAR event -- no points)

June 25 Thurs. TNTT 6 NWAAS Divisions - ARTS Trucks $18 $5 $30

July 2 Thurs. NEMA Midget Special & 6 NWAAS Divisions $20 $5 $30
Plus Special 50 Lap Sunoco Modified Feature

July 11 Sat. PEPSI "FULL FENDER FRENZY" - (Rain Date 7/12)
$40 $10 $50
Camping World East 100 Lap Special
P.A.S.S. Super Late Models 75L
Late Model 25L - Ltd. Sportsman 20L - Mini Stocks 15L

July 16 Thurs. TNTT Special 50L Super Late Model Feature $18 $5 $30

July 23 Thurs. TNTT 6 NWAAS Divisions $15 $5 $25

July 30 Thurs. TNTT Special 30L Mini Stock Feature $18 $5 $30

Aug. 6 Thurs. TNTT Special Sunoco Modified 100 Lap Major Event $20 $5 $35

Aug. 13 Thurs. BUDWEISER WHELEN MODIFIED TOUR 150L
$40 $10 $50
Plus 6 NWAAS Divisions

Aug. 20 Thurs. TNTT 6 NWAAS Divisions $15 $5 $25

Aug. 22 Sat. Vintage Antique Car Extravaganza $10 $25

Aug. 27 Thurs.
SPECIAL EVENT
TBA TBA TBA
Format to be Announced July 1st

Sept. 3 Thurs. TNTT 6 NWAAS Divisions (Sunday afternoon Rain Date) $15 $5 $25

Sept. 10 Thurs. TNTT 6 NWAAS Divisions (Sunday afternoon Rain Date) $15 $5 $25

Sept. 17 Thurs. TNTT 6 NWAAS Divisions (Sunday afternoon Rain Date) $15 $5 $25

Sept. 24 Thurs. TNTT 6 NWAAS Divisions (Sunday afternoon Rain Date) $15 $5 $25

Oct. 16-18 Fri.-Sun. WORLD SERIES WHELEN MODIFIED 150L
$50 $10 $75
ISMA Supers - NEMA Midgets - 6 NWAAS Divisions
All Star Trucks - Pro 4 Mods - 3 Outlaw Divisions
(Rain Date: 23-24-25)

Nov. 7-8 Sat.-Sun. Don Hoenig's Flea Market & Swap Meet - Rain or Shine! $10 $75

Jan. '10 22-23 Fri. - Sat. 2009 Championship Awards Banquet

SCHEDULE IS TENTATIVE AND SUBJECT TO CHANGE!
Price Breakdown: Juniors Ages 6-14 -- Ages 5 & Under = FREE
TNTT 6 Divisions = SM=Sunoco Modifieds, SLM=Super Late Models, LM=Late Models,
TIS=Thompson Modifieds, LTD=Limited Sportsman, MS=Mini Stocks
NWAAS = NASCAR Whelen All-American Series
WMT = Whelen Modified Tour ***** CWS = Camping World Series East
Additional Major Events may be added -- check website for updates -- www.thompsonspeedway.com

BigMac
01-08-2009, 07:52 PM
I didn't see a TVMS points event unless its part of the Aug 27th deal.
June 18th ought to be interesting

Modifiedthunder
01-08-2009, 09:54 PM
I agree with BigMac Thompson should run a big modified race on a Sunday not in Sept. but in May ,June, or July when the WMT only has 3 races on there schedule in 3 months. If they pay a nice purse the place will be packed with car's and fan's.

phillie
01-08-2009, 11:02 PM
I didn't see a TVMS points event unless its part of the Aug 27th deal.
June 18th ought to be interesting

The tentative date on the schedule they gave to us at the meeting in Dec. was June 20th.

burtmyers1
01-09-2009, 12:19 AM
Article in Area Auto Racing News got me to thinking...

Yet, Thompson decides to run the East Series. This too, despite, supposedly less than great attendance. I've never been to one of these races at Thompson, but I can't see them packing in a better crowd for the East Series than the modifieds.

Doesn't the East/West Series have a TV deal?...................

Jaws
01-09-2009, 09:20 AM
June 18th must not make Nascar happy!

Axel
01-09-2009, 10:13 AM
June 18th must not make Nascar happy!

Who's nascar?:confused:

Precision Auto
01-09-2009, 10:50 AM

Axel: See - this is exactly what happens when you eat Pork Roll..:lol:

BigMac
01-09-2009, 03:39 PM
The tentative date on the schedule they gave to us at the meeting in Dec. was June 20th.

Well, thats the schedule and there is nothing for June 20th. Was the June 18th originally suppose to be a TVMS event?

What's the deal with Aug 27th? Is it modified related? I don't like it when tracks do this. Just announce what it is. Especially when its a mid week deal. People want to know if they need to schedule time off.

mikel 3
01-09-2009, 03:49 PM
I really think they are just blowing smoke.Look at the world series for example 75 Bucks for the pits times every pit crew member times how many cars?.Do the math,Then 50 Bucks for the grandstands do the math,not to mention gas was over 4Bucks a gallon at the time.So really who is squezing who.Just another case of greed on the owners part soon they will be in the same sinking ship the the cup series is in.They should think of taking care of the race teams that support them week in and week out racing for purses that continue to shrink as costs rise.The example of this is Flash races when the guy that wins doesn"t even cover his expenses never mind the guy that finishes tenth or wrecks.How about the die hard fan with his wife and two teenage sons having to pay two hundred bucks at the gate just to get in.I wish they would realize that it is a struggle for everyone so don"t get too greedy.

RichKeator
01-09-2009, 04:00 PM
well we all know that this economy is hurting everyone... even worst than last year. It is what it is and we can all either sit here and bell ache about it, but it isn't going to get things changed... we can only keep our fingers crossed and hope that by seasons end we arnt on TCH talking about a former race track... When you got tracks cutting out things like Stafford with the camping world and Thompson with three tour dates its going to be another season where That car pool to the track for the weekend is gonna help... Call your buddies save some gas money, pack the Geo Metros FULL OF 10 PPL and SUPORT YOUR LOCAL SHORT TRACK.... before we see another crappy mall or stupid roller coaster...

limodmaniac
01-09-2009, 05:04 PM
Maybe Oswego and the ROC should pick the Sept 12 date for the big ROC show.

If Thompson is planning something big on the 27th of August, does that necessarily mean it will include the modifieds? The Whelen Tour is scheduled for Chemung on the 29th. That could prove real interesting.

Glad to see Thompson has a 100 lap race for the SKs

Jaws
01-09-2009, 06:32 PM

N A S C A R yup I spelled it right.

Please don't confuse me... :)

phillie
01-10-2009, 02:08 AM
Well, thats the schedule and there is nothing for June 20th. Was the June 18th originally suppose to be a TVMS event?

What's the deal with Aug 27th? Is it modified related? I don't like it when tracks do this. Just announce what it is. Especially when its a mid week deal. People want to know if they need to schedule time off.

They said it was a tentative date and could change. They were still working on it. As far as I know the series is going to Thompson at some point this season from what was said at the last meeting.

MJProcko
01-12-2009, 11:21 AM
Hello Chrome Horn and all the good folks who run the site and post about the beloved Modifieds. This being my virgin post here I thought I should put some thought into it.

I was excited when the rumors of a big open show at Thompson started circulating especially after the initial disappointment of only 3 Thompson WMT races. Don and the gang have a big opportunity here but it’s still way too early after the announcement to start the high fives and chest bumps yet.

He got the date in June; which is in the 2 month dead section of the WMT schedule, after Stafford and before NH – smart move. Although it’s 5 days after the TVMS at Seekonk and 2 weeks before Seekonk’s big open show (more on that later). His 2nd WMT show this year is sandwiched between Stafford and Bristol which will hurt that show again. There are huge gaps in the schedule; Thompson and Nascar need to work on that one. The 27th mystery date is probably a TVMS date since the WMT is at Chemung 2 days later.

What I can’t figure out is what Don is trying to accomplish here, is it:

A. Construct a marquee event that will attract drivers and fans from all over?

B. Show Nascar that he can put on better Mod shows without them?

C. Trick everyone, create his own flash race and pocket the savings from the Nascar sanction for a big payday?

So far it looks like “C” to me. May not be his intention but it’s looking that way.

Don dropped the WMT race that was the same weekend last year because he says lost money. Well it seemed the crowd saw that it was a flash race and didn’t show, in fact, it was a faux flash race at that. Less laps, less purse, same high admission…. Not how the “flash” race was intended to be. Who did he think he was fooling? Don wanted another flash race this season and Nascar said no – good for them, flash races that reduce the purse but not the admission just hurt the fans and race teams. Don is right that the sanctioning fee from Nascar is too high and that is the main culprit of a lot of his and the WMT problems. Without the big SK race, this would be exactly like the flash race, less laps, less purse, same big admission price – only $5 bucks cheaper than the Ice Breaker, a lot more racing for the buck at the Ice Breaker.

You got Seekonk just 20 minutes to the east with an open race 2 weeks later paying 10k to win with a cheaper admission price. In this economy, many race teams that are considering adding an open race to their schedule have good reason to choose Seekonk over Thompson. The same goes for the fans. (not counting LIManiac – he’ll make both! Go get ‘em). I myself am planning 2 trips up north this year; as usual I plan them around WMT races if I can… shhh don’t tell the wife. Trip one is already planned around Bristol, a dream come true. Our second trip I was stalling to see what would happen with this race but for now it looks like Stafford May 22nd, Vermont to visit family and the T-Road TV race, Back to CT for family and poker at Foxwoods and relax on the RI shore. Not that anyone cares about my vacations but I’m just saying that people will go out of the way in this economy for must see big events so planning ahead is important.

Don IS the guy that can make this a must see event, Thompson is by far one of the best short tracks in the country and can make an open mod race on the level of the old 250 lap Race of Champions, Oxford 250, Bud 200 or dare I say it… Thompson 300. Granted 300 laps might not be doable at this time but you can do better. Say 150-200 lap 12k to win open race will give the guys from NY, NJ, LI and NH a reason to come down other than just hoping Hirscman, Hinkley and Suess aren’t taking vacations that week. With the SK race you got a better shot at attracting teams from NY/NJ that have both SST and ROC cars at their disposal like Earl Paules, Chuck Hossfeld and Eric Rudolph if it was a better paying event. All the CT SK’s will cover the ticket but adding them and it’ll actually be an Sk race I’d love to see, toss in feature only races for the other divisions to allow for breaks for the Mods and now I don’t mind a $30 admission nearly as much (yes I said $30) then Don will have himself quite a mid summer event that’ll really scare Nascar. Maybe even enough to get them to work with the tracks about their sanction fees. (maybe dreaming there though) I figure they can either make this a one time thing and take the money saved from Nascar and run or make a little less profit and make it an event that’ll continue to prosper for years to come as well as set a good atmosphere for the rest of the happenings at the Big T increasing attendance throughout the year. I have faith in you Don, you could definitely pull this off.

Disclaimer: This is just my humble opinion and in no way reflects the opinion of the staff or sponsors of the Chrome Horn or anyone else for that matter…. Just lil’ ol’ me.

RGeeProductions
01-12-2009, 11:41 AM
Welcome to TCH Michael.
And so you know, don't try passing off your thoughts as ours........LOL
Just kiddin'. You can voice your opinion anytime here.

MJProcko
01-12-2009, 04:45 PM
Thanks Richie,
Good to be here, I just wanted to absolve all the good folks here just incase. I figure as long I express my love for porkroll I'll be allright....
:cheers:

burtmyers1
01-12-2009, 05:19 PM
Don IS the guy that can make this a must see event, Thompson is by far one of the best short tracks in the country and can make an open mod race on the level of the old 250 lap Race of Champions, Oxford 250, Bud 200 or dare I say it… Thompson 300. Granted 300 laps might not be doable at this time but you can do better. Say 150-200 lap 12k to win open race will give the guys from NY, NJ, LI and NH a reason to come down other than just hoping Hirscman, Hinkley and Suess aren’t taking vacations that week.

Maybe a Southern car or 2 might come up..............I can think of 1 that really wants to run Thompson

limodmaniac
01-12-2009, 05:58 PM
1. If he wanted a flash race in June, how come the show is now paying 6500 to win?

2. If you cancel the race in September because it's a week before Loudon, why do you schedule a race in June, one week before Loudon?

3. If you are having a big modified race in August, why would you schedule it just two weeks after your other big modified race... and just two days before a Whelen race?

4. Why if you are willing to run an East Series race on Saturday , why won't you do the same with a modified race?

5. Wouldn't the low crowd count in Septmember be based a lot on the fact there was a huge storm the day before?

BigMac
01-12-2009, 06:30 PM
That's a good point about the Thompson open show being a week before the June Loudon race. I hadn't though of that. Although, this is on a regular Thursday night so they will have their regular crowd at the very least. The Sept mod events have seen dwindling fan numbers for years, it wasn't just last year. I actually don't think the Thompson Open will be a huge success. The Seekonk race is two weeks later, pays more to win and in general, uses up less equipment. Because its not a Nascar event, he doesn't have to pay a sanction fee so they'll make money. I'll be interested to see how many cars show.

I'm not sold on the fact that Aug 27th is a modified event. Why do we have to wait until July 1st to find out? If its not a TVMS event, then they appear to not be on the schedule, which is intersting. Maybe one of the local scribes can to some investigative work and find out what the deal is here.