PDA

View Full Version : Can you hear me now...

CJfilms
01-16-2009, 08:32 AM
If you have a scanner... GOOD!

What is your view on scanners for the races?

I believe it will help...
1.) Throwing/moderating RED FLAG conditions.
2.) BLACK FLAGGING cars that are leaking/dragging/intentionally ramming.
3.) It will certainly help out during line-ups.

BUT...
1.) It is more money out of your pocket to buy a new unit.
2.) It's either all or none (we can't run scanners if half the field has them).
3.) Not everyone CHOOSES to listen all the time. (My battery is dead, what were you saying?...not a good excuse to me...)

My concerns are not always your concerns...so what do you think about this idea?

Again...we are just getting some feedback together pre-season so we can make 2009 run as smoothly as possible...NO POLL posted here will be made into a rule based on the majority agrees/likes the idea...

Sac-Man
01-16-2009, 09:48 AM
I don't recall the lights being real good at Grandview. Safety, Safety...

DEMotorsports
01-16-2009, 11:08 AM
Safety is the main reason I would approve the use of scanners and if used properly can be a valuable asset. They must only be utilized to inform drivers of safety issues, i.e. red flags, dangers of loose objects flying off of a car, fuel leaks, etc.
To keep the true spirit of enduro racing scanners should not be used to inform drivers as to when the green flag will be displayed (after a red flag condition) or what place any driver is in at any time, including the leader.
Keep in mind the spirit of enduros and most of all safety so we can race another day.

Duane

CJfilms
01-16-2009, 02:15 PM
Good point Duane:applause:...and I can assure you that you would not be hearing anyone telling a car to back away or let the race leaders pass...(any NEETS official at least:angel:)

"#XXX leaking fuel or dragging metal, get to the pits or pull it off ASAP"

"RED:mad:FLAG - RED:mad:FLAG - RED:mad:FLAG"

"Uncle Petey back it off..:help:..that last one was intentional!" <- I can pick on him since he is at Motorsports already!:angel: :applause::D:applause::D:applause:

In the spirit of true enduro racing, there should be no scanners...with times changing though, many other venues are already mandating the use of a scanner...so, it should not be too big of a problem for some people to acquire one if they don't already have one...let's see where the votes go before we go any further with this discussion though.

CJfilms
01-20-2009, 04:03 PM
Glad to see most people are "FOR" the idea of running scanners...

If nothing else...they will aid in keeping the show moving along in a fairly organized manner... There is nothing worse than waiting for a race (either in car or in the stands) and seeing the first car come out onto the track and the last car come out 20 minutes later...and then we have to line them all up and wait even more time.

There is no rush to get things done by a certain time, however, would you rather waste the time that you could be spending racing??? I bet I would get a much different answer if I were to ask you that if you were the first car on the track...!!!

I am looking into either purchasing a few scanners to sell at the races to anyone who shows up without one...OR...I am also working to iron out a good deal on buying new units if most of our drivers already have a unit.

If we can strike a nice enough deal...then we'll work on if we are surely going to mandate the use of scanners. The last thing I want to do is mandate the scanners and have everyone out there spending hundreds of dollars...

richardpetey
01-20-2009, 09:30 PM
Scanners are OK, but sometimes they interfere with my traction control..........................:eek:
UNCLE PETEY......................:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

CJfilms
01-21-2009, 08:52 AM
Sounds like you need to get a grip!

...I think I will go kick myself in the pants for that one...

:rolleyes:

AND NO PETEY I WON'T BE ENJOYING THAT!!! :lol::lol::lol:

DerbyN8-128
01-27-2009, 10:47 PM
would there be a "rent them at the track" option? Then I'm all for it. If not...well I'm still all for it :applause:

I come from the demolition derby arena...I know what it's like to be in trouble and needing to get out of a burning car fast, but a few cars are still moving around because they can't hear the "shut them down" call over the speakers or the flags waving in the corners. Scanners would of course fix this problem.

Safety Safety Safety.

NJ Chick
01-28-2009, 09:56 PM
If it is decided that scanners will be used this year, then I am all for it. Because in addition to the other reasons stated above, now there will be absolutely NO excuse for anyone to be passing anyone under a red. This has been a huge problem with the two races we had at Grandview (it also was a problem at the road course race at Englishtown as well). Not too many people seem to understand that red means STOP where you are in a safe manner. It does NOT mean race to the start/finish line to advance your position, or get ahead of those lapped cars in front of you so you have a clear shot for the re-start. A red could be thrown for someone seriously injured on the track. A life is not worth getting two or three positions ahead of your fellow competitors. If you all stop at the same time and in position, then you are basically exactly where you were before the red came out, no harm, no foul. I'm sure scanners will definitely help with this issue in addition to all of the other safety aspects. Bring em on!;)

DerbyN8-128
01-28-2009, 11:49 PM
will be absolutely NO excuse for anyone to be passing anyone under a red.

from the grandstands, it was quite obvious that a few cars hit the gas instead of the brakes when the red was displayed. These cars then stopped just past the start/finish line. It would be nice to see that problem addressed somehow. NASCAR changed its caution rules years ago to prevent cars from racing back to the line, it only makes sense for it to be the same for the enduro races here.

CJfilms
01-29-2009, 08:06 AM
If you all stop at the same time and in position, then you are basically exactly where you were before the red came out, no harm, no foul.

I can understand why some people believethat if the red is thrown and they make it passed the line, they will either gain a lap or keep the one the are on...NOT TRUE...

Just a reminder to some of our right pedal friends out there...RED MEANS STOP...stop where you are safely. Getting your car across the line does not help you in enduro racing...the red comes out and the field freezes. In a regular Saturday night race however, a caution flag will mean reverting back to the last scored lap...hence the flaggers holding the yellows until AFTER the lead car crosses the line.

We don't have yellows...
We don't revert back laps...
We will move cars back if they are speeding up when the red is waved...
You will lose any positions gained while passing under red...
...If you have a nature of speeding/passing under red, we will take laps off of you and score you down XX laps...

It's as simple as that...

I cast my vote in favor of utilizing a one-way scanner system...now we jst need to work out the fine print details...!!!

pj33
02-22-2009, 06:42 PM
I like scanners they keep it safe my vote is for them

DerbyN8-128
02-22-2009, 07:23 PM
I like scanners they keep it safe my vote is for them

its in the rules for 09, so looks like its official

CJfilms
02-23-2009, 09:19 AM
That is reason #1...SAFETY!

They are not going to be used to tell people to move over or if the leaders are coming through... I'll say it again, there is only a short list of things you will hear once the race begins:

- RED FLAG
- Car #XX to the pits (for leaking fuel or dragging metal)
- - Car #XX last warning to go to the pits
- - - Car #XX you are no longer being scored...
- Car #XX take it easy, intentional bumping will get you black flagged (this is equal to the black flag being SHOWN to you)

FYI ...I am not going to get everyone ready for a green...when we the officials determine track conditions are safe enough to resume racing, the green flag will be waved. You will not hear me say GREEN FLAG or GO!

If you want a warning as to WHEN the race will resume...take a look around...if there are no officials on the track anymore, you should keep an eye on your closest flagger...if you are stopped on certain parts of the track, you may have to turn your head a bit for this one... We will keep our flaggers spaced out so that everyone can see them clearly, but you should take note of the closest flagger AND AN ALTERNATIVE OFFICIAL as soon as you stop.

Reminder: there is no moving under RED. Don't inch up to get a better view...cause we'll move you back.

310fig8
02-23-2009, 10:36 AM
WOW and I was going to number my car XX this year. I think I will do something else.

DerbyN8-128
02-23-2009, 10:01 PM
- RED FLAG
- Car #XX to the pits (for leaking fuel or dragging metal)
- - Car #XX last warning to go to the pits
- - - Car #XX you are no longer being scored...
- Car #XX take it easy, intentional bumping will get you black flagged (this is equal to the black flag being SHOWN to you)

nice to see that you will be using it to send people to the pits. Black flags alone can be confusing, since you are unsure if it is directed towards you or the car behind/next to you.

CJfilms
02-24-2009, 08:26 PM
We have had several occasions where the car being black flagged never came in to the pits and several other cars were penalized by losing the track time for doing something they did not have to do....

This way, we can your number, you listen or you ignore us...either way, if we can't get you off the track for rough riding...we just stop scoring your car...

The black flag will still be waved, but at least this time the drivers will know who it is being waved at!

DerbyN8-128
02-24-2009, 08:48 PM
The black flag will still be waved, but at least this time the drivers will know who it is being waved at!

two thumbs up for that one:applause:

CJfilms
02-25-2009, 08:13 AM
Just ask Ryan Nelson about that one...in 2007 he got penalized by missing a few laps coming off the track when we were waving the flag at the driver just behind him... Sounds innocent enough for just one race...but in the long run, it may have cost him a position at the banquet...

enduroracer131
03-09-2009, 01:02 AM
Oh yes I remember that quite well, I think the scanners will eliminate those types of incidents now:applause:

DerbyN8-128
03-28-2009, 10:19 PM
I cast my vote in favor of utilizing a one-way scanner system...now we jst need to work out the fine print details...!!!

Ever work those fine print details out? Hoping my NASCAR scanner is going to work, any new details you can send our way about this topic?

critter
04-06-2009, 05:34 PM
can we rent them or do i need to buy one ? and if i need to buy one how much r they about ? low budget racer hear thanks

EnduroFromDE
04-06-2009, 05:47 PM
http://www.raceceiver.com/drivers/index.php
these are what most tracks around the tristate area are recommending for their radios. they're about 100 bucks, may be able to find somthing else cheaper elsewhere...
I on the other hand use a race scanner. The same one I use when I go to Dover and Richmond for the races. Its about 12 yrs old, but it works... Somthing like the one below for, again, around 100 after shipping...
http://www.scannerworld.com/content/product/model/BC72XLT

DerbyN8-128
04-06-2009, 07:22 PM
I on the other hand use a race scanner. The same one I use when I go to Dover and Richmond for the races. Its about 12 yrs old, but it works... Somthing like the one below for, again, around 100 after shipping...
http://www.scannerworld.com/content/product/model/BC72XLT

I had talked to Joe through email a little while back and asked if that's what we were going to be using (since I too have a race scanner I use for NASCAR races). Just figured I'd bring this thread back because I am sure there are others wondering the same thing.

-Nate

CJfilms
05-22-2009, 09:37 AM
I think we are well beyond the necessity for this thread anymore...