PDA

View Full Version : Riverhead Renovation Proposal

edwardsd510
02-27-2009, 03:59 PM
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum, but I'm not new to Riverhead Raceway. My dad used to race at the old Islip and Freeport speedways. He stopped racing around the mid to late 80's and I grew up going to Riverhead and seeing his friends race there.

I had an idea that I thought was cool, and would be good for the track. They should expand the track to 3/8 mile and make it a little wider. This would make for faster and more competitive racing, by adding another line, than just one. Now I've heard the Mod tour guys don't really look forward to the Riverhead portion of the schedule. I think they would want to race there more if it was bigger, and it would draw more people to the track. Also, if the area around the track was maintained more I think it could attract more sponsors and more fans. The only way any of this would happen is if someone with a lot of freakin money bought the track and had it's best interests in mind.

Let me know what you guys think, if you like it or don't. Maybe it could happen one day.

catfish
02-27-2009, 04:35 PM
LOL, the town won't let them race but a very few days a year, and in the past it was pulling teeth to enlarge the pit area. There is very little if any chance at of the town allowing them to increase the track size. Hell will freeze over first i am afraid.

The Bullfather
02-27-2009, 06:58 PM
global warming????

catfish
02-27-2009, 07:17 PM
Not gonna warm up that fast,lol

Jaws
02-27-2009, 08:18 PM
Great idea but never going to happen, thats why they invented road trips!

redwiteandblue
02-28-2009, 06:58 PM
i maybe wrong (but i dont think so)i dont belive the track can be sold,something about if its sold it reverts back to the estate that actually owns it.

Dave A
02-28-2009, 09:11 PM
If You Build It, They Will Conme!!!!!!!!

W. J.
02-28-2009, 10:46 PM
i maybe wrong (but i dont think so)i dont belive the track can be sold,something about if its sold it reverts back to the estate that actually owns it.Close. They have first right of refusal if it's put on the market.

LongIslandJam
02-28-2009, 11:07 PM
I've been to many tracks around the Northeast and some of the best are quarter-miles. Size is only one factor. And, for the most part, Riverhead actually has some of the best racing around.

Mod Tour guys have traditionally never been fans of Riverhead. It's an out-of-way track for many of them and it's one of the toughest to qualify for - especially since a shorter track limits the amount of money it takes to go fast, thus providing an advantage for experienced locals.

As I said, size only does not make a great racetrack. There's more to the equation of a successful venue.:)

Teds Race Tours
03-01-2009, 01:30 AM
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum, but I'm not new to Riverhead Raceway. My dad used to race at the old Islip and Freeport speedways. He stopped racing around the mid to late 80's and I grew up going to Riverhead and seeing his friends race there.

I had an idea that I thought was cool, and would be good for the track. They should expand the track to 3/8 mile and make it a little wider. This would make for faster and more competitive racing, by adding another line, than just one. Now I've heard the Mod tour guys don't really look forward to the Riverhead portion of the schedule. I think they would want to race there more if it was bigger, and it would draw more people to the track. Also, if the area around the track was maintained more I think it could attract more sponsors and more fans. The only way any of this would happen is if someone with a lot of freakin money bought the track and had it's best interests in mind.

Let me know what you guys think, if you like it or don't. Maybe it could happen one day.

Is Bruce Edwards your dad?

richardpetey
03-01-2009, 01:35 AM
Just ask the fat lady..................................:eek:
UNCLE PETEY.................:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

Jeff T
03-03-2009, 07:40 AM
This biggest problem with trying to enlarge Riverhead is not the town, believe it or not, but the way the track is situated on the property. The track is layed out in such a way that it can't be expanded. Turn two runs almost to the drive way, which then becomes LIPA right of way property, and turn four runs almost to the woods where the property line is. Escentually, there is absolutely no room for growth on either side of the track.

SuperShafts
03-08-2009, 12:51 PM
If you were going to redo the track why wouldn't you turn the entire track slightly just that little bit it needed not to infringe on the 2 property lines...
Simply adding as little as 10 feet to each turn and 30 feet to each straight would change the track entirely and make racing different, would it be enough for modifieds, would the money be there to go with the safety for the increased speeds...

If you think the town isn't a issue Go and talk about it at the town and wait and see how many people living among RHT want that track gone....and since last effort there are 2 on the board that don't hate motorsports

You couldn't believe how many bigoted/racist like pos people living in RHT want it gone, hate that track...

I met more people against motorsports then i did for motorsports when fighting for epcal...

Besides if you think the town isn't the problem, try just replacing all the old stuff with new.

Ka$h25
03-08-2009, 01:05 PM
I'll be happier with cheaper french fries. :lol:

fisherman
03-08-2009, 01:33 PM
I'll be happier with cheaper french fries. :lol:

go to mcdonalds:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: