PDA

View Full Version : Transponders...

CJfilms
02-02-2009, 03:02 PM
As you all know, NEETS does not own the AMB Transponder Scoring Units that we use to score our events...

I am working on striking a deal with a few organizations to utilize transponders for our events. So far, the main line organization (which I don't want to name yet) can supply 6 of our events without a problem...but that is a problem to have 2 events without transponders.

My suggestion to everyone is that if you are serious about racing, not just enduros but all forms, you should look to purchase your own unit eventually. I am NOT making it mandatory by all means...NO ONE MUST GO OUT AND BUY A UNIT!!!

The purpose of this thread is to both assist you all in your racing career and save you some money.

Remember, NEETS does not charge you a rental fee if you bring your own unit, however, we have to charge each driver a fee even if they are racing in two divisions...

Do the math:
1 unit costs $400
Rental cost is $10 - we have 8 races this year.
If you race one division all year - 8 x $10 = $80
If you race both divisions - 8 x $10 x 2 = $160
...and when WE borrow 100 units...that's a lot-a-loot to be haulin' around.

This is where the NEETS 'family' shines through...get creative...team up and buy one with a teammate or a friend... Split the cost and save the bucks! Sorry Bentley Sr. & Jr. ...I know you two race together in the Small Car class so you are kind of out of luck on that deal...but there is still hope, I'm sure you guys will figure something out if you decided to do that!

Again...if 2 people buy 1 unit to share...
$400 / 2 people = $200 per person. ...2 years and it pratically pays for itself!

Plus, you can have YOUR personal stats loaded onto the mylaps website which will be a constant reminder of the good times...and yes...the bad too...

DerbyN8-128
02-02-2009, 04:05 PM
might be some what of a newbie type question, but where would you go about buying one of these transponders? I am going to race small cars all year, and a friend is racing with the big cars, so the whole splitting the cost thing would work for us. As long as we have enough time to switch between events. Over time, I can see how owning your own would make sense...

richardpetey
02-02-2009, 05:56 PM
Log onto www.mylaps.com and purchase your own amb transponder right on the net............................:D
UNCLE PETEY......................:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

DEMotorsports
02-02-2009, 08:19 PM
There a a few transponders on ebay and they usually run around $300. Two types are available, hard wired and rechargable.

Duane

CJfilms
02-03-2009, 08:18 AM
The ups ...and the downs...

Duane I have seen a few of the units on ebay myself...the prices are definitely right, but the only thing is...it's ebay...

I have made a few good ebay buys and a few ebay terrors! I would personally recommend shopping directly through AMB at their site, www.amb-it.com or www.mylaps.com. At least with a direct buy, you will have the warranty...and in this sport...that is not a bad thing to have even if it might run an extra $100.

Although I personally am not positive of what kind of warranty AMB offers...it has to be better than nothing at all...

DerbyN8-128
02-03-2009, 05:38 PM
thanks for the links

EnduroFromDE
02-03-2009, 07:37 PM
I bought mine when I started running every Friday night at Bridgeport about three years ago and mine still work so they do last...they charged 15 a nite for rental so it was the same after about the first year of racing... now back in the enduros im kinda glad i did buy my own...diffently worth the 375(at the time) for the complete set...charger, base, even a bracket...
http://www.amb-it.com/sports-transponders-c-22_24.html
Complete kit for $420...If you order before the end of this month you get FREE shipping!!!!

CJfilms
02-04-2009, 08:13 AM
Complete kit for $420...If you order before the end of this month you get FREE shipping!!!!

FREE SHIPPING!!!!

...You're spending over $400 with this company and they would like to thank you by cutting the $6 off at the end...YAY!!!! ........you still pay tax though! :-B

I have tried working with several companies in the past regarding bulk orders...such as transponders or radios...etc... Even if I promised them 100 people would buy the item through NEETS, they would still prefer ME to make one single purchase of 100 items...which is understandable to a point... But nobody in their right mind is going to give Joey here $350 and say "You hold this until you have 99 more people that give you their money as well..."

Hey, with a face like this...would I lie? ;)

I have been able to work out better deals in the past with companies, meaning AMB themselves, but they all want the purchases to be BULK...50 or more transponders at once...that is over $15,000 and I hardly believe that 50 people would be sending me that kind of moola just to 'hold on to it'!

Ask, beg and plea with any company you might buy from nowadays... What is the worst they can tell you..."No"? I was able to work out a deal for 100 transponder at $293 EACH!!!! And that was almost 2 years ago.... If you show a company you are serious enough to make the purchase...they will do what they can to keep you on the line...