PDA

View Full Version : Tom O’Rorke Will Be Race Director At Wall Speedway

RGeeProductions
03-08-2009, 09:47 PM
Respected former Wall Stadium Pit Steward Tom O’Rorke will return to the speedway where he served for so many years as Race Director for the 2009 season. The announcement, made by promoter Jim Morton at the Garden State Vintage Stock Car Club Hall of Fame Dinner on Saturday night, was received with enthusiastic applause by those in attendance.

“Tom had the toughest job in racing when he was pit steward here at Wall,” Morton said. “His credibility and knowledge is exactly what we need to restore the track to its glory days. Tom was always fair in the on track decisions he made and always kept the racing program moving along quickly. I am thrilled that he has decided to join us this season.”

“I have always said that I am here to do anything that I can to help Wall Stadium,” O’Rorke said. “The place is so special to so many of us. I spent so many years of my life there. I’ve made so many friends there and watched so many people grow up there. Anything I can do to help Wall Stadium you can count me in!”

The first events of the new season are set for this Saturday, March 14, as the speedway, along with organizers Earl and Doug Megill, present a racing Swap Meet from 7:30 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. Information can be obtained at 732-681-3776 or at cdr30@optonline.net.

Also on Saturday, March 14, the speedway’s “Sunday Series” will present its “Promotional Day” which features racecar driving lessons and actual behind the wheel driving experience. The hotline number for “Promotional Day” information and to register is 908-783-1790. More information can be obtained on the “Sunday Series” website at http://wtssundayseries.synthasite.com.

One week later, on Saturday, March 21, on track action starts for the 2009 season as the speedway will offer its first paid practice session from 10:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. Fans will be admitted to the grandstands free of charge.

For the auto racers and their fans tentative plans call for several early season paid practice sessions before races are presented on selected weekends in April and May. Several racing events will then be presented on selected Saturday nights during the summer months before the annual Turkey Derby caps off the season.

In addition to the auto racing events, Morton is currently working with various promoters in an effort to bring other “family friendly” shows and events to the Wall Township stadium this season. Details will be announced soon. Wall Township Speedway is located on Route 34 in Wall Township , N.J. , just one mile north of Garden State Parkway exit 98 and Interstate 195 exit 35B. The speedway hotline number is 732-681-6400. More information is available at www.wallspeedway.com.

Jeff Gravatt