PDA

View Full Version : Clifton Named NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour Director

SIModified
02-03-2009, 01:14 PM
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (Feb. 4, 2009) – Sherry Clifton, who most recently served as promoter of Hickory Motor Speedway for more than a decade and has been involved in motorsports most of her life, has been named the NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour Director. Clifton will lead the Tour that began racing in the southeastern United States in 2005.

“We are very pleased to welcome Sherry Clifton to our NASCAR team,” said Richard Buck, NASCAR Director of Touring Series. “She brings a wealth of short-track racing experience and knowledge. She is a perfect fit to take the helm of the NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour.”

Clifton, whose father Hal Houston is an older brother to retired NASCAR Nationwide Series legend Tommy Houston, was practically raised at Hickory Motor Speedway. She would often accompany her father to the track to watch him race.

“I am honored to be named director of the NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour,” said Clifton. “I think this tour is one of the most popular and exciting racing series in the southeast, and I look forward to being a part of the growth expected for this series in 2009.”

“I have been involved in racing practically my entire life and I welcome this new opportunity given to me by NASCAR,” added Clifton.

The NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour 2009 schedule consists of 16 races at nine tracks in five states. The season opener will be held on Sunday, March 15, 2009 at Caraway Speedway in Asheboro, N.C. The series will make history this year by making its first visit to the high-banked Bristol Motor Speedway Wednesday, Aug. 19.

Clifton replaces Ed Cox, who served as interim director of the Tour in 2008 and will return to his previous position at NASCAR as Special Projects Director of the NASCAR Whelen All-American Series.

For more information, contact:
Tim Southers, NASCAR Public Relations, (386) 235-3634 or tsouthers@nascar.com

mends
02-03-2009, 06:21 PM
i like sherry a lot... she's very racer friendly... hopefully she'll do well in this new capacity...

think 100% opposite than ed cox (personality wise) and you get sherry clifton

corey17
02-03-2009, 08:57 PM
So glad "Miss Sherry" has took over the helm of the Southern series. She is the most wonderful person you could ever meet, and she works her butt off to make sure the racers and fans alike are totally comfortable, never seen a local track promoter work as hard as her. Going to Hickory was always a great experience, and they treated me and the other media like kings, by far the most enjoyable track you could visit on the "friendliness" side of things. And it was because of her.

kja819
02-04-2009, 12:08 PM
Sounds like she is well liked and will be a shot in the arm for the WSMT. I wish her all the luck with the new position. The Mods need good people who will work hard for all of us Mod Junkies.