PDA

View Full Version : Sprint Cup Driver Ryan Newman To Make Three Whelen Modified Tour Starts In 2009

ShawnCourchesne
02-09-2009, 08:03 PM
Sprint Cup Driver Ryan Newman To Make Three Whelen Modified Tour Starts In 2009 ( http://blogs.courant.com/autoracing/2009/02/sprint-cup-driver-ryan-newman.html)

Brian Hawks
02-09-2009, 08:57 PM
Well, Newman is 1/3 already.

Passed Teddy tonight for the win...

brad
02-09-2009, 09:58 PM
Ryan is a wheelman...

this race wasnt counted as part of the 3...

2 at Loudon n 1 Bristol

:cheers:

MOD JUNKIE
02-09-2009, 10:08 PM
Newman is a wheel man, and he allmost won at New Hamphsire last summer in the Mod race. I,m a fan of any so called "star" that comes over to race the Modifieds, it can give some good PR for the tour also. Just wish I was there.

BigMac
02-09-2009, 11:48 PM
TC and Newman put on a show. Back and forth, inside and outside. Too bad the rest of the race sucked! I think it took about an hour and a half to run a 25 lap feature. I stopped counting cautions after a dozen. Not to be outdone though, the late models took just as long,and had at least an equal amount of yellow flags until they finally threw the yellow and checkered. It was a bad night all around. Its to bad too, because there was an outstanding crowd for tonights action.
That being said, I would put the June NHMS race on my can't miss race list. The 7NY looked sharp and was equally fast.

uticamike
02-10-2009, 12:46 AM
Wait a minute!! Tour Mods with loads of cautions? :confused:Can't be. I'm told that only
happens in the SK/SST. Hmmmmm. Teddy raced Ryan clean? :applause:
Bring more Cup guys over I say. They may enjoy actually racing once in a while.:)

Teds Race Tours
02-10-2009, 12:46 AM
TC and Newman put on a show. Back and forth, inside and outside. Too bad the rest of the race sucked! I think it took about an hour and a half to run a 25 lap feature. I stopped counting cautions after a dozen. Not to be outdone though, the late models took just as long,and had at least an equal amount of yellow flags until they finally threw the yellow and checkered. It was a bad night all around. Its to bad too, because there was an outstanding crowd for tonights action.
That being said, I would put the June NHMS race on my can't miss race list. The 7NY looked sharp and was equally fast.

As I said to my friends, it was a Horrible race that got lucky and had some great racing. The last 10 laps with TC and Ryan were awesome and worth the wait.

That Late Model Race set back racing about 20 years.

At one point tonight, we had 41 green flag laps of racing over a 3 Hour and 19 minute period. And oddly enough, the SK's weren't on the track. :)

mikel 3
02-10-2009, 09:38 AM
Some people just don,t get it they think it is great to see cup guys in mods.Its not all bad for the fans but think about the car owners and drivers for a change.The people that support the series week in and week out no matter what.Things like the stupid flash races ,smaller purses less races and so on.Then you show up to race and all of a sudden you have cup drivers and teams with unlimited money showing up to have some fun.One good point is that most of the cup drivers have had limited success at best to this point.The races at loudon and probably Bristol will probably be the biggest purses of the year.It would be a shame to have them come in and take money from the real WMT teams this would be really wrong. These big races can make or break a season for most WMT teams.These big races make up for the weeks that you wreck or when your winnings don,t cover your expenses. This is a serious business for us Wmt guys and in these economic times who needs the money more Ryan Newman,Kevin Manyon or Ryan Preece and the BRE team ,or Eric Beers and Bobby Caton.Just be realistic for once and think about this for a while what is for fun or for the good of the WMT for once.

MOD11RACER
02-10-2009, 09:48 AM
Don't get to excited the SK Mods have only 9 cars here and the field is not very competitive. The least amount of cars in any division. They should race caution free every night.

ericb160
02-10-2009, 10:06 AM
Late Model Race set back racing about 20 years.:)

OMG That race was a JOKE!!!!!!!!!!

nflobster
02-10-2009, 10:50 AM
i for one thought the mod race was one of the best i have seen. ted and ryan ran as hard as you can without wrecking eachother. i guess i am one of the few who enjoyed that race.

ericb160
02-10-2009, 10:52 AM
i for one thought the mod race was one of the best i have seen. ted and ryan ran as hard as you can without wrecking eachother. i guess i am one of the few who enjoyed that race.

i enjoyed the mod race but the crate latemodel race was a messssssss!!!!!

corey17
02-10-2009, 11:34 AM
Some people just don,t get it they think it is great to see cup guys in mods.Its not all bad for the fans but think about the car owners and drivers for a change.The people that support the series week in and week out no matter what.Things like the stupid flash races ,smaller purses less races and so on.Then you show up to race and all of a sudden you have cup drivers and teams with unlimited money showing up to have some fun.One good point is that most of the cup drivers have had limited success at best to this point.The races at loudon and probably Bristol will probably be the biggest purses of the year.It would be a shame to have them come in and take money from the real WMT teams this would be really wrong. These big races can make or break a season for most WMT teams.These big races make up for the weeks that you wreck or when your winnings don,t cover your expenses. This is a serious business for us Wmt guys and in these economic times who needs the money more Ryan Newman,Kevin Manyon or Ryan Preece and the BRE team ,or Eric Beers and Bobby Caton.Just be realistic for once and think about this for a while what is for fun or for the good of the WMT for once.

Racing is racing to me, no matter who is running in it. Granted, the CUP guys going over to run the Nationwide races is wrong to me, but if anybody wants to come run a local race, well, thats because they are racers. Kyle Busch comes and run run a lot of Super-Late races, and i've been in the pits, he's not there for show, he's there to win and takes it very seriously. If Ryan wants to run the mod races more power to him, i'm glad he's taken the interest to run with the mod guys. I'm not gonna fault him because his career has taken him to where he wants to go, him running the mods just shows me what we already knew all along........he's a true blue racecar driver no matter waht he's driving. He just happens to get paid more than most people we know, he paid his dues, can't fault him for that.

catfish
02-10-2009, 12:08 PM
Also in a division that is supposed to have car count issues this year I would think having some guys run part time efforts that really can't run full time (for whatever reason money, time, whatever) is still better that have to start less than a full field. If you look around every branch of auto racing has the major divisions drivers making cameo appearances from Stewart, Kahne etc in winged sprints to Ryan in mod's to Kyle Busch in a Pass car, Matt Kenseth and many others in a Wisconsin Super late model to TC driving a late model at Stafford. I believe it is good for the sport, gives it more good publicity and consequently hopefully puts more a$$es in the seats. Why and how this can be called bad I do not know ?

fastbackss
02-10-2009, 12:17 PM

Mike, I respect your opinion, but...let me expound on it a bit.

I understand what you are getting at. However, in order for your opinion to be valid, you have to fully be prepared that the modifieds are going to be a niche touring series and that purses are going to remain stagnant. If you are ok with that, your opinion is completely correct and the interlopers should stay home.

Think bigger picture here. The series, and type of cars, are getting extra exposure. I am confident that I am going to tune in to the Speed Report tonight at 8PM EST and hear that Ryan Newman won the mod race last night. Was I going to hear anything if, for example, Christopher and Hossfeld had the same battle?

It is exposing "our" type of cars to people who are not familiar with them. It is the same thing with having the PASS late models at the North South Shootout.

This all being said - if this extra exposure does not turn into more dates, and an increased purse, well then there is a disconnect their between the teams, owners, and NASCAR. Someone is not doing his/her job properly and needs to hear about it.

-Mike O.

TMAC
02-10-2009, 12:40 PM
3 words.FOR THE LOVE OF THE SPORT!Got no problem seeing them run in new symrna or any where else.Shoot i used to race motorcyles and the guys that usually came back to race,were the ones who helped build it to what it was and where good guys to race with.Just my opinion

mikel 3
02-10-2009, 02:03 PM
The exposure is great for the division but my big concern is the money end of of it.What your saying is somewhat true but there are two sides to this coin.Cup guys showing up at your local short track really helps the attendance at the gate.The exposure of the WMT and the cup star can only help.You would only hope that it would produce more WMT dates at bigger venues but I have my doubts.Having a cup Star at the WMT race on a Thursday night would probably pack the place and that would be great but for who.The purse and payoff is preset and is defined on the entry form.Therfore the big winner would be the track owner.Just picture Don Hoenig saying wow we have a packed house so we"ll pay the drivers and car owners more money tonight,fat chance.

MJProcko
02-10-2009, 03:21 PM
Some of the posts on here are correct about Newman bringing added exposure to the series, every little bit of exposure helps. Heck it even gave Shaun reason to leave all the comforts of the big track and his job as the Logano media consultant and finally write his first story in 4 days on the real speedweeks that most of the Conn. readers care about.

Now if you go routing for a Newman, Stewart or any cup whacker over any mod tour guy then you should be ashamed of yourselves.

JEFF
02-10-2009, 05:04 PM
To me it is just newman having fun. He probaby enjoys driving a real race car. Driving a taxi cab all the time probably gets boring.l

mikel 3
02-10-2009, 05:05 PM
Thanks MJ you said it all Loyalty at its best .There have been some really great posts recently on this site for example the video on Trenton Speedway.For those of us that were around at that time seeing that was great .How about the V4 car owner ?Thats Bob Garbarino yes the same mystic missille of today now thats loyalty from 1967 till today.How about the 3 s which driven by Bugs Stevens won the race.Thats right the beginning of Ole Blue all the way back in 1967.Now thats another real case of loyalty.These are the type of guys that deserve fans loyalty after all they have been loyal to us fans through thick and thin no matter what We just have to back them because thats what the real race fan does.

BigMac
02-10-2009, 05:14 PM
Well, if the mods were looking for exposure, they missed the boat last night. People were laughing at the mods (literally) They didn't make any new fans. They should be thankful Newman was there. He saved what little respect could be saved for them. The guy will put people in the seats at NHMS and Bristol. Plain and simple. In this economy, every ticket sold counts. Besides, I don't think I've ever heard TC or Stefanik complain about a Cup driver being in their race. I think both of those guys want to beat the best. NHMS will start 40 some odd cars. Newman isn't stealing anyones starting spot. I'd rather watch Newman go to the front rather than one of the tour field fillers getting lapped in under 10 circuits.

uticamike
02-10-2009, 06:09 PM
fastback, Good response. I was thinking along those lines myself. I don't think
Ryan took a seat from a WMT regular. Who would have gotten it otherwise?
I don't want to see a dozen Cup guys running regular on the Tour, thats not what I was saying. Races like Loudon, Martinsville, Bristol and NSS give them
a chance to experiance some good old fashioned racing, and the Tour would benefit from the "names" being there. Short of NASCAR actually "selling" Mods
I can't think of a better way to promote them. Now be honest, would you NOT enjoy seeing Jr in a Mod? :cool:

leftturnjohnny
02-10-2009, 07:14 PM
Haven't other Cup guys run Modified races in the 60's and 70's..Waltrip, Allison, Gant, Spencer, Bodine etc. ....I know I'm forgetting many....any exposure something or somebody can bring to our belove it Mods is OK with me !! Junior in a Mod @ DTRP US OPEN '09 ..That's one stimulus package that would work !!!! :D

kinserfan11
02-10-2009, 08:30 PM
Anyone have or see a photo of the car Ryan will drive?:cheers:

Howie
02-10-2009, 08:43 PM

http://www.racerhub.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=91308

http://www.racerhub.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=91324

http://www.racerhub.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=91481

RichKeator
02-10-2009, 09:20 PM
well Newmann says he'll be in the mod at Bristol.... Someone get on the horn the SPEED or ESPN or someone to get some coverage on tv or something.... Im sure this is wishful thinking though

RGeeProductions
02-10-2009, 09:25 PM

http://www.racerhub.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=90048

http://www.racerhub.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=90049

http://www.racerhub.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=90107

Don't ya just love it.....:confused:

mattphoto
02-11-2009, 06:35 PM
dang I am already excited for the modifieds coming to Loudon with the 7ny being there. I am sure tommy is smiling up there right now knowing his car # will be running at Bristol

1rko
02-13-2009, 11:59 AM
Some of the posts on here are correct about Newman bringing added exposure to the series, every little bit of exposure helps. Heck it even gave Shaun reason to leave all the comforts of the big track and his job as the Logano media consultant and finally write his first story in 4 days on the real speedweeks that most of the Conn. readers care about.

Now if you go routing for a Newman, Stewart or any cup whacker over any mod tour guy then you should be ashamed of yourselves.

I don't see how anybody should be ashamed of themselves for rooting for somebody who's going to produce good racing in a field that is half-filled with drivers that probably should have thought twice about coming to NSS. Half of the cars are wrecked every night leaving only a handful of people that can put on a show.

Let's just say it's an average 22-car field every night. Maybe 1/3 of that field is mod tour regulars. Half of which are "sunny day" drivers anyways. Then we have a few from other mod series which is always a good thing to see because there is some good talent in the TVMRS and the ROC. Then there are the drivers that are mainly SK/SST drivers that are making the move up and racing in a tour event. I won't mention any names, but in my opinion along with those of a handful of successful mod tour veterans, NSS is the wrong track to cut your teeth and see if you're cut out for a tour car. Lastly, there are the drivers that just shouldn't be in a tour car - some shouldn't be in a modified to begin with (You can be the judge as to who those drivers are).

So that nails it down to maybe 5 drivers that can hopefully give the fans and teams their money's worth. In a scenario like that, I personally feel that people who give the thumbs down and bash drivers from a "higher" series coming and trying to run with modified regulars should enjoy the FL weather and the concession stand goodies. Unless it's coming from people up North that can't tell what's REALLY going on from looking at the computer.

I never really took part in rooting for one driver in any series. I like good drivers - guys that can get the job done on their talent rather than their car. When it comes down to it, I hope it's a good race, I hope everyone has a good day on the track, and may the best driver win (but that's not always the case). But in the terms of rooting (note the spelling), yeah I "rooted" for Smoke and Newman at Loudon. I "rooted" for Logano and Busch at last year's Speedweeks. I "rooted" for Newman a few nights ago, and I'll be "rooting" for him at NHMS and Bristol especially after the show he put on last year and Monday night.

Am I ashamed of that? No. Why? Because being loyal to the modifieds doesn't mean you gotta "root" for a certain mod tour guy. It has more to do with wanting to see the modifieds flourish in NASCAR. Consistent good, hard racing is one of the things that is going to help make that happen - not to mention it's what we all want to see regardless of who's doing it. If you're going to "root against" or bash a driver from the Cup series that's gonna give that kind of race to the other drivers and fans, a driver that has friends in high places that he can go to and say "Hey, those mods are the real deal" that can possibly give a helping hand to the tour - then YOU should be ashamed of YOURSELF.

mikel 3
02-13-2009, 01:32 PM
There is a lot of truth to what MJ says in his post.You can't really compare the roster of Nss. to the wmt.Nss is more of like a SK race than a Tour race with only a handful of tour regulars thrown in .For most tour guys its really not worth the trip to run there because its usually like a SK wreckfest .Just look at the races so far and the purses are rather poor.Most tour regulars would rather stay home than spen the next two months rebuilding wrecked race cars.I wouldn't boo Newman but I would rather cheer for a tour regular,again loyalty.After all the way the races have been so farNSS really needs all the help they can get.

BigMac
02-13-2009, 03:12 PM
There were a lot of WMT guys there albeit in other equipment. Too many in my opionion for the racing to be that bad. TC, Hirschman, Hossfeld, Silk, Grigas, Preece, Blewett, Mckennedy, Louie M, B. Fuller and Savary to name a few. You throw in Newman for a few nights and that isn't a half bad field. Don't blame it on the SK drivers. NSS was WMT drivers taking out WMT drivers. To be honest, most tour events are similar. I don't see much difference between NSS and a tour race. Sad but true.

uticamike
02-14-2009, 11:53 AM
Yep!! nothing but a good thing I think. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ_RJpobhcA:applause:

MJProcko
02-14-2009, 12:55 PM

I forget that sometimes I need to put little smiley faces after my sarcastic remarks as sometimes only I get it. I mean yes I would route for the Mod guy to beat the Cup guy but you can't route against anyone in the 7ny! Speaking of which, where was the Manion 7ny car last night? Did Tony go coporate as an owner and not allow Ryan to go racing? Say it ain't so Smoke....