PDA

View Full Version : Rain shortened Daytona 500

BigMac
02-15-2009, 09:04 PM
Hard not to think the 500 would have been run in full had they started at 12:30 or 1pm like they did in the old days. I think Nascar has outsmarted themselves. If you count last years Brickyard thats two showcase events that have been big disappointments. They need to get back to basics at all levels and get back to what made the sport what it is.

RGeeProductions
02-15-2009, 09:57 PM
I totally agree about getting back to basics but do not see that happening. They are into themselves and trying to fix or better something that doesn't need it.

Gil
02-15-2009, 10:39 PM
I don't think they like to hang around too long before calling it a show these days. The fans paid their money and the teams spent theirs why quit after an hour or so when you still have all night!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

broz
02-15-2009, 11:13 PM
How do you let your "Superbowl" be decided by rain? :mad: Let them run rain tires :lol: or something, but end it like that?
There should be a "Daytona" rule that mandates a completed race be run. I don't have all the answers, but one would think you could wait until as late as possible or finish sometime on Monday.
As for start time, it's ridiculous :mad:
How about this? Your competing with NO other sport on Saturday? Why not run it then and run the other series a day earlier? Maybe trucks and Busch on Friday? Make it day/night double header like in baseball...

There is an answer somewhere...
those guys in the big office in Daytona are smart enough to figure this one out, right?:rolleyes:

Axel
02-16-2009, 07:42 AM
There was a race yesterday?

W. J.
02-16-2009, 08:24 AM
Starting at 3:30 is part of Nascar's sale of their soul to the Devil, the big money TV package. The networks, especially Fox and ABC, laid out so much money that they need all or part of the race to be on in 'Prime Time' so they can charge the sponsors bigger bucks to try and recoup their expense of buying Nascar in the first place. Nobody named Bill France would have done this to the fans who show up, knowing that many travel (or want to travel) back home after the race is over.
If not for the rain, the race would not have ended until almost 8PM, making getting out of Florida impossible. A 12 noon start time would have had the race done by 4PM or so, a much more reasonable time for those who traveled there and need to get home.
Brian France and Co. continue to shoot themselves in the foot, not realizing they are slowly turning the premier racing series into a second rate show by allowing the TV networks to call the shots, not the 'racing people'. They will continue to point their fingers at the sagging economy, when the real problem is them. This downturn started before the economy ever went bad.
Thus is born the first of many "Daytona 380's". :mad:

mikel 3
02-16-2009, 09:37 AM
What a stroke job this turned out to be.Nascar chasing the almighty TV dollars.This is like the dog chasing his tail running around in circles all for nothing.Daytona prerace on the guide started at noon then the guide stated 2pm Daytona 500.When you put on the so called race at 2pm they stated that the race would be starting at approx.3:30PM and it started later than that.The kicker is they stated that it was going to rain before the race could be completed.Nascar should have moved the race up even 1 hour and they would have got the whole race in.How about the fans that travel long distances to go to the race,or the amount of money spent by fans to support Nascar.Comercials more comercials,more money for Nascar ,more money for TV,screw the fans. After all nascar is for Nascar and they only care about themselves.

Jaws
02-16-2009, 10:07 AM
I feel bad for the people that bought tickets up to Sat night to SELL OUT THE PLACE!

Nascar says its all about the fans and how this year they have to change the way they do business to keep fans coming.

I know they can not control the weather but how about offering $25.00 SuperStrech tickets for the July race. They don't even open it for that race anymore and they said its fans for the 500 are not the same fans for the 400.

Anything to say to the fans we are sorry.

Teds Race Tours
02-16-2009, 03:15 PM
I feel bad for the people that bought tickets up to Sat night to SELL OUT THE PLACE!

Nascar says its all about the fans and how this year they have to change the way they do business to keep fans coming.

I know they can not control the weather but how about offering $25.00 SuperStrech tickets for the July race. They don't even open it for that race anymore and they said its fans for the 500 are not the same fans for the 400.

Anything to say to the fans we are sorry.

If it takes until tuesday or wednesday thats fine, finish the race. i know alot of people wouldn't be able to hang around for extra days, but I also know that i'd be happier seeing 152 laps in person and 48 laps on TV to determine a winner than 152 laps and calling it a race. Such BS that THIS Race, to me, the only cup race that matters, could end so anticlimactically as it did. I feel terribly cheated!!!!

LiquidBread
02-16-2009, 05:13 PM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ....

BigMac
02-16-2009, 08:23 PM
The NFL does just fine every Sunday with a 1pm kickoff. There are no shortages of sponsors for them. The same should be good enough for Nascar. Leave Daytona a day race!!