PDA

View Full Version : More Trenton?

Fat Albert
01-29-2009, 01:11 AM
Can you handle a Little more Trenton, oldtimers?
Better quality when watched in HD, even in full sreen!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAHeLtLaXOQ

ModTourMan
01-29-2009, 03:44 PM
Awesome! Thanks!

smitty240
01-30-2009, 12:46 PM
:applause: :applause: :applause:

Wow, I just finished watching. Incredible footage. You know, it's strange, but not long ago I was talking to one of my coworkers about the mods and such and he said, "You heard of Paul Radford?". I told him sure. He related that Paul lives not too far from Martinsville in a little college town called Ferrum.

I've camped at the campgrounds near there and we have attended several functions at the college there. My coworker related how he remembers Paul owning a bar in Ferrum back in the day. I did the google thing and low and behold, he was known as the "Ferrum Flash". Learn something new everyday.

I guess the little track down the road was a hot bed of modified racing back in the day from what I have heard from locals. Franklin County Speedway is a throw back to the good ol' days. I've attended a few races there, but not on a regular basis since most of it is fendered cars. Set in a small hollow in the land with concrete bleachers poured in place along the edges of the bowl.

It's a throw back to a much simpler and pleasant time. They still bring in some of the cars on open trailers and slant back trucks. I wonder if some of those haulers could tell a tale or two?

Thanks for the additional trip down memory lane. I still remember visiting with my aunt and uncle in NJ and on occasion we would drive past a house with a coupe modified in the drive bearing Gil Hearne's name. That was in Mt. Holly if I remember correctly.

One additional thought. Does anyone remember Neil Bonnett running a Camaro out of the Bobby Allison stable in one of the ROC events at Trenton? Oor is that an aftershock from the '60's?