PDA

View Full Version : One for us oldtimers - youtube video from Trenton

Tooner
01-26-2009, 11:51 AM
Howie, I think you will appreciate this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRVLswUhK_E

Howie
01-26-2009, 12:34 PM
Cool video, Mike. Surprisingly, I took the still photo at the beginning. I never know where one of my photos will show up!! :)

I'm pretty sure I was at that modified race and the Grand National (sorry, it was not a Nextel Cup) race. My memory must still be pretty good, I remember who was driving most of the cars. :confused:

Tooner
01-26-2009, 01:36 PM
Cool video, Mike. Surprisingly, I took the still photo at the beginning. I never know where one of my photos will show up!! :)

I'm pretty sure I was at that modified race and the Grand National (sorry, it was not a Nextel Cup) race. My memory must still be pretty good, I remember who was driving most of the cars. :confused:

You know Howie, that is what I said to myself. I remember these guys, I was a bit younger then you, but I still remember......so far :cheers:

MJProcko
01-26-2009, 03:32 PM
GREAT VIDEO! but who won? Radford, Bodine, Bouchard, Evans?

Howie
01-26-2009, 04:15 PM
I'm guessing the pit footage in the first part (before the GN part) was 1967 when Bugsie won in the #3 coupe they show (with the "S" painted on). Not sure about the more recent footage from the grandstand.

Fat Albert
01-27-2009, 01:27 AM
Great memory you've got there Howie! The first part was 1967 when Bugsy won. Not sure what year the Grand National race was, but the final Modified part was 1972 and Geoff Bodine was the winner! And, yes, that was your photo at the beginning! I didn't think you'd mind!

Axel
01-27-2009, 08:34 AM
What a cool video. Never got to Trenton, but this gives you the feeling a little bit. Two questions and one comments.
1. Did the modified race being filmed at the end have the dog leg? It kinda looked that way but it was hard to tell.
2. The person filming seemed to be following the purple 17 a lot. Was that Ron Bouchard driving?
3. DId you see those 68 or 69 Torino's? Cool!

Fat Albert
01-27-2009, 12:51 PM
What a cool video. Never got to Trenton, but this gives you the feeling a little bit. Two questions and one comments.
1. Did the modified race being filmed at the end have the dog leg? It kinda looked that way but it was hard to tell.
2. The person filming seemed to be following the purple 17 a lot. Was that Ron Bouchard driving?
3. DId you see those 68 or 69 Torino's? Cool!

1. Yes! The Modified race was filmed in 1972, after the the track was lengthened to a mile and a half.
2. Yes! That was Ron Bouchard in the # 17 and he was filmed a lot because he was running very strong up front.
3. Cool? I thought the winged Dodge Daytonas and Plymouth Superbirds were much "cooler".

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7225940834042382125
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plymouth_Superbird

burtmyers1
01-27-2009, 03:57 PM
Being only 22 and not around to see or hear these cars, its really interesting to me that the sound of Modifieds hasn't really changed that much.

As a huge history buff of Modifieds I absolutely loved this video. Wished it was longer! Pictures are great but videos with sound are really awesome.

Loved The Mason's Garage 45/46 sightings

MOD JUNKIE
01-27-2009, 06:10 PM
Thats a great video, love the ole coupe days and the history along with them.
Thanks!

Fat Albert
01-27-2009, 06:32 PM
Being only 22 and not around to see or hear these cars, its really interesting to me that the sound of Modifieds hasn't really changed that much.
As a huge history buff of Modifieds I absolutely loved this video. Wished it was longer! Pictures are great but videos with sound are really awesome.
Loved The Mason's Garage 45/46 sightings

Well, I have to tell you that the cars back then did sound a little differant! The big blocks with no mufflers were louder than todays' Modifieds and they literally shook the covered grandstands at Trenton! It was awesome! The sound in this video was added from a video I took at the Thompson Icebreaker in 2002... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap0s2Pe_Jtk&feature=channel
I loved the 45/46 (Perk Brown/Paul Radford) cars also, as well as the Junie Dunlevy 90/91 (Sonny Hutchins/Leroy Yarbrough).

yucaipa
01-27-2009, 10:22 PM
Brings back some great memories of Trenton.
THANKS!!!

smitty240
01-28-2009, 08:09 PM
Wow, a trip down memory lane. The transition from coupe to Pinto/Gremlin was neat to see again. I remember that if you weren't very high in the stands, you'd loose sight of the cars due to the reverse banking of that dogleg in the backstretch. Sure wish there was way to roll back the years to take in the old races again. I believe the last time I saw the #1 Jarzombeck car it was up on the wall at Dover with about 200 feet of chain link fencing wrapped around it.

Fat Albert
01-28-2009, 08:18 PM
Yeah! I remember that one! I guess I should have brought my movie camera that day!