PDA

View Full Version : The Whelen Modified Tour: NASCAR Celebrates 25 Years As The Division Falls To Ruins

ShawnCourchesne
02-26-2009, 01:59 AM
The Whelen Modified Tour: NASCAR Celebrates 25 Years As The Division Falls To Ruins Around Them ( http://blogs.courant.com/autoracing/2009/02/the-whelen-modified-tour-nasca.html)

MJProcko
02-26-2009, 12:17 PM
Well, there’s been some pretty good coverage of the WMT and mods in general over the past few weeks. Speed 51 and The Chrome Horn gave great nightly coverage of speedweeks. Florida Stock Car Racing even covered the mods each night. This week the Speedway Line report returned and we got some great insight to the behind the scenes going on at NSS from Bear and Gary. I listened to Speed 51 radio last night for the first time and they had a good interview with TC after yesterdays test at Bristol. The Bristol Track Website, Speed Channel, Nascar.com and all the blogs are all hopped over the Bristol test session, even turned on ESPN and there was TC with the Nascar Now crew singing the praises of the mods including the prediction by Brad Daugherty that the Bristol mod race would be a sell out 160,000 seats. Nice dream for all of us Brad but we’re realistic, but I do predict the crowd will probably more than match the truck race crowd. So the excitement around the mods is pretty good right now considering…. But then there is Shawn….

Shawn, done with the excitement of following Joey Lagano around Daytona reporting on every little movement, food eaten, clothes worn and I believe there was even a random “God Bless You” thrown in one story as Joey sneezed (not true). Now to Shawn’s credit, he did show up and report ONE night at NSS when Ryan Newman was there and also the rumors of stalking charges filed by the Laganos and JGR are really unfounded;). But in the mist of all this good cheer we get the mod Grinch spouting off and insulting the car owners when the situation of the WMT owners are the same as some of those in the big 3 series. Don’t you think that Lia would still be in a truck if he could bring a sponsor with him? He did win last season you know. Matt Hirschman had a great audition in the Camping world East Series last year, why is he not there now? I don’t know but I’m sure if he had a sponsor he’d be there or at least still in one of the many mods he drove last season. As a matter of fact him not being in two of those cars has allowed two other drivers to get a shot this season. He still has the orange 59 he drove last season to use as well as his own #60 family car and they have other options. Chuck Hossfeld also has the 22 car at his disposal. Why are they not running their own cars? It’s probably because they can’t afford to be competitive without sponsor money, just like the WMT owners you are bashing, the same as in all of racing these days, not just the WMT. I want to see them both at the track too but it is what it is and they do have the means to be there, it’s just a matter of at what cost. You make Lia coming back sound like a bad thing for the tour, it may be bad for Hossfeld, but having a past champion back is usually a good thing for the tour even if it’s not where he’d probably like to be. You can take the best driver and put them with the best team and it always doesn’t work out, sometimes they just break up. Bugsy & Lenny; Reggie & Mario; Dale Earnhardt Jr. & Dale Earnhardt Inc. Heck even the Beatles broke up. Why? I’m sure there’s a million reasons why but it happens.

Calling the WMT a club series is just plain bad journalism. A club series is owned by a driver or drivers who race in it and usually the only ones who profit from it. Offer the club up to tracks on the cheap and the drivers usually can’t afford to be competitive any other way but they love the sport so they race for the peanuts they get. Sound familiar? Kind of like the "Club" replacing the WMT’s flash race at Thompson?

Don’t get me wrong the WMT has problems, most thanks to Nascar, and I don’t want you to just blow smoke up Daytona’s butt either but the Mod owners are the ones keeping the sport alive.

MOD11RACER
02-26-2009, 02:06 PM
Shawn:
Do you ever have anything good to say about the WMT Tour.

Shawn do you pay at the gate or do you get in free because you claim to be a reporter ?? The paying fan that supports and follow the WMT does not share your opinion. You must be able to see the grandstands when the WMT is in town from your almighty perch. It looks pretty good to me from my seat.

What happened did you not get a job that you wanted in NASCAR and your stuck in your Hartford Current job going nowhere and now your pissed off ?

What we need is some more doom and gloom from the champ Shawn.

Before you go bashing the WMT, why not do a little homework and compare the four Modified Tours that we have to pick from and I do support all of the Modified Tours . The WMT always has a full field of Mods, packed grandstands, the best purse and lets not forget about the point fund that NASCAR and Whelen pay the WMT. The TVMRS, ROC and the SWMT are not even in the same ballpark.

As far as Matt Hirschman and Chuck Hossfeld not getting a ride for 2009, they each have Modifieds sitting at home why not race them on the WMT. I like both drivers but they do run those Modifieds on the ROC Tour.
Matt has boxed himself in because Matt and Tony are Troyer dealers and will only drive Troyer Mods. Who has an open Troyer ride on the WMT ? If the WMT is so bad why is Chris Pasteryak the 2008 TVMRS Champion going for the NASCAR WMT Championship in 2009 ?

Do you think that the Cup, Nationwide,Truck and Camping World East Series pick the best drivers all the time. If you want to drive in any of those series you have to bring money. Wake up its the sign of the times. Do you think Joey L. did not have money behind him or did he get to the top on talent alone. T-Mac was let go by RCR because he did not bring money with him and the same for Santos with Bill Davis Racing.

As far as Monadnock, All-Star and Twin State running Modifieds weekly or bi-weekly that is what the paying race fan wants to see. The premier division at these tracks was LM, SLM or Pro Stocks and they only averaged 12 to 15 cars per week. Monadnock will only have 2 TVMRS events in 2009 down from the 5 events that they used to have thats a big loss of income that place was always packed when the Mods came to town. Thompson would be smart to run full bore Modifieds 30 Laps $3,000 to win every week along with the SK-Mods and street stocks and they would pack the place.

Jaws
02-26-2009, 06:48 PM
Shawn:
Do you ever have anything good to say about the WMT Tour.

Shawn do you pay at the gate or do you get in free because you claim to be a reporter ?? The paying fan that supports and follow the WMT does not share your opinion. You must be able to see the grandstands when the WMT is in town from your almighty perch. It looks pretty good to me from my seat.

What happened did you not get a job that you wanted in NASCAR and your stuck in your Hartford Current job going nowhere and now your pissed off ?

What we need is some more doom and gloom from the champ Shawn.

Before you go bashing the WMT, why not do a little homework and compare the four Modified Tours that we have to pick from and I do support all of the Modified Tours . The WMT always has a full field of Mods, packed grandstands, the best purse and lets not forget about the point fund that NASCAR and Whelen pay the WMT. The TVMRS, ROC and the SWMT are not even in the same ballpark.

As far as Matt Hirschman and Chuck Hossfeld not getting a ride for 2009, they each have Modifieds sitting at home why not race them on the WMT. I like both drivers but they do run those Modifieds on the ROC Tour.
Matt has boxed himself in because Matt and Tony are Troyer dealers and will only drive Troyer Mods. Who has an open Troyer ride on the WMT ? If the WMT is so bad why is Chris Pasteryak the 2008 TVMRS Champion going for the NASCAR WMT Championship in 2009 ?

Do you think that the Cup, Nationwide,Truck and Camping World East Series pick the best drivers all the time. If you want to drive in any of those series you have to bring money. Wake up its the sign of the times. Do you think Joey L. did not have money behind him or did he get to the top on talent alone. T-Mac was let go by RCR because he did not bring money with him and the same for Santos with Bill Davis Racing.

As far as Monadnock, All-Star and Twin State running Modifieds weekly or bi-weekly that is what the paying race fan wants to see. The premier division at these tracks was LM, SLM or Pro Stocks and they only averaged 12 to 15 cars per week. Monadnock will only have 2 TVMRS events in 2009 down from the 5 events that they used to have thats a big loss of income that place was always packed when the Mods came to town. Thompson would be smart to run full bore Modifieds 30 Laps $3,000 to win every week along with the SK-Mods and street stocks and they would pack the place.

What he said!!

How about we have the best, most passionate and devoted fans anywhere!

Come on Shawn say something nice, hell needs to freeze over!

BigMac
02-26-2009, 07:34 PM
It can't be all bad. The tour is running 4 races on Cup tracks, three of those are on Cup weekends with Cup drivers participating. The purses are pretty darn good at those tracks too. No doubt, Nascar has got to figure out how to get the New England short tracks back on the schedule. I know its easier said than done but there are way to many Nascar sanctioned tracks without a tour race. Do that, and we might be in business.

mikel 3
02-26-2009, 08:11 PM
The tour definately has some problems but its not all bad.This is the first time in a long time that we are finally getting some well deserved good press.What we really don"t need is some clown at the newspaper writing nothing but gloom and doom for the series.Evidently he knows a lot less about racing than he he thinks he knows.Example Logano anyone who knows even a little bit about racing knows that the kid and his phony little smile isn't where he is purley based on his talent.His family or someone and I don't mean Home Depot paid a whole lot of money in fact millions of dollars to put him in that ride.Maybe Gibbs will hire Shawn to carry Logano's helmet bag or something because we really don't need him around here. We are the best fans being loyal to series in racing,we just don't need the comments of that clown.

W. J.
02-26-2009, 08:17 PM
I've gotta laugh. You're all bashing Shawn for revealing the true state of the sport. He's just a man with a pencil who writes what he observes. If you can't see it, look a little more intensely. NASCAR could put up the money it takes to make this a touring division, but that would involve TV contracts. Instead, they signed a big contract with the 'networks' to broadcast their top 3, threw in 10 to 20% of that in the purse, and the rest went into their bank accounts. No trickle down to what the claim are developmental series. The aforementioned point funds are from (a portion, not all) of the sanctioning fees paid by the track promoters and a portion the sponsor fees Whelen kicks in.

Most tracks don't want WMT races any more because they have not made the return on investment they need to keep the gates open after paying the MANDATED minimum purse they agree to to get the date in the first place. Don't blame the promoter for wanting to make a profit. Without it, the bills don't get paid, and the track becomes a Mall!

I could go on, but Shawn explained pretty well what today's situation is, and all anyone wants to do so far is shoot the messenger for telling you all the truth.

RGeeProductions
02-26-2009, 09:29 PM
MJProcko and MOD11RACER: Very well written opinions......nice
One other comment irks me though. "Most tracks don't want WMT races any more because they have not made the return on investment they need to keep the gates open....." Is this why Riverhead, Chemung, Spencer, Stafford and Thompson are having races this year? Yes Thompson dropped 2 races but then again having 5 races of 16 or 14 at one track doesn't constitue a reasonable mix for the tour in my opinion. If the 5 tracks above were not turning some profit, they would not have had any dates this year. It is totally their choice to have a date and no one elses.....and they have dates....AND that's even Riverhead booking a date without a sponsor for the race!!!!!

RichKeator
02-26-2009, 10:24 PM
Gotta be careful with what I say here... As far as what Shawn covers from what Im told, and what he has posted in the past is often dictated by what the paper wants him to cover... just the other night they had him covering a high school basketball game... so can't bash the guy for primaril covering the Logano stuff during speedweeks...

and now lets be honest... as far as the tour goes... when you have 2 drivers who were in the top 5 in points without a ride, and you have a driver who openly said and i quote "It used to be that you felt like you were part of an important series when you told people you ran on the Modified Tour. That's not there really any more. Now, what does it really have?" and tracks cutting event out for whatever the reason my be... it cant be good.

Not going to bash the higher ups here but... when you have even the camping world series getting air time ALOT on speed, hdnet or whatever it is... can NASCAR throw the Mod tour a bone?!?! yes its regional and blah blah blah... but still I bet have of the country saw that NASCAR NOW interview and was like Holy crap what are those things. Aside from the NASCAR NOW moment the other night, and ok the 1 race that was taped delayed from New Hampshire when was the last time anyone has seen ANY TV coverage for the mods???

LiquidBread
02-27-2009, 12:01 AM
I'm hot and cold with Shawn, but I think you boys are killing the messenger with old Inky. He's dead on with this one. NASCAR has gotten in bed with Hollywood and now that the costs to run their Big 3 have gone off the planet, they've actually had to roll over and see what they've woken up next to.

The only reason that NASCAR has kept the "Tour" around this long is that they've always made money off of it. Now even that revenue stream is being pinched. The result is that we've got 14 races, payouts below 1985, and a ton of NASCAR overhead that no one will ever recoup. All with zero benefit of infrastructure, sanctioning, advertising, or TV exposure. Everyone is on their own, feed the monster or get eaten.

Before anyone chimes in that it's always been that way with drivers, owners, promoters, sponsors, etc., please stop. I've been around this sport since the 1970s and it hasn't. Donny Lia came the closest to stepping up in a long time, Chuck and Matt are without rides. Pretty big price to pay for the right to put the multicolor logo on your hauler and fire suit in my opinion.

If we truly are on our own, again I say it's time to control our own destiny. Ditch NASCAR, unify around ROC specs, run the thing from PA to Maine, and the whole enterprise has a chance to get healthy again. I point to WoO and DIRT. They've managed to survive a crummy economy so far and make a full time living doing it.

Oh by the way, enough with the 25th Anniversary nonsense. How about an accurate promotion ... "60 Years And Still Owning A Pair."?

Gil
02-27-2009, 01:18 AM
At least he was covering Joey and some other local guys. I'm sure you didn't see any front page news on Joey in other hometown newspapers. ps: I have no idea about Middletown, CT paper as I haven't read it in years.

catfish
02-27-2009, 09:13 AM
Shawn made good points, although i understand your point RGee, Riverhead, Chemung, and Spencer are all Flash races which Nascar came up with when alot of small tracks cried uncle and were not going to have a race. So Nascar agreed to the flash races and a reduced payout to the drivers. Do we know for sure if they reduced the dollars being paid to them as well or was it only the teams that got the short end of the stick.

Bobby1717
02-27-2009, 09:56 AM
Everyone has made some good points however if it wasn't for Shawn then we would never read anything about the modifieds in a state wide paper (The Courant). No disrespect to the guys who report in the local papers in Norwich or Manchester. We don't have to agree with everything that is written but at least it is coverd by someone.

MJProcko
02-27-2009, 10:57 AM
Thanx Richie,
good point about the tracks making money, I can tell you actually read the article, some I'm not so sure about. Thompson can whine about the tour all they want but when it comes right down to it the 3 biggest attendend events of the year for them will be all 3 tour races. Hands down.

The article wasn't about nascar's problems with the tour, we know they are there. The article was about how unfair that Matt and Chuck didn't have rides and that it was the owners fault and that this was something that could only happen on the mean and evil modified tour when "shopping out" rides is really far more frequent in the big 3 series.
Look, if Matt and Chuck can't afford to run their own teams on the tour how can you blame an owner that faces the same costs. And thats just assuming the reason they are out of rides is financing, I know I don't know all the behind the scenes details, do all of you? Besides if Chuck doesn't see the tour as that "important" anymore he won't miss it much will he?

I know if I was an owner of a full time WMT team and sponsorship not being an issue and I was looking at the "unsigned drivers" out there right now I'd definatly meet with both of them as they would be very high on my list. As would guys like Keith Rocco, Bobby Grigas, Billy Pauch and Reggie. But I think as for a young and upcoming driver I'd be inclined to have Bobby Santos III at the top of that list at this point. Ofcourse that would also come down how well we mesh as a team among other things because that is just as important as who is in it the car.

Now if I was a team that needed financing than I need to look to a guy that might not be as "highly rated" but still a good shoe because now i have to think about what makes the team the most competitive and not being able to get out on the track doesn't make a team competitive. Sometimes you need to do what gets the car out on the track not even Richie Evans could win a race from the grandstands... although he'd try like heck. Point being Shawn can whine all he wants but there is nothing to say that a guy that is not in the top 5 in points couldn't do just as well in those top cars given the chance. Matter of fact one of them did before and now is back in that car.

limodmaniac
02-27-2009, 03:32 PM
Why does it cost so much more to run the Whelen Tour than the ROC? Is it really necessary for guys to put on a brand new set of tires for practice??

Couldn't Riverhead, Spencer or Chemung find a sponsor that could add enough money to the purse to become a higher paying race? Even if they can't pay higher for every position, couldn't they get a sponsor to pay the winner , and extra 5 thousand dollars and make it a bit more exciting?

I agree with Bobby, no need to bash Shawn. At least he writes about the modifieds.

I will never go to an East Series race as a stand alone event. That is my protest against Nascar for ever coming up with the idea in the first place. That's when they should have invested big money into the modifieds. Instead they event a new touring series right in the modified backyard. Shame on Nascar for ever doing that!

I go see the modifieds race. I like them in all forms, Whelen, ROC, True Value, weekly shows and special shows.

We've all been complaining about Nascars treatment of the modifieds for years and nothing has changed and it won't .

MJProcko
02-27-2009, 03:53 PM
LIM,

I read an article regarding speedway expo and was dissapointed in one of their awards:

Race Fan of the Year: Brian Bedell, Bethany Bell, Kyle McGowan, and Bob Tinkham

Not that I would now if the above were worthy of the honor or not but I don't see how you got snubbed. here's to ya...:cheers:

http://yankeeracer.com/2009/02/26/top-racers-to-be-honored-at-speedwayexpo/

limodmaniac
02-27-2009, 04:22 PM
I guess I didn't campaign for it. Actually , I hate awards.. But in my attempt to become fan of the year next year... I promise ( as do all politicians) the following:

1. I will sponsor Eddie Brunnhoelzl

2. I will sponsor Matt Hirschman

3. I will sponsor Doug Coby

4. I will sponsor Chuck Hossfeld

5. I will sponsor the tour race at Riverhead

6. I will sponsor a 100 lap race at Mahoning (my favorite little track)

7. I will sponsor one True Value race ( at Seekonk or All Star!)

8. I will sponsor one ROC race at Chemung ( my favorite NY track)

9. I will sponsor a few laps at the Turkey Derby

10. I will go on at least one of Teddy's bus trips!!!

PS If you could pick one of the above, what would you do?????

catfish
02-27-2009, 04:37 PM
I have know idea what the figure is but you can bet the $ to Nascar is probably dam near the same as the purse. If i am wrong it can't be that far off

Modfan14
02-27-2009, 07:21 PM
no matter if you agree or disagree with Shawn at least he covers the wmt.unlike those 2 clowns who proclaim to be reporters.

uticamike
03-01-2009, 11:33 AM
I read this thread in reverse meaning I read your thoughts before going back to read Shawn's thoughts. I think he has made many valid points with regard
to today's WMT. Modifieds, I think most of you will agree have a very loyal and passionate following. I'm sure some of you feel personally offended by Shawns' words. Being a life long Mod fan myself and recently getting back into it (as crew) the best thing about that is rubbing elbows with fellow
affectionados. Mods fall into a category unlike most others. They're stock cars without all the body work. They're not Indy types yet they have open wheels. They're not sprints, supers or Go karts but have elements of each.
The Northeast type ( and yes the mid-atlantic southern) Modified is not found anywhere else in the country. Thank God we have them in our back yard. Fender cars, sprints ,supers et al are raced all over the country. From a mass merchandising stand point (anybody want to argue NASCAR isn't about that), they are a tough sell. There is precious little tin to splash a sponser(s)
name over it making it a tough TV sell. It was also noted correctly they are raced,owned and crewed by partime, non"proffesional" people for the most part yet some of these teams spend what seems like unlimited bucks. Big time dollars in a small time world.(from a purse stand point). The current Tour
races on 5 weekly tracks and only one (Riverhead) has Tour Type (TT) Mods
racing regularly. ( lets not get into the whole SST/SK thing..please). They
do however, entertain in ways other series can't. They are equally at home on 1/4 bullrings (find someone who doesn't like MVS) as well as places like
NHIS. I saw them there last year and had a perm-a-grin on my face for days after. They used to be a springboard to the big time, but no longer are. A driver development series they ain't. My guess is you won't find youngsters
like Ryan Preece or Eric Rudolph in them in a couple years if they can find the $$ to buy seats in a DD series.(boo). One thing I'm thankful for is the ROC and TVMS help push NASCAR to work on the WMT as competition is always a good thing. Good racing is where you find it. Whelens, ROC or TVMS makes no differance to me so...bring them on.

oleblue
03-01-2009, 02:20 PM
ive been a huge modified fan since a little boy when my grandfather brought us up to stafford and the park. i thank shawn for his coverage of the modifed tour, without him we just have that much beside aarn. everybody has their opinion ,so thats we are on this board to express ourselves on the state of the modifeds. ive being going to nhms since its beginnig but i rather pull the camper to stafford or any track that modifieds are running and enjoy the race and the people. in my opinion there are no better fans than modifieds fans. i love the older drivers and younger ones too. lets go racing and have great times together. cant wait for the icebreaker and the entire 2009 season.